2 killed as car rips in half

2 killed as car rips in half

There are 36 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 29, 2007, titled 2 killed as car rips in half. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

One moment, the residential street in west suburban Riverside was quiet. The next, the terrible din of twisting metal filled the night air and shook nearby homes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
britt m

Oak Park, IL

#1 Jan 29, 2007
adam was very funny and such a good friend. he has tons of friends that will miss him. rip adam :(
RB HIGH

Pleasanton, CA

#2 Jan 29, 2007
were was the riverside police to stop this from happening this is a joke!!!!!!!
sluggo

Hephzibah, GA

#3 Jan 29, 2007
''We believe the vehicle was traveling far in excess of the posted 25 m.p.h''
for a car to be cut in half,the driver had to be going 3-4 times the posted speed limit.

oh well we never learn ...speed kills..
theres always a non-believer..
sternfannetwork

Boca Raton, FL

#4 Jan 29, 2007
There go insurance premiums another 10%
Cary IL Native

Warren, NJ

#6 Jan 29, 2007
I don't know what is going on with the teens in Illinois these days. It is so sad to see such tradgedy happen in my old stomping grounds. SLOW DOWN! I grew up in Cary, where there was only 1 traffic light til I was in High-School...we all need to slow down. Speed and distractions do kill...I know adults do the same things, however they have a lot more experience being stupid behind the wheel...and it shouldn't be monkey see monkey do.
Take a Rolaids

Germany

#7 Jan 29, 2007
Sad for the innocent ones. But then again, why couldn't anyone tell him to slow down, or let them out?
Where are their brains at that moment?
kiki

Rockford, IL

#8 Jan 29, 2007
i didnt really now adam but from what i hear about him he sounds like a really nice guy also i knew hhis friend jon so i would always see them skateboarding together and its so tragic to hear about car crashes and kids dying im 14 and i hear this stuff and im so sad even if i didnt really know the person
but even though i didnt know him
r.i.p adam
MADDOG

Eustis, FL

#9 Jan 29, 2007
PUNKS
My Opinion

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#10 Jan 29, 2007
I feel bad for those who were killed, and for their families, but I have to say, "in My opinion", someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get a car airborne 8 feet doing 25 mph. There is just no way. I also don't believe a car would split in half at that speed either.
SRT-4 Owner

Northbrook, IL

#11 Jan 29, 2007
That car should not have been in the hands of a 17 year old person. During the years it was made (03-05) it was the second fastest car that Dodge made, trumped only by a Dodge Viper.

It is not an easy car to drive and if driven by an inexperienced person can lead to some bad things happening.... this wreck being the extreme.

This is not the fault of the police. The police do not prevent this type of situation... they react to its consequences or to issues that may cause this situation. Should we have a policeperson on every street corner 24x7? What good would that do... they might get to the wreck site a little quicker though, eh?

It is the fault of the driver for making a poor decision and the parents of the driver for letting this child have a very dangerous toy.

Who in their right mind would think that it is appropriate to give a 240+ horsepower heavily turbo-charged Dodge Neon to a child?!

It is a tragedy, an avoidable tragedy. This situation should never have happened. Lack of experience and four kids goofing aroun is a bad combination. Cleanly tearing a car in half like that would require speeds in excess of 80 MPH. And htis car can hit those speeds in around 8 seconds, perhaps less.

Sad, very sad. It is sad that an extreme had to occur in order to teach a lesson. My thoughts go out to those so devistatingly impacted by this tragic situatoin.
Carmen

Berwyn, IL

#12 Jan 29, 2007
sternfannetwork wrote:
one of my friends is dead and another one mihgt die too. She shudnt have been going that fast but for u to make a comment like that makes u worse then her if i ever saw u i beat ur ass!
Columbus Short

Chesapeake, VA

#14 Jan 29, 2007
What up baby
Diane

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Jan 29, 2007
Say a prayer for the parents, friends and the survivors who are going thru such a terrible grief stricken time right now. Unfortunately, we can't change the outcome of the accident, but it may make someone else think twice. It always seems to happen to someone else. but not today...
sluggo

Hephzibah, GA

#16 Jan 29, 2007
My Opinion wrote:
I feel bad for those who were killed, and for their families, but I have to say, "in My opinion", someone correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get a car airborne 8 feet doing 25 mph. There is just no way. I also don't believe a car would split in half at that speed either.
I like your opinion.
sluggo

Hephzibah, GA

#17 Jan 29, 2007
Carmen wrote:
<quoted text>
one of my friends is dead and another one mihgt die too. She shudnt have been going that fast but for u to make a comment like that makes u worse then her if i ever saw u i beat ur ass!
hey hey hey

freedom of speech is legal

but beating someone's ass isn't
Just Another One

Berwyn, IL

#18 Jan 29, 2007
Adam and Stan were amazing people to those who knew them and yeah, it was a dumb mistake to be going that fast, but now 2 of my friends are gone and it kills me inside that some people can just say, "They had it coming because of their speed," and brush it off. Theses were actual teenagers. They could have been friends of some of your kids and you can feel no sympathy for them. It's a sad world that we've come to live in if all that can come of a death of 2 people I cared about was, "There goes my insurance." Yes, free speech is legal and I am here to freely state that Adam and Stan were 2 very funny, kind, and fun-loving individuals before they got called into the Great Beyond. If anyone feels they should retort or shoot back with some smart-ass comment, then do so, but just think how you'd feel if your own child died like this. Or if one of your friends died like this. Just keep that in mind and think twice before you comment on this.
A mom

United States

#19 Jan 30, 2007
Just Another One wrote:
Adam and Stan were amazing people to those who knew them and yeah, it was a dumb mistake to be going that fast, but now 2 of my friends are gone and it kills me inside that some people can just say, "They had it coming because of their speed," and brush it off. Theses were actual teenagers. They could have been friends of some of your kids and you can feel no sympathy for them. It's a sad world that we've come to live in if all that can come of a death of 2 people I cared about was, "There goes my insurance." Yes, free speech is legal and I am here to freely state that Adam and Stan were 2 very funny, kind, and fun-loving individuals before they got called into the Great Beyond. If anyone feels they should retort or shoot back with some smart-ass comment, then do so, but just think how you'd feel if your own child died like this. Or if one of your friends died like this. Just keep that in mind and think twice before you comment on this.
I couldn't have put it better. Some of these callous remarks are horrendous. I got down on my knees yesterday and cried and prayed for the parents of these kids. It was one moment of being careless and feeling that nothing bad could happen--unfortunately that can be the mindset of many teens, including myself at that age. Do not be so quick to judge. They were good kids just out together on a Saturday night. All of you teenagers that are reading this--PLEASE take this terrible tragedy to heart and drive safely--one moment of carefree fun is not worth your life or the lives of others...
A mom

United States

#20 Jan 30, 2007
I couldn't have put it better. Some of these callous remarks are horrendous. I got down on my knees yesterday and cried and prayed for the parents of these kids. It was one moment of being careless and feeling that nothing bad could happen--unfortunately, that can be the mindset of many teens, including myself at that age. Do not be so quick to judge. They were good kids just out together on a Saturday night. All of you teenagers that are reading this--PLEASE take this terrible tragedy to heart and drive safely--one moment of carefree "fun" is not worth your life or the lives of others...
Totally

Canada

#21 Jan 30, 2007
Just Another One wrote:
I totally agree with you. This is very sad and my sincere condolences go out to families and friends. They are suffering enough now they do not need any callous remarks about this tragedy. RIP to the young souls.
Totally

Canada

#22 Jan 30, 2007
sternfannetwork wrote:
JERK, are you just thinking of yourself. Think of the loss of young lives and the heartbreak of the families and friends.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 2 hr Attention 10,341
She Gone 4 hr Keep my fingers c... 8
Never Criticize Big Slow Ed 4 hr Read before you a... 58
Big Surprise The Commissioner lies Mon No sighting of Moody 26
Original Melrose Parkers, not Taylor Street des... (Sep '15) Sun mppeppertoo 27
15th ave book store Sat Lowest of Them All 5
Poll Which Town is the Most Corrupt? (Feb '08) Sat S town 4 sure 30

Riverside Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance