Riverhead protest targets Grumman sit...

Riverhead protest targets Grumman site in Calverton

There are 51 comments on the Newsday story from May 6, 2008, titled Riverhead protest targets Grumman site in Calverton. In it, Newsday reports that:

Environmental advocates and civic groups gathered outside Riverhead Town Hall Tuesday to protest a planned resort at the former Grumman property in Calverton.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Sean Bells a redneck too

West Sayville, NY

#23 May 7, 2008
Bring on the Nascar, nasty tap beer and stained wife-beaters!! That'll fix it all! YEEE HAAWWWW!!
WHITE TRASH HERO

West Babylon, NY

#24 May 7, 2008
Lets have a motorsports protest!
Everbody bring down there cars and we can scare the stupid owls and salamanders off the property.
We are not going away!!!!
RIP IT UP BROS!!!
East Ender

United States

#25 May 7, 2008
I recently was in the Carolina's and I can honestly say there is more White Trash on Long Island than the Charolotte area of NC. I am glad I have a long term plan to escape from this dumpy wasteland. I can see why North Carolinan's hate Long Islanders. I wonder of a Indoor Ski Slope would be popular next to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC????
ttt

Huntington, NY

#26 May 7, 2008
I say put an amusement park there (bigger then the 70 acre proposed one).

Great adventure in jackson nj has 1800 acres with only 600 developed.

An amusement park would be the best mix of saving the environment and employment. IT wouldnt be open all year round so it would only be busy from about april to october.
Now Ive Seen It All

New Canaan, CT

#27 May 7, 2008
Sing along with me here...
Gimme an N, gimme an I, gimme an M, gimme a B, gimme a Y, whatayagot NIMBY! Long Island's state slogan LOL (2nd runner up: "I gotz mines!")
Not Compassionate

Stony Brook, NY

#28 May 7, 2008
This is all propogated by Cheney who brought down Grummann in the first place.
Not Compassionate

Stony Brook, NY

#29 May 7, 2008
THE FRITO BANDITO wrote:
I have never seen so much incompetence and stupidity in a deal over land. I wonder who is going to get the kickbacks on this one. If you want to boost the economy put in something that will generate it, A SKI HILL??? Put in a local jetport housing UPS, Fed-Ex, etc. Make it the gateway to the East End. Goes to show you what developes when you let local politicians make a decision. SKI HILL?? They should be ashamed. Stupid is as stupid does.
Dick Cheney gets all the kickbacks
Now Ive Seen It All

New Canaan, CT

#30 May 7, 2008
Boston RedCock wrote:
Give me a Break!, You mean to tell me that if One of these Owls or salamanders were living on my property I would have to move because I reside too close to where it lives.. PLEASE You people will just hold up progress because you are ignorant to except change.
I do agree that a Ski resort is a bad idea, But I would Love to see a NASCAR Track put in it's place.
Long Island needs a boost in economy to reduce the high tax rate.
Let me ask this, Does that Damm Owl or salamander Pay Property Tax for the land it resides on, NO, then kicks it's feathered (_)_) out of the forest and let it move in with one of the environmentalists who are trying to protest it.
I can see it now, a (yuppie) ski resort crossed with a (white trash) NASCAR track far out on the end of a 15 mile wide sandbar. Who in their right mind would suggest such a thing? LOL

What we need is affordable housing and jobs so build a jumbo Walmart and bring in 1500 trailers and ...oops, I just described Alabama. My bad.
Now Ive Seen It All

New Canaan, CT

#31 May 7, 2008
Addition to above...

Or the Mastic Chamber of Commerce's wet dream!
Miss Forrest Gump

Bronx, NY

#32 May 7, 2008
just a thought wrote:
"I do agree that a Ski resort is a bad idea, But I would Love to see a NASCAR Track put in it's place."
with the state of available oil resources, any "sport" that uses gas as frivolously as nascar racing, or monster truck tractor pulls, or drag racing super funny cars, stock car demo-derby dune buggy hoe-down, or any other stupid redneck fuel wasting past time should be illegal.
for crist's sake, what the hell is the appeal anyway?
That was a great response. Loved it and TOTALLY agree with you.
Jay

United States

#34 May 7, 2008
East Ender wrote:
I recently was in the Carolina's and I can honestly say there is more White Trash on Long Island than the Charolotte area of NC. I am glad I have a long term plan to escape from this dumpy wasteland. I can see why North Carolinan's hate Long Islanders. I wonder of a Indoor Ski Slope would be popular next to Lowe's Motor Speedway in Concord, NC????
Sure, the reason they hate Long Islanders has nothing to do with the blue blood lacrosse players from Garden City, right?
Hiker

North Babylon, NY

#35 May 7, 2008
A ski resort??? On LI??? You want to ski, go to the mountains. You want to ski on LI, water ski.

How about a windmill park or a solar tower that will generate some clean alternate source fuel to help stem the pain of paying LIPA every frigging month and stop funding the Islamic terrorists!!
Now Ive Seen It All

New Canaan, CT

#36 May 7, 2008
Miss Forrest Gump wrote:
<quoted text>
That was a great response. Loved it and TOTALLY agree with you.
I am certainly no fan of redneck road rage disguised as a "sport", but focusing on motorsports because they use fuel completely ignores the damage done by people travelling to ANY venue for baseball, football, the circus, soccer, hell even the LI Marathon involved thousands DRIVING to the site.
former Calverton Resident

Calabasas, CA

#37 May 7, 2008
Duh wrote:
Jet port now! Its an ideal place for it, has the runways and buffers away from residential lands. No one complained when the navy jets were tested there ... the commerical one would be quieter too! Duh!
The ski mountain will fail... Nascar might do well, but needs more to draw the crowds.
Or leave the land vacant and just raise taxes for Riverhead residents!!
I lived about 2 miles from the "north gate" on Rt 25 while Grumman was fully operational. Ther was some jet noise but we lived with it as Grumman was there first and was one of the major employers.
With Grummann gone the former "buffer zones" have been built up.
Eastern Long Island needs to court business that will bring living wage careers end the brain drain
wow

South Salem, NY

#38 May 7, 2008
Keep it Green. A nice A.T.V. park with riding trails for A.T.V,s and mountain bikes. Maybe even some hiking trails. Get the youth of this Island off there rear ends away from the computer screens x-boxes and out into a little old fashioned mud and dirt. Would be inexpensive to create. Make money, kind to the enviroment and make a hell of a lot more sense then a 350 foot indoor ski mntn. A drag strip for cars would be helpfull in cutting down on all this drag raceing on public roads.
Mikem

Mamaroneck, NY

#39 May 7, 2008
These tree huggers wouldn't let Grumman back inside the fence.Even if they guaranteed 10,000 jobs.
Mikem

Mamaroneck, NY

#40 May 7, 2008
East Ender wrote:
Glad you're leaving. What color trash will you be with?
Mikem

Mamaroneck, NY

#41 May 7, 2008
TollJob wrote:
Get off while you still can.
No future.
No industry.
Can't afford to buy a home.
Can't afford to rent decent home.
Taxes too high.
No jobs (except service related).
Long Island was nice years ago, but now it just sucks.
Right and Florida
wages can compare with Long Island's?
NIMBY Island

Trumbull, CT

#42 May 7, 2008
Mikem wrote:
These tree huggers wouldn't let Grumman back inside the fence.Even if they guaranteed 10,000 jobs.
So true!
just a thought

Yorktown Heights, NY

#44 May 8, 2008
Now Ive Seen It All wrote:
<quoted text>
I am certainly no fan of redneck road rage disguised as a "sport", but focusing on motorsports because they use fuel completely ignores the damage done by people travelling to ANY venue for baseball, football, the circus, soccer, hell even the LI Marathon involved thousands DRIVING to the site.
every sports arena should have a mass transit terminal, or it should not be built. that takes care of the "spectators". as far as singling out motosports, let me ask you if there are any drag racing trains and busses? of course i singled out motorsports because they in fact use fuel as a primary componant, and i feel the sports themselves are kinda stupid and wastefull.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverhead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
horse boarding (Jan '13) 8 hr Dans Special Sauce 47
Edinburg school Sep 6 Really 2
Sal "The Voice" Valentinetti Debuts #1 on ITUNES Aug '17 Roc Maven 2
Principal Helen Anne Livingston of St. Isisdore... (Apr '15) Jul '17 Ken 2
Son Beaten by Riverhead Jail Sargent (Jan '09) Jul '17 SLAUS 177
Quogue Music Thread (Aug '15) Jul '17 Musikologist 5
Bittrolff (Feb '17) Jul '17 Mastic Man 4

Riverhead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance