Riverhead protest targets Grumman site in Calverton

Full story: Newsday 51
Environmental advocates and civic groups gathered outside Riverhead Town Hall Tuesday to protest a planned resort at the former Grumman property in Calverton. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Boston RedCock

Middle Island, NY

#2 May 6, 2008
Give me a Break!, You mean to tell me that if One of these Owls or salamanders were living on my property I would have to move because I reside too close to where it lives.. PLEASE You people will just hold up progress because you are ignorant to except change.

I do agree that a Ski resort is a bad idea, But I would Love to see a NASCAR Track put in it's place.

Long Island needs a boost in economy to reduce the high tax rate.

Let me ask this, Does that Damm Owl or salamander Pay Property Tax for the land it resides on, NO, then kicks it's feathered (_)_) out of the forest and let it move in with one of the environmentalists who are trying to protest it.

Since: Mar 07

Location hidden

#3 May 6, 2008
Boston RedCock wrote:
It's never gonna happen. All the towns will raise property taxes till it drives us into bankruptcy. Then once Suffolk government realizes that no one is paying taxes anymore to support their rich lifestyle they'll all move off Long Island leaving us here to rot.
TollJob

Safety Harbor, FL

#4 May 7, 2008
Get off while you still can.

No future.

No industry.

Can't afford to buy a home.

Can't afford to rent decent home.

Taxes too high.

No jobs (except service related).

Long Island was nice years ago, but now it just sucks.
THE FRITO BANDITO

Patchogue, NY

#5 May 7, 2008
I have never seen so much incompetence and stupidity in a deal over land. I wonder who is going to get the kickbacks on this one. If you want to boost the economy put in something that will generate it, A SKI HILL??? Put in a local jetport housing UPS, Fed-Ex, etc. Make it the gateway to the East End. Goes to show you what developes when you let local politicians make a decision. SKI HILL?? They should be ashamed. Stupid is as stupid does.
no nascar no ski resort

Huntington Station, NY

#6 May 7, 2008
Boston RedCock wrote:
I do agree that a Ski resort is a bad idea, But I would Love to see a NASCAR Track put in it's place.
A NASCAR track or a ski resort - neither will "boost the economy". They will just generate more traffic on an already overburdened Island. Neither will do anything to reduce taxes. We are taxed to death by school districts and special districts. What we need is a major overhaul of how these districts are organized (consolidate) in order to reduce the high paying jobs that cause us to be taxed to death.
That aside, what is wrong with returning the land to it's original condition? Why must we pave over every piece of open space? LI is a beautiful place (at least what's left of it in its natural form). Let's try to save some of that before there's nothing to save.
Duh

Brooklyn, NY

#7 May 7, 2008
Jet port now! Its an ideal place for it, has the runways and buffers away from residential lands. No one complained when the navy jets were tested there ... the commerical one would be quieter too! Duh!

The ski mountain will fail... Nascar might do well, but needs more to draw the crowds.

Or leave the land vacant and just raise taxes for Riverhead residents!!
just a thought

Elizabeth, NJ

#8 May 7, 2008
"I do agree that a Ski resort is a bad idea, But I would Love to see a NASCAR Track put in it's place."

with the state of available oil resources, any "sport" that uses gas as frivolously as nascar racing, or monster truck tractor pulls, or drag racing super funny cars, stock car demo-derby dune buggy hoe-down, or any other stupid redneck fuel wasting past time should be illegal.
for crist's sake, what the hell is the appeal anyway?
Spuds

Wichita, KS

#9 May 7, 2008
This has been said 100 times ..... the only reason a 350 ft indoor ski "mountain" is being built, is because pockets got lined !!! None of these people ski, if they did, they would relize how stupid this idea sounds ... wasn't Bald Hill about 350 ft ??
Wilkos

Coram, NY

#10 May 7, 2008
let's put a hiring hall there for the illegals. let's rub their bellies and pat them on the back for coming here and not paying taxes. while we're at it, let's rub the bellies of the sex offenders and let them live their rent free.
Jay

United States

#11 May 7, 2008
"Riverhead Supervisor Phil Cardinale... said that a town-led environmental review would still allow independent findings from all the involved agencies such as the state Department of Environmental Conservation and the county health department."
The protesters were right: this is a total and obvious conflict of interest when the town is the lead agency in the environmental review. They stand the most to gain. Why not leave it to an independent commission to conduct the study. Or is the DEC not enough of an expert agency?

It is so easy for King Phil to have the various agencies downplay the effect on the environment in their reports in order to skew public opinion.

Don't let the talking heads convince you that a freakin' ski hill on flat land will boost the local economy. It's the police and school unions that are the largest tax burden on you and I. Just read Monday's Newsday regarding school administrators retiring then returning to work. State regulations and the whole sense of entitlement allows them to collect a pension while receiving a full salary. This is ridiculous!!!

This dumb ski hill will be an eyesore just as bad as the Central Islip Federal Court Building. It will require huge amounts of power in a power grid that is already overburdened. When will these civic "leaders" wake up and smell the coffee?

Riverhead is already enjoying huge tax benefits from the outlets and all the new retail shops along CR 58. Greed, not common sense, is driving Phil Cardinale's decision.
Jay

United States

#12 May 7, 2008
Duh wrote:
Jet port now! Its an ideal place for it, has the runways and buffers away from residential lands. No one complained when the navy jets were tested there ... the commerical one would be quieter too! Duh!
I totally agree, but the NIMBYs won't have the little (or big) airplanes. They just don't understand the idea of two perfectly good, usable runways and the economic benefits of an airport. After all, there's a FedEx depot less than 10 miles away that would create even more jobs for Riverhead.
MeII

Rocky Point, NY

#13 May 7, 2008
You idiots who are whining about town taxes and think that this development will help - I have a question for you; have your taxes gone down while development has gone wild the past ten years? So why do you think they'll go down if the ski hill is built? You are suckers. Also, look at your tax bill. The Town taxes are a little fraction, you have to do something about schools to control taxes. And guess what, all those low wage employees at the ski mountain are going to have their kids in your schools. How are you going to like paying for that?

Since: Apr 08

Pelham, NY

#14 May 7, 2008
why aren;t there any major league teams, baseball football or basketball hailing from Long Island?
with all the vast expanses of land available why aren't the filthy rich getting filthier? guess its much easier to trade a dot.com than it is to build a stadium and purchase a team or two for long islanders to root for? wish i had the resources things would change for the betterment of the long island dream
Wilkos

Coram, NY

#15 May 7, 2008
MeII wrote:
You idiots who are whining about town taxes and think that this development will help - I have a question for you; have your taxes gone down while development has gone wild the past ten years? So why do you think they'll go down if the ski hill is built? You are suckers. Also, look at your tax bill. The Town taxes are a little fraction, you have to do something about schools to control taxes. And guess what, all those low wage employees at the ski mountain are going to have their kids in your schools. How are you going to like paying for that?
i love paying for it, just like all the illegals. let's give em milk and cookies too.
WHITE TRASH HERO

Brooklyn, NY

#16 May 7, 2008
I CANT WAIT TO DRAG RACE IN YOUR BACK YARD. MOVE NOW OR HEAR US ROAR.
THE PEOPLE OF RIVERHEAD BETTER OPULL THERE HEADS OUT OF THERE BUTTS.
MOVE OUT OF YOU CRAPPY LITTLE HOUSES AND GET A LIFE.
LIMOTORSPORTS.NET
KCC

Providence, RI

#17 May 7, 2008
Oh stupid are these people - an indoor ski mountain - just plain stupid.
Greg Marmalade

East Islip, NY

#19 May 7, 2008
I heard the environmentalists are having a chilli cook off. Wait till they try my Piping Plover Chilli. Tastes just like chicken.
American Woman

Port Jefferson, NY

#20 May 7, 2008
I used to love skiing Bald Hill. I miss it. But Riverhead should hold out for something that will bring real jobs that pay a living wage. Service industry jobs are low paying and will probably go to non-American citizens. We'll get all the disadvantages with none of the advantages. Riverhead, try again.
Amper is an Ass

Florham Park, NJ

#21 May 7, 2008
"We want a fair review that balances the economy and the government," said Richard Amper, executive director of the Pine Barrens Society.

This project is insanity at it's finest. But, this has nothing to do with the Pine Barrens, so the attention starved "Dick" Amper should stick to chasing ATvs and dirt bikes.
cracker

Piscataway, NJ

#22 May 7, 2008
Why can't readers make comments on the story about sharpton's planned terrorist attacks?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverhead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 9 hr Lou 334
Driving wile black phone app Dec 12 You Tuber 3
Teen sentenced in murder of Thomas Herzberg - (Oct '07) Dec 9 sachem resident 161
James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Foun... (Dec '11) Dec 6 Sheen 2,865
Horseshoe crab sting (Jul '07) Dec 5 vene 73
Residents at Westhampton Care Center in Art Show Nov 23 pearl skelaney 1
Son Beaten by Riverhead Jail Sargent (Jan '09) Nov '14 Slaus 163

Riverhead News Video

Riverhead Dating
Find my Match

Riverhead People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Riverhead News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Riverhead

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:29 pm PST

NBC Sports12:29PM
Giants safety Rolle not listening to the critics - NBC Sports
ESPN12:35 PM
Rolle wants to finish his career with Giants
ESPN 2:28 PM
Revis: Rex's shaky status with Jets is 'sad'
Bleacher Report 3:02 PM
Michael Vick Reportedly Has Paid off Almost Entire $17.8M Debt Owed to Creditors
NBC Sports 4:27 PM
Revis heads back to MetLife Stadium as Jets' enemy - NBC Sports