Riverhead Fire Dept. bans alcohol at ...

Riverhead Fire Dept. bans alcohol at firehouses

There are 33 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 15, 2008, titled Riverhead Fire Dept. bans alcohol at firehouses. In it, Newsday reports that:

The Riverhead Fire Department has gone dry. The department's commissioners banned alcohol from their firehouses following what police say was a drunken driving accident last month in which a Fire Department ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Robert

AOL

#1 Mar 15, 2008
Volunteer fire departments - all managed by idiots, plain and simple. No brains, no logic, no nothing. A bunch of idiots playing games. Get rid of them all and get real professionals in there.
Jerry

Gainesville, FL

#2 Mar 15, 2008
It's mindless idiots like you, Robert, that open your mouth without engaging your pea sized brain. If it weren't for the vollies, you would be paying out your arse taxes for fire and rescue services.
Pikepole5

Southwest Brevard Cnty, FL

#3 Mar 15, 2008
I put in over 40 years as a volunteer fireman with my towns' fire department in Suffolk County, Long Island, I miss every second of the activities and brotherhood of these years,now retired in Florida I wish I could afford to return to Long Island and yes we had more beer in the firehouse then we had water. There are 110 Vol. fire depts. in Suffolk County and each one has a firemans' room ( party room )one more beautiful then the other, I know ...I have been to almost every firehouse in Suffolk County over my years of service due to the fact that I was a member of five fire dept. organizations that had meeting in the various houses through out the year......Great brothers, great food and yes great drinks served.....In my opinion if you take out the beer and great time parties many would leave.........There are over 4000 Vol. fireman in Suffolk County, and each one knows his/her job when called upon to fight fire and perform rescue duties......
Col Gary

Marco Island, FL

#4 Mar 15, 2008
Why is this suspended chief seeking an apology from fire comm. for a local paper identifying him for the suspention. As far as this story goes, he did not respond to reports of an abandoned fire truck and apparently other alligations. He also agreed to the suspentions. He also should be stripped of his current chief rank and not be appointed to dept chief do to his inabiltitly to lead a department. Also, good for the department to ban liqur at village owned fire houses. Good insurance move. Now a drunk driver of a fire truck or even a fireman injured while drunk may have a problem and the village is out of the suing loop.
Fernberg

Norwalk, CT

#5 Mar 15, 2008
Not to worry guys, you can always get hammered on the cheap at the American Legion between runs.
Joey

Patchogue, NY

#6 Mar 15, 2008
Jerry wrote:
It's mindless idiots like you, Robert, that open your mouth without engaging your pea sized brain. If it weren't for the vollies, you would be paying out your arse taxes for fire and rescue services.
Solve the problem with the schools and lawyers ripping us off, among other "officials", and we wouldn't notice any difference in taxes with a paid dept.!!! CUT THE VOL.FIRE DEPT. FAT!... DRILL TEAMS??? I AM TIRED OF PAYING FOR THIS USELESS CRAP!!!
LI Observer

Smithtown, NY

#7 Mar 15, 2008
"...we had more beer... than water"
This sounds like a lot of firemen were under the influence when an alarm came in; driving emergency vehicles, fighting fires, etc. Hardly responsible.

"...if you take out the beer and...parties...many would leave"
Hmm, so that would mean they would rather lose the ten percent property tax exemption, and cease to accrue pension benefits.

I sure hope you're not speaking for the majority of volunteer firefighters on Long Island.
Pikepole5 wrote:
I put in over 40 years as a volunteer fireman with my towns' fire department in Suffolk County, Long Island, I miss every second of the activities and brotherhood of these years,now retired in Florida I wish I could afford to return to Long Island and yes we had more beer in the firehouse then we had water. There are 110 Vol. fire depts. in Suffolk County and each one has a firemans' room ( party room )one more beautiful then the other, I know ...I have been to almost every firehouse in Suffolk County over my years of service due to the fact that I was a member of five fire dept. organizations that had meeting in the various houses through out the year......Great brothers, great food and yes great drinks served.....In my opinion if you take out the beer and great time parties many would leave.........There are over 4000 Vol. fireman in Suffolk County, and each one knows his/her job when called upon to fight fire and perform rescue duties......
firemen

Bronx, NY

#8 Mar 15, 2008
Pikepole5 wrote:
It is very sad when people have to retire off longisland when all they want to be is home. It is because of the greed of all that this is happening, educators,police and mostly politicians. I dont believe alcohol belongs in a firehouse but twice a yr. Everyone firehouses shouldn't have catering halls, alcohol, or racing cars. If we would start getting rid of waste maybe so many good men and women wouldn't have to leave the island!Vote no to these oversized firehouses that don't serve any purpose to serve!
Eagle 2

Westbury, NY

#9 Mar 17, 2008
Obviously you live in a cloud where nothing ever goes wrong. The majority of the volunteers whether firefighters or EMS are trying to do the right thing. It is publications like Newsday and people like you that for some reason must have miserable lives to go ahead and bash the good that is out there. I have been a volunteer firefighter over 20 years now and continue to provide my services to my community. If the community actually realized the issues such as corrupt government and individuals self interests (Suozzi) then they would understand the real issues at hand. I cannot speak for all the volunteers but I think for the most part recognition is the only thing we ask for. Instead of giving recognition to the PAID police for handling all the emergencies why don't they try to give recognition to the volunteers that actually provide the service. As with every organization there are bad apples. And if the media and you ever decided to realize that Long Island is based on volunteers providing help to your family and others whenever and wherever in need, you may not want to spit in there faces when they show up to save your life.
We only want to help provide a service and it is getting harder because of people like you and politically motivated others to provide this service to our communities. Instead of mocking a system that may some flaws why don't you help and try to come up with ideas to fix it or even volunteer to do something in your community for the same amount of time as the volunteer emergency workers already provide. Try getting up 2 or 3 times in the middle of the evening to help a stranger and then read in the paper that a volunteer did something wrong. The problem with you and some others is, basically you and Newsday do not want to see the volunteers succeed.
Anthony

Albany, NY

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Pikepole5 wrote:
But volunteering is not about what you get in return (beer, parties, etc). It's about giving of yourself without expecting something in return. A great way for volunteers to prove to their communities that they are upstanding men/women, is to show them that they want to help - not just take.
Jim

New York, NY

#11 Mar 17, 2008
What is this world coming to when a firefighter can't throw down a few beers at his station before going out drunk to fight fires?
oldskoolff

Riverhead, NY

#12 Mar 17, 2008
This chief's attitude is too flippant. He is on the hook whether he can respond or not. He has a HUGE responsibility to his department, his district and his community. He should not move up. He's not ready. His attitude is dangerous. His suspension is justified. He should have thought of his name and reputation when he chose not to investigate the truck on the side of the road- by a local pub. He chose to look the other way... That speaks volumes about his leadership potential, responsibility AND reputation. Shame.
burnedout

Newark, NJ

#13 Mar 19, 2008
The truck was NOT by a pub when it was reported by an assistant chief to another assistant chief. Why was he allowed to pass the buck?
burnedout

Newark, NJ

#14 Mar 19, 2008
Every RFD sitting Chief and Commissioner has at one time or another been guilty of every infraction they cited with the exception of the accident itself.

Talk about hypocrites! They have proven themselves unfit to do the job they were elected to do, and should all resign immediately!
why go

Bronx, NY

#15 Mar 22, 2008
Jerry wrote:
Really when I look at my tax bill for police its not bad! Stop the threat and bring them on! When we get rid of the waste it will cost the same anyhow! No more beer, race cars, trips ect! Who cares vollies when everything is added up vollies are not that cheap!
REV AL SHARPTON

Freeport, NY

#16 Apr 7, 2008
FDNY went to 9/11 - same day Vollys went to 7/11 on a beer run. Vollys are the sewer system of Long Island.

“Beam me up Scotty!”

Since: Nov 07

Allentown, Pa.

#17 Apr 7, 2008
Joey wrote:
<quoted text>
Solve the problem with the schools and lawyers ripping us off, among other "officials", and we wouldn't notice any difference in taxes with a paid dept.!!! CUT THE VOL.FIRE DEPT. FAT!... DRILL TEAMS??? I AM TIRED OF PAYING FOR THIS USELESS CRAP!!!
These people give so much of their lives helping others! Anybody that enjoys belittling them has got to be a low life. whats wrong if after giving so much of themselves they kick up their heels a little. Besides what would people watch at parades without drill teams and such! Find something else to complain about as your blowing a lot of hot air

“Beam me up Scotty!”

Allentown, Pa.

#18 Apr 7, 2008
Jim wrote:
What is this world coming to when a firefighter can't throw down a few beers at his station before going out drunk to fight fires?
you people are nuts. they weren't on call! it was after a parade. Their calls were being handled by others! They don't go on calls drunk!!

“Beam me up Scotty!”

Allentown, Pa.

#19 Apr 7, 2008
You know go ahead and pay em. Im sure they wouldn't mind getting paid to risk their lives. Who do you think would fill the ranks if they switch to a paid force? Cowards like you people who rant and rave about them. I bet you people wouldn't say all this if you needed an ambulance or if your house or car was burning up in front of you.
GILBERT PABST

Freeport, NY

#20 Apr 7, 2008
Robert wrote:
Volunteer fire departments - all managed by idiots, plain and simple. No brains, no logic, no nothing. A bunch of idiots playing games. Get rid of them all and get real professionals in there.
Like the guys said FDNY was at 9/11 and the LI Voll were at 7/11 getting drung and watching it on there big 50 plazma TV in the voll house getting drunk

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverhead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bittrolff Mon Diidhedoit 2
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) Mon Susan 489
News James Bissett, Long Island Aquarium Owner, Foun... (Dec '11) Feb 11 Peter Cheeks 2,914
Cocoa the Yorkie (Mar '16) Feb 9 TBITOM59 2
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Feb 2 Cgcg 335
News Heartland mega-project gets county planning app... Feb 2 Cgcg 1
News Cops: Hampton Bays man fatally stabbed (Jul '07) Jan '17 Jewel 285

Riverhead Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Riverhead Mortgages