Developer charged with $10,000 bribe ...

Developer charged with $10,000 bribe of former Smithtown offici...

There are 84 comments on the Newsday story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Developer charged with $10,000 bribe of former Smithtown offici.... In it, Newsday reports that:

A prominent real estate developer with ties to Smithtown officials was arrested Monday morning and is expected to be charged with giving a $10,000 bribe to the town's former chief building inspector -- the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

balls

Bronx, NY

#66 Mar 31, 2008
hey tom are you hiding out in pats 4th floor apt.on lake ave that illegal.
PFA Parent

Peekskill, NY

#67 Mar 31, 2008
DA should investigate PFA fundraisers meant for children...money is not always going to kids,instead feeding greedy business owning parents who handle the money. Lining their pockets with other parents donations. Thats Criminal!
cynical dude

Flanders, NJ

#68 Mar 31, 2008
10 grand wrote:
10 grand to Bonerba. Thats only for one house,I wonder how much else he received.
enough to buy a cadillac dealership with his "partner" Tom Mcarthy!!

I wonder if they developed any property together?
Smithtown Crooks

Scarsdale, NY

#69 Mar 31, 2008
Esposito is well-connected in Smithtown political circles, although Supervisor Patrick Vecchio said Monday that he knew nothing about the case and declined to comment further.

Vecchio is a corrupt piece of ......

"I'm in shock," McCarthy said.

McCarthy isn't far behind Vecchio....if the DA keeps looking perhaps he can put both of these dirt bags behind bars - along with Bonerba.
curious georgia

AOL

#70 Mar 31, 2008
PFA Parent wrote:
DA should investigate PFA fundraisers meant for children...money is not always going to kids,instead feeding greedy business owning parents who handle the money. Lining their pockets with other parents donations. Thats Criminal!
What school, what business?
Smithtown Crooks

Scarsdale, NY

#71 Mar 31, 2008
Greensboro Resident wrote:
As a former resident of Suffolk County, I can't help but wonder if there are any plans to look into the Democratic run local governments. Newsday should start crusading for an investigation. I find it difficult to believe that it is only the Republican run governments that are corrupt!! Get going Newsday!! P.S. I am a registered Democrat, but I am also realistic.
Veccho was a Democrat before he was a Republican....but he has always been a crook.
Smithtown Crooks

Scarsdale, NY

#72 Mar 31, 2008
LI Resident wrote:
Perhaps this is the beginning of purging Smithtown of its long seated corruption. Sounds to me like the fuse has been lit and it's burning. It's about time that Smithtown gets a taste of it own medicine, especially in light of the way it treats its residents.
I still don't believe that the DA has the balls to finish the job....some of these people are his political friends. Time will tell. If Vecchio is led away in handcuffs, I'll believe in justice.
Smithtown Crooks

Scarsdale, NY

#73 Mar 31, 2008
Rob Bonerba wrote:
Well, wait until the DA looks into how Crooktown Public Safety Investigators 'overlook' all of the code violations at McCarthys car dealership, but have them punish all of the surrounding car dealerships. These crooks should burn at the stake for their crimes.
You have no idea how right you are....they were told to stay away from McCarthy's car dealership. The stench of corruption in this town is overwhelming.
Smithtown Crooks

Scarsdale, NY

#74 Mar 31, 2008
paulie boy wrote:
Lets focus on North Hempstead Joe Madden ,D Wasserman T Mcdonough all arrested for taking bribes .Not one builder arrested ! No word on Maddens court dates ,but word on the street big developer (kulco) sponsering his wedding .Wedding is in june . What the fu !!
It's Kulka...
Aodh

Maitland, FL

#75 Mar 31, 2008
It has been a long, long time coming. Start at the top in Town Hall. Major changes - and arrests - needed to restore faith in town officials!
Public Corruption

AOL

#76 Mar 31, 2008
Bruno wrote:
I thought on Long Island you could only be arrested for not bribing public officials.
Bruno, you are right, LOL. After an inspector falsified documents on my house, he had me arrested via DAT; a desk appearance ticket. BTW, after his alleged felonist acts, he received a $10,000 increase in his salary. This inspector's actions were sanctioned by the Town’s Attorneys in America's largest township.....these are but a few facts bare bone facts.

It is encouraging to see that DA Spota is tough on public corruption in Suffolk. How is it possible that there is more public corruption in Suffolk than Nassau County? or is it that we have selective law enforcement?
Public Corruption

AOL

#77 Mar 31, 2008
*** D A T. What word was Newsday objecting to?
sickofit

Greenwich, CT

#78 Mar 31, 2008
lol
justified

Eastport, NY

#80 Apr 1, 2008
let the games begin!
justified

Eastport, NY

#81 Apr 1, 2008
to all you big people from all the little people you are coming down the ladder that you climbed up on our backs and you have to pass all of us on the way down.That is true justice Thank you Mr.Spota
Heap OCalorie

New York, NY

#82 Apr 1, 2008
cynical dude wrote:
<quoted text>
enough to buy a cadillac dealership with his "partner" Tom Mcarthy!!
Is he gay ?
CONCERNED

Randolph, NJ

#83 Apr 1, 2008
WOW what other big Suffolk construction firms will also be involved?
nystatescam

AOL

#84 Apr 1, 2008
Now take a look at Jr VECCHIO HOUSE AND THE BUILDING DEPT handling of their permits,varriances et al.Did the supervisors son recieve extra considerations not offorded us regular taxpayers.If so they are tax theives stealing from the hardworking smithtown residents.Who built the house?
Insiders

Scarsdale, NY

#85 Apr 1, 2008
justified wrote:
to all you big people from all the little people you are coming down the ladder that you climbed up on our backs and you have to pass all of us on the way down.That is true justice Thank you Mr.Spota
There's just one little problem....I believe that some of the investigators at Smithtown Public Safety also work for Spota and or for the SCPD....lets hope there is no conflict of interest or leaking of info here. We should also remember that one of the new town council members is a former police commissioner and friend of Spota.I think if Mr Sopta wants to keep this on the up and up, any employees of his would be directed to quite their jobs at Public Safety and those who might be retired from the DA's office or the SCPD working for the town should be advised against using their contacts to feed info to the crooks at town hall.
Tim

Bedminster, NJ

#86 Apr 1, 2008
Why doesn't Newsday investigate Brookhaven Town Supervisor Brian Foley's cozy relationship with the developers of the Tallgrass property in Shoreham? In what has been hailed as the biggest land-use decision in Brookhaven in the past 20 years, Brian Foley chose to accept significant "campaign contributions" from these developers before changing the zoning of the property. We will now have a small city in the middle of Shoreham. If you want to find corruption, look no further than Foley.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverhead Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Charges Filed In LI Chimney Sweep Scam (Feb '06) Apr '18 Mill Ania 340
News Quogue Village Police reports (Dec '09) Apr '18 Erika B 35
horse boarding (Jan '13) Mar '18 Kim T 82
News Legislator Anker Announces Public Information M... Mar '18 Toothless Lou 2
News Cops: Calverton man stabbed girlfriend in fight (Dec '07) Mar '18 Toothless Lou 63
News Cops: Hampton Bays man fatally stabbed (Jul '07) Feb '18 Bellhelll 286
Apt for rent Feb '18 Loser 5

Riverhead Jobs

Personal Finance

Riverhead Mortgages