State Kicks Kool Smiles in the Teeth

Full story: WXIA Atlanta 418
The gloves are off. Parents of children insured by Medicaid and PeachCare sued the State of Georgia on Wednesday, claiming that their children are about to be denied dental care because the dentists who care ... Full Story
First Prev
of 21
Next Last
KHM

Forsyth, GA

#1 Aug 22, 2007
As the parent of a patient, I have to say that the DCH is LYING. I have had to switch back and forth between Wellcare and PeachState THREE times since they took over as third party administrators for PeachCare. Why? Our primary physician told us that PeachState refused to pay and when they did they paid after a lot of haggling and she is dropping them. Then i moved to WellCare and found out first hand they refuse to pay for a lot of standard prescriptions like antibiotics. Now Kool Smiles has been dropped and let me refute their claims because I personally do NOT have an orthodontist to go to now. There is not one in a 50 mile radius. Always received quality care from KoolSmiles. Sounds like the stuffed shirts running the system lined their pockets a little too much and want to blame anyone but themselves. I paid close attention as lawmakers put Georgia's children on the bottom of the list a few months ago when there were no funds and PeachCare almost went belly up. I will not forget this for a long, long time and I am watchful tax paying, VOTING citizen.
PeachCare came at a most opportune time for my family and I have never minded paying the $45 per month and would have gladly paid more. However, as usual, bureaucrats stick their noses into things they know nothing about and screw it up for everyone. Congratulate yourself on another failure. Take note Democrats and Clinton fans this is the PRIME example of why national health care will fail. Thank goodness I will get health care from my job next month and can put PeachCare behind me before I am left with NO coverage.
Ryan

Atlanta, GA

#2 Aug 22, 2007
This is a horrible thing Georgia is allowing CMO's to do to its own citizens. These companies are making millions in profits from GA taxpayers by not giving taxpayers the services promised.
Sharon

Rutledge, GA

#3 Aug 22, 2007
I personally took my children to a Kool Smiles office where they were given a total of 6 crowns that their current dentist has now said were completely unnecessary. Also, I filed a lawsuit against Kool Smiles for damage and injuries that my the 3 year old daughter received during her treatment. In my opinion, no responsible parent should ever settle for the lack of care received at Kool Smiles. Many private offices accept Wellcare and provide much more personalized, quality service.
A Dentist on the Inside

Columbus, GA

#4 Aug 22, 2007
Some Kool Smiles clinics can make $40,000 in a single day. I wouldn't be too quick to accuse the CMO's. At least they are looking for ways to make it more efficient. If the government was running it they would just raise taxes while kool smiles does $300 stainless Steal Crowns on teeth that are going fall out in 6 months.

A parent who pays out of pocket says "Are you sure those are needed because that is alot of money" (The answer is no)

Most of the parents don't pay a dime so they don't ask questions they just let their child be instruments in stealing tax payer money.

Peachcare can be very profitable. No one takes it because the patients are aweful. There is about a 50 to 75% no show rate. Can you believe that. These patients get thousands of dollars of work completely on the tax payers dime and they can't even show up. They don't show up because it's free. When you don't pay for something you don't care. I'm sorry but capitalism works. If you want good dental care then get off your rear and get a good job. Thats how capitalism works. It's cruel but true.
SLJ

United States

#5 Aug 22, 2007
Why do the children always get attacked!! They take away from education and health care. I am a very hardworking single mother. I worry constantly about doing the right thing for my children. First, I was afraid of losing healthcare for my children and now dental. What next? My family suffers daily and i do not need for people who have never walked in my shoes to worsen my situation!! What goes around comes around! Money is not everything!! If we continue not the take care of the children and elderly, what is to become of the world?
GETITGIRL

United States

#6 Aug 22, 2007
Get the heck out of dodge Kool smiles.
Its over. You have gotten caught. Please stop making excuses to buy time. Except that you have reached your point of no return. Dr. T and Dr. P and the rest of you people you know who you are you should have saved your money because you are going out the same way you came in with a Coke and a SMILE. Thank you CMO's for finally listen to all of the Doc and Ex Doc and Hygienst and DA past and present of Kool Smiles.Pack it up and let someone else come in there and open up a honest clinc for the children they are the poor little ones that are getting hurt while you all have fatten your pockets. All of you dummies still stuck there don't let the door shut in your face and you are left with no job, no future and no money. Leave while someone will hire you. Most of us have opened our own practice and are doing quite well. We are all waiting for next week. By the way I did learn from Kool smiles how they obtained their patients and guess what! I have offered your CSR a job when you close. The trick is going to turn around in your face. I owe you that for all the wrong you did to me.
EX FOREST PARK HYGIENIST

United States

#7 Aug 23, 2007
hey all let me tell you my experience as a employee at KoolSmiles as a employee. I worked for a long time at Forest Park Ga. I worked under " Psycho Saundra" who ran a assembly line there. Her daily words were Production, Productivity, and Scorecard. She would pile the kids in daily like sardines so her doctors and her could make a bonus.Many of the kids received crowns that didn't need them nor did they receive the sealants they were promised because the parents didn't know.We complained to the big wigs and they went back and told her what we said and things got worse. She even would make us go to lunch late and sometimes cut it in half and still charge us with a full hour. Something is got to still be wrong there employees are still leaving.I also hope the DOL checks them out too.I am not saying that the name Koolsmiles is bad it is just that they need to monitor the people they entrust to run their clinics and start listening to the employees who have to work directly with them. I know that everywhere you go there will be problems but you correct them instead of hiding behind them.I would love to see Koolsmiles turn around as they are in a great location and I think they mean well for that area but no good is coming from crooked office personel.I might even come back.
agree

Powder Springs, GA

#8 Aug 23, 2007
I completely understand what is being said by past staff members of this organization. Does anyone know if "Help A Child Smile" has a history of these same practice ethics- unecessary treatment, ect...?
meemm

Fort Valley, GA

#9 Aug 23, 2007
Now that is just wrotten!! I pay over 130.00 a month for my families dental insurance and over 300 a month for our medical insurance. I am a single mom of two and paying insurance alone is killing my pocket because when we go to an appt. I still have to pay out of pocket and I still have a bill sent to me (that the insurance does not pay). We get two free cleanings a year and I was thankful to find a dentist he does not suggest unnecessary work, because he knows eventually it is coming out of my pocket. MY SUGGESTION IS THAT IN 2008 VOTE FOR THE CANDIDATE WHO WILL PASS A NATIONWIDE HEALTHCARE PLAN FOR ALL AMERICANS!!.
Keshia Gardner

United States

#11 Aug 23, 2007
Hey Girlie....long time no hear from...well i saw you last night on the news and I almost flip my top...ive been looking for you forever...well you looked really good on tv too...you go girl!..well youve just gotten another friend to fight this Dental Battle and together we shall prevail!
SLJ wrote:
Why do the children always get attacked!! They take away from education and health care. I am a very hardworking single mother. I worry constantly about doing the right thing for my children. First, I was afraid of losing healthcare for my children and now dental. What next? My family suffers daily and i do not need for people who have never walked in my shoes to worsen my situation!! What goes around comes around! Money is not everything!! If we continue not the take care of the children and elderly, what is to become of the world?
Ex- employee

Snellville, GA

#12 Aug 23, 2007
Kool Smiles does not care about the kids. They only care about the money. Kool Smiles pay people to do their dirty work. They use employees to pose as parents in their news conference at the Buford Hwy office and resheduled all the crying kids. Dr tran was working on an employee's kid. The assistant are not properly trained. The kids are scared to came to Kool Smiles to get their teeth cleaned because they are traumatized for having their dental work done. Someone needs to ask Kool Smiles about how much their executives are getting paid. Kool Smiles have no grace period for the parent for being late. They can come in 2 hrs late with 6 kids and still be seen.
Ex- employee

Snellville, GA

#13 Aug 23, 2007
agree wrote:
I completely understand what is being said by past staff members of this organization. Does anyone know if "Help A Child Smile" has a history of these same practice ethics- unecessary treatment, ect...?
Help A Child Smile is the same way. That's why their contract was taken too. Plus all their employees are leaving.
Super Woman

Snellville, GA

#14 Aug 23, 2007
EX FOREST PARK HYGIENIST wrote:
hey all let me tell you my experience as a employee at KoolSmiles as a employee. I worked for a long time at Forest Park Ga. I worked under " Psycho Saundra" who ran a assembly line there. Her daily words were Production, Productivity, and Scorecard. She would pile the kids in daily like sardines so her doctors and her could make a bonus.Many of the kids received crowns that didn't need them nor did they receive the sealants they were promised because the parents didn't know.We complained to the big wigs and they went back and told her what we said and things got worse. She even would make us go to lunch late and sometimes cut it in half and still charge us with a full hour. Something is got to still be wrong there employees are still leaving.I also hope the DOL checks them out too.I am not saying that the name Koolsmiles is bad it is just that they need to monitor the people they entrust to run their clinics and start listening to the employees who have to work directly with them. I know that everywhere you go there will be problems but you correct them instead of hiding behind them.I would love to see Koolsmiles turn around as they are in a great location and I think they mean well for that area but no good is coming from crooked office personel.I might even come back.
I agree. They give Psyco Saundra a promotion But hire another office manager "Nutty Wanda".
Ash

Atlanta, GA

#15 Aug 23, 2007
I lived in Japan for 14 years and received services from their universal health care system, including denistry. Their system is not as "pretty" as ours and lacks alot of the amenities but is far, far superior in providing services at a price that reflects the true cost of doing business yet still provides a nice margin for the provider. Japanese pay less than we do for their medical care yet are ranked #1 in the workd. The USA is ranked next to Estonia yet me pay far more than anyone else in the world--that is how AMERICAN-STYLE capitialism works, not how capitalism works as the writer above stated.
ZeroSympathy

Lawrenceville, GA

#16 Aug 23, 2007
I realize that this may not be the most popular opinion, but:

Maybe instead of filing lawsuits these parents who think they can just pop out kids and expect the state to pick up the tab for it ought to focus on what they can do to better their own situation so they can actually AFFORD THE KIDS THEY HAVE, AND THE MEDICAL BILLS THAT COME WITH THE TERRITORY!

The elimination of Kool Smiles is not the problem. The huge mass of people who have this sense of entitlement about them, that somehow believe they should be able to have kids whenever they want regardless of whether they can afford them; this "The state will pay for it" mentality is the problem; a much bigger one.
Lupita

Winder, GA

#17 Aug 23, 2007
I just want to say that there are other dentists in Dalton,Ga who take Medicaid/Peachcare as well as Amerigroup and Wellcare. I will not mention a name because I work for one, but Kool Smiles is not the only ones who took Medicaid,Peachcare, Amerigroup and Wellcare. The people are just not looking for any other place, although there are other dentists.
Dental Assistant

Winder, GA

#18 Aug 23, 2007
We've had parents complain about how Kool Smiles only cares about doing cleanings for the money, and how they ALWAYS refer them somewhere else for the fillings. They only care in making the easy money, not the children. That's the only reason they're fighting to stay,if they cared so much for the children why do they draumatize their patients.
current employee

United States

#19 Aug 23, 2007
Ex- employee wrote:
<quoted text>Help A Child Smile is the same way. That's why their contract was taken too. Plus all their employees are leaving.
Help a Child Smile is NOT the same way and they have NOT lost their contract
Latino concerned

United States

#20 Aug 23, 2007
Ex- employee wrote:
<quoted text>Help A Child Smile is the same way. That's why their contract was taken too. Plus all their employees are leaving.
Me wonder why help a child no saying nothing bout this i like to have they bus to ride around buford highway to pickup the kids take them to good dentist zoom.
Dekalb Health Dept Nurse

United States

#21 Aug 23, 2007
I have noticed all the conflicting stories from present and past employees some positive and some negative. My question is that this is really getting very interesting in our office but I am
wondering with all the great comprehensive care that KOOL SMILES performs and the quality of efforts that the company states.......How many of the Coorporate Exec. use their own clinics in Ga. for their own children? I already know the answer.
By the way why isn't the Spectacles Eye Office ran by Dr. John Marsh helping in this fight. Does he not know that he is soon to be shut down too. Oh yeah Medicaid has caught him too as well as IRS. If the persons were not blind when they come in there when they finish they will be. We see many of them here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 21
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Riverdale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Pastor LDM 19,381
Here 2 hr Brutus 14
looking for lost son!!! 2 hr dement 3
david furnley phillips 2 hr dement 4
Are you STILL a slave? take the test (Nov '10) 4 hr Fart Man 9
removal of silicone from body (Mar '14) 5 hr Faith01 298
Five Reasons Why Obama Is A Good President (Jun '11) 5 hr lighteredknot 8,392

Riverdale News Video

Riverdale Dating
Find my Match

Riverdale Jobs

Riverdale People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Riverdale News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Riverdale

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]