Detroit pastor says EM process unfair, 'a racist move'

Mar 12, 2013 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit News

About 50 Detroiters watched a telecast of the emergency manager appeal in an overflow room here in the G. Mennan Williams Building and then expressed anger with a process they saw as unfair.

Comments (Page 6)

Showing posts 101 - 120 of374
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Meanie

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
This Wikipedia article points you in the right direction: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-white-flight....
http://www.time.com/time/specials/packages/ar...
This is an example from New Orleans: http://www.gnocdc.org/tertiary/white.html
..."Professor Kevin M. Kruse of Princeton University has explored the subject in depth in his book, "White Flight: Atlanta and the Making of Modern Conservatism." Professor Kruse suggests that white flight has been an inevitable consequence of the white, ruling class in the United States ensuring that it retains its privileged position in the country's society, despite the considerable and desirable advances made over many years to end discrimination against people of other ethnic origins."
As you all can see, the factors are not all "black" lol
What you're implying is the white race is to blame because they ran from other ethnic groups who were moving into the neighborhood? Then who's at blame for the destruction of those neighborhoods after they fled?
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

assigning blame won't correct, fix, or change anything. The mess is the mess so address it.

you can argue which came first the chicken or the egg until da cows come home and accomplish nothing what so never.

or you can put da past and racism behind ya and work together to make a "GNU" Detroit rise out of the ashes of the burn't out empty hulk of whats left.

Since: Nov 11

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Meanie wrote:
<quoted text>
What you're implying is the white race is to blame because they ran from other ethnic groups who were moving into the neighborhood? Then who's at blame for the destruction of those neighborhoods after they fled?
Did you even read half of what I posted? Or did you jump to the immediate "poor me I'm white" excuse? I said, for the ten thousandth time, they were many factors that led to Detroit's downfall. I thoroughly agree that blacks have mismanaged Detroit since they took over. However, to say it was all the fault of blacks is absolutely false. Re-read the links I posted. Sometimes I don't get white people like you or Pete or "Real Deal." It's like you've intentionally ignored the hell your foreparents created on this planet and in this country for darker skinned peoples because of their hubris and greed. When black people react out of rage and frustration (rioting) we then become selfish little devils intent on destroying your world. It's like a person who smokes packs of cigarettes daily for years and years gets cancer and wants to sue the tobacco company because they conveniently ignored the mountains of evidence and warning signs that smoking will KILL you eventually.

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

"First of all,NO COMPANY is obligated to furnish job or everyone. The can manufacture anyplace they want to."

Excellent point. Detroit politicians and businessman should have thought of that before they made Detroit almost completely dependent upon the auto industry.

"Secondly,if everyone in Detroit depended upon automakers to furnish, then they were in error."

Correct. They were in error. They are suffering because of it right now.

"Thirdly,"White Flight" occurred in the early sixties in Atlanta, but many stayed just where they were, and are still here."

"Fourth,there are integrated communities in Atlanta, and in the suburbs.The gentrification continues with Whites moving back into the better sections of town."

That's great for Atlanta. This is Detroit. There was a different dynamic up here.

"A large Black population with no marketable skills.Many of them had ancestors that wound up there with the huge Black migration during the 20as and 30s, and they did very well in that era. The jobs that they did back then,do no longer exist, because there's very little need of unskilled labor.Once the white flight had taken place, and the auto industry downsized, Detroit was doomed to failure, and so it has."

Another good point. Times have changed.

"With Blacks now in city government,mismanagement was bound to happen. With fewer people to pay taxes,the city suffered, and thus you have the situation of today.With the few jobs available for skilled people, it is rather easy to see why there's a large group of unemployed Blacks today."

Here's where I have a problem. This statement implies that just being black means that you can't manage anything. I beg to differ. Poor management skills are not an entirely "black" thing. I think Capitol Hill, Big Business, several other "white" cities that have faced similar challenges is MORE than enough proof to corroborate what I've said.
Meanie

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Did you even read half of what I posted? Or did you jump to the immediate "poor me I'm white" excuse? I said, for the ten thousandth time, they were many factors that led to Detroit's downfall. I thoroughly agree that blacks have mismanaged Detroit since they took over. However, to say it was all the fault of blacks is absolutely false. Re-read the links I posted. Sometimes I don't get white people like you or Pete or "Real Deal." It's like you've intentionally ignored the hell your foreparents created on this planet and in this country for darker skinned peoples because of their hubris and greed. When black people react out of rage and frustration (rioting) we then become selfish little devils intent on destroying your world. It's like a person who smokes packs of cigarettes daily for years and years gets cancer and wants to sue the tobacco company because they conveniently ignored the mountains of evidence and warning signs that smoking will KILL you eventually.
White people are far from innocent but the separation between white and blacks is physical and mental. Yes, many whites are greedy and self centered but when they resort to retaliation, it's in the framework of deceit or theft, usually non violent crime. When the majority of black people resort to retaliation, it's in the framework of violence. White people may have left the city without altercation when blacks arrive, but blacks violently threaten if whitey trespasses in their hood.

Overall, I speak "in general" as in the "majority" of each group. Therefore, forget the rebuttal of Timothy McVie or the likes who killed multiple people, the average white Joe doesn't want to steal your shoes or jacket if he sees them in a gas station or if you stare at him the wrong way. Many white people are simply selfish but black people are intentionally resisting the "white mans law/rule".

Spartanburg, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Meanie wrote:
<quoted text>
White people are far from innocent but the separation between white and blacks is physical and mental. Yes, many whites are greedy and self centered but when they resort to retaliation, it's in the framework of deceit or theft, usually non violent crime. When the majority of black people resort to retaliation, it's in the framework of violence. White people may have left the city without altercation when blacks arrive, but blacks violently threaten if whitey trespasses in their hood.
Overall, I speak "in general" as in the "majority" of each group. Therefore, forget the rebuttal of Timothy McVie or the likes who killed multiple people,the average white Joe doesn't want to steal your shoes or jacket if he sees them in a gas station or if you stare at him the wrong way. Many white people are simply selfish but black people are intentionally resisting the "white mans law/rule".
You are so biased and bigoted it's not even funny lol. "the separation between white and blacks is physical and mental." So are you saying whites are gentle, non-violent victims of the "black menace?" "Many white people are simply selfish but black people are intentionally resisting the "white mans law/rule". Right. "Simply selfish" you say? You are delusional. I'm not encouraging rebellion or lawlessness. Law's are set up for the safety of ALL people. They are not the sole idea of white people. That's insane. You really said the "white man's law?" What kind of crap is that?? That stupid statement is exactly the reason why white people deal with so much racism from other "races." You really, truly feel that you are "holier than thou." That you are in some "higher" moral position. "the average white Joe doesn't want to steal your shoes or jacket if he sees them in a gas station or if you stare at him the wrong way." The average white joe is better than everyone else right? Keep telling yourself that pal.
Meanie

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so biased and bigoted it's not even funny lol. "the separation between white and blacks is physical and mental." So are you saying whites are gentle, non-violent victims of the "black menace?" "Many white people are simply selfish but black people are intentionally resisting the "white mans law/rule". Right. "Simply selfish" you say? You are delusional. I'm not encouraging rebellion or lawlessness. Law's are set up for the safety of ALL people. They are not the sole idea of white people. That's insane. You really said the "white man's law?" What kind of crap is that?? That stupid statement is exactly the reason why white people deal with so much racism from other "races." You really, truly feel that you are "holier than thou." That you are in some "higher" moral position. "the average white Joe doesn't want to steal your shoes or jacket if he sees them in a gas station or if you stare at him the wrong way." The average white joe is better than everyone else right? Keep telling yourself that pal.
The white mans law referral came from several black people who were interviewed on a television documentary I watched some time ago about blacks in prison and the ghetto. But if it makes you feel better to think it's my wording, go for it. You prefer to interpret or spin to your agenda, obviously to avoid the truth.
Meanie

Dearborn, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Hotlanta wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I was here when the first "Black" mayor was elected, and I've seen a downward spiral in the City of Atlanta when it comes to mishandling of city taxes and revenue. I've seen my services go down, and my taxes go up. I've seen Black official after Black official get caught taking money from "under the table" and get caught!I've seen the city fathers vote for projects like "Underground Atlanta" and use city money without the citizens having a referendum to vote on,and the 60 million dollars that it spent, wound being a bust.I've had to deal with city employees that had a nonchalant attitude of "I don't care". I've even seem them berate a citizen simply because he asked a question. These misinformed,imbeciles, don't even realize that it's the citizens that keeping them employed! I'm so happy that I have another home farther South of Atlanta, and I can hardly wait until my wife retires, then I'm getting the hell outta of this hellhole. I've seen Atlanta at it's best, and now I've seen the worst. I'm not going to make excuses for incompetence, simply because they're black.
Perhaps he's been watching Coleman Young reruns.

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Meanie wrote:
<quoted text>
The white mans law referral came from several black people who were interviewed on a television documentary I watched some time ago about blacks in prison and the ghetto. But if it makes you feel better to think it's my wording, go for it. You prefer to interpret or spin to your agenda, obviously to avoid the truth.
Oh yeah. "[OBVIOUSLY] to avoid the truth" lol.

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Hotlanta wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, I was here when the first "Black" mayor was elected, and I've seen a downward spiral in the City of Atlanta when it comes to mishandling of city taxes and revenue. I've seen my services go down, and my taxes go up. I've seen Black official after Black official get caught taking money from "under the table" and get caught!I've seen the city fathers vote for projects like "Underground Atlanta" and use city money without the citizens having a referendum to vote on,and the 60 million dollars that it spent, wound being a bust.I've had to deal with city employees that had a nonchalant attitude of "I don't care". I've even seem them berate a citizen simply because he asked a question. These misinformed,imbeciles, don't even realize that it's the citizens that keeping them employed! I'm so happy that I have another home farther South of Atlanta, and I can hardly wait until my wife retires, then I'm getting the hell outta of this hellhole. I've seen Atlanta at it's best, and now I've seen the worst. I'm not going to make excuses for incompetence, simply because they're black.

Very true. Incompetence is incompetence. Whether it's from a white person or a black person. I just think it's hilarious how incensed and disappointed white people get when a black person does exactly what whites have done and CONTINUE TO DO. You all are really preaching to the choir. It's been clearly established that some blacks are not good leaders and are corruptible. Big freaking deal. Humans are corruptible. Last I checked we were all human lol.
Shelby

Mesquite, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Hotlanta wrote:
<quoted text>
Well I was there in the sixties, marching and fighting for equal opportunity and civil rights. Got locked up a couple of times, Got kicked out of a Georgia State College for demonstrating.At the time, we told the White Southerners,"just give us the chance, and we'll prove that we can get the job done the same as whites" or better. Well things changed, we got the chance, and I ask, did we "get the job done" any better? I think not. Now we have a Black "Good Ol' Boy" system firmly in place, and and the "Job" still hasn't gotten done. I speak from experience, not from an outsider's or a juvenile's opinion. I expect a politician to DO HIS JOB, not whine about "racism", personally, I don't care what color or race they are, just get the job done.Do I have too high expectations of Blacks? If not please tell me.
I will not stand for any greys running things. I heard about them way back from Art Bell.
Meanie

Madison Heights, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh yeah. "[OBVIOUSLY] to avoid the truth" lol.
Correct. Considering your credentials were blown out the water with your contradicting religion/God statement some time ago (that's right, I'll never let you forget it), the obvious truth smacks you in the head and you still fail to recognize.

Perhaps, in here, you should consider the same excuse of not wanting to discuss it anymore, most likely due to your blunder.

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Meanie wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct. Considering your credentials were blown out the water with your contradicting religion/God statement some time ago (that's right, I'll never let you forget it), the obvious truth smacks you in the head and you still fail to recognize.
Perhaps, in here, you should consider the same excuse of not wanting to discuss it anymore, most likely due to your blunder.
What does my belief in God have to do with this racial stuff we're arguing about? I know ultimately only He can fix this mess we humans made. What point are you making?
TheRealDeal

Farmington, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
<quoted text>
What does my belief in God have to do with this racial stuff we're arguing about? I know ultimately only He can fix this mess we humans made. What point are you making?
Reality check...only BLACKS can fix the mess they've gotten themselves in to!

People have a very real concern about pit-bulls...why, because they have a propensity to be more aggressive and deadly than other breeds...is there science behind it, is there data to back it up, have people observed enough of a trend to formulate an educated opinion on it?

NOW, this can equally be applied to the blacks that absorb a community...guess what, its the same thing!

You don't typically see labs or poodles or even golden retrievers eating the faces off of little babies or chewing the arms off a toddler.

A leopard cannot and will not change its spots, no matter how deep the blinder wearing fools have their head in the sand!

Black people want respect, they need to earn it and give it!
They want to looked at as responsible citizens, then they need to take responsibilities for their actions, and take significant steps to correct it. One example...STOP BURNING YOUR EFFING NEIGHBORHOODS DOWN YOU IDIOTS...duhhhh!

Its funny, the community leaders and religious idiots that are basically thugs under the cloth of god spend a lot of time making fools of themselves and disrupting the normal flow of things...if they spent half the amount of effort and energy in educating and cleaning up the streets (and teaching the black whores to keep their legs together) as they do rallying people to make trouble, maybe they wouldn't have as many issues in the city.

“Obsidian Princess”

Since: Sep 09

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

reality is a crutch wrote:
as long as blacks wait for "someone else, or society to do something or fix something nothing will ever change in the black community or the Detroit area.
Read the History of Harlem from 1850 to 1970 by the department of health and human services, the study gives a blueprint for the destruction of the black house hold and the larger black community by the Johnson administration in 1965 with welfare.
The black community in America was pretty self sufficient, black woman married having families while black husbands worked providing a stable black home life for black children to grow up in.
after 1965 the black marriage falls off black women heading households with no fathers in the house.
blacks gave up trying to build the American dream settled for welfare, poor slums, poor or bad schools because They did not expect or demand better schools and results, black drug gangs, violence, way too young black girls having babies not expecting a man to be in the house or in the picture.
so blacks have to step up take responsibility for themselves and the community they live in.
stop blaming anyone or every one else for your own failings.
Look at any American ethic group and no one whines and yells racism as much as blacks do
why do you always bring up welfare when talking about our social ills? how could welfare alone disrupt whole black neighborhoods and families?

you want to know the bottom line politics that have disrupted blk families and created social havoc among blk people?

RACISM on every level of societal existence and opperation. YOU have been and still is the crux of all our problems.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Fortunately, I don't need to cry or whine. I worked midnights when younger and obtained an MBA at my expense. Now I am 25 miles from Detroit center with the home and truck paid off. If the situation ever gets bad enough, I can move away. In the mean time, I will watch the self destruction and hope for the best. I would hope there would be a sea change in black attitude where they would bring order within their race, seek and obtain education, and pursue honest business enterprises.
It was Jesse Jackson that said, "Nothing will happen until I make it happen." This was the mantra he urged all blacks to repeat to themselves. What have you done today to make it happen? Let's go there to the future, not the past.
plenty of blk folk have done this and much better considering the circumstances we were up against in many case so how you doing so mediore as a white man in a country built for your advancement, get any type of honorary mention?

your accomplishments are INFERIOR. you should be doing and have done soooo much better then the lot of people who have been harrassed on every front by white folk like yourself.. yet and still, so many of us have advanced you! you should be ashamed.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

dragonpat wrote:
<quoted text>
plenty of blk folk have done this and much better considering the circumstances we were up against in many case so how you doing so mediore as a white man in a country built for your advancement, get any type of honorary mention?
your accomplishments are INFERIOR. you should be doing and have done soooo much better then the lot of people who have been harrassed on every front by white folk like yourself.. yet and still, so many of us have advanced you! you should be ashamed.
I am totally ashamed that I did not move further away from Detroit already. I have the resources to remedy that. To those blacks that have surpassed me, praise to them. Just don't steal my stuff.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

Kallark27 wrote:
You see Real Deal that's what I was talking about. You only see what the so-called "black menace" did to Detroit. You don't speak about the Big Three outsourcing jobs and building factories outside of the city, nor do you talk about white flight where over 1 million people left. If 1 million people just left ANY major city in America, over time it would turn into a slum. Rather, you constantly harp on Mayor Young and the black menace that followed. I know Mayor Young did some things wrong. I know that. My father hated Mayor Young. But to tacitly imply that Detroit fell primarily because of blacks is totally false and you know it. You constantly play fast and loose with fact. I remember Time magazine had an article on Detroit and what happened. Google it. You might find it revealing. Where you get off saying I excuse badness is beyond me. It's like you want me to ignore fact for what you think you know about black people. As far as being a "know-it-all" well, I just read and research a lot. Detroit is one of my passions and my birthplace. So I've done a lot of research on Detroit.
don't forget the home owner associations formed specifically to keep the blk populace in cramped spaces, the race riots white folks conducted to keep blk people from getting jobs, harrassing blk homeowners in certain parts of towns, burning down their homes, constantly rioting in front of their homes, breaking out their windows, etc etc.. and how governers, mayors and other politicians supported the racist agendas of white people to keep us from working, owning homes and getting our fair share of federal funds and other entitlements white folk so generously profited from.

these oppressions and more led to the 1968 riots and has had a great impact on what you see today.
Mr Obvious

Mesquite, NV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

And what if the print were all white! We'd never be able to ready anything.

“Obsidian Princess”

louisiana

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 25, 2013

TheRealDeal wrote:
<quoted text>Again, you are trying to re-frame this discussion into exactly what you want to discuss, well now that's not realistic is it?
Lets talk about white flight, do you even understand it?
I can tell you a large part of it was the city taxed levied on residence, and while it was implemented in the early 60's nothing was done to stop it.(strike 1)
The riots of 67 that resulted from the police shutting down an ILLEGAL bar (big surprise), and the blacks lost control...end result = 40+ people dead.(strike 2)
Young was elected as mayor and ran Detroit like a third world dictatorship, running everything into the ground while amassing a fortune for himself and his cronies. Plus, the one thing more important than money, he held supreme power. His machine ran the city, the courts, the public schools, and extorted tribute from everything else left in the city.(strike 3)
Young made whites feel as if they would not be protected, that they were not welcome, that he (Young) had no use for whites which he made abundantly clear, and as a result the money belonging to the whites left with the whites!(strike 4, 5 and 6)
At the end of the day, blacks have controlled and managed the city of Detroit for the last 40 years, and did nothing to turn around the decline...that in and of itself speak mounds!
What they did do was continually stick their hands in the cookie jar over and over robbing from themselves and putting anything back, now look at them!
you are lying. blk folk have never run the city and white flight occured MAINLY because blk people were breaking down their racist home owner associations and moving into previously off limit neighborhoods and this occured DECADES before anyone even knew of a coleman young.

white folk have always maintained the bulk of power and decision making in detroit. no one man in office for a few terms can totally bring down a whole city!

no, coleman did not care for whites, why should he? im not saying he was perfect but his power was deffinitely limited. please provide proof that colemans policies helped the along the demise of this great city...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 101 - 120 of374
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

River Rouge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

River Rouge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••