Wayne County asset sale could help mo...

Wayne County asset sale could help money woes

There are 18 comments on the The Detroit News story from Sep 24, 2013, titled Wayne County asset sale could help money woes. In it, The Detroit News reports that:

The $1.4 billion 2013-14 budget approved by the Wayne County Commission was lacking crucial elements to be credible or balanced due to multiple constraints.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Detroit News.

kev

Oak Park, MI

#1 Sep 24, 2013
This shouldnt let people off hook for new wayne county jail blunder. This is going to be most likely 150 million of wasted taxpayer money.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#2 Sep 24, 2013
kev wrote:
This shouldnt let people off hook for new wayne county jail blunder. This is going to be most likely 150 million of wasted taxpayer money.
The $200 million county deficit does not include the jail boondoggle. We all know the county threw over $100 million away with the jail project collapse. In the end, the county will end up with some newer jail and every penny of the $300 million bond proposal will be spent. Never mind that they might have rehabbed the Mound facility from the start for $100 million and had $200 million left over.

The bottom line is that the taxpayers were stupid for voting for the $300 bond proposal to begin with.
kev

Buffalo, NY

#3 Sep 24, 2013
And if land is sold after jail is torn down, how much is land being sold fer? After all i doubt detroit real estate is worth nearly what it would sell for in downtown LA, manhattan, chicago,etc. Also, how much would the taxes be on this property? How long with the land price and taxes paid every year in best scenario, would it take to recoup the $150 million waste after this boondoggle is finished? Tax payers have a right to know. This isn't classified info.
Robert F

Colorado Springs, CO

#4 Sep 24, 2013
kev wrote:
And if land is sold after jail is torn down, how much is land being sold fer? After all i doubt detroit real estate is worth nearly what it would sell for in downtown LA, manhattan, chicago,etc. Also, how much would the taxes be on this property? How long with the land price and taxes paid every year in best scenario, would it take to recoup the $150 million waste after this boondoggle is finished? Tax payers have a right to know. This isn't classified info.
It's too early to tell yet. We'll have to study the whole situation. There will be offsets of course, but we can make this land productive going forward. It's a win-win situation for the taxpayers and that's what it's all about isn't it? Mistakes were made, but we can turn this around and make something positive. It's all about saving taxpayer money.
kev

Toledo, OH

#5 Sep 24, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
It's too early to tell yet. We'll have to study the whole situation. There will be offsets of course, but we can make this land productive going forward. It's a win-win situation for the taxpayers and that's what it's all about isn't it? Mistakes were made, but we can turn this around and make something positive. It's all about saving taxpayer money.
If this can be turned into win win situation, this will be a magic act equivalent to houdini, harry blackstone,and david Copperfield, etc!
Robert F

Farmington, MI

#6 Sep 25, 2013
Houdini let someone punch him in the stomach the day before he died. I'm not about to let Charlie Leduff try that on me.

It's not magic. It's just common sense fiscal responsibility. We work for the people.
kev

Toledo, OH

#7 Sep 25, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Ficano, why weren't the logistics of this mammoth project done better.? I know it was approved for low bond rates initially . But didn't the thought ever cross any minds in these well paid appointee college educated staff that this would have been brilliant idear to have jail property used to generate taxes and sell of land to begin with.? Why did it take millions of dollars wasted to come up with solution after scrapping project. This could have been researched beforehand. I remember yourself saying this state of the art facility would save wayne county millions per year. Thank you sir.
Robert F

Farmington, MI

#8 Sep 25, 2013
kev wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Ficano, why weren't the logistics of this mammoth project done better.? I know it was approved for low bond rates initially . But didn't the thought ever cross any minds in these well paid appointee college educated staff that this would have been brilliant idear to have jail property used to generate taxes and sell of land to begin with.? Why did it take millions of dollars wasted to come up with solution after scrapping project. This could have been researched beforehand. I remember yourself saying this state of the art facility would save wayne county millions per year. Thank you sir.
Well, timing is everything Mr. Kev. At the time the planners estimated the project to come in at $220 million leaving plenty of room for contingencies. It was the right project for the right time. Everyone was on board and the logistics would have improved the flow of prisoners and cut transportation costs. As work progressed, the Wayne County Commission did not provide appropriate over-site to prevent or alert us of the overruns. As soon as we learned how severe those overruns were, we stopped the project and took immediate action to put the overall project on a firm financial footing going forward. Plans are still in process, but we hope to salvage substantial value from the increased value of the original site and future cash flows from the property taxes. This does not include the benefits of businesses coming into the city. All those workers will be paying city taxes. What we really need is a small county income tax, but that's another discussion. Please wait until all the new numbers are in before passing judgment. You may be amazed at how county management has effectively dealt with a bad situation.
kev

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 25, 2013
I think we are all anxious to see the positive outcome from this beleaguered project. Good luck to you and yours sir.
kev

Oak Park, MI

#10 Sep 25, 2013
Well i trust that there will be much better communications between upcoming projects ,executive and staff And wayne county commissioners in future.hopefully these kind of conflicts can be avoided not only in wayne county and others also, no matter what political affiliations .it should be run like well oiled machinery.
kev

Oak Park, MI

#11 Sep 25, 2013
What r your comments Pete?(Tony?)
Pete

Livonia, MI

#12 Sep 25, 2013
kev wrote:
What r your comments Pete?(Tony?)
Well, it's really just Pete although I understand the confusion.
As I always say, I can't wait to see the perp walking Bobby. He is more shifty than Bill Clinton. Every time he speaks he tries to lie or put off answering until some study or future action. Then, when confronted, it's off to another date of reckoning. Charlie Leduff gets his cardio workout chasing Ficano for a single word answer.
I hope Worthy doesn't let us down. She's mad as hell about the judge ultimately freeing the Highers brothers after 25 years based upon eye witness testimony. She stands by the original guilty verdict regardless of facts-just like she did with the Hart Plaza shooter suspect that another judge forced her to release. But I will cut her a break if she comes through with a charge on Ficano.
kev

Chicago, IL

#13 Sep 25, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
As I always say, I can't wait to see the perp walking Bobby. He is more shifty than Bill Clinton. Every time he speaks he tries to lie or put off answering until some study or future action. Then, when confronted, it's off to another date of reckoning. Charlie Leduff gets his cardio workout chasing Ficano for a single word answer.
I hope Worthy doesn't let us down. She's mad as hell about the judge ultimately freeing the Highers brothers after 25 years based upon eye witness testimony. She stands by the original guilty verdict regardless of facts-just like she did with the Hart Plaza shooter suspect that another judge forced her to release. But I will cut her a break if she comes through with a charge on Ficano.
Well, slick willie may have been shifty, with lesser morals in some aspects, but he was effective in getting things done for what usa citizens elected him twice fer. If we wanted someone with high integrity and morals, we would.have elected the pope, billy graham, etc.everyone knew in 1992 clinton had a somewhat shady past that wasn't well hidden.we'll see if eveything robert says about this jail project is a win win after the dust clears from demolition. Maybe he can pull a rabbit out of a hat on this one.he says we're in for a pleasant surprise. I don't see how an extra county tax is pleasant. He has over a year to prove himself.
kev

Taylor, MI

#14 Sep 26, 2013
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I did see an interview of ficano by leduff. He certainly does keep robert on edge and a bit nervous at times . It lasted 25 minutes at some office.
kev

Buffalo, NY

#15 Sep 26, 2013
Is it cotrect of there being no blueprints of future jail before construction?
kev

Buffalo, NY

#16 Sep 26, 2013
So i assume that u will not be on the committee fer reelecting Robert ficano, PETE?
Pete

Livonia, MI

#17 Sep 26, 2013
kev wrote:
So i assume that u will not be on the committee fer reelecting Robert ficano, PETE?
A building such as the new jail would have had a site plan and an architectural plan with a set of prints including below landscape,ground utilities, elevations, plumbing, electrical, and floor, wall and roof construction. No builder would operate without such plans. I know Walbridge above all others is first rate in their work. But they are a for profit company. They will charge what they can for every change made. That's part of the overrun issue.

When the election gets closer, I will be wearing an ABF button standing for "anybody but Ficano."
kev

Toledo, OH

#18 Sep 29, 2013
Robert F wrote:
<quoted text>
Well, timing is everything Mr. Kev. At the time the planners estimated the project to come in at $220 million leaving plenty of room for contingencies. It was the right project for the right time. Everyone was on board and the logistics would have improved the flow of prisoners and cut transportation costs. As work progressed, the Wayne County Commission did not provide appropriate over-site to prevent or alert us of the overruns. As soon as we learned how severe those overruns were, we stopped the project and took immediate action to put the overall project on a firm financial footing going forward. Plans are still in process, but we hope to salvage substantial value from the increased value of the original site and future cash flows from the property taxes. This does not include the benefits of businesses coming into the city. All those workers will be paying city taxes. What we really need is a small county income tax, but that's another discussion. Please wait until all the new numbers are in before passing judgment. You may be amazed at how county management has effectively dealt with a bad situation.
Well robert, i am trying to be kind here. My own assessment is if u were the citizens, what grade would u give yourself on the handling of the taxes already? I have heard that county gets upwards 70% of the take. No there doesn't need to be an extra county tax. I agree to an emergency manager to get some of these outrageous pensions and salaries down. There was no excuse for this jail blunder no matter whose fault. You are the executive and the buck should stop with you sir. We don't have millions of dollars to throw away! Explain details of how we're going to be amazed with end result.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Two kids found wandering on Detroit's west side Sat former democrat 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Sat Well Well 20,775
What would be the best way to CLEAN UP DETROIT? (Sep '14) Sat Tony 215
News Reward offered after dog found with missing nos... Sat pet parent 2
Gay teens Michigan (Jul '16) Fri Hybrid king 13
Highwaymen Motorcycle club (Mar '11) Jan 20 Larry Smith 61
News Antonio's to reopen former Italian restaurant i... (Jun '13) Jan 19 RFLivonia 17

River Rouge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

River Rouge Mortgages