Can Detroit be the next 'Comeback Kid'?

Who doesn't love that quintessential story of the underdog who battles and claws his or her way out of some apparently impossible challenge. Full Story
Skeeter

Romulus, MI

#1 Apr 10, 2013
Any place is better than Ky. LoL
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#2 Apr 10, 2013
for a come back to occur someone has to care about or love the city.

so lets review the list of players/citizens in Detroit area see who qualifies as a caring loving citizen of da city.

Middle class white and black tax payers who cared and could have led a passionate come back have fled the city because of the excessive violence. they no longer were safe in the city.

business owners cared and invested in the city cared about financial health of the city have also fled the city because it was no longer safe to invest or try to conduct business in the lawless city.
ask Roger Penski or Bill ford about recent private investment in the city and the results of those investment........

so now we have the welfare queens with all those illigimate kids, they only care about where the next welfare check is coming from.

drug dealers, looters, arm robbers, wild kids out assaulting raping causing harm to the community don't care don't have an investment in the city.

city employees only care about the latest union contract they don't care about the city or who is going to be around to pay the taxes needed to support those outrageous pension programs they forced on tax payers with the threat of strike.

corruption, payoffs, graft at every level of city, county government because one political party kept in office too long by greedy unions selling votes for high wages and greedy pensions.

absolute power corrupts absolutely.

hey unions ya got to understand the tax payers have fled for safer areas with less taxes so whom is going to pay those taxes needed to pay all those silly union retirement contracts????

so the bottom line is no one in Detroit cares enough about the city or its history to try to stage a come back.

besides with the present population poor business environment, aggressive union bully tactics Detroit will just sink back into the sewer.

so why bother. just pave it over lost cause it would make a great parking lot.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#3 Apr 10, 2013
It's dam easy to be negative. Plenty of people here with that attitude. They have Vaseline on their glasses. Everything looks fuzzy. Meanwhile, many are already taking a chance and investing in Detroit, putting their money up front. Buildings are being bought and renovated. Young people who are not tainted by racism want to be part of the rebirth. It's always darkest before dawn and we may already be past that point. I'd rather remain positive and encourage a solution.
anon

Ann Arbor, MI

#4 Apr 10, 2013
Pete wrote:
It's dam easy to be negative. Plenty of people here with that attitude. They have Vaseline on their glasses. Everything looks fuzzy. Meanwhile, many are already taking a chance and investing in Detroit, putting their money up front. Buildings are being bought and renovated. Young people who are not tainted by racism want to be part of the rebirth. It's always darkest before dawn and we may already be past that point. I'd rather remain positive and encourage a solution.
Pete, Darling:

You can remain as positive as you wanna be about crime-ridden, poverty-stricken Detroit. Just be aware that Detroit is still the most violent city in the nation. Enter Detroit, Michigan at your own risk. I know what I am talking about because I was a former resident of Detroit for more than 40 years. I will never enter that city except to go to the Detroit Institue of Arts. They do have great art exhibits! I won't park my car in downtown Detroit. I am too afraid of getting my car stolen in Detroit. When I go to the D.I.A., I always have a relative drop me off.
anon

Ann Arbor, MI

#5 Apr 10, 2013
Correction. Not I 'was' a former resident of Detroit; I 'am' a former resident of Detroit, Michigan. Oops.
anon

Ann Arbor, MI

#6 Apr 10, 2013
reality is a crutch wrote:
for a come back to occur someone has to care about or love the city.
so lets review the list of players/citizens in Detroit area see who qualifies as a caring loving citizen of da city.
Middle class white and black tax payers who cared and could have led a passionate come back have fled the city because of the excessive violence. they no longer were safe in the city.
business owners cared and invested in the city cared about financial health of the city have also fled the city because it was no longer safe to invest or try to conduct business in the lawless city.
ask Roger Penski or Bill ford about recent private investment in the city and the results of those investment........
so now we have the welfare queens with all those illigimate kids, they only care about where the next welfare check is coming from.
drug dealers, looters, arm robbers, wild kids out assaulting raping causing harm to the community don't care don't have an investment in the city.
city employees only care about the latest union contract they don't care about the city or who is going to be around to pay the taxes needed to support those outrageous pension programs they forced on tax payers with the threat of strike.
corruption, payoffs, graft at every level of city, county government because one political party kept in office too long by greedy unions selling votes for high wages and greedy pensions.
hey unions ya got to understand the tax payers have fled for safer areas with less taxes so whom is going to pay those taxes needed to pay all those silly union retirement contracts????
so the bottom line is no one in Detroit cares enough about the city or its history to try to stage a come back.
besides with the present population poor business environment, aggressive union bully tactics Detroit will just sink back into the sewer.
so why bother. just pave it over lost cause it would make a great parking lot.
Wow! Excellent post.
Skeeter

Romulus, MI

#7 Apr 10, 2013
Excuse me, may I say something ? The aliens are here to guide us UFOs will continue with great haste, there is still hope for humanity !

Drink energy drinks coffee and smoothies, raise your conscious level and join together for a time of great things for us all here in Metro Detroit where I was born, it can be better for us all .... god Speed !
Anna Graham

Akron, OH

#8 Apr 10, 2013
Until the last of the corrupt politicians are snt to real prison, nothing will change.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#9 Apr 11, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text> Pete, Darling:
You can remain as positive as you wanna be about crime-ridden, poverty-stricken Detroit. Just be aware that Detroit is still the most violent city in the nation. Enter Detroit, Michigan at your own risk. I know what I am talking about because I was a former resident of Detroit for more than 40 years. I will never enter that city except to go to the Detroit Institue of Arts. They do have great art exhibits! I won't park my car in downtown Detroit. I am too afraid of getting my car stolen in Detroit. When I go to the D.I.A., I always have a relative drop me off.
Yo Pete.

Reality is a crutch which supports your pipe dreams, hopes expectations. I am providing a positive, grounded in reality, not rose colored glasses, or wishful thinking assessment of the chances of Detroit staging a comeback based on the present population of the city, the extreme anti negative business environment, the corrupt dysfunctional city hall mismanagement team.

Ya gotta drive through the empty city streets see all those vacant city house business lots. what do you think drove all those people away?

Given the very violent history of the city the unstable, unpredictable, lawless population that has no respect for any life even a baby in the crib , I can't envision a change in condition occurring under which middleclass home owners or business investors returning and investing to rebuild this burned out hulk.

Chicago is the only city in America with a higher murder rate than Detroit and people even welfare queens are starting to abandon Chicago for safer enviroments.

Frankly I would not move my family or my business to Detroit or Chicago.

Take a drive or better yet a walk through NYC, NY. day or night walk in the central park fly yer kite, play your sax, skate board, shop until you drop in safety 24/7.

the point is you can see first hand what happens when a city population and its elected government representatives decide to clean up it's collective act and make the city safe for all to enjoy. You can even walk In Harlem which has been a stable black community since 1850.
can you do that in Detroit??? Hummmmm??

I think Detroit is a lost cause.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#10 Apr 11, 2013
Pete wrote:
just trying to give a grounded in reality response to the open question on the table "can Detroit be the next comeback kid?"
my vision is 20/20.

Now look around the city, county, do you see an enthusiastic, energized open minded population with the mental acumen & financial & Moral resources to begin rebuilding a city in a common shared vision ??

all I see is a large bunch of uneducated welfare queens, high school dropout drug dealers with too many guns and rides who have no respect or understanding for the law of the land or for life they are willing to kill babies in cribs over drug deal gone bad???

add in the way too many lawless looters, robbers, daily assaults, rapes, fire bugs, car hijackings to the social mix.

a general population which carries guns and use them for any excuse obstacle that comes up in daily life??
any infraction real or imagined and they pull a gun and start firing??? come on man this is not the people you want to populate a new city with, unless it's in Syria or Iraq.

Plus a huge sullen unsmiling muslim crowd, growing in size, glaring at the local population trying to press or force religious law onto the larger non muslim Detroit population.

corrupt dysfunctional city & county government employees with hands out for any and all bribes for any and all services, all of whom are far more interested in personal financial growth rather than the growth and advancement of the city or county.

a decidedly business unfriendly environment with way too many federal, state, county and city taxes, federal state county and city regulations paper work, inspection fees, aggressive union bully tactics all unnecessary burdens for a business to thrive and grow.

street after street of empty house business lots, commercial properties burned out bulldozed into vacant lots..... sure sounds inviting to you perhaps but not to me.

will not be moving my business or family to such a place.

you may not like the truth/message cause it doesn't conform to your vision of reality for Detroit but I would remind you that since the king signed the Magna carta ( great letter) back in the year 1250 you can't kill the messenger any longer.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#11 Apr 11, 2013
anon wrote:
<quoted text> Pete, Darling:
We all have one vote if we care to use it. Yours is still only one no matter how loud you become.

I don't go to the DIA. I guess I'm not as sophisticated. When I go to Detroit, I carry a force multiplier and don't expect others to chauffeur my butt.
tiffany marie

United States

#12 Apr 12, 2013
I use to love the motor city.! Now I can't stand the motor city! Everybody's corrupt & crooked. The staff of detroit, the mayor of detroit, everthing about detroit is sorry, even the detroit police!!!!
tiffany marie

United States

#13 Apr 12, 2013
At least kwame made thing happen for the city, look at all the things he accomplish & didnt get a chance to finish it! Dave bing made a mess! Kwame is suffering all because he used his penis & lied about it. Robert vaconno, or whoever he is still waking around out here, wow & look at all the shady things he has done, hiring a female he having relations with, givining her 250,000,000$ jobs & shit all the dirty shit he done, but no ones messing with him. White america, wow... But they messing over kwame. Im not saying he's perfect & did everything right, but they went overboard messing with that man & his life!!! Now thats a truth moment!!!
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#14 Apr 12, 2013
tiffany marie wrote:
I use to love the motor city.! Now I can't stand the motor city! Everybody's corrupt & crooked. The staff of detroit, the mayor of detroit, everthing about detroit is sorry, even the detroit police!!!!
Detroit is a great life lesson of what happens when one political party & unions control a city government for too long 50 years in this case.

the only city in America more corrupt and far more violent than detroit is Chicago and they will be joining Detroit in bankruptcy court soon.
tax base eroding, long and short term debt growing larger ain't no tax payers left to pay the freight for this bloated fiscal mess.

Did ya know that over 520 Chicagoans were killed by gun fire in 2012??? a baby was shot killed around easter this year but the first lady, obozo, rev al "not so" sharpton did not care or mention the death which was ignored by local and national press....just no one cares.

Chicago has the same problem Detroit has which is one political party working with unions to stay in power since the 60's

Chicago black drug dealers kill more black citizens each year than any city in America. yet not a peep out of the local. national or intergalactic press??

two beautiful cities on lakes gone, ruined by political,and union mismanagement and voters who didn't care.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harsher penalties for animal abusers? (Sep '09) 3 hr anomolly 2
Detroiters voice disappointment in Kwame Kilpat... (Oct '13) 5 hr retro bush 13
Marshall's Bar 5 hr retro bush 13
Detroit spooks in Huntington 6 hr Boss Hogg 3
Lawyer for Eminem's wife files response to divo... (May '06) 8 hr Amy 11
Flooding in metro Detroit a call to action on c... 9 hr Its all B S 5
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Tue Chuck 19,285
River Rouge Dating

more search filters

less search filters