Is Detroit's turnaround turning a corner? Development spreads to new neighborhoods

Nov 25, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Detroit Free Press

Leah Retherford, 34, of Brooklyn, N.Y., left, catches up with friend Sue Weckerle, 35, of Grosse Pointe Park on Wednesday at Great Lakes Coffee Roasting's new cafe on Woodward in Detroit's Midtown neighborhood.

Comments
1 - 10 of 10 Comments Last updated Dec 16, 2012
phil

Clinton Township, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

detroit may develop more but they keep voting in crooks and felons how far to you think they are going to get.sorry but you get what you vote for and thats just more trouble for a troubled city.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Trouble will go on for some time as the true state of the budget involves billions in debt, not just the few hundred million in the news now. Services will be reduced. The climate will not be attractive to business. Still, there are those who want to get in on the ground floor and be part of saving the city. When the net population begins to increase, that will be one key sign of a renaissance.
Cobbler

Wayne, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2012

Judged:

Pardon me.

It's the corner of hopelessness and despair.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

If it's a turnaround, perhaps it's more of a long protracted curve than a U-turn. You don't even need to stagger your tires or put some wedge in to handle a curve this mild.
Mrs Kowalski

New Baltimore, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 13, 2012

Judged:

Turn around? They have been talking that rubbish since the "Renaissance Center" was built. In order for Detroit to "turn around", you would have to get rid of all the Detroiters, bulldoze the entire city and start over.
Mister James

Flint, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Mrs Kowalski wrote:
Turn around? They have been talking that rubbish since the "Renaissance Center" was built. In order for Detroit to "turn around", you would have to get rid of all the Detroiters, bulldoze the entire city and start over.
...Do the words screw you you racist simpleton have any meaning? they should!
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

It's so easy to be negative if you only look at headlines and don't do the digging into the facts. Most people don't have a need to look at more so it's understandable.

However, much is going on in Detroit. Rents are rising and many are higher than suburban residential rates. I was shocked to find this out myself. It seems to be building from the center on out. Thus, this article highlights the mid-town area where space and economics still work for this particular business.

Detroit is poorly managed. Businesses find a way to manage in bad times. They see the opportunities down the road and are getting ready now.

Since: Oct 12

Detroit, MI.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Mrs Kowalski wrote:
The Renaissance be my favorite motel on Woodward.
Pete

Livonia, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Kallarik27 wrote:
<quoted text>
The Renaissance be my favorite motel on Woodward.
There is no Renaissance motel on Woodward to my knowledge. It's the dump called the La Renaissance Motel out by Seven Mile. This has nothing to do with the downtown Renaissance Hotel, which is not on Woodward.
jackson

Panama City Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Abandon detroit and move to atlanta and start the process all over again, you'll have about 30-40 years to suck the system dry. Happy happy

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
River Rouge Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

River Rouge Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

River Rouge People Search