11 in running to be next Detroit mayor; 3 out of council race

Full story: Detroit Free Press
The field of candidates who will officially make the Aug. 6 primary ballot in the race to succeed Detroit Mayor Dave Bing grew by two this week to 11, while three people withdrew from City Council races, according to a tally released late Friday by the City Clerk's Office. Full Story
Pete

Livonia, MI

#1 May 21, 2013
Tom Barrow is working on cutting down the field by eligibility challenges. The latest is that Duggan filed is petitions on April 2nd and was not a resident of Detroit until April 16th of 2012 and therefore less than a year. Duggan could have waited until after the 16th to file and would have been legal. The law is the law. Some filers for other races were disqualified for this exact reason. Based on this technicality, Duggan should have been disqualified already. Why has he not?

So far, no major news agencies have picked up on this as a story. Either this is a non-story or a big one ready to explode.
Bensleys best

Nashua, NH

#2 May 23, 2013
11 choices?

Wow ! That will really confuse the registered voters who can't read on grade.

They are used to only one choice Democrat which is why the city is in the sad condition it's in today.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#4 May 23, 2013
The election commision will be meeting in an hour and we will have an answer. There may be appeals either way.

Tom Barrow has always been frugal with the truth. He did 18 months in fed prison and is an ex-felon. I remember him stating one thing about his accounting on the radio at 1PM and denying that he said those words on a talk show at 7PM. This is his 4th try at becoming mayor. All his life has been about big talk and flouting the fact of his familial relationship to the great Joe Louis. Even if his ploy does not work, it serves to put some taint on Duggan.

Duggan comes straight out and says, "If where I lived means more to you than what I can do for the city then vote for someone else."

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 2 hr Anita 19,287
Detroit Teen Dies After Detonating Grenade (Mar '06) 6 hr Blake Shelton 8
Detroit spooks in Huntington 7 hr Brian Adam 5
Harsher penalties for animal abusers? (Sep '09) 7 hr Tulsa Tom 3
Detroiters voice disappointment in Kwame Kilpat... (Oct '13) 7 hr B Mcquade 14
Marshall's Bar 16 hr retro bush 13
Lawyer for Eminem's wife files response to divo... (May '06) 19 hr Amy 11
River Rouge Dating
Find my Match

River Rouge Jobs