Gaddis survives WCHB shakeup

Gaddis survives WCHB shakeup

There are 23 comments on the Detroit News story from Jun 8, 2008, titled Gaddis survives WCHB shakeup. In it, Detroit News reports that:

Michael H. Hodges / The Detroit News There's more churn in Detroit's radio universe, as WCHB-AM "News Talk 1200" undergoes a programming change.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Queen

United States

#1 Jun 8, 2008
If Mildred leaves, so do I !!!!!!!!!!
Former Listener

United States

#2 Jun 9, 2008
I think it is unfortunate and disturbing that at such a critical time in our history, Radio One chooses to eliminate Talk Radio. Many people were educated and informed from the many perspectives and viewpoints given. As I surf the radio, I find music of all sorts on the radio, what I don't find is Talk Radio from a black perspective; how unfortunate is this change and as a former avid listener of WCHB, I am now a sadden former listener.
Former Listener Also

United States

#3 Jun 9, 2008
I was genuinely disturbed to listen to WCHB today and find out that Warren Ballentine, Al Sharpton and Angelo Henderson would no longer be on 1200. Mildred' show typically offers only one perspective, we need more diverse opinions heard,discussed and expressed. Shame on Radio One for changing its format at such a critical time in our history. It's hard to believe it is a black owned station that feels it is more critical to bring on music than continue the education of a people. I am no longer a WCHB listener.
Steve

United States

#4 Jun 10, 2008
I was shocked this morning to learn the new format. I use to love listening to the station because it had a variety of opinions from quality on-air personalities. I'm not getting the comment made by the station's manager saying "the station needed a clearer focus." I thought the talk format was a clear and concise focus. I can't really listen to Gaddis that much because of her one sided-ness. Thank you WCHB for turning into an old spiritual station. Just want Detroit needs.
motoman

Erie, PA

#5 Jun 10, 2008
I differ with you Mr Steve of Troy Mi. Ms Gaddis is not one sided-ness, she only deal facts not rumors, not he say she say B.S. so what ever side she tell, she keep the good citizens of Detroit informed.
lovechild

Roseville, MI

#6 Jun 11, 2008
Radio one is afraid of offending Massa. Just like during slavery blacks were only allowed to focus on singing, dancing and religion, in a nut shell be emotional. Critical thinking was discourage just like it is being discourage today.
devoted listener

Okemos, MI

#7 Jun 16, 2008
I am really glad that you did not get rid of mildred in the morning. She is
very informative,keeping us in tune with local politics. I'm also sad
to see the others go though.
charlie

Montevideo, Uruguay

#8 Jun 19, 2008
Detroit needs to have a forum where issues important to the black community are discussed. Black talk radio is that "kitchen table" across which things that are on folks' minds are exchanged. But more importantly, there are certain events which would never reach the light of day without shows like Al Shaprton's or Angelo Hnederson's. What a crime it is that a black-owned business is now denying the black community access to the information it needs to survive and thrive. Radio One is behaving like Clear Channel.
Solphie

United States

#9 Jul 7, 2008
I am shock to say the least. How does one think that a community, especially our black community need more "how he saved an old wrech like me" songs, oppose to, real informative information. I no longer listen to wchb, although my girl is excellent! Mildred of course. I'm not staying in tune. I feel like we have been sold out!!!!!!!
Wilma Berry

Eads, TN

#10 Jul 7, 2008
Once again this community has been ignored. We needed the input from Warren Ballentine, Al Sharpton, and Angelo Henderson. Where does this community turn for a national perspective about the African- American community? We do not need more Gospel! Diversity is strengthened when the entire community is exposed to view points from several ethnic perspectives.
mj detroit

United States

#11 Jul 10, 2008
why throw the axe at the only political shows from the black perspective. i love gospel but wouldn't more people listen to gospel in their cars if it was on an FM station? iv'e listened to wchb for years to stay informed. you cant throw in a CD that keeps you abreast of todays political issues. but you can certainly through in a cd for gospel music. I love Mildred too, but im at work with no radio during her time slot. what a big mistake!!!
BwN

United States

#12 Jul 27, 2008
I really wish they had cancelled Mildred's show. She is really one sided with her views. It just makes my blood crawl when she so rudely cuts a person off the air, when she doesn't agree with their comments.
Then there is John, Hellooo Mildred Gaddis.I believe he has to be the most ignorant person to call in every day to her show. What a idiot.
Mildred get a life. Find some Southfield, Mi. Gossip to talk about day end and day out.
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for you to do, since you're a resident of Southfield.
Gregory Creswell

Waterford, MI

#14 Jul 30, 2008
If she-Mildred Gaddis-went to a "one call per week" rule, she would only be on Monday thru Wednesday. She tried that about 8 years ago and the plan was a bust. By Thursday, she was struggling for callers, true story, and she has not tried that since, LOL. BwN is correct about MG, "she [really] is one sided with her views" but most talk show host or hostess are, her real problem is she is not, in her own words, "she is not strong enough when it comes to certain views". She was a Tavis Smiley's fan until he supported Kwame Kilpatrick for Mayor, and as far as I know, she has not had him on her show since 2001. Al Sharpton also supported KK but she had to interview Al for reasons not under her control. Anyway I am not shocked that WCHB did what it did, it's all about saving money for that station's owners. But it is sad though that it has never ever had a non-liberal/leftist on it's station as a host or hostess, with as many hours as the liberals/leftist has had over the years.
Gregory Creswell

Waterford, MI

#15 Jul 30, 2008
That's Gregory Creswell of Detroit,MI,USA not Livonia,MI. I'm just setting the record straight that's all.
lj3s Fort Smith Arkansas

United States

#16 Aug 8, 2008
Although I do not always agree with Mildred Gaddis, the show is informative and needed. As were the shows that were cancelled. It sort of sounds like one of those "blood is thicker than water" situations...Mildred is considered blood to WCHB and her blood brings ratings and money! I no longer reside in MI and I miss these kind of shows that are not available in my new town. The people would be better served had the shows that were cut been left on! Shame on WCHB!
patann

Waterford, MI

#17 Sep 3, 2008
I would also like to see more of a talk format on WCHB radio,Mildred Gaddis is wonderful,more of her type of programming throughout the day is needed for the citizens of Detroit.

patann in Detroit.
smitty

Brandon, MS

#18 Dec 16, 2008
I feel in the age of information media we need to be more in touch. The old format of the Warren Balentine and Al Sharpton was great but if you would like replace Rev Sharpton with someone eles that might work. But people in Detroit listen to talk radio. Give us what we want more talk.
Willie in Detroit

Newark, DE

#19 Dec 19, 2008
Clearly, I do not agree with Ms. Gaddis 100% of time however, I do respect the fact that she will do her research. I only hope the rest of Detroit starts to ask tough questions and dig hard for the answers needed to make good choices. By the way did Rev. Hood pay for the land where his Academy is? Likewise for Mr. Hendrix and his Pirate Cove and Kmart land deals using Detroit City pension fund money? WAKE UP DETROIT you cannot afford to elect another name without looking carefully onto their past. We need Mildred more than ever because we're to lazy to do it ourselves.
Well Hell

United States

#20 May 10, 2012
BwN wrote:
I really wish they had cancelled Mildred's show. She is really one sided with her views. It just makes my blood crawl when she so rudely cuts a person off the air, when she doesn't agree with their comments.
Then there is John, Hellooo Mildred Gaddis.I believe he has to be the most ignorant person to call in every day to her show. What a idiot.
Mildred get a life. Find some Southfield, Mi. Gossip to talk about day end and day out.
I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for you to do, since you're a resident of Southfield.
4 years later and she is still on air. I respect the fact that she has a talk show but like other people on here have said that she, at times, can be one sided. She is often rude to callers. She talks to some of them as if they are stupid, Hangs up on them if they dont respond quick enough when SHE says hello, and when some greet her with "How are You?" She intentionally does not answer as if to say " That's none of your business".

She has her regular callers such as "Jon" and the older women that talk like they sit in the house and watch the news all day. She would tolerate them , but when someone calls in to correct her or talks with some sense, she hangs up on them. And the producing is atrocious. In the middle of an interview, a commercial will just pop on, or the station ID just comes in over her talking. I could go on but it must be working because she is still on the air.
my concensus

Livonia, MI

#21 May 10, 2012
Much of what has been posted is true. The station must have faulty equipment run by rookies. They play clips over one another. They have huge breaks that would have required FCC reports years ago. The interviews are mostly blacks.

But WCHB and Mildred have street cred. Godbee will go on the air to get his message out. Mildred does ask tough questions of these people. You will receive information on her show that will never be presented elsewhere.

I have noticed more recently that Mildred has locked into a bit more racist perspective. She fights it, but that's where she comes down. Maybe it's about surviving at the station. Maybe it is affected by her newer husband.

All talk radio shows have problems. We must suffer fools and foolishness at times to learn things.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Do u think David J Banaszak sucks cock in Gaylo... Sun Opie Dawg 1
blacks mismanaging blacks Sun Cracker 7
News Despite record profits, Detroit automakers get ... Sat Summer Friend 1
News Racially biased cancer doctors spend less time ... Sat Summer Friend 6
News Iwo Jima flag raiser identified as Marine from ... Sat bozo 1
News Man charged with opening fire on Lodge Freeway Jun 24 Backby PopularDemand 1
News Former Detroit Council President Charles Pugh c... Jun 24 Backby PopularDemand 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

River Rouge Mortgages