Can Salvageable Abandoned Homes Be Put To Good Use?

Posted in the River Rouge Forum

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#1 Oct 18, 2013
What are your ideas on fixing up abandoned homes? Do you think people who are unemployed could be given minimum wage jobs to help repair or tear down abandoned homes with the help, oversight, and assistance of voluntary home construction workers and builders?
Pete

Livonia, MI

#2 Oct 18, 2013
I don't think so. It takes training even to demolish homes. There are many safety issues. It takes heavy equipment operation. There are lead and asbestos abatement concerns.

Again, skills are required for plumbing, electrical, drywall and other repair jobs. The people who want these homes are not equipped to do any of the repairs in most cases. Also, the products needed are expensive. Many of the homes have been recklessly stripped of essentials and repair is not economically feasible.

Yes, there are a few homes that have been protected and could be rehabilitated. A brave soul can purchase them and begin the work, meanwhile guarding their new copper and appliances as the thieves are watching as the stuff goes in.

It really demands a sea change in the hearts of those who live in Detroit. It will not happen.

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#3 Oct 18, 2013
I absolutely agree with everything you've said Pete, especially the part about heart conditions and mindsets needing to be changed in a positive way concerning the rebuilding of a broken and once great city. It is a sad reality of the times that we are living in and under. Question Pete: Can't laborers just simply haul out the debris of the abandoned houses, once it has been deemed safe for entry. And then they be given safety equipment to do the simple things such as removing debris?: hard hats, face masks, steel toe shoes, thick work gloves, safety glasses etc.....Or is this another area that is not feasible either....Just wondering?
Pete

Livonia, MI

#4 Oct 18, 2013
ragus wrote:
I absolutely agree with everything you've said Pete, especially the part about heart conditions and mindsets needing to be changed in a positive way concerning the rebuilding of a broken and once great city. It is a sad reality of the times that we are living in and under. Question Pete: Can't laborers just simply haul out the debris of the abandoned houses, once it has been deemed safe for entry. And then they be given safety equipment to do the simple things such as removing debris?: hard hats, face masks, steel toe shoes, thick work gloves, safety glasses etc.....Or is this another area that is not feasible either....Just wondering?
Cleaning out abandoned homes could be done with minimal training. Demolition is not an easy job. The potential lead and asbestos is not going to be handled by non-professionals with hand tools. That simply is too inefficient. The home needs to be bulldozed and loaded into a truck. Then it is carried to a proper landfill. The foundation needs to be dug up and filled. This takes heavy equipment, not shovels. The day charge on this equipment is heavy and you are not putting DIY people in the seat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Flooding in metro Detroit a call to action on c... 1 hr Number One 4
Lawyer for Eminem's wife files response to divo... (May '06) 2 hr tinglecheese 9
Dwan Sims missing 4yr old 1994 cold case doesn'... (Jul '09) 3 hr Terry 110
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr Chuck 19,281
Looking for a male Beagle to breed w/ my Beagle (Aug '12) 14 hr GianCarlo 10
Federal judges put a halt to appeals in Detroit... 21 hr AnalBead 2
What is the cause of Detroit's problems ? Mon reality is a crutch 8

River Rouge Jobs

River Rouge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

River Rouge News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in River Rouge

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]