Protesters seek 'affordability plan' ...

Protesters seek 'affordability plan' during rally against Detroit water shut-offs

There are 5 comments on the Detroit News story from Jun 30, 2014, titled Protesters seek 'affordability plan' during rally against Detroit water shut-offs. In it, Detroit News reports that:

A group of community activists and religious leaders protested Monday outside of Gov. Rick Snyder's Midtown office to express opposition to controversial water shut-offs by the city.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Detroit News.

reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#1 Jun 30, 2014
whats needed is a job plan get all these low income folks into some of those high paying jobs obozo claims he created.

with jobs they could pay bills and stop whining.
Steve

Sumter, SC

#2 Jun 30, 2014
There are some tragic situations where temporary assistance is warranted. In the vast majority of cases I believe people have simply learned that the utility bills can be deferred over Lotto tickets, cigarettes and booze. This is a conscious decision. The water department wants to move up the priority list so the people who use the water will pay and not have other people pay for them. The approach the delinquents use is efficient.
kev

Toledo, OH

#3 Jun 30, 2014
This plan may be similar to the homelesswho go to get medical care at a hospital. Of course they can't pay. It is tacked onto everyone s hospital bills. Only thing is water bills r quite affordable compared to hospital bills one bill could bankrupt u. Water and sewage hasn'tgotten to this point yet.
Steve

Sumter, SC

#4 Jun 30, 2014
Someone posted earlier elsewhere that they should apply a pacemaker to the water outlet of non payers to trickle the flow so they could get a drink, but it would be an annoying process.

I know such things are not feasible in our society, but how about a vending machine pay-as-you-go approach? If you want water pressure, you put money in the slot for a push of water. Mel Farr used such a plan to sell used vehicles. Buyers had to drive over to the dealer weekly and make a payment or the vehicle's engine would shut down. Mel was criticized and eventually went broke partly because of repossessions and the recession. Detroiters would be relieving themselves on the street with this plan even more than now.

Since: Jul 14

Jasper, IN

#5 Jul 1, 2014
I don't see why they don't take 1 years worth of bills +25% for a fluctuation, and then divide it up by 12. IE: if my water bill is 35.00/mo for five people, that's 420.00/year. Plus estimated flux of 25%=105.00. 420+105=525.00/12= 43.75 flat rate.
That was just an estimate, but at least people would know what they're paying each month and if they've had good payment history for a year *then* I would give them a thirty day grace period.
Nothing's FREE. But utilities are essential. Shut the phone or cable off if you can't afford a bill. Rob Peter to Pay Paul (not literally) but keep your water on.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Stu 7866 19,947
Rockin Reggie Brown "Best Freinds Gang" (Nov '11) 13 hr bd56bd 34
News DFD source says city lacks adequate fire coverage Tue reality is a crutch 1
News Feds Say Metro Detroit Cancer Doctor's Victims ... Mon Free Kwame 1
Jack Van Impe is dead (Mar '11) Mon bob 478
News Scenes from Jerry Vile's 'Oracle of Vile' art show Mon Schlitz_drinker 1
News Elderly Detroit man with dementia missing Mon Free Kwame 1
More from around the web

River Rouge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]