1945-1949 Detroit
90 plus

Humble, TX

#1 Feb 24, 2013
Does anyone remember that period ? I lived at the downtown YMCA. I hung out at the Arena Gardens roller rink. I met girls from Europe . I was told that one of the utility co's hired young women who lost parents in WW2 . They lived in the Pricilla Inn, a hotel for women only. I CAN NOT find any info on this on the Internet. I remember Detroit during WW2, good & bad times. I loved Edgewater Park in N.W. Detroit, going to Bob-Lo island &when it shutt down durning the war. I remember VE Day and VJ Day. We left Detroit in 1984. I lost my wife of 57 years. I like the NEW downtown. Credit to the NEW MAYOR and TWO PIZZA KINGS. MINI-FARMS is a good ideal .
Son of Mathusala

Buffalo, NY

#2 Feb 24, 2013
90 plus wrote:
Does anyone remember that period ? I lived at the downtown YMCA. I hung out at the Arena Gardens roller rink. I met girls from Europe . I was told that one of the utility co's hired young women who lost parents in WW2 . They lived in the Pricilla Inn, a hotel for women only. I CAN NOT find any info on this on the Internet. I remember Detroit during WW2, good & bad times. I loved Edgewater Park in N.W. Detroit, going to Bob-Lo island &when it shutt down durning the war. I remember VE Day and VJ Day. We left Detroit in 1984. I lost my wife of 57 years. I like the NEW downtown. Credit to the NEW MAYOR and TWO PIZZA KINGS. MINI-FARMS is a good ideal .
WOW. That's quite a story.
Congratulations on being able to sit up and take nourishment.
Anonymous

Humble, TX

#3 Feb 24, 2013
More info. Detroit & WW2 . My Mother was a neighborhood air raid warden. We had air-raid drills in school. Food , gas , clothing Rationing. 4gallons of gasoline a month. Etc. Detroit became more in danger of air attracts than anywhere in the U.S.We built 92%. Of all Military Vehicles. 87% of all Bombs. 75% of All Aircraft Engines. Detroit earned the titles , ARSENAL OF DEMOCRACY .& THE CITY THAT WON THE WAR. We left Detroit in mid 1945 and purchased a farm in Hillsdale Co.
Anonymous

Humble, TX

#4 Feb 24, 2013
Here is more info about Detroit & WW2 that you WILL NOT FIND ON THE INTERNET. The War Department hired MIS-FITS , not fit for military or work in a Defense Plant to collect for scrap metal drives. Many antique and collector cars were TAKEN off the street and sometimes from your back yard.
Skeeter

Romulus, MI

#6 Feb 25, 2013
90 plus wrote:
Everything still looks the same, it feels like 1963 here today....
Sun of Mathusala

Buffalo, NY

#7 Feb 25, 2013
Skeeter wrote:
<quoted text>Everything still looks the same, it feels like 1963 here today....
90plus can remember 1963. He has trouble with today's menu.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News A scam and a protest on the streets of downtown... 2 hr reality is a crutch 1
News Michael Jacksona s White Glove Is Available for... 4 hr Meanie 5
News 3 Men Wanted In Connection With Fatal Triple Sh... Wed Pardon Me 2
News Some Detroit teachers don't receive paycheck Wed reality is a crutch 1
News Man Who Shot His Dog With Arrow To Stand Trial ... Tue led_poison 4
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Tue Samuel-7g-Jackson 20,089
Natural Gas, High Speed Trains, Etc. Tue Tony 12
More from around the web

Personal Finance

River Rouge Mortgages