Blame the suburbs for Detroit's woes?

Blame the suburbs for Detroit's woes?

There are 35 comments on the WXYZ story from Feb 28, 2013, titled Blame the suburbs for Detroit's woes?. In it, WXYZ reports that:

That's what Urban Studies Theorist Dr. Richard Florida believes. While speaking at the Detroit Regional Chamber Conference Thursday, Florida placed the blame on Detroit's suburbs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WXYZ.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ronald

Long Beach, CA

#23 Mar 2, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut your piehole troll, don't need a link for the obvious, everybody knows white history, the real history not the crap they made up. Whites have done far worst then any black could ever do. All the evil on the earth comes from the white man. Now go back to drinking your white lemonade.
snapcracklepop.

Yes. You are right. The White man was able to civilize the Indians. He did the best he could with the Africans.

Ronald
Skeeter

Romulus, MI

#24 Mar 2, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
Shut your piehole troll, don't need a link for the obvious, everybody knows white history, the real history not the crap they made up. Whites have done far worst then any black could ever do. All the evil on the earth comes from the white man. Now go back to drinking your white lemonade.
Aliens will decimate the the black race and do what the white race is unable to do on our behalf ?
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#26 Mar 3, 2013
Detroit made this fiscal mess with no help from outside.

There is an axiom in economics which states
"WHAT YOU TAX YOU GET LESS OF WHAT YOU SUBSIDIZE YOU GET MORE OF.

Now look around your city your state and see the results of 53 years of liberal government.

Detroit can't change until the mind set of Detroit changes to a business friendly environment.

Reduce federal, state, county, city regulations, taxes, fees permits, city inspector bribes, keep unions out, create a business friendly environment.
Allen

Buffalo, NY

#27 Mar 3, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
Even Oprah says white rice and white potatoes will kill you. Black is the new white. You can have a failing city in any color you want as long as it's black.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#28 Mar 3, 2013
assigning blame isn't going o fix anything except hatred.

Detroit needs an attitude adjustment and bankruptcy court is just the place to get it..

If the city is to survive as a city it needs to clean the slate of taxes, paper work regulations and start over. Reducing state county and city taxes is a good beginning.

I travel around the country as a consultant and hear radio and TV ads recruiting business to this or that state. As a business owner I would not want to move my business to MI unless I were sure I could EARN A DECENT PROFIT there.

Profit is not a dirty word , profit is what fuels the community and government around a business.
Profits build those new schools, parks, hospitals.
creates more new jobs.

Even GM which is a union/government mismanaged operation in search of better profits opened a transmission plant in mexico which is telling Detroit and MI that they need to operate with lower labor cost to pay some of the high taxes imposed by the state and city.

Create a open job area in the city, no unions no union recruiters, lower state, county, city taxes. no paper work, no greedy city inspectors demanding pay offs, real incentives to bring a MFG, distribution center, high tech development center,
JOBS to the area.

or Detroit can keep doing what it has been doing for the past 54 years and we can all see just how well that's been working for ya.

remember that axiom from economics which states

"WHAT YOU TAX YOU GET LESS OF WHAT YOU SUBSIDEZ YOU GET MORE OF"

Now please look around your city, county, your state and see the results of what ya been doing for 54 years.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#30 Mar 3, 2013
Detroit is not fixable as presently constituted,
too corrupt to dysfunctional.

the city needs to open a non union shop area in which business can operate and earn a profit.

GM recently opened a transmission shop in mexico which says they too need to operate in an environment in which they can predict and control labor and tax cost.

As a business consultant I travel around the country and hear ads from many cities, counties and states trying to attract business to relocate.

The city , county and state need to reduce taxes, permits, license fees, fire greedy city building inspectors demanding under the table fees.
reduce the cost and time requirements of doing business in the Detroit area.

Go after distribution operations , high tech non union development, you have a great harbor area that could support import export business.

or the area could keep doing what they have been doing for the past 53 years and we can all see how well that's been working for the area right??

what you tax you get less of what you subsidize you get more of..

now look around your city, county state and do you want more of this or are you ready for real change reform.

do away with the corrupt city hall staff start over non union. city council gone fire them all.
leave the corrupt city officials in jail where they belong. ya got the history of the problem right there one party in charge too long.

Build the city back up attract new business new citizens to the city then hold elections but not until then because the present low income population is part of the collective problem the city has, the population has been brain washed into voting for one party.

they don't realize that diversity in public office holders is a good thing and keep changing office holders often.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#31 Mar 3, 2013
Lion wrote:
<quoted text>
" If I were king of the fore-e-e-est / Not queen, not duke, not prince / My regal robes of the fore-e-e-est / Would be satin, not cotton, not chintz / I'd command each thing, whether fish or fowl / With a r-r-ruff and a r-r-ruff, and a royal growl - R-R-Ruff!/ As I click my heels / All the trees would kneel / And the mountains bow / And the bulls kowtow / And the sparrow would take wing / If I, if I were ki-i-i-i-ng!/ The rabbits would show respect to me / The chipmunks genuflect to me / Though my tail would lash / I would show compash / For every underling / If I, if I were king / Just ki-i-i-i-ing! "
ya need to start taking your depression/ anxiety medications again help you calm down , contact your mental health provider or therapist asap get back into those secessions again, soon you will get a grip on reality.

( what is in the water there???)
mike

Akron, OH

#33 Mar 3, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please - the blacks in Africa still cant figure out how to irrigate soil. And yet we expect them to run a city.
Padraic

Buffalo, NY

#34 Mar 3, 2013
mike wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh please - the blacks in Africa still cant figure out how to irrigate soil. And yet we expect them to run a city.
Yea, it's like dumping Gary Coleman in the cockpit of an F-16.
Mencken

Prentiss, MS

#35 Mar 3, 2013
snapcracklepop wrote:
<quoted text>
I predicted you couldn't back up your mouth. Remember?
Mencken wrote:
<quoted text>Can you present facts to back up what you say? You can't and everyone reading this knows it. But we are going to wait here -- one more time -- and let the black man try to prove himself again.
We waited. And in typical ghetto fashion, you spout names, never facts, as predictable as the sunrise, as predictable as -- well, as predictable as the black man. We don't need a link for the obvious, you say, because everybody knows the *real* white history.

Well, I don't. Educate me. Can you even provide a link to this *real* white history, so called? I'd love to read it.

A mind *is* a terrible thing to waste. The black man and snapcracklepop demonstrates this daily. They've never been anything, never done anything, and they never will.
Mencken

Prentiss, MS

#36 Mar 4, 2013
Take a look, world, at Kallark. Challenged to source his BS (post #12), he can't and tries to fast talk his way around (see post #21).

When you hold his feet to the fire, though (post #35), Kallark gets *reeeeal* quiet, he turns away, he ignores. Oh, he's got time to respond on other threads (Why are Blacks such animals? post #90).

Kallark can't do anything but get a beatdown because he's got nothing, no facts. He'll try to move the goalposts, he'll try to change the subject, all sound and fury and signifying nothing.

Kallark is a little bit like Detroit: They both show that the black man is smart enough to know that he can't exist without the white man; and he's too stupid to do anything to change that.

And he *hates* you for it.
Head Hunter

Richmond, VA

#37 Mar 4, 2013
Where are the black people with ideas? I know some exist. The posters here are certainly not representative, but I would expect more diversity than we have. All we have is two black apologists that never accept any responsibility and never present useful plan to move forward. This is what the government has run into with Detroit. Nobody wants to run Detroit, but the state was forced to step in to protect the citizens of the whole state including Detroit. First the state offered a consent agreement to allow the city full control of itself. The mayor and council did not live up to that agreement. Now they complain of losing control. Control will be given back as soon as some order is restored.
This Topix group could benefit from an honest debate that included blacks with real ideas, not just rhetoric they learned from their parents.
Elephantishia

Prentiss, MS

#38 Mar 5, 2013
Hello, dis be duh Detroit Poe-leese DuhpartMENT? Yeeus, den I like to report a puhson be missin'. He name be Kallark. He las' name be 27.

I say he las' name be 27.

How you spell dat? Er, uh, t-w-e-n-u-h -- er, uh, Hell,'on't know how he las' name be spelt and all dat shi'.

But he were on duh Topix, er, uh, he be on dat Topix forum thread or fred or whate'er it be called "Blame the suburbs for Detroit's woes?" And he were in a debate or a bedate or sumpin' like dat you call it. Nome sayin'? He were in a bedate wit a dude he name be Mencken. And Kallark he just disappear. We don't be see him on dat thread or fred or whatever dat thang is you call it on duh Topix.

Can y'all do dat what you call "be on duh lookout" fuh him? I know you don't be come out here or nothing because you the Detroit Poe-leece DuhpartMENT and you ain't got no money and all to be doin' y'all job and er'rythang. But we real worry down here because Kallark, he just SNAP and he be gone and we don't see him on dat fred no mo'.
reality is a crutch

Nashua, NH

#39 Mar 5, 2013
assigning blame isn't going to resolve the problem.

Look in the mirror Detroit . 53 years of one party & unions mismanaging the Detroit economy has brought the city to bankruptcy court.

There is an axiom in economics which states.

" what you tax you get less of, what you subsidize you get more of"

Now please look around the city, county and state and see the results of 53 years of over taxation, aggressive union tactics & city country and state over regulation of business and expansive give away pay and perks to unions.

Detroit today and Chicago soon are the result of too many years of liberal one party control.

Detroit voters voted for this mess let them go bankrupt and the courts will fix what the citizens & elected office holders & unions are not collectively smart enough to correct.

cause it was always been about staying in power and the next election, never about what was best for the city or the citizens
Mencken

Carson, MS

#40 Mar 6, 2013
reality is a crutch wrote:
assigning blame isn't going to resolve the problem.
Look in the mirror Detroit . 53 years of one party & unions mismanaging the Detroit economy has brought the city to bankruptcy court.
There is an axiom in economics which states.
" what you tax you get less of, what you subsidize you get more of"
Now please look around the city, county and state and see the results of 53 years of over taxation, aggressive union tactics & city country and state over regulation of business and expansive give away pay and perks to unions.
Detroit today and Chicago soon are the result of too many years of liberal one party control.
Detroit voters voted for this mess let them go bankrupt and the courts will fix what the citizens & elected office holders & unions are not collectively smart enough to correct.
cause it was always been about staying in power and the next election, never about what was best for the city or the citizens
Oh, Good Lord, come the hell on. What are you? A Republican? It had nothing to do with a political party and unions. Detroit is a toilet because it is of the blacks, run by the blacks for the blacks.

By the way, have you seen Kallark27? He seems to have gone MIA from this thread recently.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Rouge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 1 hr Goose 19,930
What would be the best way to CLEAN UP DETROIT? (Sep '14) 6 hr Joe Balls 136
The Mayor of Detroit is Wrong, Here is a Better... (Feb '10) 8 hr Tony 441
Hardcore Pawn is a JOKE! (May '12) 13 hr james meyer 72
News Brutal truth on Detroit schools: Hard-working e... 14 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 5
News Rant Van: Is it safe to pump gas in Detroit? 14 hr Free Kwame 1
News State Senator Accused of Shooting at Car Shows ... 15 hr Batch 37 Pain Is ... 2
More from around the web

River Rouge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]