Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

Judged:

Francine wrote:
For over 35 years, I have been concerned for the
safety of our schools and public offices.
In light of the senseless and tragic massacre of children and teachers in Newton, Conn., I sincerely hope that the members of District 103 board re-evaluate school security issues.
Cameras, extra security officers, sophisticated locking devices and extremely strict rules be put into place immediately, so we can assure the community that everything is being done possible to protect the children and entire staff .
For now, the only thing we can say is that the families of this horrible and unthinkable crime find some sort of comfort in knowing that we care and share in their sorrow. There are no words !
My heart goes out to the people of Newton, Connecticut, I can't even begin to imagine what they feel. As far as School Dist. 103 Board of Ed, I have served on it for 33 years and security, ever since the Laurie Dann shooting, has been a top priority for 103. When the Dann episode unfolded 103 met asap to set in place locked doors at all of the schools. Since then, we not only have locked doors but the only entrance people can get in during school hours is front doors. All schools, there is a security area between the entry to the building and the entry into the school itself. All schools, people need to be buzzed in. All schools have cameras at the entrance so that the office can see who they are buzzing in. All visitors must sign in and obtain visitor passes. All visitors are briefly screened to see what their business is in the school. George Washington Middle School has security cameras inside and outside the entire building with new cameras ordered for the new expansion area. 103 is once again reviewing their security policies to see what, if anything else, can be added/done. 103 just had a safety meeting to review procedures a couple of weeks ago with village law enforcements in 103. Please give us your suggestions, we are always open to the the public for their comments. Our flags fly at half mast, set in place before Prez Obama requested it. Our hearts break and our prayers go to the people of Newton, there are no words to say, only prayers. God Help these people and hold their babies.
Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 15, 2012

We need a resurgence in Federal Grant programs
to re-evaluate school security issues.

http://www.thegranthelpers.com/blog/bid/10506... .
Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Judged:

http://www.washingtonguardian.com/washingtons...

These are facts! Please stop trying to make issues
out of rumors.
JLS

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Francine wrote:
We need a resurgence in Federal Grant programs
to re-evaluate school security issues.
http://www.thegranthelpers.com/blog/bid/10506... .
Just remember, federal grants are our taxes and with the feds cutting and sequestration, I don't count on anything much less the feds.
HUM

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

She Back wrote:
First off, the killings in Connecticut...and Columbine...and at the school in Russia and all other situations where innocents are murdered are horrific and inexcusable. That said, as with assassinations, if the perpetrators are determined enough and suicidal, such atrocities unfortunately are almost impossible to prevent in all cases. And exactly WHERE is the money going to come from for these grants to re-evaluate security at every school? Given the Federal deficit and all...
Seems to me SD 103 is on top of things here as far as security goes...but the school Board meeting is at Costello School Monday night, for any who have questions or comments about school security. Check their website or call them for the time.
Given that here in the Chicagoland area, far more children...and adults...are being shot and killed on the streets and in the neighborhoods than in schools, I tend to worry a bit more about security/protection at the two parks adjacent and across from the Village Hall/Police Station, given that the PD has NO ONE manning the window/desk after - what is it - 5 PM week nights and on the weekends...and heard (don't know if this is true or not) a law-abiding citizen - not knowing any better - recently just walked in the back door of the Police Station and wandered around the corridors. Are there grants - federal or otherwise - to re-evaluate those security issues??? Or "best practices" VOL could adopt?
I tend to agree with you. So many getting shot in Chicago, breakins here in Lyons, shootings in our town, gangs in town, police working their butts off and risking their lives.........I too had to go into the police station one evening about 8pm for a fender bender, low and behold, not one person around. I rang the bell and ten minutes later someone came out. I was thankful someone showed up, felt vulnerable in the police station.....Lyons can find money for lights and lighting on the baseball fields and parks, how about finding money to man the window at night?
Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

JLS wrote:
<quoted text>
Just remember, federal grants are our taxes and with the feds cutting and sequestration, I don't count on anything much less the feds.

``KEEP THEM SAFE`` forget the rest of the jargon, some of us have
very long memories.
She Back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 16, 2012

Francine wrote:
<quoted text>
``KEEP THEM SAFE`` forget the rest of the jargon, some of us have
very long memories.
Seems to me SD 103 is walking the walk on "Keep Them Safe".

Review of an established management program, such as security, does NOT require a federal grant or outside firm or consultant to identify deficiencies or opportunites for improvement, if the school administration and Board of Trustees are up to snuff and serious about performing their duties. If implementation of OFIs or action to correct deficiencies requires resources beyond what is available, then the community must decide priorities.
Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Did the 7 million dollars of new money for the
cafeteria and lockers, include security cameras
for every "Entry..Exit" door in ALL of our schools.

Simple yes or No....... NO SPECULATION

She Back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Francine wrote:
All security cameras would accomplish is assist in identifying a perpetrator after the fact.(And generate a lot of $$$ for those supplying, installing and maintaining them.)

Are you willing to raise your taxes to pay for real time monitoring whenever schools are in session or otherwise occupied...and even then, common sense tells me that locked doors and controlled point or points of entry are much more effective measures against allowing unauthorized persons to access school premises than installing cameras at every entry/exit door in every building.
She Back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

Judged:

Interesting discussion in Sun Times article - by security experts - on changes needed/potentially implemented after Sandy Hook. Mentions Illinois requirements already in placve for lockdown/crisis drills, etc.

http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/Info...
She Back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 17, 2012

She Back wrote:
Interesting discussion in Sun Times article - by security experts - on changes needed/potentially implemented after Sandy Hook. Mentions Illinois requirements already in placve for lockdown/crisis drills, etc.
http://infoweb.newsbank.com/iw-search/we/Info...
Apologize, link will not work. Won't copy, either. Article is by Dan Mihalopoulos in Sunday's Sun Times, entitled "For School Security, This Is A Game Changer". Can be accessed (if you have a library card) via the Lyons Library Website Newsbank database.
JLS

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Francine wrote:
I never speculate. Does it make a difference? The cameras were already in place, have been in for years. Every K-5 school has a camera at the main entrance as well as security lobby with locked/buzz in doors. These security measures have been in 103 for years.
JLS

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

The middle school not only has cameras at the entry doors, they have a secure entry lobby, buzz in system, cameras in the halls and surrounding the building on the outside. We are adding cameras to the caf and new wing.
Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

I don't believe I addressed these issues to you, you do have a right to answer..but, please refrain from stating on the internet
where our cameras are located....for the entire world to see.Not a wise move. This information should be discussed in a public meeting and in news letters to the parents..not for the world to
read !

Tell us about the shabby camera system that was in place when
the backhoe was stolen this past summer. The rest of the incidents
will be left closed at this time.

103 years ago...now that takes the cake !

Francine

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

On second thought..I stand corrected,security measures should not be placed in news letters or discussed openly at meetings...We need assurance that we do have sophisticated equipment in place.

Personally, I believe we need a security officer
in each school..

And if we need to pay more taxes for "safety"....so be it.
Who is JLS

Chicago, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 18, 2012

Judged:

JLS should not be posting any information on this blog or any other blogs - as a teacher or employee of that district (whatever you are) you should be worried about doing your job and not telling everyone what the school has/doesn't have...! This is an example on how "Evil" finds the information they need to cause harm. As a parent of a 103 child, I have no problem supporting or paying for any enhancements to their system in place, as long as it works... As by what I'm reading it sounds like something was stolen from a school - that's unacceptable in this day and age!
She Back

Wessington Springs, SD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Now, time for "da judge" to dust off the "clueless" and "off topic" icons!

Tonight at 6:45 PM at the Village Hall the required Public Hearing for the Budget Ordinace for 2012 will be held.(Yeah, I know it's December already, but what the hey).

Afterward, at the Board meeting immediately following, rumor has it that the Village Board will be voting on whether to approve obtaining a credit line of $750,000. A few questions immediately come to mind...like, why more debt if the Village is doing so well financially now? How will payments impact property taxes in future (in other words, what revenue stream/streams will be tapped to service this new, additional debt? What interest rate and what services fees/cost of issuance are we talking about here? Who is the lender? Are we doing a search to ensure that the VOL obtains the most competitive terms and there are no potential conflicts that might require a hasty refi in the future? Is this included in legal debt calculations...or does it fall off the map as the $11M or so of private installment contracts appear to have?

Quick, get out those lemons and dim bulbs here!
Assume this

Forest Park, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Backhoe theft was captured on camera, but since
the equipment was so shoddy and cheap, they were
not able to obtain a clear shot of the burglar or
license plate..

Children were out for summer vacation.
HUM

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Francine wrote:
I don't believe I addressed these issues to you, you do have a right to answer..but, please refrain from stating on the internet
where our cameras are located....for the entire world to see.Not a wise move. This information should be discussed in a public meeting and in news letters to the parents..not for the world to
read !
Tell us about the shabby camera system that was in place when
the backhoe was stolen this past summer. The rest of the incidents
will be left closed at this time.
103 years ago...now that takes the cake !
Now I know you've lost your mind! What do you want? If you've been concerned for 33 years, why didn't you do something about it like run for office? To say for someone not to write it here is stupid since the building are marked and the cameras are are in sight. The parents were told about the security measures years ago and kept updated over the years. Parents and kids should know 103 does everything to help keep their kids safe. As far as the backhoe goes, perhaps you should get the contractors email address, it was his liability. If you think the cameras at the middle school are shabby, perhaps you could make a donation of a finer system, it would be appreciated.
HUM

Riverside, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 19, 2012

Francine wrote:
On second thought..I stand corrected,security measures should not be placed in news letters or discussed openly at meetings...We need assurance that we do have sophisticated equipment in place.
Personally, I believe we need a security officer
in each school..
And if we need to pay more taxes for "safety"....so be it.
Please see the superintendent to make the donation of a security officer. Do you suggest one at every door that the kids use or only at the front entrance. In any case, 103 will be more than happy to accept your donation of an officer at each building.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 5,901 - 5,920 of8,166
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent River Forest Discussions

Search the River Forest Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Emmanuel Dominguez missing?! (Nov '13) 1 hr they know 1,127
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr Terry rigsby 48,814
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 1 hr Red Jackal 1,850
All of Berwyn is now a restricted safe school z... (May '11) 10 hr Unhappy in Chicagoland 39
Big changes in store for Seguin Garden and Gifts! 10 hr State of Illinois 5
Hillside Academy more like jail than school (May '07) 10 hr charles m niemiec 179
Berwyn Police (Aug '12) 19 hr Arthur Treacher 31
•••
•••
•••
River Forest Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

River Forest Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••