What concerns you most living in Berwyn?

What concerns you most living in Berwyn?

Created by Speakin da trut on Feb 26, 2008

121 votes

Click on an option to vote

Schools

Development

Crime

Politics

Demographics

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
rico

Chicago, IL

#102 Feb 22, 2013
politics wrote:
nothing
honey?
Justice

Niles, IL

#103 Jul 2, 2013
Aztek wrote:
La Grange, IL -
A quarrel between neighbors ended in the arrest of a man who was carrying a stun gun Sunday .
Police said 59-year-old Dennis G. Knepple of La Grange, threatened his neighbor during an argument over tree branches that fell into Knepple’s backyard from the neighbor’s tree.
The neighbor called police based on the fact that he knew Knepple carried a stun gun.
Police said Knepple became belligerent during questioning and the stun gun was found when he was ordered to empty his pockets.
He was arrested for assault and disorderly conduct.
I think La Grange is turning ghetto! Even if a girl looks 18 doesn't mean they are! Like the Officers say, "doing a 16 year old will make you do 20 to 30!!
Knepple is a piece of garbage. When I was in high school he attacked me after driving belligerently drunk while standing outside of a friends house. This guy is well known in the area for being a drunk and for beating his kids. This man needs to go to prison and stay in prison. He needs to get a shank in the side and bleed out. This man is complete trash.
Diane Navarrete

Berwyn, IL

#104 Aug 24, 2013
I have been here over thirty years and has seen the drastic change in Berwyn ......I am glad my children have already graduated from Morton west( it used to be a great school) and got married and are gone........I see my neighbors with two or more families living in the bungalows , it used to be a single family homes,but now I guess they are not enforcing that anymore ......one house and five cars parked on the street. We have neighbors playing Mexican (live) loud music on weekends and no one seems to be complaining because it goes on all night....that section 8 has gotten lots of black folks in Berwyn and believe me they are not the people you would like to have as neighbors....my husband and I are senior citizens and its too bad Berwyn it changed for the worse.
Angry Dad

Chicago, IL

#105 Aug 25, 2013
This issue of section 8'ers in Berwyn stems from the Shaughnessy adminstration. Back in the early part of the last decade, the administration had the idiotic idea to post billboards around the area where projects that were being torn down in Chicago to "come live in Berwyn".

Well, a lot of people took them up on the offer and that's at least one of the reasons why you saw this influx of bad apples in community. Plus throw in the fact that the slumlords didn't mind getting that check every month from the government.

The O'Connor administration put a stop to it and decided it was better to post billboards on the northside to entice young professionals to move in (the Lovero administration has kept this policy going as well).

As a result you're seeing a small but steady stream of young professonials, artists and hipsters moving into Berwyn. But again the damage was already done.

The influx of hispanics in Berwyn, imo, stems from the fact that Cicero has been run into the ground by one corrupt administration after another. Berwyn also runs right along the Cermak road corridor which runs east to Little Village.

Little Village has become a more attractive area to professionals and artists over the last several years, thus bumping the poorer population along Cermak all the way to Berwyn.
Arthur Treacher

Evergreen Park, IL

#106 Aug 26, 2013
They gots to go somewhere. And you it!
Berwyn_Old_Timer

Berwyn, IL

#107 Aug 27, 2013
Your history's a little off there daddy. The Shaughnessy administration didn't do any marketing. Too busy getting rich off the taxpayers, mainly Marzullo, to care about things like that, haha! O'Connor, or his people anyway, came up with the marketing idea, which ended up as the billboards you're talking about. They put a few of them in the Chicago ghettos for a short time to avoid appearances that they were targeting white people. I doubt that attracted any ghetto people. They had been coming for a long time before that, probably since the late Shaugnessy era. That's why they had to do a marketing campaign in the first place, because the town was going downhill and they knew it! They also brought the Oak Park housing center in to try to get better renters but the Lovero administration killed that, because they got elected by telling people O'Connor was using it to bring in the coloreds! Berwyn's still racist even all these years later, haha!

Certain realtors in town were putting flyers out in places like Little Village saying come to Berwyn years ago, in the late 1970s or early 80s. They knew Berwyn was getting old and that things were gonna change and saw that market as a way to make easy money. They were pretty much right on I'd say.

Most people don't know it but the Lovero administration is pretty clueless. They have no vision so the town's on cruise control now. O'Connor's was a fat bastard but he had good people around him who were trying to do the right thing. You can hope for Berwyn they stumble into better times, because I doubt you'll see it happen by plan.
rico

Chicago, IL

#108 Dec 11, 2014
Diane Navarrete wrote:
I have been here over thirty years and has seen the drastic change in Berwyn ......I am glad my children have already graduated from Morton west( it used to be a great school) and got married and are gone........I see my neighbors with two or more families living in the bungalows , it used to be a single family homes,but now I guess they are not enforcing that anymore ......one house and five cars parked on the street. We have neighbors playing Mexican (live) loud music on weekends and no one seems to be complaining because it goes on all night....that section 8 has gotten lots of black folks in Berwyn and believe me they are not the people you would like to have as neighbors....my husband and I are senior citizens and its too bad Berwyn it changed for the worse.
I feel your pain.
At least there seems to be hope with all these new places to eat opening .
rico cracker

France

#109 Dec 12, 2014
How fat are you rico? You are obsessed with restaurants. Are you one of those really fat people who have to take like a short bus to leave your section 8 apartment? I bet you are. White as rice and fat as your mother.
rico

Chicago, IL

#110 Dec 13, 2014
Micky Ds' 7 Taco Bell.
That makes me 1/2 black 1/2 Mexican.
Arthur Treacher

Evergreen Park, IL

#111 Dec 15, 2014
Haha good one rico! And thankfully both the Taco Bell and several of the McDs have been rebuilt in Berwyn.
rico

Chicago, IL

#112 Dec 15, 2014
Arthur Treacher wrote:
Haha good one rico! And thankfully both the Taco Bell and several of the McDs have been rebuilt in Berwyn.
The Mc D on Ogden is 4stars!
Nice place.
The McD at Harlem & 22nd sucks the big one!
Crap managers !
zero stars.
Arthur Treacher

Evergreen Park, IL

#113 Dec 16, 2014
Mmmmmm, 4 star dining in Berwyn. I may head up there.
rico

Chicago, IL

#114 Dec 17, 2014
Arthur Treacher wrote:
Mmmmmm, 4 star dining in Berwyn. I may head up there.
It looks really nice at the Ogden location with t.v.s and the management is really good and care for the customer unlike the Harlem & 22nd.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News American Escrow: Illinois attorney general prob... (Mar '09) 4 hr achmad karma 328
Are we living in Melrose Park or Mexico?? (Apr '10) 5 hr Paisan 528
Cops - adult bookstores - the Truth (May '09) 5 hr Breanna 25
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 10 hr Compassion Throug... 10,267
Original Melrose Parkers, not Taylor Street des... (Sep '15) 13 hr Anzi134 24
Italian element ruined melrose park 14 hr ByebyeMP 15
Taste of Melrose park Sat Do the Right Thing 23

River Forest Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

River Forest Mortgages