Foxes settle in Mt. Prospect neighbor...

Foxes settle in Mt. Prospect neighborhood

There are 13 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Apr 16, 2008, titled Foxes settle in Mt. Prospect neighborhood. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

Residents on a quiet Mt. Prospect street usually were happy to welcome new arrivals - until an extended family of 13 foxes moved in.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

reality

Glen Ellyn, IL

#1 Apr 16, 2008
I had foxes living in my backyard for 2 years about 5 years ago. They made a lot less mess than some neighbors dogs do. They'd play & sun in the yard. They's even walk up on the deck and look in the window. They were replaced by coyotes for the next few years. The coyotes were no problem. They even used the front steps to get to the back yard. The cougar would be another story, but foxes and coyotes don't hurt anything.
Jeff R

Kaukauna, WI

#2 Apr 16, 2008
Doesn't matter if they are considered dangerous or not. Put the Chicago police on the case. They have recent experience with wild animals.
apollo

Beecher City, IL

#5 Apr 16, 2008
Geneva, IL has had foxes living in town for many years. They are loved by everyone who lives there. I lived there for ten years and enjoyed having them in my neighborhood and yard. Never caused any trouble.
John Q Public

Portland, OR

#6 Apr 16, 2008
Sounds like a plan for the rabbit problem in Grant Park. Hang out a sign that says "Welcome Foxes".
zermatt

Schaumburg, IL

#7 Apr 16, 2008
We had a fox in our neighborhood a couple of years back and our rabbit and squirrel problems went away. Someone in the neighborhood called animal control and the dastardly squirrels and rabbits came back.

I miss our squirrel and rabbit enforcement officer.
Lowbass

Chicago, IL

#9 Apr 17, 2008
First a "cougar" in Wilmette, now "foxes" in Mt. Prospect. Now that we're given a choice, I'm leaning towards the 'burbs...
Lowbass

Chicago, IL

#10 Apr 17, 2008
That should have read "western" burbs!
concerned

United States

#11 Apr 17, 2008
My sister, in Joliet, has had a mother with 8 little ones in her back yard for a couple of months now. They enjoy watching them. They have taken a lot of pictures. They live on a corner lot and people walk by and stop to watch the foxes. They haven't caused a problem in my sisters neighborhood, except for the hole dug under her shed.
Heinie

Elmhurst, IL

#12 Apr 17, 2008
Wait untill the first pet or baby is attacked. The "cuteness" will disapear and the foxes will be relocated.
olechicagoan

Onalaska, WI

#15 Apr 17, 2008
Just call the city boys in blue. They are experts in wild animal control. They'll just send a few boys and a truck load of ammo and corner them in the yard. The rest of the story will mimic the cougar slaughter.
Sandy S

Glendale Heights, IL

#16 Apr 17, 2008
I am pretty let down that this article appears so negative. I have received numerous calls and emails asking why I hate the foxes so much. It was even quoted on the radio this morning, I was told. Every time I spoke with Ms. Ortiz, she was very positive and enthusiastic about the animals and the story. Perhaps the issue with the Chicago cougar killing made her take this negative angle? This article makes it sound like I am annoyed with the foxes and I want them out, which is not the case. I have seen lots of animals in my yard before. If I had known that this article would be so negative, I would not have agreed to be interviewed for it, nor would I have spent so much of my time sending and sharing information I researched on red foxes. I certainly don't like to pick up their carnage, and yes, we need to watch our kids and dogs, but in no way do I want the foxes harmed, and I'm not rallying the neighbors to have them removed. I was responding to 'what if they bit someone' and 'what is it like picking up dead bones and flesh'- questions that Ms. Ortiz was asking. We also never discussed the 'trying of patience' nor 'trashing the neighborhood'- clever quips, by the way. My family and neighbors love watching them play and we like that they are helping to keep the rabbit population in check. They have several dens in this neighborhood (as foxes do) and when they are here, they are so fun to watch. The Trib certainly has every right to angle a story to grab readers' attention however they see fit, however, please know my intent was to share a cute photo of the fox family, share that nature is alive and well in the burbs, and share information about foxes and their behaviors, not to be portrayed as Elmer Fudd. I'll know better next time...
Joshua

San Jose, CA

#17 Apr 18, 2008
Cougars and Foxes and Stroger...Oh my!
Earl

Pekin, IL

#18 Aug 23, 2008
Ive lived in M pee for like 4 years now and the only time I saw a fox was just yesterday night it was just walking across the street to hide from people, and I havent seen a coyote but a friend and I heard on once.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gone but not forgotten (May '09) 19 min ECMJR 704
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 5 hr Gop Ignorance is ... 8,796
Redundancy from WILDBILL 6 hr Rose 3
News I'm mad -- I got Berwyn's $100 camera traffic t... (Feb '12) 22 hr Buckybottomlayer 35
Moving Out of Berwyn Thu Disappointed 3
Section 8 is sending Berwyn to hell. Thu Disappointed 1
bond forfeiture Greg Salvi (Jul '15) Thu True facts 112
More from around the web

Personal Finance

River Forest Mortgages