Thunderstorms, snowmelt cause flooding in regions that have alr...

Just past the massive bin holding the ruins of Steve Furlan's condo from the last time the Des Plaines River flooded, the water was rising again. Full Story
Alexander Dumass

Carpentersville, IL

#1 Dec 28, 2008
Apologies to current residents, but after looking at a map, it is my considered opinion that one would have to be bat-guano crazy to live on Big Bend Drive in Des Plaines.
Padre Queso

Hollywood, FL

#2 Dec 28, 2008
Just god's revenge on Chicagoland for electing Dum b o crats over and over again . Bring on the locasts
Truth be told

Des Plaines, IL

#3 Dec 28, 2008
The irony here is that there has been a massive project underway the last two years to control flooding of the Des Plaines River. I've only lived here for 3+ years and this will be our third "50 year" flood.
anon

Northbrook, IL

#4 Dec 28, 2008
I understand infrastructure imporvements are needed in many areas that have experienced flooding, my town of Park Ridge included. I was killed during the September floods.

Having said that, I do not know how you fix this to everyone's satisfaction and within a financial construct that people would be willing to pay for.

When you get HUGE amounts of rain in a short time (September) or huge snowmelts and rain combined with an ice filled river, you are going to get flooding.

I was no happier about 3 + feet of water in my basement than anyone else, but I cannot even imagine what it would cost to build a system that would be capible of handling that kind of storm with zero flooding.
jhk

Dekalb, IL

#5 Dec 28, 2008
Most of us can only imagine what many of these "veterans" who deal with yearly flood problems along the Des Plaines River. It is a shame that those who have contributed to this problem year after year now have not been called out. City, county, and state government have let things get out of control. The federal government through its Army Corps of Engineers have looked the other way with regards to much of the development along this and many other rivers in this state.

What was once an abnormal occurrence is now becoming standard practice for many, a ritual of sorts. Once every ten years to five years to every year and now potentially 2 or more a year is just completely out of hand. Development is the cause and due to greediness on many of our local government entities, the result is what these property owners have to deal with everytime the water rolls over the river banks.

Retention and detention ponds have not been built as prescribed. Whether the right size used up to much costly land, was cost prohibited to the project, or there just wasn't enough land to build a pond, many of these developments were given the green light to go. This could be anything from schools, churches, housing subdivisions, gas stations, banks, strip malls etc., but nevertheless, many were built and proper retention was waived. This didn't happen in just one or two cities or counties. It has happened in every community that contributes to the Des Plaines River and now what is to be done?

All I know is that there are many homeowners today very nervous about what they are to do if water invades their home again especially after just finishing up with the September turmoil. Major work needs to be done immediately because the problem is only getting worse and to think that we are only into winter by 2 weeks.

Something has to be done, maybe Senator Durbin, unfortunately our only Senator at this time due to the horrific government we have in place in Illinois at this time, can propose a bill to stop all development that affects the Des Plaines River until the water runoff issue is resolved. This problem will only continue to worsen month by month, something must be done and now.
Living upstream

Highland Park, IL

#6 Dec 28, 2008
In my community in Lake County, any developer who builds near the river has to put in all kinds of retention basins. One a few years ago, a Byerly's along Rt. 41 in Highland Park, made their retention basin 25% larger than required by code, and it still fills up. In the north burbs, we pay the price in land set asides for wacko developments like Big Bend Drive in Des Plaines, where folks live on a flood plain that juts into the path of the river. Those homes should never have been built.
Shamus

Lake In The Hills, IL

#7 Dec 28, 2008
All the amenities that go with living by the river carry risks. When you live in a flood plain you're going to get flooded from time to time.
jhk

Dekalb, IL

#8 Dec 28, 2008
Living upstream wrote:
In my community in Lake County, any developer who builds near the river has to put in all kinds of retention basins. One a few years ago, a Byerly's along Rt. 41 in Highland Park, made their retention basin 25% larger than required by code, and it still fills up. In the north burbs, we pay the price in land set asides for wacko developments like Big Bend Drive in Des Plaines, where folks live on a flood plain that juts into the path of the river. Those homes should never have been built.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. Follow the Des Plaines River and see how many projects are now built in what was and still for all practical purposes FLOOD PLAIN. Irresponsible developers, city planners, and city villages and councils for allowing these to be built and good people unknowingly in most cases buying these homes and businesses. Maybe this IS part of the problem of how business/politics is done in this state.
Living upstream

Highland Park, IL

#9 Dec 28, 2008
I don't know what map you are looking at, but on my map, much of the land within at least 1000 yards of the DesPlaines river north of Lake Cook Rd. in Ill. is forest preserve land, paid for by assessments on homeowner property tax bills. Every time land comes up for sale along the Des Plaines, our forest preserve district asks for money to buy it and set it aside, and usually Lake County residents vote in favor.
In Highland Park, some land is developed near rivers, but nowhere near the density that is customary in the city.
We have building codes that set aside a lot of land for water retention capacity. If they followed the same standards downstream, they wouldn't have such severe flooding. I don't recall ever seeing retention ponds in the city or inner ring suburbs.
Developments like Big Bend in DesPlaines are lovely, but every few years they are just destined to flood. The only way people can continue to live there, I guess, is because they have taxpayer-subsidized flood insurance that keeps paying them to rebuild.
Alexander Dumass

Carpentersville, IL

#10 Dec 28, 2008
Living upstream wrote:
Developments like Big Bend in DesPlaines are lovely, but every few years they are just destined to flood. The only way people can continue to live there, I guess, is because they have taxpayer-subsidized flood insurance that keeps paying them to rebuild.
Please forgive my naivete, but I had no idea flood insurance was taxpayer-subsidized. Whoa, if's that's the case, that is so wrong.
Darkwater

Mount Prospect, IL

#11 Dec 29, 2008
When putting up a sandbag wall read the instructions. The people in the picture are doing it wrong. The bags are way to full. They should be stacked paralle to the water. If no instruction try this:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/safety/ae62...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

River Forest Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 26 min Blwlgo 1,928
IL Who do you support for Lieutenant Governor in I... (Oct '10) 40 min Weneedchange 154
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr KiMare 49,841
Babe Serpico Statue of Felons 1 hr Taxpayer for years 3
Scavo soon to be back on the loose (Oct '13) 1 hr the Lover 12
Wildbills Lover 2 hr the Lover 1
Corruption in Elmwood Park (Jul '11) 2 hr the queen 13
•••
•••
•••

River Forest Jobs

•••
•••
•••

River Forest People Search