#1 Nov 30, 2012
Destroy the dog
Fine the owner
Ban them from owning or keeping any Molosser type dogs
Make the owner pay all medical costs.

Monticello Neigbhorhood Wounded After Pit Bull Attacks 5-year-old Girl
By: Marci Manley, KARK 4 News
Updated: November 29, 2012

Emotions have been running high in the Sherwood Forest subdivision in Monticello after a five-year-old girl was attacked by a pit bull next door.

"I'm sad and scared," said Lajovian Ware.

Ware's sister, five-year-old Mimi, was bitten by the pitbull that lives next door as she was walking to her school bus stop on Wednesday morning.

"Her whole leg was bleeding," Ware said. "All I could do was yell at my mom that the dog was eating her."

The dog broke her ankle before another neighbor from across the street and the girl's mother were able to get the dog to release the little girl. She's undergone surgery and is recovering at Arkansas Children's Hospital.

"This could be a very tragic event," said Bishop Sam Wherry.

Wherry's grandchildren live in the subdivision, and he's beginning to fear for their safety.

"I have a grandson that lives two doors up and this same animal tried to attack he and his mom," Wherry said. "These dogs aren't in fences. They're just on chains.They get loose, and all of a sudden you have a child mauled."

He believes federal regulations restrict breeds like pit bulls from even being on the premises.

"I remember looking through the subdivision guidelines. No, dogs cannot be here," he said.

These houses were funded with subsidies through the Farmer's Home Program, which eventually became the Rural Development program under the USDA's direction.

But officials could say for sure whether there were or still are restrictions for pets.

"We need help in trying to solve this before these innocent children become injured," Wherry said.

Monticello does have a vicious dog ordinance requiring aggressive breeds to be chained up or fenced in.

The owners of the animal involved in the attack declined to speak to KARK on camera. However, they say the animal was chained up the entire time. They hope for a speedy recovery for the child, but insist they weren't negligent.

The girl and eyewitnesses, however, say the dog was roaming free around the neighborhood when the attack occurred.

"She said the dog had dragged her out the road and started to bite her on the leg," Ware said.

Either way, a small child remains severely injured, leaving deep wounds in her neighborhood as well.

Police are investigating the timeline of events. The police report notes officers found the animal chained to a boat in the back yard after receiving the call, and that the animal was growling at them.

The dog was removed from the property and is required to remain in quarantine for at least 10 days. They are also investigating allegations that this dog has attacked other children in the subdivision prior to this event

Pitbull Lover

United States

#2 Nov 30, 2012
Im so sad to hear about this little girl and ber family i cant imagine something like that happening to my daughter.. The dog should be put down, the owner should have to pay all fines, medical bills, etc... BUT do NOT blame the breed my daughter has a PitBull and he has never attempted to harm her shes had him since she was 2 and she is now 4 and her Pitbull is.a true bestfriend... People really irritate me when they want to scream kill the breed!! There is an ongoin investiagtion on weather or not the dog was chained.. Either way PUNISH THE DEAD NOT THE BREED!!
Pitbull Lover

United States

#3 Nov 30, 2012
Im so sad to hear about this little girl and ber family i cant imagine something like that happening to my daughter.. The dog should be put down, the owner should have to pay all fines, medical bills, etc... BUT do NOT blame the breed my daughter has a PitBull and he has never attempted to harm her shes had him since she was 2 and she is now 4 and her Pitbull is a true bestfriend... People really irritate me when they want to scream kill the breed!! There is an ongoin investiagtion on weather or not the dog was chained.. Either way PUNISH THE DEED NOT THE BREED!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Mike Tadlock 17 hr Ginger 1
Ashley Ethridge-Pruitt Nov 15 Justcurious17 1
Boys Training School at Pine Bluff (May '11) Nov 9 Fdmdsm 47
Fordyce Music Thread (Jan '15) Nov 6 Musikologist 5
Kristen Benefield Goad Oct 31 Decent person 4
Gary Moon Oct 28 ???? 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arkansas (... (Oct '10) Jan '17 Rockie 69

Rison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rison Mortgages