Walgreens Buying Pine Bluff-based USA...

Walgreens Buying Pine Bluff-based USA Drug Store Chain

There are 23 comments on the ArkansasMatters story from Jul 5, 2012, titled Walgreens Buying Pine Bluff-based USA Drug Store Chain. In it, ArkansasMatters reports that:

A Pine Bluff-based drug store chain is being bought by Walgreens. Walgreen Co. announced today that it has entered into an agreement to buy 144 stores currently operated under the USA Drug, Super D Drug, May's Drug, Med-X and Drug Warehouse stores located in Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, New Jersey, Oklahoma and Tennessee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at ArkansasMatters.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
heather

United States

#1 Jul 5, 2012
what happens to the workers of usa drug?
Nick

United States

#2 Jul 5, 2012
http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.aspx...

This article has a statement to employees of the 144 stores. Store closings, lay offs with severance pay. I bet those employees love Wag about now.
Nicodemus

Ardsley, NY

#3 Jul 5, 2012
Who knows Riteaid may still be a target!
Imagine that!
Now the question is would a buy on Riteaid be worth a checkmate move on express scripts?
I know the dept Riteaid has is just ridicoulous however considering the following I really don't know!
1. Affordable care act
2. World wide distribution
3. Good credit rating
What do you think? From a business point of view!
letsbehonest

Lake Saint Louis, MO

#4 Jul 5, 2012
What happens to USA Drug's ESI contract once the acquisition is complete?

Is it terminated immediately? Or does it continue under the terms that we agreed to when USA Drug signed the contract?

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

#5 Jul 5, 2012
letsbehonest wrote:
What happens to USA Drug's ESI contract once the acquisition is complete?
Is it terminated immediately? Or does it continue under the terms that we agreed to when USA Drug signed the contract?
I wondered about this myself.

Here is a paragraph from the article:

"The acquired drugstores will continue in the near term to operate under their current brand names after the transaction closes, and decisions will be made over time regarding the best, most effective way to harmonize Walgreens and the acquired brands."

So, when are they going to tell customers that they have been sold to Walgreens? Are they afraid the customers won't stay?

On another topic, I thought we were going to expand in China with Alliance Boots according to an article I read and referenced in the "UK articles on Alliance Boots" discussion thread last Tuesday and now we spend $438 million on more drugstores in the US? I just don't get it. Whatever is going on, I will not understand by reading current articles. Nobody is helping me make sure I take care of the existing customers that I DO have and that STILL come into the store in spite of everything.
Melea

Conway, AR

#6 Jul 5, 2012
What can I say. I am extremely upset with the decision to sell USA Drug to Walgreens. The pharmacists at my USA Drug store in North Little Rock are the best pharmacists I have ever dealt with. They go above and beyond to help out whenever needed and I almost never have to wait more than 15 min. I have never had a good experience at Walgreens. Not many people do. You never get to talk to a pharmacist and I have had to wait 5 hours before for a prescription to be filled. That is insane. Congrats for the lafrance family to sell your company, but everyone wishes that you would have chosen a different company to sell to. If walgreens is smart, they would keep all the USA drug stores open with the same staff. That is the only way they are going to keep the USA drug customers to continue using them to fill their scripts.
Buck Walgreen

Tonawanda, NY

#7 Jul 5, 2012
We don't like you very much either Melea.

Since: Jan 12

Fairfield, CA

#8 Jul 5, 2012
Acquisitions like mad at the last minute? Rebranding items? Changing the structure to industry standards? Cutting off our maintenance Departments? Im sorry to say this, but companies with this type of history usually end with setting themselves up for a huge buyout. Who will buy WAG?
walgreen loyal

Chicago, IL

#9 Jul 5, 2012
Melea wrote:
What can I say. I am extremely upset with the decision to sell USA Drug to Walgreens. The pharmacists at my USA Drug store in North Little Rock are the best pharmacists I have ever dealt with. They go above and beyond to help out whenever needed and I almost never have to wait more than 15 min. I have never had a good experience at Walgreens. Not many people do. You never get to talk to a pharmacist and I have had to wait 5 hours before for a prescription to be filled. That is insane. Congrats for the lafrance family to sell your company, but everyone wishes that you would have chosen a different company to sell to. If walgreens is smart, they would keep all the USA drug stores open with the same staff. That is the only way they are going to keep the USA drug customers to continue using them to fill their scripts.
haha, wags will destroy these stores as well, so get over it, death to mom and pops rx's--the evil dark lords have spoken--seriously why do people need their scripts filled so fast--call it in-pick it up later--if we didnt make you slackjaws wait for your scripts, you wouldnt be able to decide if you want the yoga garden frogs or that crazy stretched out garden frog that looks like it is posing for some frog pron magazine.....yeeeehaaawwwwwwww wwwwww!!
Nick

United States

#10 Jul 5, 2012
wagslavefornow wrote:
<quoted text>
I wondered about this myself.
Here is a paragraph from the article:
"The acquired drugstores will continue in the near term to operate under their current brand names after the transaction closes, and decisions will be made over time regarding the best, most effective way to harmonize Walgreens and the acquired brands."
So, when are they going to tell customers that they have been sold to Walgreens? Are they afraid the customers won't stay?
On another topic, I thought we were going to expand in China with Alliance Boots according to an article I read and referenced in the "UK articles on Alliance Boots" discussion thread last Tuesday and now we spend $438 million on more drugstores in the US? I just don't get it. Whatever is going on, I will not understand by reading current articles. Nobody is helping me make sure I take care of the existing customers that I DO have and that STILL come into the store in spite of everything.
They are trying to make the front end sales more private brand. Meaning, they can make more profit. They won't need as many customers to make a higher gross. All the acquisitions, starting with DR, have one thing in common...their own private brand line. They lost customers through ESI and the way it sounds more from Medco. They are trying for a higher gross per sale rather than a lower gross with more sales. Of course, this all means justification for hour cuts due to less customers.
wagrph

Cordova, TN

#11 Jul 6, 2012
When walgreens purchased Super D and Ike's stores in Memphis in 2010, those pharmacists and technicians were transferred into the walgreens stores already in existence and other pharmacists had to give up their set positions to accomodate the Super D pharmacists. Then if the transferred pharmacist had worked 25 years, they were then given 25 years seniority status over a walgreen's pharmacist who started with the company years ago. We lost many of those Super d/Ikes customers to Kroger, Cvs, etc. and one Ike store left is just filling around 90 scripts daily. The market is already saturated with pharmacists in this area AND what is the point? What we need is to buy a PBM not more buyouts. We would have been more profitable if we had not sold WHI a year ago.

Location hidden

#12 Jul 6, 2012
Some text from http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article...

Stephen LaFrance, who had planned to retire in 60 days, started as a pharmacist with a single USA Drug store in Pine Bluff, Ark., Tim Trainor reports for CoStar Gorup. He expanded from 15 stores in 1997 by buying the much larger Super D, a chain with about 100 stores.

"I opened up on February 26, 1968. I was 26 years old and I made $26 the first day and I thought this is some kind of bad omen," LaFrance tells KATV. "The success that we've had is very simple; it's caring for the customer."

Location hidden

#13 Jul 6, 2012
"Walgreens planning purchase of USA Drug"

Some text from http://www.couriernews.com/view/full_story/19...

(Michael Polzin is a spokesman for Walgreens.)

"Polzin said he did not know if Walgreens would begin accepting customers with military insurance, known as TRICARE, after the purchase of USA Drug is completed.

Walgreens accepted TRICARE insurance until Jan. 1. USA Drug currently accepts the military insurance.

Polzin said he expects USA Drug to continue honoring TRICARE until Sept. 1, but no final decision has been made on whether the stores will continue accepting the insurance after the sale is finalized."
Well screwed

United States

#14 Jul 6, 2012
MGTSF wrote:
Acquisitions like mad at the last minute? Rebranding items? Changing the structure to industry standards? Cutting off our maintenance Departments? Im sorry to say this, but companies with this type of history usually end with setting themselves up for a huge buyout. Who will buy WAG?
To be honest before Walgreens bought boots I thought a buyout was possible. Now that they have bought boots I think takers would be few and far between
lifer

Cape Canaveral, FL

#15 Jul 16, 2012
Just got wind of another blow, 2nd round, even more "team" members will be forced to be part time, including stl, remaining mgts, department heads and so on..... anyone else hear this?

Since: Jan 12

Palo Alto, CA

#16 Jul 17, 2012
lifer wrote:
Just got wind of another blow, 2nd round, even more "team" members will be forced to be part time, including stl, remaining mgts, department heads and so on..... anyone else hear this?
Your statement would fall in line with the FELM packet the SMs received (the same one i made a copy of)

Location hidden

#17 Jul 17, 2012
(I created a new discussion thread on this topic titled "Full-time to part-time?" in case readers miss the questions and comments above and have something they can offer. Hope that is okay.)
tech mom

French Camp, MS

#18 Jul 17, 2012
Anyone been through a transition where Walgreens bout out a small store in a small town we don't know if we are staying in building were in or building if all employees will keep there job and or full-time position? When USA bought us out a few years ago they came in and had a meeting with the whole store to let everyone know what will happen we're all worried and don't know what to except!
tech mom

French Camp, MS

#19 Jul 17, 2012
Thanks
Concerned

Addison, IL

#20 Jul 19, 2012
Honestly, USA Drugs in our community is horrid. The wait for prescriptions is horribly long. I don't like Wal-Mart, but am considering changing to them. I know they take a while too, but could it be that they are a bit more reasonable in prices? Does anyone know? I'd appreciate some advice here.:)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Terri Wallace and James Slaughter (Nov '10) 10 hr lulu 8
Guy's showing their feet on Skype! (Apr '16) Mar 24 matt 2
Entergy Scandals (Jul '16) Mar 22 Johnboy 11
Ulysses gore jr Mar 16 Unique45 1
Christy Simpson Christian (Dec '11) Mar 12 Facts78 4
Chris barnes Mar 1 jacknjill 4
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Arkansas (... (Oct '10) Jan '17 Rockie 69

Rison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rison Mortgages