First Prev
of 2
Next Last
tax payer

Malden, MO

#1 Nov 15, 2009
if the city is so broke then how are they paying for the new work on the city hall, is all that being donated i bet it aint. somebody needs to go to the city meeting and have the minutes put in the paper for all to read or one of the employees could . but they aint going to. if they did that then too much info. would be put out and then we would all know, i would but i work nights and am at work when the meetings are held. some would say just another excuse, hhhhhmmmmmmm
KnowYourFacts

Kennett, MO

#2 Nov 15, 2009
You need to know what you are talking about before inserting your foot. 1) grant money is paying for the work at city hall 2) to put anything in the newspaper regardless if an individual or company or city it cost money 3) if you want to know something since you work nights then go to city hall during the day and ASK QUESTIONS. Both the ladies that work in there can answer your questions. Or furthermore, that is why we have alderman/alderpeople to ask. That is why they are elected my us, to inform and answer questions. I am not employed by this city and am not an alderman. And furthermore, you could not give me the position for one reasone PEOPLE BITCH TOO MUCH, the ones that never help, always sit back either in public or on the internet and do exactly what they are best at COMPLAINING. Famous for ALL TALK AND NO DOING. There is no way regardless of where you live or work at that everyone will approve and agree with everything.
taxpayer too

Farmington, MO

#3 Nov 15, 2009
:) Its like anything else. If you don't put money into property it starts to fall apart. They haven't done anything to the outside in years and it was flaking off I like the brick. I hope they just paint the brick and leave the stucko off.
Actually

Festus, MO

#4 Nov 16, 2009
It's being replaced with vinyl siding.
heck

Piggott, AR

#5 Nov 20, 2009
we can't get grant money for the park and the city is getting a high dollar makeover....wow that is crazy
Heck 1

Fredericktown, MO

#6 Nov 20, 2009
The building has to be kept up. Maintenance is cheaper than having to build a new one at some point. As for the park, I don't see a lot of people using the park even if it were fixed up.
heck

Piggott, AR

#7 Nov 20, 2009
How in the heck are you giving your 2cents on "if it were fixed up?"....That makes no sense, if my kid had something to play on we would for sure go up their. Well I have never seen anything wrong with the windows and doors...but they replaced thoes....Also why do they have to put up siding, why not just paint the brick...that would work just fine....Risco is so stupid!!!
Heck 1

United States

#8 Nov 20, 2009
Now you do have a point there. Paint would be good enough. However, it is my opinion, and like a..holes everybody has one, that the park is a waste of money as well. I have never seen the park used that much now or in years past. I think it would be far better to invest in a place where kids of all ages could take advantage of it and have something to do and somewhere to go. What happened to churches, citizens, and community groups helping to better the parks. If you, me and every other citizen would pitch in we could fix the park. Problem is everybody wants something done as long as they don't have to do it. Then there is the fact that why would they put out the money on the park if the school is going down hill every year and when the school is gone this town will have nothing to offer families with children. Thus, the population will become even smaller as people move away. Smaller population..fewer taxes. Fewer taxes...higher water bills etc. Vicious cycle that probably won't end in our life time. Instead Risco will go as other small towns around have gone. Just a hole in the road to pass through on your way to a bigger town with more to offer. Sorry if this sounds depressing but this is reality. That doesn't mean we have to like it but not a lot that can be done about it at this late date.
Heck 1

United States

#9 Nov 20, 2009
And for what it's worth the way things are nowadays buy your kids a swing set where they can play at home in their own yard. Listen to the news. It's not safe to let your kids go off to play anywhere these days. This too is a sad fact that isn't going to change,
heck

Piggott, AR

#10 Nov 21, 2009
Well I do stay with my kids anywhere they want to go....We drive to the malden park all of the time, and they have a blast...We have picnic's at the park in malden, and even BBQ there sometimes. I love the malden park it is so nice and my children, nieces, and nephews do too....I think they should just get it over with and shut the school down....It is bound to happen sometime so just get it over with so the kids can go to a real school somewhere without having to pay the high tuition cost.....Risco sucks and by the way Risco is already "Just a hole in the road to pass through on your way to a bigger town with more to offer." LoL
UR Wrong

United States

#11 Nov 21, 2009
KnowYourFacts wrote:
You need to know what you are talking about before inserting your foot. 1) grant money is paying for the work at city hall 2) to put anything in the newspaper regardless if an individual or company or city it cost money 3) if you want to know something since you work nights then go to city hall during the day and ASK QUESTIONS. Both the ladies that work in there can answer your questions. Or furthermore, that is why we have alderman/alderpeople to ask. That is why they are elected my us, to inform and answer questions. I am not employed by this city and am not an alderman. And furthermore, you could not give me the position for one reasone PEOPLE BITCH TOO MUCH, the ones that never help, always sit back either in public or on the internet and do exactly what they are best at COMPLAINING. Famous for ALL TALK AND NO DOING. There is no way regardless of where you live or work at that everyone will approve and agree with everything.
The Malden newspaper will print the minutes of the city meetings at no cost to us. All our city clerk has to do is submit them to whatever the papers deadline is. Very simple. Call them if you don't believe me. My assumption is that someone at city hall is too lazy to contact the newspaper or they do like keeping us in the dark.
Heck 1

United States

#12 Nov 21, 2009
heck wrote:
Well I do stay with my kids anywhere they want to go....We drive to the malden park all of the time, and they have a blast...We have picnic's at the park in malden, and even BBQ there sometimes. I love the malden park it is so nice and my children, nieces, and nephews do too....I think they should just get it over with and shut the school down....It is bound to happen sometime so just get it over with so the kids can go to a real school somewhere without having to pay the high tuition cost.....Risco sucks and by the way Risco is already "Just a hole in the road to pass through on your way to a bigger town with more to offer." LoL
You just proved my point. What I stated would happen is already happening. So my only question I have left would be why are you still here since you love Malden and hate Risco. If you are this unhappy a park isn't going to make your world a happier place. So load up the kids and go now where you can be happy and live in a place that provides all you want. Because this small town will never be the place it once was for the reasons I stated in the other post. So the decision is yours to stay or go. If you are happy stay. If you're as miserable as you say then leave for your sake and that of your kids because they deserve a parent who is happy and you clearly aren't. Like I said a park isn't going to fix everything that is making you unhappy.
Heck 1

United States

#13 Nov 21, 2009
By the way I didn't post that to sound hateful telling you to move. It's no ones fault that the town is going down. It is the sign of the times. The decline of the town began years ago and has just kept going just as in other small towns that has met the same fate. When my kids were growing up this little town was thriving. However, a small town does not have the revenue to keep up with the progress that larger towns do. We have never had the population to attract business' to come in. Risco, like any other small town is what it is. Some would think of living no where else. But for those who are unhappy here then find a place where you can be happy. Life is too short to wait around for something to change that isn't going to happen. This is not the citizens of Risco's fault, it isn't the mayor's fault, it isn't the school's fault. It is called progress that a small town such as ours can't keep up with. So with that said it is up to the individual as to what they can live with and still be happy. As for money, the city is just like all of us. Too much work to be done and not enough paycheck to cover it all so they pick what they think is most urgent. The community building brings in a small amount of money and that is where people from other towns come to for public meetings so I suppose that would be why the building gets the work done first. I don't know. Like I said the troubles started years ago and it was no ones fault because they did or didn't do something. This is the way of a small town in rural America. The small thriving home town is a dying breed. That is the sad truth.
For Progress

United States

#14 Nov 21, 2009
Heck 1 wrote:
By the way I didn't post that to sound hateful telling you to move. It's no ones fault that the town is going down. It is the sign of the times. The decline of the town began years ago and has just kept going just as in other small towns that has met the same fate. When my kids were growing up this little town was thriving. However, a small town does not have the revenue to keep up with the progress that larger towns do. We have never had the population to attract business' to come in. Risco, like any other small town is what it is. Some would think of living no where else. But for those who are unhappy here then find a place where you can be happy. Life is too short to wait around for something to change that isn't going to happen. This is not the citizens of Risco's fault, it isn't the mayor's fault, it isn't the school's fault. It is called progress that a small town such as ours can't keep up with. So with that said it is up to the individual as to what they can live with and still be happy. As for money, the city is just like all of us. Too much work to be done and not enough paycheck to cover it all so they pick what they think is most urgent. The community building brings in a small amount of money and that is where people from other towns come to for public meetings so I suppose that would be why the building gets the work done first. I don't know. Like I said the troubles started years ago and it was no ones fault because they did or didn't do something. This is the way of a small town in rural America. The small thriving home town is a dying breed. That is the sad truth.
I agree with your statement to a certain degree. I do however think everyone is responsible to certain point. We the citizens need to be supportive of our school,local government and our local busineses. The city government should be supportive of its citizens[taxpayers] and its local busineses[tax payers and sales tax collectors]. We will never be a large city and most of us don't want to be, but we could still do better than what we are doing now. I am afraid that if things don't change we will continue to lose more of our citizens and busineses to other communities that have more to offer. Then you can kiss our school goodbye. What I'm trying to say is somebody had better step up to the plate and accept reponsibility before we lose it all.
Heck 1

Festus, MO

#15 Nov 21, 2009
You're right. Sadly, this is probably not going to happen since the downfall of small towns in America started years ago. No one stepped up to the plate years ago and probably won't now. It is no one persons fault. That's just the way it is. And unless, as you say, everyone steps up, then the future for this small town looks grim. As in other small towns there are people who complain but don't want to actively or constructively do anything to change things whether it is because they have given up hope or they just don't know what to do. My point is that these problems started back years ago not just with this administration. I would love to see this town restored to what it use to be. Do I believe it will be. Sadly, no. For all the reasons I listed above. I do admire you and all those who keep striving to save it but sometimes we have to face reality. Just as not every person can be saved neither can every small town. If you want a big town life with all it has to offer then your only choice is to move there. If you don't want to move then we need to work with what we have here but be willing to accept our limitations. We do not have nor will we ever have the incentives needed to draw big business and as people move away and children grow up and move away there will be no younger generations here to fill the school.
Pearson

Farmington, MO

#16 Nov 21, 2009
Heck 1 wrote:
Now you do have a point there. Paint would be good enough. However, it is my opinion, and like a..holes everybody has one, that the park is a waste of money as well. I have never seen the park used that much now or in years past. I think it would be far better to invest in a place where kids of all ages could take advantage of it and have something to do and somewhere to go. What happened to churches, citizens, and community groups helping to better the parks. If you, me and every other citizen would pitch in we could fix the park. Problem is everybody wants something done as long as they don't have to do it. Then there is the fact that why would they put out the money on the park if the school is going down hill every year and when the school is gone this town will have nothing to offer families with children. Thus, the population will become even smaller as people move away. Smaller population..fewer taxes. Fewer taxes...higher water bills etc. Vicious cycle that probably won't end in our life time. Instead Risco will go as other small towns around have gone. Just a hole in the road to pass through on your way to a bigger town with more to offer. Sorry if this sounds depressing but this is reality. That doesn't mean we have to like it but not a lot that can be done about it at this late date.
The gen. baptist church did work on the park. they paint the bathrooms and cleaned the park and painted everything in the park.yes it needs some new playground equipment. Have you volunteered yet to do something or just complain on topix. I called and told them if they needed me to help with anything let me know. so call and put your name on the list to help. Bert is looking into what we can do for the park. HE was looking the last time I talked to them about any more grants for playground equipment. Go up their and plant some flowers or bulbs. I havne't seen anyone up their planting or cleaning except the church.
Heck 1

Festus, MO

#17 Nov 21, 2009
You must be talking to the person who came on here as heck after I posted as Heck earlier in the week thus Heck 1 lol They were the ones complaining about the needing a new park instead of the community building needing repaired.
tax payer

Gideon, MO

#18 Nov 21, 2009
i may be wrong about my facts but i think in the early 80's there was a small group of people that built the park and took care of it. each day there was somebody different doing something down there then the city hall burned and they claened it up and built the city hall now as you know it. now there was only about 10 or 12 people doing all of this. now i wasnt personally involved in all of this, but i do know that nobody ever came along and said thank you for all of this nice work that youall are doing. i think that they also brought a carnival in town and helped the senior class that year beacause the seniors didnt have anything going for them. now the seniors thanked them very much for all of their help. but nobody else did for anything that they did, except a few that bitched about having a carnival in town and people having some fun. i also believe that they also had a game room for the kids and they also had christmas basket for the elderly then they got tired of having to do all of this themselfs with no help from anybody else and they stopped, well everything went to hell in a hand basket from then on and this is what we got now. my point is that you had a few that did a lot and people bitched about it and when they quit they still bitched and will go on bitching forever.
Pearson

Farmington, MO

#19 Nov 22, 2009
The building where the city hall is now use to be a gro. store and the Bradshaws bought it and for a short time it was a funeral home and the Bradshaws donated it to the city.
Uh Hello

Columbia, MO

#20 Nov 23, 2009
heck wrote:
we can't get grant money for the park and the city is getting a high dollar makeover....wow that is crazy
Have you tried to get a grant for the park? You act like it is just so easy. You don't have a clue. Grants are a lot of work. My sister used to work for the government so I know about these things. There is a lot of work that goes into getting a grant. Maybe you should check into it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Risco Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rain heavy 16 hr Rally Squirell 3
Hot guy 18 hr Ha 3
Sara Durbin (Apr '15) 22 hr Admiral 8
Garrett Collins Sat Investigator 12
Rednecks Thu Admiral 1
Wanda Glasgow Price (Jan '14) Apr 27 Revive Girl 2
Joe Bostic (May '08) Apr 27 Revive Girl 144

Risco Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Risco Mortgages