First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Never knew

Charleston, WV

#194 Sep 19, 2012
Nobody wrote:
Good job typing that in google, but no. Here at least, you would be at the union's mercy to keep your job afterwards. There's an appeals process of some sort you could probably go through that would keep you out of work probably longer than this strike has been going. More than likely, once you have the reputation of doing something like that, no union will ever hire you again. I just hope they vote for the contract today and the whole mess is done. I think the people who need to worry about any violence at this point would be the ones who vote no.
I did not realize that it is the union who hires. Here all these years I thought it was the company who did the hiring, and then new hires joined the union. Man, cannot believe I had it so wrong...
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#195 Sep 19, 2012
Union is voting today. With that is a paper requesting signatures to place charges against the guys who crossed the picket line so that they may be stripped of all union rights and cannot work in any union ever again. Seriously, you guys are delusional if you think it's just that easy. Just cross the picket line and you'll still have a job when the union settles the contract.
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#196 Sep 19, 2012
Keep in mind too, in order to cross the picket line, you are to fill out a form changing your status with the union from active member to inactive. In order to become an active member again, the union has to approve it. Most of the time, IF they do approve it, you are stripped of all seniority and you are considered a newbie.

And the Union does not do the hiring, but they can kick out members.
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#197 Sep 19, 2012
And with that said, anyone who votes down this contract owes my children my husband's back wages. VOTE YES TODAY!!!
wv

Washington, WV

#198 Sep 19, 2012
Nobody wrote:
Keep in mind too, in order to cross the picket line, you are to fill out a form changing your status with the union from active member to inactive. In order to become an active member again, the union has to approve it. Most of the time, IF they do approve it, you are stripped of all seniority and you are considered a newbie.

And the Union does not do the hiring, but they can kick out members.
Well let's hope you are never in a position that your wife has cancer and you need to work to keep the insurance which covers the treatment helping keep her alive.
You are unbelievable! There's a special place in Hell for people like you.
I hope you are joking

United States

#199 Sep 19, 2012
Never knew wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not realize that it is the union who hires. Here all these years I thought it was the company who did the hiring, and then new hires joined the union. Man, cannot believe I had it so wrong...
I hope you're joking, at the plant the union doesn't hire you or even interview you. The company does and then you have the choice to be union or not, the union might be able to make your life a living hell while you're there but they have no say on whether you work not. They just want people for their dues, they don't really care about any of the members and i think they have went above and beyond to prove that during this strike.
citizen

Ardsley, NY

#200 Sep 19, 2012
They agreed on the contract this evening, the strike is over
2 posts removed
happy day

Springfield, NJ

#203 Sep 19, 2012
So happy for our community that it past. Stop being so greedy take the wages as u get them stop negotiating to not have to pay benefits for the future. Take the great deal the company offered and run with it. Enjoy your wage increase your lump sum payment your low benefit cost a great local job many in JCo hasnt had pay increases no insurance and has never seen bonuses. U do realize u were voting to keep ur job!
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#204 Sep 20, 2012
WV, did I say I think they should be that way? You really don't want me to go to hell because I'll take over and my real reign will begin, and considering that's where you seem to be headed as well, you better hope for your sake I don't end up there. Sheesh. Quick to judge aren't you? I never once said anything that says I agree with the union on it. If you had a brain and read all the posts, you would realize the context is that my husband has no choice but to be on strike because of that and I hope the strike ends, Thank God it did, because obviously crossing the picket line is not an option here. Thank God you are not God to where you can actually send people to hell because you would surely suck and spit at that job. If you are the one who crossed the picket line with the wife with cancer, I was going to stand up for you with the union but now you are on your own. To add to the irony of the insult, you know they did end up getting insurance coverage for things like chemo treatments... You didn't have to cross the picket line. But if they do let you stay, just be happy they removed the medical necessity BS from the contract for people like you. I'm sure there is a special place in hell for me because I AM THE ONE, NOT YOU, I AM THE ONE who just went without my healthcare and MY CHILDREN, not you, just went without their healthcare, all the pay checks our ONLY source of income so people like YOU and YOUR WIFE can get medical care without BS from the company. If you are not that guy who crossed, you need to STFU before you screw him and his wife over.
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#205 Sep 20, 2012
And the guy who did cross the picket line knew what he was getting into. What i said is how it is. It is what it is. He knew that. He did it anyway. If he wanted to play it safe, he could have gone to the union with his problems and explained if they don't help him solve it he will have no choice but to cross that line, but did he do that? Did he ask them for help? Nope.
mwest
#206 Sep 20, 2012
ok i am so lost now whats the deal with the man crossing the line and his wife having cancer i aint understanding with all this fus about it
Big Pappa

Point Pleasant, WV

#207 Sep 20, 2012
Nobody wrote:
WV, did I say I think they should be that way? You really don't want me to go to hell because I'll take over and my real reign will begin, and considering that's where you seem to be headed as well, you better hope for your sake I don't end up there. Sheesh. Quick to judge aren't you? I never once said anything that says I agree with the union on it. If you had a brain and read all the posts, you would realize the context is that my husband has no choice but to be on strike because of that and I hope the strike ends, Thank God it did, because obviously crossing the picket line is not an option here. Thank God you are not God to where you can actually send people to hell because you would surely suck and spit at that job. If you are the one who crossed the picket line with the wife with cancer, I was going to stand up for you with the union but now you are on your own. To add to the irony of the insult, you know they did end up getting insurance coverage for things like chemo treatments... You didn't have to cross the picket line. But if they do let you stay, just be happy they removed the medical necessity BS from the contract for people like you. I'm sure there is a special place in hell for me because I AM THE ONE, NOT YOU, I AM THE ONE who just went without my healthcare and MY CHILDREN, not you, just went without their healthcare, all the pay checks our ONLY source of income so people like YOU and YOUR WIFE can get medical care without BS from the company. If you are not that guy who crossed, you need to STFU before you screw him and his wife over.
WV is the wife of a salary guy. Anything you say relating to the union, she is against. If you speak ill of any of the salary, she'll send you to hell. She will not tolerate the truth to be spoken, if it doesn't follow her ideology. She thinks all salary non-workers at the plant are gods and she'll give them your name and have you condemned to hell. She attacks people at will and she actually thinks she's going somewhere other than hell. hahahahah
wv

Washington, WV

#208 Sep 21, 2012
Big Pappa wrote:
<quoted text>WV is the wife of a salary guy. Anything you say relating to the union, she is against. If you speak ill of any of the salary, she'll send you to hell. She will not tolerate the truth to be spoken, if it doesn't follow her ideology. She thinks all salary non-workers at the plant are gods and she'll give them your name and have you condemned to hell. She attacks people at will and she actually thinks she's going somewhere other than hell. hahahahah
Now, now, I see I've struck a nerve. You couldn't be further from the truth. I have nothing against unions in general, I grew up in a union family, not THIS union. I do think unions have outlived their purpose. My problem is with ignorant thugs who threaten to get their way. The man who crossed because of his wife has more integrity than any of the rest of you put together. Life is about more than your little union, open your eyes and see the big picture.
wv

Washington, WV

#209 Sep 21, 2012
mwest wrote:
ok i am so lost now whats the deal with the man crossing the line and his wife having cancer i aint understanding with all this fus about it
A union guy crossed the line to keep his insurance because his wife has cancer. Now you can imagine what some are calling him.'Union wife' is also getting a list of those who crossed to distribute. I'm SURE for nothing but good things. Wink, wink.
mwest
#210 Sep 21, 2012
wv wrote:
<quoted text>
A union guy crossed the line to keep his insurance because his wife has cancer. Now you can imagine what some are calling him.'Union wife' is also getting a list of those who crossed to distribute. I'm SURE for nothing but good things. Wink, wink.
so crossing the line to go back to work to help his wife is a bad thing i was a member of the steelworkers union several years ago and sometimes the union is a good thing and smetimes not i am sorry but if i had to crosss to prolong my life i would or my kids or my husbands
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#211 Sep 21, 2012
Whoever posted my comment was nuts... How about this. You make fun of people with Down Syndrome. How do I know? I just do. I'm delusional to assume stuff like this and then I hallucinate an enemy who doesn't exist and pick a fight with them... And I'm right and you are wrong. It's now on the internet, your hatred for people with Down Syndrome. People are going to believe this about you now because they are too busy to read anything like where I came up with this conclusion, and it's a fun manipulative game BULLIES play, you know where you can say, "There's so much war in this world," and people are like, "Screw you for killing babies in other countries. Go to hell." And then before you know it, everyone else is like, "Who's killing babies!" and there's a mob with pitchforks ready to take down someone who doesn't exist. So yes, because you are so obsessed with nuts, you obviously hate people with Down Syndrome and do mean things to people like that and now everyone can hate you for it. I could have so gone a Freudian route with that.
Nobody

Marietta, OH

#212 Sep 21, 2012
mwest wrote:
A few people crossed the picket line to go to their own jobs at some point. I was mentioning something about how it would suck to do that and then 2 days later they vote the contract and you are out of work again. People did not believe me that's how it is. If you cross the picket line, you are pretty much risking losing your job as a union member. The union can be pretty big bullies about stuff, and crossing that line is crossing the line with them.

Anyway, one of the guys who crossed did so because his wife has cancer and he needed the insurance. He didn't really have to in the end because the union did get some insurance that would have covered most of what his wife needs, and it was free, but I can still see why he did because nobody mentioned that insurance until after the company's insurance ran out, and who knows what it would have actually covered. He could have gone to the union first to see if they could help or to at least explain why he was going to do what he was going to do, like they all are pretty much in agreement that would have been better. Now they are trying to strip the guys who crossed of the line of their union rights all together which would get them fired and then prohibit them from joining any union in the future. I don't agree with that, but that's what they are doing, and it's the reason I didn't push my husband to cross the picket line. We do have some things going here that need medical attention not covered in the strike insurance, but anyway, forget my sacrifices because I mean nothing without cancer obviously, and i'm going to hell obviously.

Anyway, the union does what the union does. It's not easy to change their minds. Every union member knows if you cross the picket line, you probably won't have a job when the contract settles, not without a fight anyway. Now this union is different. They kept a bunch of scabs from the 1990 lockout, some of who were the worst with the violence in this strike which just infuriated a bunch of members. They may choose to keep these guys after all, but right now, they aren't in the mind frame for it.
mwest
#213 Sep 21, 2012
thats sad union or not working or striking he done it for a reason a damn good reason my heart goes out to them and for them i hope nothing happens god will protect them from whatever evil comes cancer is evil enough my thoughts and prayers to them my god bless you i hope they see this
smh

Ardsley, NY

#214 Sep 25, 2012
I kept hearing one union wife complaining about a lady crossing the line and working but then strike ended now she's complaining her husband will be working too much overtime when he goes back and he may just go somewhere else lol some people are never happy and definelty don't appreciate a good thing

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 10
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ripley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pam Winters 6 hr on_real_t112 5
Dylan Freshour 6 hr A real man 1993 12
How To Delete A Forum? 6 hr funny 2
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 6 hr Sundog512 1,542
Ivonne Valdez and Jeremy Fields (Jun '12) 6 hr Notaco 23
Shawn Miller 7 hr Chrissy 76
Ashley harper 7 hr cuteguy 3

Ripley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance