|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Dickens1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Good morning, Honey. I hope you having a wonderful day. It's a beautiful one here......I am looking forward to sitting out in my swing later this afternoon. I love being outside. I need to pull weeds out from around the back yard birdbath so the flowers blooming there can look their best, but squatting and sitting on the hard ground aren't that easy any more! I'd rather just sit and swing.
:)
I'm with you on this.If I get down I have problems getting back up.My legs don't work the way I want them to and I love my swing in the back.Just sooooo relaxing.Even a rocking chair does the same for me..Are we getting old?..lol
Sweetheart you have a great big beautiful day!!

:~)

“Southern Belles pure and sweet”

Since: Jun 11

keep their cool in summer heat

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

OCTOBER'S PARTY

October gave a party;
The leaves by hundreds cameó
The Chestnuts, Oaks, and Maples,
And leaves of every name.
The Sunshine spread a carpet,
And everything was grand,
Miss Weather led the dancing,
Professor Wind the band.

The Chestnuts came in yellow,
The Oaks in crimson dressed;
The lovely Misses Maple
In scarlet looked their best;
All balanced to their partners,
And gaily fluttered by;
The sight was like a rainbow
New fallen from the sky.

Then, in the rustic hollow,
At hide-and-seek they played,
The party closed at sundown,
And everybody stayed.
Professor Wind played louder;
They flew along the ground;
And then the party ended
In jolly "hands around."

-By George Cooper

I have searched for but have not found the birth and death dates for this wonderful poet. I did find the date this poem was written, 1935, but would so like to know more about the man. If anyone can direct me to a good website, I would appreciate it.

Since: May 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

~~~~~

I will see if I can help you out ...
no promises ... but will look around
some for you ...

~~~~~

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

~~~~~

My grandmotherís favorite poem is a charming one, written by George Cooper (1838-1927):

Come little leaves, said the wind one day;
Come over the meadow with me and play.
Put on your dresses of red and gold,
for summer is past and the days grow cold.

this on had his birth and death on it

~~~~~

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

~~~~~

'this one had'... dang dylan

~~~~~

Since: Oct 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Jem1957 wrote:
Hi-HoneymyLove-Nice meeting you.It is a little easier for me to stay in bed when I take that NyQuil stuff.
Hey Shapeshifter-I met you as Rush, and that is an excellent idea, Tom Katt. Where is Ms. Dickens today?

jem ... it's good seeing you down here ...
it was always nice seeing and talking with you up
at JB's lounge ...

))>><<((

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

Jem1957 wrote:
Hi-HoneymyLove-Nice meeting you.It is a little easier for me to stay in bed when I take that NyQuil stuff.
Hey Shapeshifter-I met you as Rush, and that is an excellent idea, Tom Katt. Where is Ms. Dickens today?
+++++

hello jem ...
another thing is down here there is not
all the drama and arguing that was going
on in JB's lounge ... just peace and quite
come back any time ...

)~~+~~(

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

-tom-katt- wrote:
~~~~~
My grandmotherís favorite poem is a charming one, written by George Cooper (1838-1927):
Come little leaves, said the wind one day;
Come over the meadow with me and play.
for summer is past and the days grow cold.
this on had his birth and death on it
~~~~~
Oh, I adore this poem! It's one of my favorites too. I had to memorize it as a child and I can still quote the first verse. I have the entire poem handwritten in an old journal of mine. It is such a whimsical, fanciful poem, I'll post it in its entirety, to make it easy to read. Thank you so much for reminding me of it!

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

THE WIND AND THE LEAVES

"Come, little leaves," said the wind one day,
"Come o'er the meadows with me and play.
For summer is gone and the days grow cold."

Soon as the leaves heard the wind's loud call,
Down they came fluttering, one and all;
O'er the brown fields they danced and flew,
Singing the glad little songs they knew.

Dancing and whirling, the little leaves went.
Winter had called them, and they were content.
Soon, fast asleep on their earthy beds,
The snow laid a coverlet over their heads.

-By George Cooper

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 5, 2012

What a wild, savage night it is here! I went out to bring in the mail, and as soon as I opened the door, I heard the wind howling. It is a loud and angry wind tonight, beautiful in its fierceness. It whips the rain into a fine cold mist, and sends the dry leaves flying. Surely ghosts walk the earth this night, their wails mingling with the cries of the wind.

......Uh oh! Thunder has come, and its partner, Lightning. Now falls the rain heavy, now roars the wind!

(I may have to unplug!)

And I think, on just such a night as this, in a great aged stone castle, Dr. Frankenstein did a horrible thing......

“go where the wind blows me”

Since: Jul 11

lala land

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Hello all my pretties ,tis the season to hike an egg or three at people you dont really care a whole lot for. Dickens watch out for trees and phone poles in the early morn or late evening.They can bring a broom to a swift stop and the splinters could wreak havoc in places you dont even want to think about.But do pray tell,when is the Halloween party and who is hosting it this year?What are we drinking and eating? I'll bring some Vodka for a Tom Collins or two and maybe some candy for my sweeties.Dickens,we simply cannot let you drink and fly so be prepared to spend the night.I dont think I've ever heard of a designated flier before but I could be wrong.Pepper you had better beware that you don't wind up in a pie looking all pretty as you do.Anyway lets be careful out there!!!!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

Dickens1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, I adore this poem! It's one of my favorites too. I had to memorize it as a child and I can still quote the first verse. I have the entire poem handwritten in an old journal of mine. It is such a whimsical, fanciful poem, I'll post it in its entirety, to make it easy to read. Thank you so much for reminding me of it!
~~~~~

my dear friend dickens ...
you keep telling us about these
journals you have ... they sound like
they would be wonderful to read by an
open fireplace on a chilly night while
streched out on a thick warm blanket
with a cup of hot chocolate. but I
often wonder ... what you have written
about me ... would it surprise me ...
or embrassess me ... laughing ...
I am just teasing you my good friend ...

~~~~~

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

pops101 wrote:
Hello all my pretties ,tis the season to hike an egg or three at people you dont really care a whole lot for. Dickens watch out for trees and phone poles in the early morn or late evening.They can bring a broom to a swift stop and the splinters could wreak havoc in places you dont even want to think about.But do pray tell,when is the Halloween party and who is hosting it this year?What are we drinking and eating? I'll bring some Vodka for a Tom Collins or two and maybe some candy for my sweeties.Dickens,we simply cannot let you drink and fly so be prepared to spend the night.I dont think I've ever heard of a designated flier before but I could be wrong.Pepper you had better beware that you don't wind up in a pie looking all pretty as you do.Anyway lets be careful out there!!!!
Hi there, Pops! A word to the wise is sufficient....I will heed your good warning about trees and telephone poles! Skyscrapers can be troublesome too.:)

Yes, plans for a Halloween Party are in the making! Russsh and Pepper have suggested we have it here, on this thread, and I think that's a great idea. We'll wait until a little closer to Halloween before we settle on a date and time, but we will let everyone know in plenty of time to choose a nifty costume. Let's all practice up on our dancing and come do the Monster Mash!

Oh, and Pops, bring lots of chocolate candy, ok?

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2012

-tom-katt- wrote:
<quoted text>
~~~~~
my dear friend dickens ...
you keep telling us about these
journals you have ... they sound like
they would be wonderful to read by an
open fireplace on a chilly night while
streched out on a thick warm blanket
with a cup of hot chocolate. but I
often wonder ... what you have written
about me ... would it surprise me ...
or embrassess me ... laughing ...
I am just teasing you my good friend ...
~~~~~
Hi Tom Katt! I don't like to brag but yes, I've been told by the few whom I've allowed to peek into my journals that they are Pulitzer Prize-worthy. Especially the chapters devoted to you. My agent tells me that Steven Spielberg has shown great interest in buying the screen rights. And then there's Broadway.....

“There's No Place Like Home ”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Thanks Honeymylove- I only take it by the directions and usually just before I go to bed.(I did take it twice that one day but not with any other Tylenol so it was ok.) Yes Dickens, I love your Avatar too.
It is suppose to frost here Monday morning.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Dickens1 wrote:
<quoted text>
Hi Tom Katt! I don't like to brag but yes, I've been told by the few whom I've allowed to peek into my journals that they are Pulitzer Prize-worthy. Especially the chapters devoted to you. My agent tells me that Steven Spielberg has shown great interest in buying the screen rights. And then there's Broadway.....
~~~~~

I can believe that dickens ...
you would keep a journal that would
be very interesting to read ...
you truly are an artist with words
and thoughts ...

~~~~~

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Jem1957 wrote:
Thanks Honeymylove- I only take it by the directions and usually just before I go to bed.(I did take it twice that one day but not with any other Tylenol so it was ok.) Yes Dickens, I love your Avatar too.
It is suppose to frost here Monday morning.
~~~~~

hello jem ...
how are you today ?

~~~~~

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Happy Sunday afternoon, Everyone! Hi Tom Katt, Jem, Seriously, Wabbit, Honey, Pepper, Pops, GW, Russsh....the whole wonderful gang of you!

I'm fighting with all my might the urge to nap. Instead I'm going grocery shopping.

How do y'all like this chilly-willy weather? I've heard it's going to frost here either Monday or Tuesday night. Good....that should shock the grass and let it know mowing season is officially, authentically over.

....ok, I'm out of here. If I don't get up and move, I will definitely fall asleep.

Have a wonderful afternoon, Everyone!

“I don't do red lipstick...”

Since: Sep 12

well maybe this one time...

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Hi ya'll. Has anyone heard from RightWay?

“There's No Place Like Home ”

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2012

Hi Tom Kat and Dickens and Pepper- alright I guess. How are you all? Your wrist healing, Pepper?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,261 - 4,280 of6,768
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Ripley Discussions

Search the Ripley Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 20 min Julia 139,021
Sheriff Dept in Lauderdale County 3 hr Guest 92
The Sheriff's Election 3 hr Guest 55
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 12 hr TN Voter 8,873
believer 17 hr Samuel 22
2nd shift work? Sat 1234tennessee 1
interesting Sat Tim 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ripley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••