Comments
1 - 20 of 22 Comments Last updated Feb 6, 2013
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Jan 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 26, 2013
 
I am getting ready to start "breaking ground" on my garden & was wondering if anyone else here on the Ripley Topix forum does any gardening.

Being from up north I am sure that what works well up there might not work as well down here so if anyone has any advice, suggestions, tips or tricks that they have found that works well in their garden I would really appreciate hearing them.

Keep in mind that I am a vegetable gardener & that my cool weather spring crop will consist of beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, both head & leaf lettuce's, onions, sugar snap peas, and maybe, just maybe I will try some red potatoes (I have never had any luck with potatoes though).
anon

Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 26, 2013
 
RichardRipley wrote:
I am getting ready to start "breaking ground" on my garden & was wondering if anyone else here on the Ripley Topix forum does any gardening.
Being from up north I am sure that what works well up there might not work as well down here so if anyone has any advice, suggestions, tips or tricks that they have found that works well in their garden I would really appreciate hearing them.
Keep in mind that I am a vegetable gardener & that my cool weather spring crop will consist of beets, broccoli, cabbage, carrots, both head & leaf lettuce's, onions, sugar snap peas, and maybe, just maybe I will try some red potatoes (I have never had any luck with potatoes though).
Get in touch with the local farm cooperatives or local suppliers.

Since: Jan 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

anon wrote:
<quoted text>
Get in touch with the local farm cooperatives or local suppliers.
Thank you for the suggestion Anon, however I was attempting to start "a safe topic" that Ripley folks could possibly participate in without resorting to name calling, muckraking or harrassing each other.

On my previous hometown's online forum the gardening thread was very popular, ie: it was one of those those types of threads that once got started had continued to be active for many years, with tens of thousands of posts worth of great information availible to anyone who enjoyed or was interested in learning about gardening.
Teresa

Cordova, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 27, 2013
 
Great idea! I will be checking back to see what people have to say. I am about to start my garden too. Any help I can get will be appreciated. I was wondering when is the best time to plant grass. And what kind will work the best in this area.
anon

Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 27, 2013
 
Try this link for helpful details:

http://www.thedailygreen.com/green-homes/late...

Since: Jan 13

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jan 27, 2013
 

Judged:

1

1

Teresa wrote:
Great idea! I will be checking back to see what people have to say. I am about to start my garden too. Any help I can get will be appreciated. I was wondering when is the best time to plant grass. And what kind will work the best in this area.
Congratulations Teresa (or whatever your real name is), you just convinced me that there is absolutely no hope of Ripley's Topix forum of being anything other than a complete waste of my time.
Planting spring plants

Savannah, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 27, 2013
 
Richard, the best time to plant your broccoli, cabbage, carrots, green onions and other vegetables you mention is at the end of February. So now is the time to get your ground ready. If you wait much longer after February to plant your spring plants the bugs will eat them up and they will not make anything that will be eatable. You will however have some pretty plants to look at with lots of bug holes. Believe me i know this from experience. It took me many years to learn this lesson.
Good luck with your garden, hope you have lots of good vegetables to eat.
Teresa

Cordova, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 27, 2013
 
I was talking about yard grass, Richard!!!! You are the one that made my post look bad!!! Be ashamed!!!
anon

Ripley, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jan 27, 2013
 
Teresa wrote:
I was talking about yard grass, Richard!!!! You are the one that made my post look bad!!! Be ashamed!!!
Did he think you meant pot? lol You can grow that indoors year around with the proper equipment...

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 27, 2013
 
some go by the almanac and plant with the moon. copies of that are available most anywhere.

if you have a good tiller or a tractor with discs (depends on garden size), wait till ground is dry enough to till so you won't be dealing with hard clods. work in natural fertilizer if possible...dry cow patties are good if you can find them.

have water source available if nature doesn't send rain when garden needs.

God bless.
Teresa

Cordova, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jan 27, 2013
 
This guy is a real buttwipe!!! He wanted to put up a garden post and he was the one the made it nasty!!! I really wanted some advice on YARD grass!!! Go back up North, buttwipe!!!
betty

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jan 27, 2013
 
i wipe my grass in the yard.
Too sad

Williamston, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jan 27, 2013
 
RichardRipley wrote:
<quoted text>
Congratulations Teresa (or whatever your real name is), you just convinced me that there is absolutely no hope of Ripley's Topix forum of being anything other than a complete waste of my time.
What do expect anyone to say about your topic? She was talking about gardening.. You sound like an idiot **hole..
CheesusRiced

Beverly Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jan 28, 2013
 
Be careful of what you grow/how much you grow. New agriculture laws limit the amount you can grow or the state ag department can come by and spray plant-killer over your crops. So, just don't grow more than they limit for home gardens.
This

Halls, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jan 28, 2013
 
CheesusRiced wrote:
Be careful of what you grow/how much you grow. New agriculture laws limit the amount you can grow or the state ag department can come by and spray plant-killer over your crops. So, just don't grow more than they limit for home gardens.
is just more of BIG BROTHER trying to step in & MAKE you buy their genetically engineered veggies! Cheesus is right & it is sickening!! The things they try to stop a person from doing now'a'days is becoming as we say in the south "plum ignorant"!

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jan 28, 2013
 
cheese, what new laws prevent a person from his personal garden? this is horrible.
CheesusRiced

Beverly Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jan 28, 2013
 
theOX wrote:
cheese, what new laws prevent a person from his personal garden? this is horrible.
I'm not too sure WHICH ones, just check with the AG office.

“Southern Belles pure and sweet”

Since: Jun 11

keep their cool in summer heat

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jan 29, 2013
 
theOX wrote:
cheese, what new laws prevent a person from his personal garden? this is horrible.
Hi Ox. I don't know about the laws but I do know of a person who grew some cotton in her flower bed, just for ornamental purposes, and she was asked to remove it. The reasoning was that the cotton growers were afraid boll weevils or other pests could get a toe-hold in her little bit of cotton. This was several years ago. So with that logic in mind, I suppose there could be a valid reason for monitoring what is grown in private yards.

:)
Local

Battletown, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jan 29, 2013
 
Sorry for all the bickering. this could be a good thread. Do try the red potatos, i had really good results last year.I'm planting mine as soon as possible. I wished I had planted earlier last year.

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jan 29, 2013
 
thanks Dickens. have wanted to plant ornamental cotton, but could see the concerns if not pesticides used.

but as much as they use, it would be moot, wouldn't it?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

22 Users are viewing the Ripley Forum right now

Search the Ripley Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
TN Who do you support for Governor in Tennessee in... (Oct '10) 36 min WTSenior 140,723
TN Should state mandate immunizations? New require... (May '11) 1 hr WTH 8,944
Mayors Race 1 hr Voice 28
Idiots that marked Obama for president (Apr '10) 1 hr Jeff 173
Hwy 51 Diner OPEN 2 hr Guest 1
The Sheriff's Election 10 hr Guest 130
Ramon Foster's mother passed 11 hr Sad 2
•••
•••
•••
•••

Ripley Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Ripley People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Ripley News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Ripley
•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••