First Prev
of 3
Next Last
sober

Tupelo, MS

#1 Jan 2, 2013
I'm looking for anyone that is in the process of giving up alcohol. I'm starting that journey and need company.
CitMyWay

Ripley, MS

#2 Jan 2, 2013
Bless your heart and good for you! I wish I could keep you company but I'm not much of a drinker. I use to be but after having kids I was to tired to drink. I think it's great that you are trying and wish I had some words of wisdom. I would think there are plenty of websites and forums for that though.

This may not be the site for encouragement though b/c not a lot of people on here have positive attitudes. For some reason people use this forum to release frustration and anger about everything.

I do wish you the best of luck though and if you are serious about it enough to admit it I think thatís one of the 12 steps :D
sober

Tupelo, MS

#4 Jan 7, 2013
CitMyWay wrote:
Bless your heart and good for you! I wish I could keep you company but I'm not much of a drinker. I use to be but after having kids I was to tired to drink. I think it's great that you are trying and wish I had some words of wisdom. I would think there are plenty of websites and forums for that though.

This may not be the site for encouragement though b/c not a lot of people on here have positive attitudes. For some reason people use this forum to release frustration and anger about everything.

I do wish you the best of luck though and if you are serious about it enough to admit it I think that’s one of the 12 steps :D
Thank you for your kind words. I knew that asking here might open up a can of worms, but luckily you have been the only one to respond. And positively. I'm gonna beat this demon on my back.
moveforward

Ripley, MS

#5 Jan 8, 2013
It takes alot of strength and courage "sober" to beat an addiction. Good for you for being positive and seeking help. You have taken the first step in getting clean, and they say its the hardest. I hope that you can surround yourself with people that understand your situation and are willing to help. You definitely have to surround yourself with people who do not drink, or will not drink anywhere around you. Stay strong. You can do this.
Happy 4 You

Ripley, MS

#6 Jan 8, 2013
Stay determined, once you set your mind to something you can do it! Like "moveforward" said, surround yourself with others that do not drink, that will encourage you more. It may not be easy, just remember your goal! Best of luck to you.
ustabhard

Ripley, MS

#7 Jan 9, 2013
sober wrote:
I'm looking for anyone that is in the process of giving up alcohol. I'm starting that journey and need company.
The main thing is to stay away from the things that made you want to drink before. My problem was being alone. When I was alone, I wanted to drink. This only led me to want to be alone more. Pray. I know a lot of people in today's world don't believe but if you ask him to help you, He will. Lastly, don't give up trying when you fall. I will always be an alcoholic but I don't drink anymore. Good luck to u and I will pray for you.
Juke

Belzoni, MS

#8 Jan 10, 2013
Don't know your drug of choice but its important to find out WHY you want it. What you running from?
sober

Tupelo, MS

#9 Jan 10, 2013
ustabhard wrote:
<quoted text>The main thing is to stay away from the things that made you want to drink before. My problem was being alone. When I was alone, I wanted to drink. This only led me to want to be alone more. Pray. I know a lot of people in today's world don't believe but if you ask him to help you, He will. Lastly, don't give up trying when you fall. I will always be an alcoholic but I don't drink anymore. Good luck to u and I will pray for you.
Thank you all for your replies. I am still holding on to sobriety, but I want drink every day. Got rid of it all, so nothing but water and milk in the house. And I'm becoming a milkaholic too. And just like what was said..being alone is when my drinking escalated. But, things are looking more positive. All of your comments and recommendations are helping me get through.
ItsNotMe

Ripley, MS

#10 Jan 11, 2013
sober wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you all for your replies. I am still holding on to sobriety, but I want drink every day. Got rid of it all, so nothing but water and milk in the house. And I'm becoming a milkaholic too. And just like what was said..being alone is when my drinking escalated. But, things are looking more positive. All of your comments and recommendations are helping me get through.
It's been a week and a half and you are still sober! I don't know you but I'm very proud of you! Know that someone out there is sending you prayers, hugs and best wishes!!

Maybe you need to find a hobby to do when you are alone so you don't have to think about not drinking. That helped me when I was quiting smoking. I wrote a lot in a journal. You will be amazed at how much writing stuff down and thinking about how you feel, even if it's just to yourself, will make you feel better. It helps you vent some of those feelings.
Cheerleader

Belzoni, MS

#11 Jan 11, 2013
ItsNotMe wrote:
<quoted text>
It's been a week and a half and you are still sober! I don't know you but I'm very proud of you! Know that someone out there is sending you prayers, hugs and best wishes!!
Maybe you need to find a hobby to do when you are alone so you don't have to think about not drinking. That helped me when I was quiting smoking. I wrote a lot in a journal. You will be amazed at how much writing stuff down and thinking about how you feel, even if it's just to yourself, will make you feel better. It helps you vent some of those feelings.
Yay!!!! Way to go !!!! Its note gave some great advice! Have you ever tried puzzles like Suduko or word find or crosswords? These can help brain stimulation and redirect thoughts. Drink loads of water to flush the system faster.

You can do this!!!!!
Arrow

United States

#12 Jan 16, 2013
I like seeing this,it gives me inspiration,i myself am in the process of quiting drinking,ive tried a few times,but i also suffer from depression and its hard,I am only 32 yrs old but i dont want to waste my life being a drunk.I have had way to many bad things happen when i am drunk.I hope you make it.ive been sober for 2 weeks now and it doesnt get any easier.
sober

Tupelo, MS

#13 Jan 17, 2013
Arrow wrote:
I like seeing this,it gives me inspiration,i myself am in the process of quiting drinking,ive tried a few times,but i also suffer from depression and its hard,I am only 32 yrs old but i dont want to waste my life being a drunk.I have had way to many bad things happen when i am drunk.I hope you make it.ive been sober for 2 weeks now and it doesnt get any easier.
You are right...this is hard as hell. Everyday is a battle. But, I totally agree with itsnotme and cheerleader. Hobbies help. I have started weight lifting. Just finished a workout and I'm too damn tired to drink.
Wondering

Pearl, MS

#14 Jan 18, 2013
I'd there a nearby AA in Ripley? Or would anyone here be interested in meeting up and starting a support group of some kind? Maybe involve family and friends of users too? Just a meeting to share with each other?
Wondering

Pearl, MS

#15 Jan 18, 2013
Support is everything. New friends is a must.
Anonymous

United States

#18 Jan 19, 2013
n/a meeting is at driving license building n ripley at 400 oclock on sundays. theres othere times and days thru the week they meet there but dont knw them.
Buddy

Jackson, MS

#19 Jan 20, 2013
Any yaw wanna meet up ?
rebel33

Ripley, MS

#20 Jan 20, 2013
Stay strong, & call a good friend when u feel weak!
Irene

Hattiesburg, MS

#21 Jan 25, 2013
I heard timber hills was having some kinda group meetings. I'm going to try to find alanon support .
friendly

Walnut, MS

#22 Jan 25, 2013
Good for u!!! I'm so proud of u. I'm alone all day n night and I too am kicking smoking. It's hard and I'm disabled and by myself a lot. All these good folks have good ideas. Good luck. If we were friends, we'd hand and beat these demons together
Toker

Pearl, MS

#23 Jan 26, 2013
You go friendly!!!!! You can do it!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ripley Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Women to have Fun 1 hr Saw them do it 21
Thomas Little 3 hr The White Troll 5
What has happened to Cody Maharey 5 hr Patrick 6
Burger King coming !! (Jan '16) Aug 20 SMC 17
toyota (Nov '11) Aug 20 MonkeyMan 12
meth House Aug 19 shadowpeople 1
Beverly Graves Aug 18 Just curious 5

Ripley Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ripley Mortgages