Solano County says no to pot measure

There are 54 comments on the The Reporter story from Aug 26, 2010, titled Solano County says no to pot measure. In it, The Reporter reports that:

Solano County leaders are not high on the idea of legalizing marijuana and decided to oppose an initiative on the November ballot that would do just that if approved by voters.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Reporter.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
mayor pete sanchez

AOL

#1 Aug 26, 2010
Our Suisun City Council passed the No on Prop. 19 resolution on a 5-0 vote. I am pleased to have Rio Vista and the Board of Supervisors on our side, although their 3-2 votes are not as solid as Suisun City's.
Note that both gubernatorial candidates Brown and Whitman are against Prop 19 too , joining Senators Feinstein and Boxer, the League of California Cities, the police and district attorney associations, the chamber of commerce etc.
Vote them out

Grand Prairie, TX

#2 Aug 26, 2010
Vote them out
mark

Pleasanton, CA

#3 Aug 26, 2010
has anyone told Nolfo that no one has ever died from marijuana but how many thousands of people die every year from cocaine abuse and prescripition drug abuse which is at its all time worst as of right now! im sure if you look in his bathroom cabinet he has several perscriptions in his own posession right now.
William

San Bruno, CA

#4 Aug 26, 2010
Thank you

-Marines find 72 bodies in northern Mexico
By MARK STEVENSON, Associated Press Writer
Wednesday, August 25, 2010

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

-Migrant had $19 million pot operation
By GEOFF JOHNSON -DN Staff Writer

www.redbluffdailynews.com/ci_15851186

-$80 million in meth, cocaine seized in Gilroy
Associated Press
Friday, August 20, 2010

www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi...

Mexican Nationals, mi amigos!

-Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard, Paul Simon, Negotiations and Love Songs, 1971-1986

Several arrested in Cottonwood meth raids
By GEOFF JOHNSON -DN Staff Writer

www.redbluffdailynews.com/ci_15840340...

-Authorities note increased violence in pot raids
The Associated Press
Posted: 08/22/2010 04:02:57 PM PDT

www.times-standard.com/statenews/ci_15861168
Citizen Bob

Rio Linda, CA

#5 Aug 26, 2010
"proponents of the bill say taxing and regulating cannabis will generate billions of dollars for California and local governments to fund jobs,

Proponents, please provide some factual information when you say it generate billions.
William

San Bruno, CA

#6 Aug 26, 2010
mark wrote:
has anyone told Nolfo that no one has ever died from marijuana but how many thousands of people die every year from cocaine abuse and prescripition drug abuse which is at its all time worst as of right now! im sure if you look in his bathroom cabinet he has several perscriptions in his own posession right now.
Your statement is not entirely correct. There are direct and indirect causes of death related to drug abuse. Here is a recent one. Read this news story and pay attention to the last sentence of the article.

-Girlfriend of suspect in teacher death arrested
By GREG WELTER MediaNews Group

www.redbluffdailynews.com/ci_15814941...

The woman's boyfriend had been arrested for manslaughter running down a teacher while he is "allegedly" under the influence of marijuana... trial pending.

Ps. Judging by all your spelling errors, are you three-sheets to the wind or just naturally ignorant?
Citizen Bob

Rio Linda, CA

#7 Aug 26, 2010
The fact is that there are millions of people in this state that are not needed or will be needed in the workforce. Due to the automation of jobs. So I see no problems with the leisure class use of cannabis which they can grow to stay stoned all day while they watch Oprah. Quit spending taxpayer money trying to enforce the pot laws. No way to modify the behavior of non working citizens.
Glad to be in Texas

Mckinney, TX

#9 Aug 26, 2010
How many local California cannibas growers will be murdered by Mexican drug cartels if this law goes through? They are not going to just sit by and watch billions of their potential dollars of drug money get washed away by California legislation. Especially when their are people in Mexico who are carrying out murders for the drug cartels for $40.00 U.S.
Vidal Suisun

Los Altos, CA

#10 Aug 26, 2010
Citizen Bob wrote:
The fact is that there are millions of people in this state that are not needed or will be needed in the workforce. Due to the automation of jobs. So I see no problems with the leisure class use of cannabis which they can grow to stay stoned all day while they watch Oprah. Quit spending taxpayer money trying to enforce the pot laws. No way to modify the behavior of non working citizens.
Where did you get the Idea that everyone that smokes pot doesn't work? Everyone I know that smokes also works. The people I know that have trouble holding a job are the ones that DRINK.
Vidal Suisun

Los Altos, CA

#12 Aug 26, 2010
Tamu Nolfo is off his/her OHD rocker. I know of no one outside some who needs it for medical issues such as pain that is dpendent on pot. It is not physically addicting. Maybe phsycologically but not physically. Point nuber two, it will raise millions if not billions in state revenue. I I don't believe for one minute that legalization will lead to more people using it. It is already easy to obtain and for the most part the local police ignore small amounts anyway so why would more people use it just because it is legal. Booze is legal and I don't drink. Ciggarettes KILL and are legal and I don't smoke tobacco. TRhink about this when you have your next 3 martini Lunch with your "PHD" colleagues.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#13 Aug 26, 2010
Ha ha
Vidal Suisun

Los Altos, CA

#14 Aug 26, 2010
If solano county wants to oppose prop. 19 then they should quit Bitching about the budget. Stop standing in the way of potential revenue and Quit hiring "Good ole' Boys" for meaningless positions such as "Director of resource management" sounds Like a made up position to me.And a waste of money. No wait, they could get the money from Marijuana tax revenue, problem solved.
GoFigure

Escalon, CA

#16 Aug 26, 2010
I have yet to come across an argument for those opposing Prop 19 that is based on fact and not Reefer Madness rhetoric.
Hey RRC, proposition 19 would help in your mission of reducing rates by regulating marijuana thus making it harder to get thus reducing consumption. Just look at all of the studies that have been done by coalitions like yours where teens say it's easier to get pot than beer (and claim that they can get pot within 10 minutes) This is because alcohol is strictly regulated and selling to minors is punishable by law as it would be with prop 19. Your neighborhood drug dealers aren't checking ID.
Vaca Citizen

Palo Alto, CA

#17 Aug 26, 2010
"Nolfo told supervisors that results of a needs assessment showed that one in four Solano County youth have used marijuana at some point before age 17 and one in five high school juniors are current marijuana users. The coalition believes that legalizing marijuana will make it more affordable and accessible, and result in the number of adolescent users increasing drastically."

It doesn't seem to me based on Nolfo's own statistics that adolescents are having a hard time accessing marijuana and using it now.

Every government arguement I've seen against this Proposition has been ridiculous and bogus. Kids use marijuana more than alcohol because marijuana is easier to come by. Kids have to get someone to buy their alcohol or steal it from the parents liquor cabinet, they don't need anyone to buy their drugs for them.

Save the statistics, they are always changing anyway!
Vaca Citizen

Palo Alto, CA

#18 Aug 26, 2010
mayor pete sanchez wrote:
Our Suisun City Council passed the No on Prop. 19 resolution on a 5-0 vote. I am pleased to have Rio Vista and the Board of Supervisors on our side, although their 3-2 votes are not as solid as Suisun City's.
Note that both gubernatorial candidates Brown and Whitman are against Prop 19 too , joining Senators Feinstein and Boxer, the League of California Cities, the police and district attorney associations, the chamber of commerce etc.
The various "associations" do not necessarily represent the voices of the officers or DA's or cities. I have also said it before and will say it again, thank you for letting others know how you will be voting but at the end of the day I'm counting 4 votes with Brown, Whitman, Feinsein and Boxer - none of which whose opinions I have a whole lot of respect for.
carol

Foster City, CA

#19 Aug 26, 2010
Vidal Suisun wrote:
<quoted text>Where did you get the Idea that everyone that smokes pot doesn't work? Everyone I know that smokes also works. The people I know that have trouble holding a job are the ones that DRINK.
Well said, I agree & it can be controlled like tobacco & drinking by requiring id's & making it a crime to furnish it to minors, let the voters decide.

Since: Apr 08

Location hidden

#20 Aug 26, 2010
Again, HA HA!
Dade

Fairfield, CA

#21 Aug 26, 2010
For those of you who act like getting this legalized is all of a sudden going to make it soooo much harder for kids to get a hold of pot are to be frank idiots. When I was in high school getting both alcohol and cig's was as one person said easily done within 10 minutes. You just had to know the right people or I guess the wrong people. So stop with the fantasy that legalization turns into strict control over who has access to it. It'll be just be as illegal as ever for those under 18 and it won't stop them a second from getting it. Also I haven't meet one pot smoker yet that truly has a legit medical reason for using it. I am positive they are out that do, but the vast majority are smoking up for fun. Nothing wrong imo about that as long as the laws treat it as alcohol regarding drinking and driving and etc. But let's not get all stupid about the 'billions' of dollars in revenue. Anyone know how much money the state gets from liquor sales by chance? I KNOW we sell more of that than anything else in this county and country.
tired

San Leandro, CA

#22 Aug 26, 2010
Hell no !! Do not legalize pot. We already have enough problems with alcohol and Metican drug gangs. If we legalize pot our officers will be too stupid too figure out what laws to uphold and we wont have enough time to stop the gang problems. Besides the gangs will get into the distribution of black market pot and we dont want that.
jus me

Vacaville, CA

#23 Aug 26, 2010
no re elections here...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rio Vista Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thief May 18 Sika300 1
News Suisun works to put crimp on homeless encampments May 6 Birds Landing Bob 1
Good luck with daddy buying into yacht club u m... May 3 BICOC 1
News DUI checkpoint nets 31 arrests Apr '15 Jean 6
News Walmart opens in Suisun City with 3 mayors, 4-f... Mar '15 Iamsid 2
Review: Almost Diamonds (Aug '08) Mar '15 Catherine Sers 60
News Senior coalition continues mini medical school ... Mar '15 KristinTraylor 1
More from around the web

Rio Vista People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]