Lexington County Murderer Hangs Himse...

Lexington County Murderer Hangs Himself in Prison

There are 135 comments on the WLTX Columbia story from Jul 23, 2007, titled Lexington County Murderer Hangs Himself in Prison. In it, WLTX Columbia reports that:

A Lexington County man who killed his sister-in-law was found dead overnight in his prison cell.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WLTX Columbia.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last

“Welcome To The South”

Since: Feb 07

Columbia, SC

#148 Jul 30, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Brewer - the murderer - worked 40++++ hours a week, owned a home, had a family with three kids, owned a lot of equipment and had an extremely supportive family. So I think you need to get a grip and go smoke some more pot so that you can fry your brain some more.
"A Lexington County jury convicted Johnny Brewer of strangling his sister-in-law in her kitchen. He then set her body and her bedroom on fire. Brewer, a high school drop-out, represented himself at his 1999 trial. Prosecutors asked for the death penalty."
-Hey, at least I graduated high school and will have an BA in May.
the one

Columbia, SC

#149 Jul 30, 2007
Vanessa in SC wrote:
<quoted text>
"A Lexington County jury convicted Johnny Brewer of strangling his sister-in-law in her kitchen. He then set her body and her bedroom on fire. Brewer, a high school drop-out, represented himself at his 1999 trial. Prosecutors asked for the death penalty."
so are you jealous that he dropped out of school and had a good job and family? No need to quote anything about the trial I was there. By the way - he didn't receive the death penalty so he did some good being a drop out that represented himself. May be you need to get the transscript and get some pointers in case your "pot" ever gets you in trouble.
someone who knows

United States

#150 Jul 30, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
Mr. Brewer - the murderer - worked 40++++ hours a week, owned a home, had a family with three kids, owned a lot of equipment and had an extremely supportive family. So I think you need to get a grip and go smoke some more pot so that you can fry your brain some more.
Thank you The One, but let's not forget that he put his wife through college as well.
someone who knows

United States

#151 Jul 30, 2007
Vanessa in SC wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't know the reason for him dropping out of school like I do. There was a very good reason for it.
OMG

Dawsonville, GA

#152 Jul 30, 2007
The truth wrote:
Sweeeeeet!!!$30/day to support inmate.* 365 days = 10950/year * 30 years =$328500. Nice, we may get a tax break!!!!!!!!!! If we could only get more to kill them selves.
yall have no heart if you say that, that was a human person u should be ashamed of all of yalls self that is like sayin " if your family member was in jail that they should kill themself to save money"

“Welcome To The South”

Columbia, SC

#153 Jul 30, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
so are you jealous that he dropped out of school and had a good job and family? No need to quote anything about the trial I was there. By the way - he didn't receive the death penalty so he did some good being a drop out that represented himself. May be you need to get the transscript and get some pointers in case your "pot" ever gets you in trouble.
Ummm...I am so glad that you believe that he had a good job as a wonderful self appointed lawyer. I do not applaud any 'family man', without a high school degree, who acts as their own attorney in their murder trial. This man strangled a family member and then set her body on fire. Where were her family members during this court bound 'struggle'? They were grieving for the loss of the woman that he so brutally murdered. His family admitted that he had 'problems' aka major hard core drug issues (marijuana is not mentioned (crack crazy)). He was not killing for a bowl of herb. I do not believe that smoking pot will ever lead to murder, unless you are snorting/smoking/shooting hard drugs or have an unfortunate mental illness.
the one

Sheridan, AR

#154 Jul 30, 2007
Vanessa in SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Ummm...I am so glad that you believe that he had a good job as a wonderful self appointed lawyer. I do not applaud any 'family man', without a high school degree, who acts as their own attorney in their murder trial. This man strangled a family member and then set her body on fire. Where were her family members during this court bound 'struggle'? They were grieving for the loss of the woman that he so brutally murdered. His family admitted that he had 'problems' aka major hard core drug issues (marijuana is not mentioned (crack crazy)). He was not killing for a bowl of herb. I do not believe that smoking pot will ever lead to murder, unless you are snorting/smoking/shooting hard drugs or have an unfortunate mental illness.
I do believe he did a good job representing himself. Any pro se person that can represent themselves and no receive the death penalty definitely does a good job. I am not proud of what he did but he did as good if not better than many attorneys out there. I being in law enforcement can tell you that most criminals regardless of the crimes they commit - will tell you that they started with marijuana. I am also interested that this good job that you keep talking about how your boss feels about your pot habit. If you are also glad about your pot habit stop by your local police department and share your support of "pot".
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#155 Jul 30, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
I do believe he did a good job representing himself. Any pro se person that can represent themselves and no receive the death penalty definitely does a good job. I am not proud of what he did but he did as good if not better than many attorneys out there. I being in law enforcement can tell you that most criminals regardless of the crimes they commit - will tell you that they started with marijuana. I am also interested that this good job that you keep talking about how your boss feels about your pot habit. If you are also glad about your pot habit stop by your local police department and share your support of "pot".
You're about as stupid as they come,go set up a sting for littering how about it.
the one

Sheridan, AR

#156 Jul 30, 2007
Lonewolf wrote:
<quoted text>You're about as stupid as they come,go set up a sting for littering how about it.
I would rather catch pot smokers.
Lonewolf

Leesville, SC

#158 Jul 30, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
I would rather catch pot smokers.
You won't catch this one because I do it in the privacy of my own home,and,if you think you want to come up in here and get me,I've got something for you.

“Welcome To The South”

Columbia, SC

#159 Jul 31, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully, my boss knows of my casual use of marijuana. I do not smoke nor drink alcohol before working. I think you are one of the problems with law enforcement today-closed minded and non-progressive. Go ahead and keep incarcerating pot smokers while child molesters are getting probation.
the one

Columbia, SC

#160 Jul 31, 2007
Vanessa in SC wrote:
<quoted text>
Thankfully, my boss knows of my casual use of marijuana. I do not smoke nor drink alcohol before working. I think you are one of the problems with law enforcement today-closed minded and non-progressive. Go ahead and keep incarcerating pot smokers while child molesters are getting probation.
I am not a solicitor nor a Judge so I don't choose what sentence they get. I hope you like criminals because your boss is one by not turning in your illegal use of marijuana. I am glad you took your my space web address off of your profile. Your brain is fried I have nothing more to say to you.
smoke dog

United States

#161 Jul 31, 2007
OMG wrote:
<quoted text>
yall have no heart if you say that, that was a human person u should be ashamed of all of yalls self that is like sayin " if your family member was in jail that they should kill themself to save money"
if i had a family member in prison for MURDER i would hope he would kill himself to save money and to show what a coward he was!!!!!

“Welcome To The South”

Columbia, SC

#162 Jul 31, 2007
the one wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not a solicitor nor a Judge so I don't choose what sentence they get. I hope you like criminals because your boss is one by not turning in your illegal use of marijuana. I am glad you took your my space web address off of your profile. Your brain is fried I have nothing more to say to you.
My boss smoked marijuana when she was younger and feels the same way that I do. Get back up on your high horse (or police cruiser) and leave us horrible pot smokers alone.
Tommy P

Evans, GA

#163 Aug 8, 2007
COLUMBIA, SC (WIS)- They are accused of preying on children, and some have even pleaded guilty to these crimes. Dozens of internet sex predator convictions could now be overturned.

Since 2004 there have been 84 arrests, all men who thought they were talking to 13 or 14-year-old boys and girls online. Twenty-four have already pleaded guilty.

"They're guilty. We know they're guilty. You ought to read this stuff. It will make you sick," says Attorney General Henry McMaster.

But some of them may soon receive a get out of jail free card. A ruling by Spartanburg Circuit Judge Mark Hayes has put the state's internet predator program in jeopardy.

McMaster says, "We think this order by the judge is wrong and will be reversed on appeal."

It stems from the case of Anthony Odom, 33, an attorney and former assistant solicitor in Aiken.

Odom was arrested for having sexual chats with an officer posing as a 13-year-old girl. But before Odom went to trial, Judge Hayes called into question the procedure authorities used to track down Odom and other internet predator suspects, because an internet screen name could belong to anyone around the world.

South Carolina law enforcement goes to internet service providers - like Yahoo, Road Runner and AOL - to get a suspect's personal information. McMaster says, "The federal and state law allows it. There's no prohibition to doing this. We are following the federal statute."

Judge Hayes doesn't agree. While he's gone on record saying he can't comment on the case, Hayes noted state law requires a higher standard than the federal law regarding how authorities obtain personal information from internet companies. It's an argument that was used in another case back in May of 2006, but was thrown out.

"The law is good. The procedures are good. It's working well," says the attorney general.

Before the state's Internet Predator program passed in 2004, the procedures on how they get personal information were signed off on by the state supreme court.

So what's next? The state's internet predator program is moving forward, but the attorney general's office has turned its cases over to the feds while the appeals process continues. It's a process that could take up to a year, officials say.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ridgeland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News $4,500 stolen in armed robbery at Yemassee Doll... Sat MsDiva 2
John and Elizabeth Calvert Cold Case Gets New L... (Mar '10) Dec 30 Duhtheydiditthems... 28
Ridgeland Music Forum (Nov '12) Dec '16 Musikologist 14
What's up with Grace Bible Camp St Helena (Oct '14) Nov '16 skeptic 18
Beaufort needs a Night Club or better night per... Nov '16 9Livez 1
mizu japanese restaurant-- top 100 asian restau... (Mar '12) Oct '16 Edgar Newborn12 5
Area marijuana smuggler sentenced to more than ... (Feb '08) Oct '16 chip 32

Ridgeland Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ridgeland Mortgages