Deal on Mastic Beach skate park closing in

Full story: Newsday 146
Mastic Beach skateboarders who have pressured Brookhaven Town to fulfill a promise to build a skateboard park in their area might soon get their wish. Full Story
First Prev
of 8
Next Last
the inquirer

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Jul 22, 2009
"The equipment will be ramps, rails, tables. We're trying to give it an urban look," [Brookhaven Councilman Keith Romaine] said.

Yes, because a skate park is all about the look. How about making sure it is designed by someone who knows how to design skate parks so it doesn't just look good, it's enjoyable to skate?

Let's see how if they screw this one up.
Great job

Yaphank, NY

#2 Jul 22, 2009
Keith Romaine is doing a good job!
Gary

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#3 Jul 22, 2009
Great, just what we need... MORE obnoxious, disrespectful skate rats in the neighborhood...
special Ed

West Islip, NY

#4 Jul 22, 2009
cool another place to buy crack in Mastic
YouCantBeSerious

Queens Village, NY

#5 Jul 22, 2009
Gary wrote:
Great, just what we need... MORE obnoxious, disrespectful skate rats in the neighborhood...
I know... Mastic so SOOOOO CLOSE to Jersey...
Smith Point Resident

AOL

#6 Jul 22, 2009
Gary wrote:
Since you don't live in our community how do you know what we need or what our kids are like? We have a large group of wonderful kids who want to have a place to skate and there is nothing wrong with that. We, as the adults in this community, want what we feel will be a safe and great place for the kids so I would suggest you worry about your community and let us worry about ours.
Gary

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#7 Jul 22, 2009
Smith Point Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Since you don't live in our community how do you know what we need or what our kids are like? We have a large group of wonderful kids who want to have a place to skate and there is nothing wrong with that. We, as the adults in this community, want what we feel will be a safe and great place for the kids so I would suggest you worry about your community and let us worry about ours.
Actually, I live in Shirley. I am posting from my office in Hauppauge. My Verizon internet connection shows as NJ on this board for some reason.
Gary

Monmouth Junction, NJ

#8 Jul 22, 2009
And, I see these wonderful kids everytime I am at the King Kullen on Wm Floyd parkway. They cruise around the parking lot of the stores and the library next door with no regard whatsoever for the people that are either driving or walking in the parking lot. I have almost hit one of them on more than one occasion because they dont look where they are going or what is around them in the lot and have almost been run into by them when walking from my car to the stores.

Since: Jul 09

Floral Park, NY

#9 Jul 22, 2009
How much will it cost to have SCPD be onsite 24/7 to keep out the gangs, drug dealers and graffiti ?
Express Press Printing

Millbrook, NY

#10 Jul 22, 2009
Good, I hope the kids have a blast!
Great sport!

“My rottie wants belly rubs”

Since: Jun 07

A few blocks from the Ocean

#11 Jul 22, 2009
Gary wrote:
And, I see these wonderful kids everytime I am at the King Kullen on Wm Floyd parkway. They cruise around the parking lot of the stores and the library next door with no regard whatsoever for the people that are either driving or walking in the parking lot. I have almost hit one of them on more than one occasion because they dont look where they are going or what is around them in the lot and have almost been run into by them when walking from my car to the stores.
Even more of a reason to have a skatepark away from the shopping area parking lots. They won't be in your way anymore.

“My rottie wants belly rubs”

Since: Jun 07

A few blocks from the Ocean

#12 Jul 22, 2009
Express Press Printing wrote:
Good, I hope the kids have a blast!
Great sport!
I miss skateboarding. I still can carve, but you won't find me on any rails.
Yeah well

Fort Lee, NJ

#13 Jul 22, 2009
I can see it now: "TRUMP Smith Point Skate Park and Catering Hall"
A Great Thing

AOL

#14 Jul 22, 2009
It's about time these kids got their skate park. There's very few places for the kids in our community to go to and now they won't have to resort to parking lots. The summer program at the beach is a great idea too. Our kids deserve places to go that are safe and fun.
AntiHamptons

Stratford, CT

#15 Jul 22, 2009
Getting better and better every day.
Shoreham

Patchogue, NY

#16 Jul 23, 2009
"The equipment
will be ramps, rails, tables. We're trying to give it an urban look," [Brookhaven Councilman Keith Romaine] said.
Yes, because a skate park is all about the look. How about making sure it is designed by someone who knows how to design skate parks so it doesn't just look good, it's enjoyable to skate?
Let's see how if they screw this one up.
You are right, Romaine has not a clue about what makes up a good skatepark. The skaters should demand that they use a real builder like California skateparks or Grindline. Thes companies will be on the Island doing parks for Huntington and Oyster Bay. Then at least we will get a good skatepark
Badtothebone

Gaithersburg, MD

#17 Jul 23, 2009
AntiHamptons wrote:
Getting better and better every day.

I can just picture you now, some little old dried up shriveled up old bitch who thinks she's still hot. Did I get it right? Go take your Geritol and get some sleep.
Brian Nugent

Trenton, NJ

#18 Aug 4, 2009
I grew up skating on long island and have skated all over the world. I never moved back because of the lack of places to skate and the comunity ignorance toward skateboarders. Now i am now 34 and still skating. Please take advantage of this opportunity to do this right and consult some skatepark companies with experience in concrete bowls and plaza elements. The "equipment" being sold is over priced, dangerous, and in poor taste overall.
ryan

Bay Shore, NY

#19 Aug 13, 2009
Gary wrote:
not all of us are skate rats in the neighborhood
bill

Valley Stream, NY

#23 Sep 4, 2009
The local gangsters will have that shit look like crap in no time. word son!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Slime Bags (May '12) 19 hr Busted 16
Subway (May '14) Dec 18 Taxes Due 3
Stop the lies about Manorville (Apr '11) Dec 18 Sunshineretrednow 6
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) Dec 17 Lou 334
Poospatuck Unketchaug Reservation Close Smoke S... (May '11) Dec 16 pbear 17
MBPOA Law suit Dec 16 Question 80
Vodka Vic to hold fund raiser Dec 15 king bruce 2

Ridge News Video

Ridge Dating
Find my Match