Himes urges schools to show Obama back-to-school speech

Rep. Jim Himes, D-4, spoke to a crowd of supporters -- and one vocal detractor -- Monday afternoon on the steps of Town Hall about the controversy surrounding President Barack Obama's back-to-school speech, framing the issue as a debate over the free exchange of information. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
fact check

Hartford, CT

#1 Sep 8, 2009
The White House has done a 180 on this speech. Originally the speech was all about Obama -- how children can "serve" him and what are some of the wonderful things that he's done.
After legitimate objection, the White House now states the speech is about doing well in school and staying in school.
They appear to have outmaneuvered their opposition.
My personal opinion is that he is just one more Chicago political hack but way too left-wing for these United States.
Just Crazy

AOL

#2 Sep 8, 2009
fact check wrote:
The White House has done a 180 on this speech. Originally the speech was all about Obama -- how children can "serve" him and what are some of the wonderful things that he's done.
After legitimate objection, the White House now states the speech is about doing well in school and staying in school.
They appear to have outmaneuvered their opposition.
My personal opinion is that he is just one more Chicago political hack but way too left-wing for these United States.
And how do you know this? Do you have a copy of the supposed 'orginal' speech? You and your cronies will do anything to discredit this guy. You spread lies, fear, and misinformation. Desperate moves like this cost you the election. Keep it up and you'll be losing many more.
No One Important

Warrenville, IL

#3 Sep 8, 2009
It was bad timing.

Obama is becoming unpopular, and the democrats are becoming HATED.

If he had given this speech earlier in his term, the nation probably would have CHEERED it.

But that goofy Q/A study paper they distributed with it really put the stink in the bomb.

Bad timing, that's all it was.

His behavior, the democrats' behavior, a lot of people do NOT think of Obama as a "role" model now.

ABC/WaPo poll said a MAJORITY of the nation doesn't TRUST Obama to make sound decisions for the nation anymore.

THAT'S why the dust up. He's tanking, and so are the democrats.

Just bad timing.

Besides, the liberal lefties shrieked about HW Bush, they have no right to demand any different treatment for a democrat president.

What goes around comes around. You don't shovel as much hate out there as the looney left does and not expect bad karma to come flowing back to you.

What goes around, comes around....

He should have done it earlier, or waited.
Good Deal

Stamford, CT

#5 Sep 8, 2009
Let their parents tell them to stay in school. No need to waste time and money by having the "president" do it. It seems he is always doing something other than the important things he should be doing! I guess if adults have stopped listening, maybe the students will? Especially if they are FORCED to!
Aaron

Oceanside, CA

#6 Sep 8, 2009
My sister joined what could be defined as a "cult" that severely curtailed what information she could receive and which family members she could communicate with. When we visited her, she always had one of the group follow us around, even into the restroom so she wouldn't become "swayed." I wondered--if this belief system was so terrific, why does sis need to be "protected" from any and all information that might cause her to "stray"? I'm a democrat who listened to Bush Sr. and W's speeches to children, and I emerged still a democrat. I imagine kids whose parents hate Obama will be able to explain away any leftist traumatizing information the President may disseminate; in fact, it may be a good teaching moment between parents and kids (the way one of my professors deliberately had her children watch commercials for the purpose of "looking underneath"). A sad state of affairs when children are perceived as being so delicate they might turn into--whatever parents will think their kids will turn into--just by listening to a presidential speech!

Since: Jul 08

Myrtle Beach, SC

#8 Sep 8, 2009
Someone ought to send either the reporter or the editor or both back to school. If they can't check their own spelling, syntax and sentence structure, they should take time out to listen to the speech today and discover where they went wrong.

As far as the speech itself goes, as long as President Obama sticks to the script and encourages kids to stay in school and work hard, it's OK with me. In fact, I think it's as good an idea for him as it was for previous presidents. What has happened to our country that makes us all so hateful toward those who choose to disagree?
Cultist Democrats

Totowa, NJ

#9 Sep 8, 2009
Aaron wrote:
My sister joined what could be defined as a "cult" that severely curtailed what information she could receive and which family members she could communicate with. When we visited her, she always had one of the group follow us around, even into the restroom so she wouldn't become "swayed." I wondered--if this belief system was so terrific, why does sis need to be "protected" from any and all information that might cause her to "stray"? I'm a democrat who listened to Bush Sr. and W's speeches to children, and I emerged still a democrat. I imagine kids whose parents hate Obama will be able to explain away any leftist traumatizing information the President may disseminate; in fact, it may be a good teaching moment between parents and kids (the way one of my professors deliberately had her children watch commercials for the purpose of "looking underneath"). A sad state of affairs when children are perceived as being so delicate they might turn into--whatever parents will think their kids will turn into--just by listening to a presidential speech!
LOL. Was the cult called ACORN or Organizing for America???

Obama is the cult leader, nobody else!
Refried

North Haven, CT

#10 Sep 8, 2009
No One Important wrote:
It was bad timing.
.
I agree. The only good timing, from your perspective, would be if Obama had lost the election and your guy won.

But that didnt happen. So you sit and stew.
Aaron

Oceanside, CA

#11 Sep 8, 2009
Cultist Democrats wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Was the cult called ACORN or Organizing for America???
Obama is the cult leader, nobody else!
Hmmmm... If Obama is indeed a "cult leader," neither you nor anyone else on this thread would be permitted to criticize him. And those kids being exposed to his speech would never be allowed to hear anything to the contrary. Many would like to be that all-powerful...
Luke and Laura of Shelton

Jericho, VT

#12 Sep 8, 2009
President's Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr. all gave speeches televised to school children, and each with a political message - unlike Obama's proposed speech. We were forced to listen to Reagan's and then do a class assignment. Our parents, who are Democrats, certainly did not object but only discussed the speech with us later as they respected the office of the President and considered it a special event. There was certainly no massive outcry from Democrat parents to ban Republican Presidential speeches from the schools. Nor was there an outcry when Clinton did so. Which certainly begs the question - is this raced based hate mongering at it's most absurd? If a Republican parent fears that one speech from a Democrat President is going to have a lasting, negative effect on their children, then perhaps your brainwashing skills aren't as effective as you'd like them to be.
The President is the elected leader of our country. As much as we despised the last Bush and disagreed with him, we would certainly never prohibit our children from listening to anything he had to say. Quite frankly, he provided much material that needed to be discussed with our children, in particular why starting a war based on lies is wrong and why we are still in Iraq and heavily in debt due to the costs of being in 2 wars. Or why we voted for Rep. Shays for many years until the last election, even as registered Democrats.
Raising children who grow into thinking, intelligent, respectful, compassionate, informed adults who are able to make their own informed and intelligent decisions as citizens of this country is the basis of good parenting. If you're secure in your parenting and communication skills and facts, there should be no reason why you would object to your children listening to this speech. As for taking away time from the school day, it's being broadcast during the lunch hour and can easily be made into a homework assignment.
Jack

Tulsa, OK

#13 Sep 8, 2009
You are absolutely correct. The real message the right is sending to their children is simply, you cannot trust the president of our country. Now in a few years or a decade or so, there will be another republican president. Yes there will. And if democrats treat him with the same disrespect being given Obama right now, republicans will cry and moan about respect the office and patriotism. But it will their children doing showing that lack of respect because they learned it in school when mom and dad taught them that the president is an evil man.
Phil Rupp

Princeton Junction, NJ

#14 Sep 8, 2009
Himes is dreadful, how he got elected is beyond me. Hopefully he won't be around long, Dodd needs to go as well.
New Canaan Pundit

Bronx, NY

#15 Sep 8, 2009
Does anyone know exactly what Laura Bush was reading to kids in school throughout her term as first lady? I don't remember getting an advance notification that there was to be aan 'opt out' option.

Surely,'tis a shame when the President of the United States is blacklisted by our schools.
Debra

Totowa, NJ

#16 Sep 8, 2009
Jack wrote:
You are absolutely correct. The real message the right is sending to their children is simply, you cannot trust the president of our country. Now in a few years or a decade or so, there will be another republican president. Yes there will. And if democrats treat him with the same disrespect being given Obama right now, republicans will cry and moan about respect the office and patriotism. But it will their children doing showing that lack of respect because they learned it in school when mom and dad taught them that the president is an evil man.
I guess you missed the last eight years when Democrats made movies about how to assassinate Bush, told us the wars were lost, and welcomed socialism into our country.
06831 GW CT

East Hampton, NY

#17 Sep 8, 2009
‘Staying on task’ is what teachers have their students do...Mr. Obama should follow this too. He needs to finish fixing the economy instead of moving from job to job. Going after Healthcare was an immediate ploy to take the Nations focus off the economy and the stagnating 'Stimulus' plan which is not working at plan.
Instead of yet another ploy to turn the Nations focus from the economy – let us parent our children. This is not the Governments job.
If the Government wants our children to be proud of their work then they should do the correct job(s) they have been elected to do – plus get Special Interest Groups and Lobbyists out of Washington D.C. There is enough to fix in Washington D.C. to keep those elected occupied for years.
Remember a goal and part of ‘Socialism’ is to turn the children.
Fix the economy and clean up Washington politics and leave parenting to parents.
New Canaan Pundit

Bronx, NY

#18 Sep 8, 2009
Second thought. When I was a kid, my father would send me to the post office to buy stamps (.03 at the time). He would send me back if I brought in the 3 cent Eisenhower stamp, which was replaced, i believe, by the 4 cent Lincoln...Talk about Government cult of personality indoctrination...
Dope

Warwick, NY

#19 Sep 8, 2009
Jack wrote:
You are absolutely correct. The real message the right is sending to their children is simply, you cannot trust the president of our country. Now in a few years or a decade or so, there will be another republican president. Yes there will. And if democrats treat him with the same disrespect being given Obama right now, republicans will cry and moan about respect the office and patriotism. But it will their children doing showing that lack of respect because they learned it in school when mom and dad taught them that the president is an evil man.
are you kidding? all anyone has heard for the past eight years is how evil bush was. am i the only one who saw those hitler-like posters of bush here in america and throughout the world? no one said boo then but all of a sudden it's "despicable" to do the same in cos cob?
Dope

Warwick, NY

#20 Sep 8, 2009
Debra wrote:
<quoted text>
I guess you missed the last eight years when Democrats made movies about how to assassinate Bush, told us the wars were lost, and welcomed socialism into our country.
i concur...
06831 GW CT

East Hampton, NY

#21 Sep 8, 2009
Jack wrote:
You are absolutely correct. The real message the right is sending to their children is simply, you cannot trust the president of our country. Now in a few years or a decade or so, there will be another republican president. Yes there will. And if democrats treat him with the same disrespect being given Obama right now, republicans will cry and moan about respect the office and patriotism. But it will their children doing showing that lack of respect because they learned it in school when mom and dad taught them that the president is an evil man.
The elected Office of President is what is respected, the holder of the title of President must earn respect. We have had many Presidents that have never earned respect of the title by not just the citizens but from the military.
Keep in mind many Democrats & Republicans vote their Party Line and never respect the man thier Party chose even if he did win the eclection.
06831 GW CT

East Hampton, NY

#22 Sep 8, 2009
Luke and Laura of Shelton wrote:
President's Reagan, Bush Sr. and Jr. all gave speeches televised to school children, and each with a political message - unlike Obama's proposed speech. We were forced to listen to Reagan's and then do a class assignment. Our parents, who are Democrats, certainly did not object but only discussed the speech with us later as they respected the office of the President and considered it a special event. There was certainly no massive outcry from Democrat parents to ban Republican Presidential speeches from the schools. Nor was there an outcry when Clinton did so. Which certainly begs the question - is this raced based hate mongering at it's most absurd? If a Republican parent fears that one speech from a Democrat President is going to have a lasting, negative effect on their children, then perhaps your brainwashing skills aren't as effective as you'd like them to be.
The President is the elected leader of our country. As much as we despised the last Bush and disagreed with him, we would certainly never prohibit our children from listening to anything he had to say. Quite frankly, he provided much material that needed to be discussed with our children, in particular why starting a war based on lies is wrong and why we are still in Iraq and heavily in debt due to the costs of being in 2 wars. Or why we voted for Rep. Shays for many years until the last election, even as registered Democrats.
Raising children who grow into thinking, intelligent, respectful, compassionate, informed adults who are able to make their own informed and intelligent decisions as citizens of this country is the basis of good parenting. If you're secure in your parenting and communication skills and facts, there should be no reason why you would object to your children listening to this speech. As for taking away time from the school day, it's being broadcast during the lunch hour and can easily be made into a homework assignment.
I do not think this is Race based as you ask.
It has come to the point the U.S. voter is fed-up. When you have lost or may lose your job, home, retiremnet fund and what you have worked for all your life and your Government was partly the cause (Congress & Senate) you understand Government intervention to extreme (socialism)is not what we want.
The people of this once great nation are fed-up. We have been turned into a nation of users, we have lost our manufacturing base - the economy we have become can not sustain itself.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Is Brady Barby 14 min hodoo 45
Frank Frigginahole 3 hr hodoo 8
Dans Horse dead farm (Aug '13) 20 hr Michelle 354
Mastic Beach Village Board to consider waterfro... Mon hodoo 54
road work Mon hodoo 40
vincenzo scarpetta uk . greek elections Mon Cantor 1
Sound Beach Man Busted for Heroin & Narcotics Jan 25 msxis 1

Ridge News Video

Ridge Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Ridge People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 11:24 am PST

Yahoo! Sports11:24AM
New Browns OC unfazed by QB uncertainty
Bleacher Report11:36 AM
Ex-QB: Equipment Staff Fixes Brady's Balls
Bleacher Report 7:29 PM
How the Jets Can Make Most of Each Draft Pick
Bleacher Report 8:01 PM
5 2nd Round Prospects Jets Should Target
NBC Sports 7:09 AM
Perry Fewell to interview for position coach job with 49ers