Suit: Cops share blame for man's deat...

Suit: Cops share blame for man's death after chase

There are 55 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 4, 2007, titled Suit: Cops share blame for man's death after chase. In it, Newsday reports that:

The family of a Farmingdale man who was killed in his home last December after a high-speed police pursuit is expected to file a lawsuit against the Nassau and Suffolk police departments tomorrow.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Steaming pile of

Port Washington, NY

#1 Dec 4, 2007
What a load of BS this is.....some dirtbag waste of a life drug addict is speeding to get away from police, crashes and kills a guy, and now they want to blame the police???
maxwell

Morristown, NJ

#2 Dec 4, 2007
This is typical of the lawsuits that have to be tossed out of court. The cops tried to stifle a criminal from possbly killing many. Their best attempt ended a bit tragically. But there is no reason to do the Money Shuffle because a human being (cop) made a decision and 1 got hurt instead of many.
PETEF

Corona, NY

#3 Dec 4, 2007
The facts seem to indicate that the cops were in violation of set down protocols. They were a contributing factor for the death. Do I blame them? No, I do not. Car chases are always tricky. No good usually comes from these chases. I lean towards the cops on this one, but understand the issues.
Get Real

AOL

#4 Dec 4, 2007
The only one to blame is the low-life they were chasing.
Some lawyer is grabbing the victims family ears and said we can make alot of money if we sue the Police.
Get Real!
Richard Mair

Ronkonkoma, NY

#5 Dec 4, 2007
I guess it wasn't my fault. Glad the cops got the blame. I'll be out in a few years. I got the last laugh.
JWB

AOL

#6 Dec 4, 2007
the cops should have been allowed to shoot and kill him...would have made life easier all around..
Dr Gregg in Denver

Aurora, CO

#7 Dec 4, 2007
maxwell wrote:
This is typical of the lawsuits that have to be tossed out of court. The cops tried to stifle a criminal from possbly killing many. Their best attempt ended a bit tragically. But there is no reason to do the Money Shuffle because a human being (cop) made a decision and 1 got hurt instead of many.
But why would they? judges used to be lawyers, so they seem to look after their shark brethren. And people wonder why the cost of things is so high. Why we are inundated with stupid disclaimers and prevented from doing this and that, and why medical care costs are so high and our tax money seems to be wasted. It's everybody suing for ridiculous sums of money, costing everybody money, the consumer, the taxpayers. Clogging up courts, raising all kinds of insurance rates, etc. It's thie bull S suing of everybody and scumbag lawyers that make up such ridiculous claims. As well as the idiot jury members that award these cases.
Fomer LIer

Saint Petersburg, FL

#9 Dec 4, 2007
Sue the dirtbag's family. Leave the cops alone. Just think morons if you win -- you'll get to pay for your own settlement with your new higher taxes!! DUH!-- But Oh, the lawyers will make out alright!
mister hard driver

Huntington, NY

#10 Dec 4, 2007
maxwell wrote:
This is typical of the lawsuits that have to be tossed out of court. The cops tried to stifle a criminal from possbly killing many. Their best attempt ended a bit tragically. But there is no reason to do the Money Shuffle because a human being (cop) made a decision and 1 got hurt instead of many.
"A bit tragically"? "1 got hurt"?
you realize a man died as a result, dont you? an innocent man died. if it turns out the police car forced the car off the road through the house wouldnt that show culpability?
hopefully the facts will come out, even if it takes a trial.
CLUELESS

Denver, CO

#11 Dec 4, 2007
Get Real wrote:
The only one to blame is the low-life they were chasing.
Some lawyer is grabbing the victims family ears and said we can make alot of money if we sue the Police.
Get Real!
agreed.
it's a shame what happened, but it is not the police's fault, the blame is with the criminal who instigated the chase....
RED WHITE BLUE

Coram, NY

#15 Dec 4, 2007
HOW MANY OTHER COVER UPS DO YOU THINK THEY DO IN A YEAR. I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW WHO THE PRIVATE ENGINEER WAS JUST IN CASE OTHER CIVILLIANS (AS WE ARE CALLED) MAY NEED THEM.
WHY ARE WE CHASING GUYS LIKE THIS!!!
RED WHITE BLUE

Coram, NY

#16 Dec 4, 2007
jon-aol

Mamaroneck, NY

#17 Dec 4, 2007
they should ban these chases unless their chasing a murder suspect or known armed suspect . not for someone just speeding , or some petty criminal , roads are too dangerous for these kind of chases, wait till they hit some kids, walking home then you'll see them changing there policy
CopKilla

Dumont, NJ

#18 Dec 4, 2007
The cop should take some of the blame personally. Step up and be a man officer.
YEA RIGHT

Cottonwood, AZ

#19 Dec 4, 2007
Get Real wrote:
The only one to blame is the low-life they were chasing.
Some lawyer is grabbing the victims family ears and said we can make alot of money if we sue the Police.
Get Real!
THIS IS STUPID, THE IDIOT THEY WERE CHASING, DID NOT COMMIT ANY FELONIES, IF HE HAD JUST MURDERED SOMEONE, OR RAPED SOMEONE, OR KIDNAPED SOMEONE, THEN BY ALL MEANS HAVE AT IT, I ASKED MY FATHER WHO SERVED 22 YEARS AS AN MP IN THE MARINES, AND 17 YEARS AS A GA STATE TROOPER, HE SAID , IF THEY WERE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THIS MAN DO WHATEVER THEY SAY HE DID, THEN THEY WERE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE HIS LIC. PLATE, NOBODY HAD TO DIE, ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GO TO HIS HOUSE AND WAIT FOR HIM. THE COPS CHASED THIS FOOL, THEN TRIED THE " PIT" MANUVER, AND FORCED THIS MANS CAR INTO THAT HOUSE, THE FOOL THEY WERE CHASING AND THE COPS ARE TO BLAME FOR THIS. WHAT IF THIS WAS YOUR FATHER OR SON IN THAT HOUSE, AND WAS KILLED, WOULD YOU SAY " THAT'S OK, I WON'T SUE THE COPS"? PLEASE.... DON'T PISS ON MY HEAD AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING... I HOPE THE GET HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
BEEN THERE DONE THAT

United States

#20 Dec 4, 2007
AMAZING HOW MANY MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACKS CAN MAKE A BETTER DECISION THEN THE ONE MADE IN A SPLIT SECOND BY THE POLICE. CAN MISTAKES BE MADE BY THE POLICE? OF COURSE. DO I BELIEVE IN AN ORCHESTRATED COVER-UP BETWEEN THE TWO DEPARTMENTS TO HIDE THIS SO CALLED 'RUNNING HIM OFF THE ROAD'? COME ON....IN THIS DAY AND AGE OF VIDEO CAMERAS, I DO NOT KNOW OF ONE COP WHO WOULD RISK HIS JOB AND PENSION OVER SOMETHING LIKE THIS. I ALSO WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHAT WONDERFUL ENGINEER CAME UP WITH THIS THEORY ABOUT A FAILED PIT MANUEVER. AMAZING WHAT KIND OF 'FACTS' MONEY CAN BUY. UNTIL I SEE THE REPORT, REMEMBER INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY, AND THAT APPLIES TO THE DIRTBAGS AND THE COPS ACTIONS THAT NIGHT. A TRAGEDY ALL THE WAY AROUND.
dardontrade

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#21 Dec 4, 2007
" Yea Right " hopes they get hundreds of millions of dollars.
what a dumb ass you are buddy!
Who you think will pay this hundreds of millions? Don't know?
Let me help you. You and me jerk. Yes we are paying for all this crap,so the dirty lawyers can by an other porsche.
Fill better now?
Bob from Finesville

Easton, PA

#22 Dec 4, 2007
joe from smithtown wrote:
criminals are stupid. it's up to police officers to use better judgement. what are the supervisors being paid for if they dont call off a pursuit over nonsense (this was not even a felony case). a car is a 2 ton weapon. call a helicopter or an unmarked and follow it until it's parked, then try to make an arrest and recover the vehicle. but a pursuit in broad daylight? come on, that is just as stupid as the criminals.
If i remember right, this was a drug arrest right? misdemeanor possesion? a man lost his life over misdemeanor drug possesion.
that is poor police work, no matter hhow you look at it. yes to all that dont agree with me, this is coming from a police supervisor.
Wow, you are amazing, you read the story months after it happened and you make the right decision!! Do you really think the police knew all the aspects of the crime at the time, that it was misdemeanor and not something more. What if a child was found tied up in the trunk later on, would that make it ok in your mind then?? Nice to be able to have time to make a decision. And you state you are a supervisor???...probably buried in records or some other HQ spot!!!
Bob from Finesville

Easton, PA

#23 Dec 4, 2007
YEA RIGHT wrote:
<quoted text>
THIS IS STUPID, THE IDIOT THEY WERE CHASING, DID NOT COMMIT ANY FELONIES, IF HE HAD JUST MURDERED SOMEONE, OR RAPED SOMEONE, OR KIDNAPED SOMEONE, THEN BY ALL MEANS HAVE AT IT, I ASKED MY FATHER WHO SERVED 22 YEARS AS AN MP IN THE MARINES, AND 17 YEARS AS A GA STATE TROOPER, HE SAID , IF THEY WERE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE THIS MAN DO WHATEVER THEY SAY HE DID, THEN THEY WERE CLOSE ENOUGH TO SEE HIS LIC. PLATE, NOBODY HAD TO DIE, ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS GO TO HIS HOUSE AND WAIT FOR HIM. THE COPS CHASED THIS FOOL, THEN TRIED THE " PIT" MANUVER, AND FORCED THIS MANS CAR INTO THAT HOUSE, THE FOOL THEY WERE CHASING AND THE COPS ARE TO BLAME FOR THIS. WHAT IF THIS WAS YOUR FATHER OR SON IN THAT HOUSE, AND WAS KILLED, WOULD YOU SAY " THAT'S OK, I WON'T SUE THE COPS"? PLEASE.... DON'T PISS ON MY HEAD AND TELL ME IT'S RAINING... I HOPE THE GET HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF DOLLARS.
Your dad says just go to the bad guys house and wait for him because they saw his plate number ??? I guess in his 17 years as a GA state trooper he never had some one with stolen or switched plates??? What a dumb statement that is !!! Another Monday morning quaterback.
PeteF

AOL

#24 Dec 4, 2007
no easy solution to the problem of chases. trust me a chase is horrifying enough. I would rather go into a gun battle than a high speed chase, especially as the passenger.

make it a felony to run.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
horse boarding (Jan '13) 10 hr Dantheman 71
Moving To Patchogue ? (Oct '14) Sun Keith Hackney 11
News Moriches Man Charged With Home Improvement Scam (Feb '11) Dec 6 madoff sindrome 18
cam slave wanted (Apr '14) Dec 6 Poor Brady 32
Old Home Depot on Rt112 and Rt 27 (Feb '10) Dec 2 Bern 155
Don Woolley (Dec '10) Dec 1 Don W 15
Net Neutrality Nov 28 three blocks 1

Ridge Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Ridge Mortgages