What happened to Rickman

What happened to Rickman

Posted in the Rickman Forum

Trudi

Columbia, SC

#1 Jan 27, 2009
We first moved to Livingston in 1987 and Rickman was incorporated and now its nothing but a bedroom community to Cookeville and Livingston. What happened?
Ummm

Cookeville, TN

#2 Jun 16, 2009
I think time forgot it?
Call Someone

Cookeville, TN

#3 Jul 22, 2009
That's a good question. It's all about the politics though. You know the population of Rickman is over 1600, almost 1700 now. The only area of Overton Co. even close to the population of Livingston. Want to incorporate again? Call your county commissioners and make some community meetings to be held at the community center. Rickman is a prime community to grow, but not under leadership of our current county mayor. Go ahead and call Rick Moles, Bill Phipps, and Chris Speck and voice your concerns because they are your representatives, however if you want real change find a motivated individual who will lead your community to growth and prosperity. Someone who will bring in business and industry. Rickman has the potential, just nurture it.
Informed

Livingston, TN

#4 Dec 31, 2009
Good old days, then death....Remembering better times,there was a few men in Rickman who once tried to better the community. They started the Rickman community center, water district, built and brought in affordable housing and built manufacturing businesses for people to work closer to their homes. They got the area incorporated for a short time; but people in Livingston were afraid Rickman would out grow them, so they schemed and took the high school saying busing would be cheaper and better for the county and also got people to lie about the area being incorporated. They told old people lies about the city and they needed to vote against keeping Rickman a city, because they didn't want Livingston to loose any of the county revenue that the Tennessee State Dept. would have divided between the two(2) city governments. I and a few people of Rickman can still remember those selfless people who tried to stregthen the Rickman area; they were so proud to have helped improve this area....... Its a shame the good had to die before they accomplished their goal.....
one or two were business persons, I'm pretty sure one was an older dentist, believe it or not from Livingston, there was a lawyer who made the statement back then that Rickman was a bedroom to Cookeville, that lawyer later became the Attorney General of the State of TN. The bad thing was that someone was always trying to put them down because of their committment to this community......
Now think if you can, or ask some of the older citizens of Rickman who those people were......that made things better for all of us..
Then try to follow their lead.

You can go to the newspaper archives between the years of 1960 and 1992. It shows the people who worked hard (for and against Rickman). The water district starts @ 1969 or 70, Landfill with no charge started in the 60's I believe. Affordable housing started around that time; Rickman City elections (for and against) were in the 1980's after the High School take over. It can all be found in black and white print. Don't trust me; look things up for yourselves.

Thank you and GOD Bless
Sonya Ray

Livingston, TN

#7 Apr 1, 2010
Wow! I bet there are more now (1700 people in Rickman) I have been in Rickman for 7 yrs now I love it I was always a homebody so don't know much about it starting to realize the importance of being involved in your community. Learned alot just from a few post.
worry wart

Byrdstown, TN

#8 Jan 6, 2011
Rickman has the "lettuce plant", Dollar Store (which is a "good" thing) BBQ place (Big E's)(fantastic) the Garden Cafe, Ramsey's grocery store, Ragland/Riley clinic, Union Bank, Post Office, Cobble's Hardware, Greens Nursery, Marnathon gas station. What else is there?? What have I left out?
YES

Cookeville, TN

#9 Mar 9, 2011
Sex Shop lol
worry wart wrote:
Rickman has the "lettuce plant", Dollar Store (which is a "good" thing) BBQ place (Big E's)(fantastic) the Garden Cafe, Ramsey's grocery store, Ragland/Riley clinic, Union Bank, Post Office, Cobble's Hardware, Greens Nursery, Marnathon gas station. What else is there?? What have I left out?
worry wart

Byrdstown, TN

#10 Mar 17, 2011
Oh, yeah!! Don't vs, so, don't remember!!
50 Pockets

Livingston, TN

#11 Jun 6, 2011
worry wart wrote:
Karen's Dog House Of Beauty, A doctor's office, lots of churchs, and The Western store
worry wart

Byrdstown, TN

#12 Jun 10, 2011
Well there you go!! Rickman has enough places that people don't realize. You Rock Rickman!!!
James Spell

Livingston, TN

#13 Nov 29, 2011
Sonya Ray wrote:
Wow! I bet there are more now (1700 people in Rickman) I have been in Rickman for 7 yrs now I love it I was always a homebody so don't know much about it starting to realize the importance of being involved in your community. Learned alot just from a few post.
They also have a fine Dr- Dr. Nelson!
I own a powdercoating and sandblasting company on Windell Community Road, we do Powder Coating, Sand Blasting and painting, Hope will bring more business to this community, it is a good community.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Rickman Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
County Waste 58 min appleseed 4
Travis Ballard 1 hr Uraslut 5
7 days consecutive work? Isn't that illegal? (Apr '11) 1 hr joseph 428
Kid walked out of First Baptist Mothers Day Out 1 hr Larry 12
John Matthew Thrasher (Mar '14) 2 hr Hogeye alumni 3
Why is Livingston full of drug addicts & scum? 4 hr Billy Joe G 46
Local Politics Do you approve of Curtis Hayes as Mayor? (Jun '12) 4 hr Billy Joe G 121
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Rickman Mortgages