Jim

Hansford, WV

#1 Feb 3, 2012
Alpha announced today they are laying off 450 miners in WV & Kentucky. Thank you Mr. Obama. Patriot Coal ia also laying off hundreds.
1 post removed
dont thank obama

United States

#3 Feb 5, 2012
Think you should thank the gas companies...
Wasper

Summersville, WV

#4 Feb 5, 2012
What the hell does the gas companies have to do with the coal mines layoffs anyway!
hiya

United States

#5 Feb 5, 2012
New game in town boys...coal is making room for "cleaner, greener energy" gas. That's what gas has to do with layoffs. Read a paper and learn how many coal companies leased off to gas companies.
All the boys outta work can now sit back, watch your kids do without while the redneck gas jockeys from south come here and rake in the dough.
Not to worry tho...where these boys come violence and deserted babies tend to follow. So at least you will be entertained while you sit rocking and watching the trucks full of non-english speaking men go by.
haha

United States

#6 Feb 5, 2012
Seems to me the news said it had to do with the mild winter we've been having. Said they wasn't giving their coal away so it would stay in the ground awhile longer. Didn't hear anything bout the gas companies shutting them down. I must be listening to the wrong news.
Wondering

United States

#7 Feb 6, 2012
No hiya is right. The gas companys are switching from coal to gas and the mines are losing orders. Like they said. Pick up a paper once in a while. Most of the laid of miners will be placed. But 250 of Alphas miners will be laid off. The Companies lose orders so the miners lose jobes. The same with the steel companies. They are all switching over to gas. That means that the mines are losings the coal orders so there for the miners are losing there jobs but they had a great run for a while. This is nothing new it happens every few yrs or so with the mines. Ask any coal miner. It was in the Saturday Gazette. You can check it out on the computer. Front page. Alpha even told which mines would be shut down.
Wasper

Summersville, WV

#8 Feb 6, 2012
Well, some of y'all sure told me what gas companies got to do with drop in coal business . Let's see if I got this straight --- warm winter means less need for coal for power plants & they switching to cheaper gas besides.. Damn looks gloomy for coal. This mild winter, then no wonder the gas drillers are working around the clock perfect weather for them makin big bucks $$$. Well then won't power plants just keep using gas thru the hot summer to make power to run the air conditioners? Next winter gas will be fueling the power plants again --- I don't see the word coal in there very often!
NO FRACKING WAY WV

United States

#9 Feb 6, 2012
The promotion of Natural Gas use is definitely part of the picture of mine closures and lay-offs throughout Appalachia. However, consider this. West Virginia accounts for HALF of American coal exports and the problem here is that as the world.. and particularly the massive trading block of Europe.. continues to slip into recession/collapse, demand for coal will continue to fall. Consequence? The industry over here starts shutting down. All the clean air regs over there also discourage the use of the "dirty" bituminous coal such as that produced in WV's mines, while countries in Europe pursue energy efficiency programs to reduce overall energy consumption. Remember the laws of supply and demand. They apply as much to coal as to any other commodity, be it gas or gold.
Wondering

United States

#10 Feb 7, 2012
You tell them ppl. They think they know everthing but like we said if they would learn to read they might learn something. haha Power to the Educated....yea....
citizen

Spencer, WV

#11 Feb 10, 2012
Its about time they get knocked off there high horse thank they are better then everyone else and rude as he??
Wasper

Summersville, WV

#12 Feb 11, 2012
citizen wrote:
Its about time they get knocked off there high horse thank they are better then everyone else and rude as he??
You kinda confused there comrade? Who is 'there- they- everyone else & he? Too much Ole Milwakee talkin there. Drop all the grammatical bullshit & put some specific rhetoric to it so we can have some intelligent (smart) dialogue (talk).
Wasper

Summersville, WV

#13 Feb 14, 2012
Citizen ... What happened to ya .. Gas Gods drag ya off & eat ya. LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richwood Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cherry River Festival 2017 4 hr Yuck 12
Jason Cowell 4 hr Right 5
Create your own Forum (Jun '15) 9 hr I no everything 4,169
Mumseys 12 hr tugmutton 10
erica griffith alderman 22 hr I know 24
Richwood Treasures Wed Someone who cares 70
New school in Richwood Wed Nicholas County 48

Richwood Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance