Former Chico officer faces charges

Former Chico officer faces charges

There are 20 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Feb 14, 2008, titled Former Chico officer faces charges. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

A former Chico police officer, fired last year for allegedly filing a false police report, now faces a criminal misdemeanor charge in connection with the incident.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

Lindsay Rechs

United States

#1 Feb 14, 2008
My husband and I are close friends with Robert Ponce and his wife, our children are great friends as well. I have known the Ponce family for ten years and am appalled at the Chico Police Department in their effort to smear Robert Ponce's character. Anyone who knows Robert will tell you that he is genuinely a good guy, I have heard this said about him for years, from many people. I have been in close contact with the family throughout this ordeal that potentially may ruin Robert's chances of starting a new career. Not only did Mr. Ponce EARN the Medal of Valor, but also the Life Saving Award, M.A.D.D. Award, and the Stolen Vehicle Recovery Award while he was a Chico Police Officer. He was also Butte County Deputy of the Year. Robert's accomplishments in his decade of public service go on to include his assignments as a Chico Police Officer and a Butte County Deputy Sheriff (this includes: Special Weapons and Tactics team member and Detective assigned to the Special Victim's Unit). It saddens me to know that someone who is honestly a good citizen, an exceptional father and husband, who made a poor judgement call, can face such scrutiny as true criminals roam the streets daily. Come on Chico P.D., go after the real bad guys. Way to go in crushing the hopes and dreams of a loving family in the sorry attempt for publicity. Our family's thoughts and prayers are with Robert and his family.
Khan

Chico, CA

#2 Feb 14, 2008
Many good people make mistakes, just because he was a good person doesnt mean he shouldn't pay for what he did. besides its just a misdemeanor. he's not going to jail!!
John

Chico, CA

#3 Feb 14, 2008
I am happy to see a Police Officer being held accountable for his actions. I think it is too often that these kinds of incidences are swept under the rug to protect the brotherhood of Police Officers. They should be held to a higher standard due to their position of power. And as for the first comment I'm pretty sure that most of the people this officer has locked up also had family's and lots of people who would say that they were nice people. I'm also sure that this did not stop him from bringing them to justice. The abuse of Police power is a scary thing.
angela

Redwood City, CA

#4 Feb 15, 2008
Hello---Please put this in perspective!

Since: Jun 07

Redding, CA

#5 Feb 15, 2008
Lindsay Rechs wrote:
It saddens me to know that someone who is honestly a good citizen, an exceptional father and husband, who made a poor judgement call, can face such scrutiny as true criminals roam the streets daily. Come on Chico P.D., go after the real bad guys. Way to go in crushing the hopes and dreams of a loving family in the sorry attempt for publicity. Our family's thoughts and prayers are with Robert and his family.
My thoughts and prayers go to the ones that were abused by cops or wrongly convicted. This is a result of HIS actions, but just like in a courtroom every day, the criminal always has an excuse and it's not their fault. I am at a loss as to the suggestion that it is somehow the police dept's fault. Yeah, maybe for hiring him!
Who cares about his medals and accomplishments? Lots of bad people have done good things, and vice versa, so I don't follow the logic on that one. Furthermore, that was supposed to be part of his job anyway.
He should face scrutiny, he's one of those criminals roaming the streets, as you say.
If you think he deserves a break for a "bad judgement call", then all the other people that are arrested for a "bad judgement call" should get off too.
Timothy

Chico, CA

#6 Feb 15, 2008
Lindsay Rechs wrote:
My husband and I are close friends with Robert Ponce and his wife, our children are great friends as well. I have known the Ponce family for ten years and am appalled at the Chico Police Department in their effort to smear Robert Ponce's character. Anyone who knows Robert will tell you that he is genuinely a good guy, I have heard this said about him for years, from many people. I have been in close contact with the family throughout this ordeal that potentially may ruin Robert's chances of starting a new career. Not only did Mr. Ponce EARN the Medal of Valor, but also the Life Saving Award, M.A.D.D. Award, and the Stolen Vehicle Recovery Award while he was a Chico Police Officer. He was also Butte County Deputy of the Year. Robert's accomplishments in his decade of public service go on to include his assignments as a Chico Police Officer and a Butte County Deputy Sheriff (this includes: Special Weapons and Tactics team member and Detective assigned to the Special Victim's Unit). It saddens me to know that someone who is honestly a good citizen, an exceptional father and husband, who made a poor judgement call, can face such scrutiny as true criminals roam the streets daily. Come on Chico P.D., go after the real bad guys. Way to go in crushing the hopes and dreams of a loving family in the sorry attempt for publicity. Our family's thoughts and prayers are with Robert and his family.
Lindsay -
Ask any Officer in the Butte County area and they will tell you this is not the first time Ponce has been written up.
I personally feel that getting rid of Robert Ponce was the best decision the Chico Police Department has made in a long time.
It appears as though the guy is a liability.

I don't understand how everyone is coming down on the Chico Police Department for firing an Officer who was falcifying reports and pocketing evidence .. and possibly cheating on his wife.
Possibly paying cash for 'services.'

Exchanging money for 'inappropriate services' is only legal in Nevada.

I can't believe his wife would stick by a man who is giving another woman money.
I guess now she finally has some evidence in front of her.
angela

San Francisco, CA

#7 Feb 15, 2008
Wow Tim...I sure hope you don't have any skeltons in your closest. Remember those who live in a glass house, shouldn't throw stones. But then again--small town, small minds. LAAAAATTTTEEEERRRR.
Ann

Courtland, CA

#8 Feb 15, 2008
Angela,
"falcifying reports and pocketing evidence"...what part of that don't you understand?
I hope to God my mind never enlarges enough to hold that load of crap.
Timothy

Chico, CA

#9 Feb 16, 2008
Angela-
I don't 'throw stone's'
I throw BOOKS at crooked Cops.
bummed out

Chico, CA

#10 Feb 16, 2008
The sad part about this is that Robert has a wife and two sons to consider, and he went out of his way to let them down. This has nothing to do with him being a cop. Anyone who lets there family down like this, well, I just pray for them. I know Robert well. I was shocked when I learned what occurred. We are all human and we all have our weaknesses. But Robert is was a cop, and his weaknesses could not be tolerated, not in Chico. All cops know the warning: "Booze, broads, or bills will get your badge." Chico PD is 100% on point in firing Robert. He discraced us all. God bless you Ponce. Miss you much, but you turned your back on your brothers. You broke the public trust and deserved to lose your badge.
Raymond

San Jose, CA

#11 Apr 19, 2010
There are all types of people in this crooked world we live in... Robert made mistakes and has moved on with his life... Regardless of the real story or the real facts He is human just like everyone else! Good luck to you Robert may God Bless You Always...
Unknown

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

#12 Aug 8, 2010
Crazy...I search up this person's name to see if his wife actually stayed with him after finding out that he was cheating...to find that karma sucks! I was trying to remember his first name and knew he was a detective so crazy how the internet works. After all he did years ago...it was time for him to pay.
unknown

Fairfield, CA

#13 Mar 21, 2012
he is a cheater. i know because ive seen it
Scott

Chico, CA

#14 May 24, 2013
Robert is a great husband and father...He has owned his past and restoration has come to him and his family of 5. they are a great testament to God's restoring work. Wonderful family and Robert is a truly humble man and is setting a great example for his family.
Thank God for His mercies...they are new every morning...
A Toad Roady

Lincoln, CA

#15 May 24, 2013
Funny how no one has pointed out (actually said) this scum "VIOLATED THE PUBLIC TRUST".
That's the real issue here. I also don't understand why many of you condemn and want to hang joe six -pack when he/she makes an honest mistake but are now talking about how wonderful this creep is.

Tattoo cop on his forehead and put him in general population at Pelican Bay. I have as much respect for this guy as I do for a pedophile.

And then fire the moron who actually hired him in the first place.
Freeman

Wichita Falls, TX

#16 May 24, 2013
A Toad Roady wrote:
Funny how no one has pointed out (actually said) this scum "VIOLATED THE PUBLIC TRUST".
That's the real issue here. I also don't understand why many of you condemn and want to hang joe six -pack when he/she makes an honest mistake but are now talking about how wonderful this creep is.
Tattoo cop on his forehead and put him in general population at Pelican Bay. I have as much respect for this guy as I do for a pedophile.
And then fire the moron who actually hired him in the first place.
Why don't YOU "A Toad Roady" tell us all about how YOU were violated as a child by a evil person of authority and why you now HATE everyone who you think has any kind of power over you.

You obviously HATE Law Enforcement Officers and anyone else who you think has power over you. Tell us "A Road Toady", do you hate Fire Men like you do Police Men?

Tell us "A Road Toady", we really want to help you with with this neurotic pathological hatered of anyone who you see as a potential "enemy" and role model.
A Toad Roady

Lincoln, CA

#17 May 24, 2013
Freeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Why don't YOU "A Toad Roady" tell us all about how YOU were violated as a child by a evil person of authority and why you now HATE everyone who you think has any kind of power over you.
Wow, you are a subservient repubican lemming aren’t you? Please show everyone where I ever said anything like you posted.

You seem to have a real imagination. Watch, here come them black heliocopiers.

We’re waiting ......
A Toad Roady

Lincoln, CA

#18 May 24, 2013
Timothy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lindsay -
Ask any Officer in the Butte County area and they will tell you this is not the first time Ponce has been written up.
I personally feel that getting rid of Robert Ponce was the best decision the Chico Police Department has made in a long time.
It appears as though the guy is a liability.
I don't understand how everyone is coming down on the Chico Police Department for firing an Officer who was falcifying reports and pocketing evidence .. and possibly cheating on his wife.
Possibly paying cash for 'services.'
I can't believe his wife would stick by a man who is giving another woman money.
I guess now she finally has some evidence in front of her.
Why is it that if I commit a crime everything I've ever done in my life prior to the offense becomes suspect butt this cop lies and everything he's done in the past stands?

Sacramento had a dirty cop doing some of the same things and the D.A. threw out all the prior convictions attributed to the dirty cop. Why not in Chico?

And about cheating on his wife, it's only wrong when a liberal does it. Butt that’s a whole other conversation.
The Infantile left Winged

Paradise, CA

#19 May 25, 2013
Timothy wrote:
<quoted text>
Lindsay -
They must be demorats!!!
A Toad Roady

Lincoln, CA

#20 May 27, 2013
The Infantile left Winged wrote:
<quoted text>
They must be demorats!!!
Sorry dude, most cops are repubicans!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richvale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
TRUMP'S Washington DC Hotel to hold MASSIVE Mus... 3 min BadBadBadTrump 1
President elect Trump 9 min GRANDPA NICOLAI 14
Industry is Moving jobs to AVOID Crazy Trump! 1 hr NoClueTrump 1
Proof Global Warming is All Fraud (Jul '15) 1 hr Wally Walrus 17
Electoral College REVOLT Tue GRANDPA NICOLAI 6
Trump To Open National Genetics Bank Mon Gomer 4
Trump ORDERS TAXATION on Religious Properties. Dec 4 Go4ItDonnie 1

Richvale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance