Is Glass Steagall Coming Back?

Is Glass Steagall Coming Back?

Posted in the Richvale Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Tea Party Solution

Oroville, CA

#1 Jul 12, 2013
A bipartisan group of senators led by Massachusetts freshman Democrat Elizabeth Warren introduced a bill Thursday to reinstate the Great Depression-era Glass-Steagall law that would separate commercial from investment banks.

Sens. John McCain, R-Ariz., Maria Cantwell, D-Wash., and Angus King, I-Maine, are co-sponsoring the measure.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/elizabeth-warre...

But the bill has almost no chance for passage. I wonder why?
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#2 Jul 12, 2013
Yep. It's too bad democrat president Bill Clinton signed the repeal of Glass Steagall into law back in 1999.
It took years for the real estate meltdown to eventually take place, butt, we can thank Bubba Clinton for the ensuing calamity.

Foreclosed: Blame Bill Clinton’s Repeal of Glass-Steagall

http://thestrangedeathofliberalamerica.com/fo...
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#3 Jul 13, 2013
>
>

Go and bark up another tree LOCOMORON....

Yeap. It is indeed too bad that Republicans Phil Gramm, Jim Leach and Thomas Bliley kowtowed to the banking industry and co-authored the law that overrode Glass-steagall...

Even today the T-Publican lobbyists, bought and paid for by the banking industry, are busy at work blocking the reinstatement of the Glass-Steagal act...
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#4 Jul 13, 2013
GRANDPA NICOLAI wrote:
>
>
Go and bark up another tree LOCOMORON....
Yeap. It is indeed too bad that Republicans Phil Gramm, Jim Leach and Thomas Bliley kowtowed to the banking industry and co-authored the law that overrode Glass-steagall...
Even today the T-Publican lobbyists, bought and paid for by the banking industry, are busy at work blocking the reinstatement of the Glass-Steagal act...
It could not have been made law without the signature of POTUS, and you know it.
Why do you lie and resort to namecalling when you are beaten?

Are you 12 years old or what?
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#5 Jul 13, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
It could not have been made law without the signature of POTUS, and you know it.
Why do you lie and resort to namecalling when you are beaten?
Are you 12 years old or what?
>
>
The bill would have never made it to the POTUS had not the Republicans written it and voted for it, and you should know it.... but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you exhibit the mentality of a 6 years old .
The right is wrong again

Lincoln, CA

#6 Jul 13, 2013
GRANDPA NICOLAI wrote:
<quoted text>
>
>
The bill would have never made it to the POTUS had not the Republicans written it and voted for it, and you should know it.... but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you exhibit the mentality of a 6 years old .
Hell, repubicans have pushed for deregulation of everything. They came up with the argument that no one was breaking those laws therefore they weren't needed.
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#7 Jul 14, 2013
The right is wrong again wrote:
<quoted text>
Hell, repubicans have pushed for deregulation of everything. They came up with the argument that no one was breaking those laws therefore they weren't needed.
>
>
Exactly, T publicans complain about every regulation and everything and everyone that keeps them safe in their home and out, but the second something goes wrong they whine that "someone should have done something..."
The right is wrong again

Lincoln, CA

#8 Jul 14, 2013
GRANDPA NICOLAI wrote:
<quoted text>
>
>
Exactly, T publicans complain about every regulation and everything and everyone that keeps them safe in their home and out, but the second something goes wrong they whine that "someone should have done something..."
And I'm tired of paying for their rights! Look at how they howl about "Defensible Zone" and Fire Safe" regulations and how they bitch about flood zone insurance requirements.

That is until their house burns down or washes away then they want government help.
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#9 Jul 14, 2013
GRANDPA NICOLAI wrote:
<quoted text>
>
>
The bill would have never made it to the POTUS had not the Republicans written it and voted for it, and you should know it.... but I will give you the benefit of the doubt since you exhibit the mentality of a 6 years old .
John McCain (R) is a good man. I am not surprised to see him trying to take care of the folks.

Don't be ridiculous about the repeal of Glass Steagall. A bill from congress can go round the world in eighty days, or have 40 million signatures on it, or it can flip upsidedown and spout wooden nickles.
It doesn't matter, and it is nothing....unless or until....POTUS signs it. Bill Clinton sign the repeal of Glass Steagall into law....period...end of story. No other one person could have done that...but POTUS.
And we all know that.....except for apologists and liars.

For a self professed educated man, you apparently do not understand basic democratic rules. There was no veto over ride in progress, in fact, Clinton actually lobbied to repeal glass steagall.

LOL...own it.
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#10 Jul 14, 2013
Educate yourself on how and why Glass Steagall came to be repealed.

Foreclosed: Blame Bill Clinton’s Repeal of Glass-Steagall

With the stroke of a pen, Bill Clinton ended an era that stretched back to William Jennings Bryan and Woodrow Wilson and reached fruition with FDR and Harry Truman. As he signed his name, in the whorls and dots of his pen strokes William Jefferson Clinton was also symbolically signing the death warrant of Liberal America and its core belief in the level playing field that had guided the Democratic Party. But it was the gift of the pen to Sanford Weill and its assuming an honored place on the Wall of Me that rubbed salt in the wound.In his famous First Inaugural Roosevelt pointedly asserted:

"Practices of the unscrupulous money changers stand indicted in the court of public opinion, rejected by the hearts and minds of men."

Now Clinton had not only repealed the act Roosevelt had put in place to curb those practices, but presented one of the pens used to sign it to one of those “money changers.”

http://thestrangedeathofliberalamerica.com/fo...
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#11 Jul 14, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
John McCain (R) is a good man. I am not surprised to see him trying to take care of the folks.
Don't be ridiculous about the repeal of Glass Steagall. A bill from congress can go round the world in eighty days, or have 40 million signatures on it, or it can flip upsidedown and spout wooden nickles.
It doesn't matter, and it is nothing....unless or until....POTUS signs it. Bill Clinton sign the repeal of Glass Steagall into law....period...end of story. No other one person could have done that...but POTUS.
And we all know that.....except for apologists and liars.
For a self professed educated man, you apparently do not understand basic democratic rules. There was no veto over ride in progress, in fact, Clinton actually lobbied to repeal glass steagall.
LOL...own it.
>
>
You would have had a modicum of credence had you been an apologist but since you are nothing but an ignorant liar you have none...

First off, POTUS does not have to sign a bill in order for it to become law...

Second, of course "there was no veto over ride in progress" that's because BOTH sides (Repuklicans and Democrats) voted overwhelmingly in favor of the bill...

The veto override move would have come had Clinton vetoed the bill .....
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#12 Jul 15, 2013
GRANDPA NICOLAI wrote:
<quoted text>
>
>
You would have had a modicum of credence had you been an apologist but since you are nothing but an ignorant liar you have none...
First off, POTUS does not have to sign a bill in order for it to become law...
Second, of course "there was no veto over ride in progress" that's because BOTH sides (Repuklicans and Democrats) voted overwhelmingly in favor of the bill...
The veto override move would have come had Clinton vetoed the bill .....
Clinton had no intention of a veto, in fact, he lobbyied to pass the repeal of Glass Steagall.
The facts are irrefutable and Clinton signed the repeal into law!!!

You cannot change history.........lololololol
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#13 Jul 15, 2013
btw, for those of you who know that there is a liar on this thread........

Congress can override a veto by passing the act by a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate.(Usually an act is passed with a simple majority.) This check prevents the President from blocking an act when significant support for it exists. Two-thirds is a high standard to meet—broad support for an act is needed to reach this threshold. The President’s veto power is significant because Congress rarely overrides vetoes—out of 1,484 regular vetoes since 1789, only 7.1%, or 106, have been overridden.1
If the President does not sign the bill within ten days it becomes law unless Congress has adjourned. If Congress adjourns before the President has signed the bill and the President does not want the bill to pass the President may simply fail to sign the bill. When this happens the bill does not become law (it is essentially vetoed). This is referred to as a “pocket veto.” Since Congress cannot vote while in adjournment a pocket veto cannot be overridden. 42% of all Presidential vetoes from 1789-2004 have been pocket vetoes.

Over riding a presidential veto is difficult at best. There is no way that the house/senate democrats would have gone against bubba Clinton in 1999.
Own it you irascible ole perverted socialist.

GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#14 Jul 15, 2013
Local wrote:
btw, for those of you who know that there is a liar on this thread........
Congress can override a veto by passing the act by a two-thirds vote in both the House and the Senate.(Usually an act is passed with a simple majority.) This check prevents the President from blocking an act when significant support for it exists. Two-thirds is a high standard to meet—broad support for an act is needed to reach this threshold. The President’s veto power is significant because Congress rarely overrides vetoes—out of 1,484 regular vetoes since 1789, only 7.1%, or 106, have been overridden.1
If the President does not sign the bill within ten days it becomes law unless Congress has adjourned. If Congress adjourns before the President has signed the bill and the President does not want the bill to pass the President may simply fail to sign the bill. When this happens the bill does not become law (it is essentially vetoed). This is referred to as a “pocket veto.” Since Congress cannot vote while in adjournment a pocket veto cannot be overridden. 42% of all Presidential vetoes from 1789-2004 have been pocket vetoes.
Over riding a presidential veto is difficult at best. There is no way that the house/senate democrats would have gone against bubba Clinton in 1999.
Own it you irascible ole perverted socialist.
>
>
Yes, we know there is a liar on these threads, and you are it, LOCO....

The bill overriding the Glass Steagal act was approved by the overwhelming majority of the Democrats AND Republicans in both, the House and the Senate....

Therefore, had President Bill Clinton gone against the will of the people and vetoed the measure, it would have been a cakewalk for Congress to override his veto....
Tea Party Solution

Chico, CA

#15 Jul 15, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Clinton had no intention of a veto, in fact, he lobbyied to pass the repeal of Glass Steagall.
The facts are irrefutable and Clinton signed the repeal into law!!!
You cannot change history.........lololololol
Enough about your one-sided view of history. The question is: Do you support the tea partiers in Congress who are fighting against this bill NOW?

Repubs received the majority of campaign 'donations' from Wall Streeters and the big banks in the last two election cycles. Repubs in Congress and in the state houses are fighting against Glass-Steagall and against most of the other financial safeguards introduced by dems.

Repubs would rather see another Great Recession than lose their campaign funding.

So, are you for or against a new Glass-Steagall bill?
Tea Party Solution

Chico, CA

#16 Jul 15, 2013
Tea Party Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough about your one-sided view of history. The question is: Do you support the tea partiers in Congress who are fighting against this bill NOW?
Repubs received the majority of campaign 'donations' from Wall Streeters and the big banks in the last two election cycles. Repubs in Congress and in the state houses are fighting against Glass-Steagall and against most of the other financial safeguards introduced by dems.
Repubs would rather see another Great Recession than lose their campaign funding.
So, are you for or against a new Glass-Steagall bill?
Still waiting to see how partisan you are...
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#17 Jul 16, 2013
Tea Party Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Enough about your one-sided view of history. The question is: Do you support the tea partiers in Congress who are fighting against this bill NOW?
Repubs received the majority of campaign 'donations' from Wall Streeters and the big banks in the last two election cycles. Repubs in Congress and in the state houses are fighting against Glass-Steagall and against most of the other financial safeguards introduced by dems.
Repubs would rather see another Great Recession than lose their campaign funding.
So, are you for or against a new Glass-Steagall bill?
Send me a link for the "new" glass steagall bill.
Unlike the liberal democrats who signed onto obamacare before reading it, I would like to see what's in this "new" bill.
The devil is in the details as we are finding out with the 1200 page obamacare fiasco.
Clinton sure screwed us all over by signing the repeal of Glass Steagall back in 1999. FDR must have rolled over in his grave.
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#18 Jul 16, 2013
Tea Party Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Still waiting to see how partisan you are...
This coming from an extreme left wing propagandist????
bwahahahahahaha

I must admit, you made me laugh out loud with that one.
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#19 Jul 16, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
This coming from an extreme left wing propagandist????
bwahahahahahaha
I must admit, you made me laugh out loud with that one.
>
>
"Propagandist" is your middle name but you are too transparent, making you not very good at it, which is perfectly fine because you are just enough of a half baked right wing evangelist to make all conservatives appear stupid....
GRANDPA NICOLAI

Chico, CA

#20 Jul 16, 2013
Local wrote:
<quoted text>
Send me a link for the "new" glass steagall bill.
Unlike the liberal democrats who signed onto obamacare before reading it, I would like to see what's in this "new" bill.
The devil is in the details as we are finding out with the 1200 page obamacare fiasco.
Clinton sure screwed us all over by signing the repeal of Glass Steagall back in 1999. FDR must have rolled over in his grave.
>
>
Why don't you do your own homework...?

Even if SOLUTION were kind enough to give you the link to the proposed Glass Steagal bill you would not read it just like you never read the Affordable Health care bill and even if you do read it you still will not be able to understand what you read because conservatives read with T stained glasses....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richvale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Proof Putin Loves Trump! 1 hr First Amendment 1
The Democrat-Russia Connection Uncovered 2 hr First Amendment 40
Where Is The Outrage? 9 hr Both Sides Now 12
I am smarter than anyone out here 11 hr Godfrey 1
Putin's Stooge!!! 12 hr Its Crazy Grandpa... 5
democrat Crime Syndiate Supports North Korea an... 13 hr Grandpa Luvs News... 1
The Clinton's Are The Ultimate Putin Puppets 13 hr Liberals Are Ment... 1

Richvale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richvale Mortgages