LaMalfa wants voters to reconsider hi...

LaMalfa wants voters to reconsider high speed rail

There are 20 comments on the Red Bluff Daily News story from Jan 25, 2011, titled LaMalfa wants voters to reconsider high speed rail. In it, Red Bluff Daily News reports that:

Sen. Doug LaMalfa is introducing state legislation that intends to put the brakes on the California high speed rail project.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Red Bluff Daily News.

jaline

Proberta, CA

#1 Jan 25, 2011
This high speed rail project is a boondoggle to help two cities: L.A. and San Francisco. The rest of us will just have to pay the bills as bonds are nothing but future debt which must be paid. You need to get from L.A. to S.F....catch a FLIGHT.
Unbelievable

Chico, CA

#2 Jan 25, 2011
It is fascinating when the government is so far in debt, that the marketing wizards can convince so many of the population that this project is really relevant today. Seems that we have a lot more pressing infrastructure issues that should be funded before we even consider this gilded canary!

Who wins? The bond brokers, the banks, the unions, at the expense of the general population.
Round Up Man

United States

#3 Jan 25, 2011
Typical wasteful government. This project should of been stopped before it even started.
R Gordon

Sacramento, CA

#4 Jan 25, 2011
I assume LaMalfa will also be calling for a suspension of all funding for road improvements in his district. We certainly wouldn't want to subsidize transportation, would we?
Save America

Redding, CA

#5 Jan 25, 2011
R Gordon wrote:
I assume LaMalfa will also be calling for a suspension of all funding for road improvements in his district. We certainly wouldn't want to subsidize transportation, would we?
Investing in road transportation is so much more commonsensical than a high speed train that will cost 81 billion dollars that it isn't even funny. Our state is broke. We have zilch funding, nada, nothing, zero, in the toilet. Look at TRAX here in Red Bluff. I never see more than 1 or 2 riders at any one time. Think of the cost to move that bus around. The driver's pay, the gas, the upkeep and the replacement costs are not even close to being worth its purpose. Funding public transportation in the city may be a push in terms of cost, but in the rural areas it is dumb and dumber. Let's let Doug know that this high speed train is a crazy idea.
Just me

Chico, CA

#6 Jan 25, 2011
Thank You Doug LaMalfa. This is just a big waste of money that this state can not afford.
HSRCALI

Winters, CA

#7 Jan 25, 2011
The last thing we need is some hypocrite teabagger that receives federal support in water subsidies for his rice crops TELLING the 30 million people that live on the coast and in the metropolitan areas how we should travel.. I really don't care what Red Bluff thinks I just found this on a Google Internet alert...AND anyone with the word United States behind their name is on a federal job or base using a computer paid for by taxpayers.NOW STOP WASTING MY MONEY AND GET TO WORK OR GET BACK TO DUTY !!!
Mick

United States

#8 Jan 25, 2011
HSRCALI wrote:
The last thing we need is some hypocrite teabagger that receives federal support in water subsidies for his rice crops TELLING the 30 million people that live on the coast and in the metropolitan areas how we should travel.. I really don't care what Red Bluff thinks I just found this on a Google Internet alert...AND anyone with the word United States behind their name is on a federal job or base using a computer paid for by taxpayers.NOW STOP WASTING MY MONEY AND GET TO WORK OR GET BACK TO DUTY !!!
Be careful now talking about subsidies, the Hollywood crowd gets their fare share also.

"States Weigh Cuts in Hollywood Subsidies"

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/20/business/me...
craig

Loyalton, CA

#9 Jan 25, 2011
The idea that all of the people in Calif should pay for a high speed rail that will benefit only those that live along the course that it travels is obsecene. We can no longer pay for the antics that the legislators want to put before the people in this state. It needs to be put back on the ballot and the people need to look at it again and see if they want this to take place, with all the rest of the stuff that is taking place here today.
DaysRnumbered

United States

#10 Jan 26, 2011
I sometimes wonder, when my grandchildren's grandchildren are finally able to take a trip on the newly completed 'high-speed rail', how many delays will they have to face because of the shoddy construction done on the tracks between SF and LA?!

(and I don't even have grandchildren yet).
DaysRnumbered

United States

#11 Jan 26, 2011
To gauge the time and money that will be spent on completing such a project in California, just use the Bay Bridge addition as an example.

Take the projected time and budget, and multiply by a factor of 10, and you'll have the final budget ceiling that will be broken by around 30% by the time of the ribbon-cutting ceremony.
DaysRnumbered

United States

#12 Jan 26, 2011
Considering the amount of state budget that will have to be directed to such a project, should this project continue forward and get completed, California can officially change its state motto to:

"First in high speed rail, 50th in education."
craig

United States

#13 Jan 26, 2011
This new debt that would be placed upon the people of Calif, would be about $1900 per capita. That would means that a family of 5 would be saddled with a debt to the state of $19500 for the foreseeable future. Who needs this?
Doc

Bow, NH

#14 Jan 26, 2011
"I think the voters deserve another look at this, LaMalfa said. If the voters had another chance at this, they would likely rescind it.

Rachel Wall, press secretary for the California High Speed Rail Authority, disagrees.

Wall said she could not speculate on the future success of LaMalfa's legislation, but said high speed rail has received overwhelming support from voters and California residents in the past. "

If Wall is right, she has nothing to lose and everything to gain in putting it on the ballot.

My guess? HSR goes down IN FLAMES!
Love to stir it up

United States

#16 Jan 26, 2011
HSRCALI wrote:
sounds like a san fransicko is upset lol. Poor thang. Won't get his his free transport to Los angeles and back if high speed waste don't get built. WAH WAH.
sanity

Redding, CA

#17 Jan 26, 2011
America is sinking behind the rest of the world by not modernizing our transportation methods. Do you really think you can keep driving your big vehicles forever?

We need jobs, projects and infrastructure renewal, not head in the sand backwardness.

So we spend more money on voting something that was already voted in. Sorry, but that would be another waste of money because it would be voted for again. Those of you who have lived in this area all your lives have no idea of the commuting needs of the rest of the state.

It is time for us to start thinking like modern people and addressing our modern issues.
craig

United States

#18 Jan 26, 2011
sanity wrote:
America is sinking behind the rest of the world by not modernizing our transportation methods. Do you really think you can keep driving your big vehicles forever?
We need jobs, projects and infrastructure renewal, not head in the sand backwardness.
So we spend more money on voting something that was already voted in. Sorry, but that would be another waste of money because it would be voted for again. Those of you who have lived in this area all your lives have no idea of the commuting needs of the rest of the state.
It is time for us to start thinking like modern people and addressing our modern issues.
Then let them address this idea from the fact that they will be the ones that benefit from it, and they are the ones that should pay for it. It would be just like the light rail that they put in Santa Clara county. The people there put an extra 1% on to their property taxes so as to pay for it. If this is how the areas that benefit from this HSR want to do it, then that is fine with me. I just don't think that the people that will never see any benefit from this should have to pay for it.
Ron Paul

United States

#19 Jan 26, 2011
sanity wrote:
We are sinking far behind in education , affordable health care ,public safety ,
affordable housing , unaffordable taxes ,roads and bridges are in bad shape ,maybe we need to prioritize .Is it backwards to actually think we should balance our check book ?
I love all these big ideas, but when you spend all your money on bloated payroll theirs nothing left to actually do anything .
sanity

Redding, CA

#20 Jan 27, 2011
Ron Paul and Craig,

You are right, we are sinking. That is why things have to change. We need new and cheaper transportation. Do you know how much is spent to maintain the freeways? The overused roads. Rapid transit is cheaper overall. That is why the rest of the world uses it. Do you know the price of asphalt? A sign of how poor we have become- if we were needing to build the freeways all over again, we wouldn't have the resources to do so.

The state of California is vast, and yes, money will be spent that benefits some and not others. All freeways benefit the people and companies that use them, yet we all pay for them.
Nick Knight

Peabody, MA

#21 Jan 30, 2011
Dumb voters keep voting until its the way the Right wing wants it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richvale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary Is To Sick To Be President 1 hr ANONYMOUS 3
Everyone HATES Hillary 2 hr ANONYMOUS 1
Time To Arrest Soros 14 hr Middle of the road 2
Benghazi Truth Coming Out 14 hr Bob Should Go Away 7
Is It Tme To Go To War With Mexico 14 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 1
Streisand Leaves America (Thank god) 15 hr Middle of the road 7
We Are Close - Keep Up The Good Work 16 hr Stay Away Bob 1

Richvale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance