Woman severely hurt in head-on crash ...

Woman severely hurt in head-on crash on Highway 99

There are 15 comments on the Chico Enterprise-Record story from Nov 29, 2009, titled Woman severely hurt in head-on crash on Highway 99. In it, Chico Enterprise-Record reports that:

A head-on collision involving two vehicles on Highway 99 near Highway 162 left a Sacramento woman severely injured Saturday night.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chico Enterprise-Record.

Another Chico Alum

Menlo Park, CA

#1 Nov 29, 2009
It's unknown who is at fault???????
Magalia resident

AOL

#2 Nov 29, 2009
Another Chico Alum wrote:
It's unknown who is at fault???????
I know, theres some investigative reporting for you,lol. On a serious note (because its OBVIOUS whos at fault), I sincerely hope the lady is doing ok and gets better soon.
another 99 wreck

Chico, CA

#3 Nov 29, 2009
You have to realize that the CHP have to investigate this and they can not accuse until this has been done. Plus with the stellar reporting of the ER, well, we may never know what exactly happened.
Magalia resident

AOL

#4 Nov 29, 2009
another 99 wreck wrote:
You have to realize that the CHP have to investigate this and they can not accuse until this has been done. Plus with the stellar reporting of the ER, well, we may never know what exactly happened.
BUT, we do know exactly what happened. Some guy got tired of being behind a bigrig and tried to pass it, he was in the wrong lane and hit the lady head on IN HER LANE. I do undestand what you are saying though. Until a thurough investigation by the chp happens, there will be no charges (maybe not anyway)and nothing is official.
Sane Chicoan

Shingle Springs, CA

#5 Nov 29, 2009
It take it when the passing driver admits he couldn't see her because of a "blind spot," he was on a curve or otherwise unable to see a safe distance ahead when he started to pass. Really stupid.
G MAN

Chico, CA

#6 Nov 29, 2009
Maybe the driver's wife knocked him around a little bit then distracted him by smashing out the rear window with a 9-iron.Uhhh,that's it!
David Allen

United States

#8 Nov 29, 2009
The writer of this story has a blind spot also. Where does the ER get these 'reporters'? At least there were no glaring spelling errors.
Mercy

Chico, CA

#9 Nov 29, 2009
HWY 99 is continuing to have the same
problem over and over for some reason,
drivers take more daring chances at
higher speeds and try to pass not just
one but sometimes two to three vehicles
at one time! This HWY should not be allowed
to pass anymore if this continues to be the
main problem.
Carl

Chico, CA

#10 Nov 29, 2009
If you drive the 99 gauntlet, sounds like the bigger your defense-vehicle the better. Watch out for the impatient passers, willing to risk their lives and yours to make their destination a few minutes earlier, at any cost.
brendafrombiggs

Oroville, CA

#11 Nov 29, 2009
i drive this route several times a week, and i can tell you i dont care how fast i am driving, someone has to pass me. i can be doing 75 mph, and there they go, passing me like i'm sitting still. and even though a lot of these drivers are young people (college age) some are well into their 50's and should realize we are not immortal.
CHP

United States

#12 Nov 29, 2009
brendafrombiggs wrote:
i drive this route several times a week, and i can tell you i dont care how fast i am driving, someone has to pass me. i can be doing 75 mph, and there they go, passing me like i'm sitting still. and even though a lot of these drivers are young people (college age) some are well into their 50's and should realize we are not immortal.
I understand your point about people passing but why are you going 75 on that stretch of road? If everybody slowed down the roads would be much safer.
the other wow

Chico, CA

#14 Nov 30, 2009
what some daring people do not seem to realize is the 35 seconds you save by passing a speed limit obeying vehicle in front of you can cost a life. Sometimes that life is not your own and you get to live with the guilt of not only taking a life, but the changing of many lives of all of those involved.

There is no finish line...Sit back and relax, no one ever needs to get there first.
olivetown

Chico, CA

#15 Nov 30, 2009
It seems like those absent minded drivers that have to wrecklessly pass everyone either don't think or care about something going wrong until it does, and if something does happen badly and they survive it they probably wouldn't change their ways anyhow.
George

United States

#16 Nov 30, 2009
I wish the innocent victim a speedy recovery. I would venture to say the daredevil driver's statement about a blind spot is due to driver tailgating the big truck. May I suggest to any and all amateur drivers who share the road with large Class 8 trucks who have a gross vehicle weight of 80,000 lbs., hey get a clue. These trucks don't do anything quick including stop, think about this when you cut in front of a large truck. Like when you pass and then pull right back in the lane, this may be the last time for you. Is the gamble worth your life or the life of others, SLOW DOWN & ARRIVE ALIVE.
its never enough

Loomis, CA

#17 Dec 1, 2009
The incident in question is close to me, and a well known spot for head-ons and roll overs from people passing unsafely, 4 or 5 serious accidents a year in the space of 1/2 mile. It's between a couple of low rolling hills with line of sight limited to at best a mile.

Part of the current highway "improvment" is to remove the hills to improve line of sight, and widen the shoulders. It might help the innocent when the are forced of the road by the un-thinking.
My pet peeve is that the car traffic speed limit is 65 and the traffic flow is more like 70 or more. Truck traffic speed limit is still 55, and is mostly a tick under 60 for that stretch.

Recipe for disaster.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richvale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
why to tards think big spoons makes you fat? 1 hr Mourning One 274
When was last Conservative Riot? 3 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 2
We democrats Are Screwed 3 hr GRANDPA NICOLAI 16
Boycott And Protest Anything Rob Reiner 11 hr The Smart Citizens 1
WHY conservatives are LOSERS 11 hr GRANDPA makes the... 8
Blob Buttholand Twitter 13 hr The Truth 3
California approves FREE cel phones for the poo... (Dec '12) 16 hr Mr Watson 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richvale Mortgages