Concerned

Binghamton, NY

#1 Jul 16, 2007
has anyone been following the wind turbine issue in Richmondville? If the answer is no, that's understandable. The Town Board is doing everything they can to keep the negotiations with the wind tower company secret. There is a test tower up in town in an area that is zoned R. In that zone, wind turbines would not be allowed. So to fix that the Town Board has appointed the very landowner trying to erect the towers to a committee charged with rewriting the zoning! Can you say "conflict of interest"? The Town Board has also been meeting with the wind Tower company WITHOUT posting those meetings as is required under the New York Open Meetings Law. So if a dozen 60" high wind towers appears on the property next to yours, don't be shocked. Sneaky business as ususal in Richmondville.
Upstate 1000

Binghamton, NY

#2 Jul 16, 2007
Unfortunately, Richmondville has a history of the worst kind of small town politics influenced by a small group of insiders. The local politicians hate debate, hate to be questioned. I'll bet the wind turbine deals get made long before the public gets a chance to ask questions. I wonder how those people who will be living next to the towers will feel when their property values go down and all they hear and see is those towers.
Ms D

Albany, NY

#3 Jul 16, 2007
Perhaps you (or someone who also has this info) should write a letter to the Times Journal News to inform citizens about this issue. I could do without another story on some 1930 event. This is the type of information that should be newsworthy.
Concerned 2

Fairport, NY

#4 Aug 2, 2007
There are some people actively working on getting the word out before the public hearing occurs to have the zoning changed. If the people do not respond - a small group of people will have their way at the expense of others - typical RVille style.
Ms D

Albany, NY

#5 Aug 6, 2007
Received a card in the mail today regarding this situation. According to the mailing, there is interest by local gov't to allow 35-40 200+ foot wind towers in the West Fulton Road area. It also states that wind towers are not allowed under the current zoning law, though the town is working with the out of area utility company to change this - allowing wind towers anywhere. Richmondville meets every 2nd Thursday. Fulton meets every 2nd Monday. There are archived threads regarding wind farms in upstate NY on www.city-data.com in the forums area under New York State.
Ms D

Albany, NY

#6 Aug 6, 2007
Here is link to more info regarding wind turbines. http://www.westerncatskillpreservationallianc...
Ms D

Albany, NY

#7 Aug 6, 2007
Sorry for so many consecutive posts, but I will post articles and info as I find them. Another article concerning the lack of public info from Richmondville concerning wind turbines http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2007/08/06/the...
Don Airey

Albany, NY

#8 Aug 10, 2007
Concerned wrote:
has anyone been following the wind turbine issue in Richmondville? If the answer is no, that's understandable. The Town Board is doing everything they can to keep the negotiations with the wind tower company secret. There is a test tower up in town in an area that is zoned R. In that zone, wind turbines would not be allowed. So to fix that the Town Board has appointed the very landowner trying to erect the towers to a committee charged with rewriting the zoning! Can you say "conflict of interest"? The Town Board has also been meeting with the wind Tower company WITHOUT posting those meetings as is required under the New York Open Meetings Law. So if a dozen 60" high wind towers appears on the property next to yours, don't be shocked. Sneaky business as ususal in Richmondville.
Well, we;ve been following this debacle.

In fact, the Board called a meeting on a Tuesday, for a Thursday at 4:30 in the afternoon and called it a "Wind Workshop".

Reunion is making a presentation on this Project to the Fulton Town Board on Monday, August 13 @ 7:30 at the Fulton Town Hall.

We are trying to get as many people as possble there to get involved and show support against this project!!

Be there and show you are tired of the same old politcis in R-Ville and let the Town Supervisor, Betsy Bernocco know!!

Attend Board Meetings and write to the County and complain about their tacrtics. They even want to remove the noice regulations from the "new" ordinance.

These folks are operating as a secret socieyt and must be questioned.

Don
Don Airey

Albany, NY

#9 Aug 10, 2007
Concerned wrote:
A new post-

The towers Reunion Energy is trying to force on us in many places in Schoharie County are 410 feet tall with an aviation beacon that will be on all night. The noise is significant, as well.

Reunion is also in Jefferson, NY, attempting the same stuff.

Get invloved!! These folks are bad news!!!
Ms D

Albany, NY

#10 Aug 11, 2007
Is there an organized grassroots watchdog effort yet? If not, perhaps there should be. Seems like something that would need to be put together fairly quickly considering how sneaky the county and the town politicians are.
Get the Facts

Fairport, NY

#11 Aug 13, 2007
Ms D wrote:
Sorry for so many consecutive posts, but I will post articles and info as I find them. Another article concerning the lack of public info from Richmondville concerning wind turbines http://www.wind-watch.org/news/2007/08/06/the...
Here are some other links from both sides, http://stopillwind.org/
http://www.vermonterswithvision.org/index.htm...
http://www.eere.energy.gov/windandhydro/windp...

wind companies tromp around as "environmentalists" and uninformed people jump on the bandwagon but the companies are after one thing only....PROFITS FOR INVESTORS THAT DO NOT LIVE NEAR THESE PROJECTS!!!
Ms D

Albany, NY

#12 Aug 13, 2007
There are many video on YouTube concerning the Wind Turbine issue. This one was very interesting

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmondville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Dr. Ann Deakin receives GIS Lifetime Achievemen... Nov 15 Proud 1
berkshire farm (Apr '14) Oct 30 Brian 15
Who do you support for U.S. House in New York (... (Oct '10) Oct 25 obama the clown 16
Break ins at Local Businesses Oct 25 Diana Barber 1
bill diamond (Nov '13) Oct 22 Roger 86
signs on 7 Oct '14 Woody 3
Stewarts customers know everything about everyone Sep '14 nosey ppl 1
Richmondville Dating
Find my Match

Richmondville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Richmondville News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Richmondville

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]