First Prev
of 3
Next Last
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#43 Dec 6, 2012
jdaffron wrote:
<quoted text>
If a person is going to drink, it simply doesn't matter whether it's private or state controlled.
State controlled is a cash cow...private control is more money in their pocket.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#44 Dec 6, 2012
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
There you go again,putting words into this that i did not say.Please tell me where i said anything about "private" or "proabition" in either of my 2 posts.
Suffering from "romnesia" perhaps..........

Since: Sep 11

Location hidden

#46 Dec 6, 2012
new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
State controlled is a cash cow...private control is more money in their pocket.
Actually the entire "premise" of privatization was that the state could get out of the booze business and that private concerns could sell it and the consumers could get it for less while generating the same $$ for the state. Unfortunately, what they found was that wasn't true, regardless of any funny accounting that McD's people tried. It just wasn't true and wouldn't work. State sales generate and GIVE BACK to the state $230+MM/year. Going private meant having the sales + taxes = the missing $230MM+/year.

ABC would lose the stores and retail personnel; only the retail managers and asst. managers were full time anyway; all other store personnel were pt. and hourly. They'd still have some admin personnel + about a 50-100% increase in enforcement personnel + accounting + keeping the warehouseing and distribution in order to cut down on possible criminal elements.

To be able to generate the equal income coming in, tax on booze would go up; ergo prices would go up, ergo consumers would actually pay more, not less for booze.

That's why McDs fuzzy accounting from his distributor contributors never added up and why the members of the GA realized that there would be a shortfall of revenue, NOT an even or greater amount. Plus, they didn't want it coming back on them in spades after McD left office and they've got a budget shortfall due to his actions, which would be for YEARS to come.

Yeah, the GA didn't want to give up the cash cow. Why would they?

Since: Feb 10

Midlothian, VA

#47 Dec 7, 2012
jdaffron wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually the entire "premise" of privatization was that the state could get out of the booze business and that private concerns could sell it and the consumers could get it for less while generating the same $$ for the state. Unfortunately, what they found was that wasn't true, regardless of any funny accounting that McD's people tried. It just wasn't true and wouldn't work. State sales generate and GIVE BACK to the state $230+MM/year. Going private meant having the sales + taxes = the missing $230MM+/year.
ABC would lose the stores and retail personnel; only the retail managers and asst. managers were full time anyway; all other store personnel were pt. and hourly. They'd still have some admin personnel + about a 50-100% increase in enforcement personnel + accounting + keeping the warehouseing and distribution in order to cut down on possible criminal elements.
To be able to generate the equal income coming in, tax on booze would go up; ergo prices would go up, ergo consumers would actually pay more, not less for booze.
That's why McDs fuzzy accounting from his distributor contributors never added up and why the members of the GA realized that there would be a shortfall of revenue, NOT an even or greater amount. Plus, they didn't want it coming back on them in spades after McD left office and they've got a budget shortfall due to his actions, which would be for YEARS to come.
Yeah, the GA didn't want to give up the cash cow. Why would they?
Partially correct. There was no increase in the accounting or law enforcement areas planned and the actual amount of net profit was $324 million last year and is expected to be higher this year according to the annual report and news briefs.

The state research team came up $80 million short and the legislature said no, 2 years in a row.

Location hidden

#48 Dec 7, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
Partially correct. There was no increase in the accounting or law enforcement areas planned and the actual amount of net profit was $324 million last year and is expected to be higher this year according to the annual report and news briefs.
The state research team came up $80 million short and the legislature said no, 2 years in a row.
My bad. I thought I had read during all of the mess that there WAS to be an increase in enforcement, which would make sense IF the # of outlets increased nearly 3x and needed in order to enforce the laws with the private outlets, and accounting, which would be needed to deal with revenues coming in. ABC actually has a very small staff of accountants and auditers as it is.
Colt 45

Charlottesville, VA

#49 Dec 7, 2012
Now if they would also legalize marijuana they would really be rolling in the money.

Midlothian, VA

#50 Dec 7, 2012
jdaffron wrote:
<quoted text>
My bad. I thought I had read during all of the mess that there WAS to be an increase in enforcement, which would make sense IF the # of outlets increased nearly 3x and needed in order to enforce the laws with the private outlets, and accounting, which would be needed to deal with revenues coming in. ABC actually has a very small staff of accountants and auditers as it is.
LOL Agreed, but since when has the state government EVER been logical?

The Enforcement division lost 15 unfilled "Special Agent" positions last session of the legislature. They are at the lowest number of agents since 1994.

Location hidden

#51 Dec 7, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL Agreed, but since when has the state government EVER been logical?
The Enforcement division lost 15 unfilled "Special Agent" positions last session of the legislature. They are at the lowest number of agents since 1994.
which means IF they had gone private (not in this century) they would have to kept them + funded more.:-)
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#52 Dec 7, 2012
Colt 45 wrote:
Now if they would also legalize marijuana they would really be rolling in the money.
What and see what happens in other States..before give "mary jane" the thumbs. I'm willing to argue its a losing proposition...the damn simple folks can't even handle cigarettes and booze. One State will be higher and another State will be lower. Who wants to put their life in the hands of a pot head?
Colt 45

Warrenton, VA

#53 Dec 7, 2012
new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
What and see what happens in other States..before give "mary jane" the thumbs. I'm willing to argue its a losing proposition...the damn simple folks can't even handle cigarettes and booze. One State will be higher and another State will be lower. Who wants to put their life in the hands of a pot head?
What's the difference,both are mind altering substances.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

#54 Dec 7, 2012
Colt 45 wrote:
<quoted text>
What's the difference,both are mind altering substances.
Men and women are so screwed up now without the shyt...it'll get even worse when society becomes more foolish in allowing that junk to further ruin their minds. I'll just invest in treament centers and make more money than winning the lottery.

Midlothian, VA

#55 Dec 7, 2012
new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
Men and women are so screwed up now without the shyt...it'll get even worse when society becomes more foolish in allowing that junk to further ruin their minds. I'll just invest in treament centers and make more money than winning the lottery.
What is your excuse for your mental deficiency no-show? No excuse for your stupidity.

You invest in nothing except knee pads nothead.
Me myself and I

Charlottesville, VA

#56 Dec 7, 2012
jdaffron wrote:
<quoted text>
But most, if not all the stores selling liquor would already be regulated by the ABC as sellers of wine and beer.

A huge chunk of the $300 million is from wholesale sales to restaurants and isn't in any way impacted by whether the ABC stores are privatized or not.
S4ASUPERIOR2UX2

Princeton, WV

#57 Dec 10, 2012
Justin wrote:
<quoted text>
A literal legal gray area isn't it?
+tively!

Richmond, VA

#58 Dec 10, 2012
Me myself and I wrote:
<quoted text>
But most, if not all the stores selling liquor would already be regulated by the ABC as sellers of wine and beer.
A huge chunk of the $300 million is from wholesale sales to restaurants and isn't in any way impacted by whether the ABC stores are privatized or not.
I doubt a mom and pop store would or could offer the same discount to restaurants as the state would.

Location hidden

#59 Dec 11, 2012
va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
I doubt a mom and pop store would or could offer the same discount to restaurants as the state would.
Nor the variety needed for a restaurant, unless it was a hole in the wall that had a mini-bar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gang stalking and psychological harassment in R... Fri aep rookery 7
One Dead, One in Custody after Broad Street Sta... (Oct '09) Fri melody colombus 23
Review: Lava Smoke Tobacco & Gift Inc (Feb '13) Thu lavasmoke 4
'Just Let People Have Their Beliefs': Blaze Rea... Dec 17 Phyllis Schlafly ... 13
Child's Privacy at Extreme Risk if Common Core ... Dec 16 The Commentator 1
Local Gay Rights Advocates Fight Controversial ... Dec 15 Rainbow Kid 5
Mr. Cheney--You Are a Piece of C--P Part 1 Dec 14 The Commentator 1
Richmond Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Richmond People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Richmond News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Richmond

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]