Vehicle crash SUV and garbage truck on 288 Powhattan Virginia; SUV ...

Full story: WTVR 18
All lanes are closed on Route 288 south at the James River Bridge due to a vehicle accident. Full Story
They got it wrong

Richmond, VA

#1 Sep 28, 2010
The driver of the SUV couldn't avoid hitting a stationay vehicle?

Was he sleeping or texting? And how did the truck driver get a reckless driving charge and improper stopping? Rither you are driving or you're not driving.
wait for facts

Richmond, VA

#2 Sep 28, 2010
They got it wrong wrote:
The driver of the SUV couldn't avoid hitting a stationay vehicle?
Was he sleeping or texting? And how did the truck driver get a reckless driving charge and improper stopping? Rither you are driving or you're not driving.
You are assuming the trash was at a complete stationary stop and not moving. The article says the truck came to a stop to pick up a bag, the facts could be the truck applied it brakes to stop then got hit, never coming to a complete stationary stop. So in that light yes the truck driver would be charged. No different from the car in front of you suddenly slamming on its brakes and causing you to hit them. Wait for the complete facts before jumping to a conclusion. Remember the media never gives out all the complete facts. Also remember the police will never give the media the complete facts either, just those to post the story.
Frantic Garbage Man

Midlothian, VA

#4 Sep 28, 2010
I heard the driver of the Garbage truck on the phone with whom I can only imagine was his supervisor or dispatcher. He said the bag flew out of the back of the truck, and that was why he had to stop so abruptly...but the bag not being properly secured would also be his fault. My best guess is that the driver of the SUV swerved to avoid the bag and the garbage truck, but didn't succeed. It doesn't make sense that the garbage truck driver would stop on the left shoulder of a bridge no less, rather than pull over less than an eighth of a mile south where there is a proper shoulder. The accident was caused by the irresponsibility of the garbage truck driver, and as a result, the driver of the SUV lay nearly lifeless and bleeding out on the highway until Emergency responders were able to arrive. I pray that he is okay, but from what I saw, it didn't seem likely.
Mike

Richmond, VA

#5 Sep 28, 2010
"Wait for fact"- I travel 288 quite a bit and people drive that Highway as if its no speed limit and they own the thing. There is such a thing called following to close. Maybe if the SUV driver was paying attention and watch what was going on he would have seen the brake lights on the Trash Truck which is probably 2 "twice" the size of the SUV. He may have even tried to beat traffic and cut someone off and it was too late for him too stop. All of that has to be accouted for.
wait for facts

Richmond, VA

#6 Sep 28, 2010
Mike wrote:
"Wait for fact"- I travel 288 quite a bit and people drive that Highway as if its no speed limit and they own the thing. There is such a thing called following to close. Maybe if the SUV driver was paying attention and watch what was going on he would have seen the brake lights on the Trash Truck which is probably 2 "twice" the size of the SUV. He may have even tried to beat traffic and cut someone off and it was too late for him too stop. All of that has to be accouted for.
I agree with you, as I was saying the full complete facts are not out yet. But even if the SUV driver was speeding or following to closely, the truck driver still should not be stopping in the middle of the road in front of those speeding drivers. If he normally drives that route then he should have known how dangerous stopping there could be. As stated by Frantic above, he could have gone a little further down the road and pulled off onto the full shoulder. Please dont misconstrue my comments as defending or taking one side over the other, all I am saying is get all the facts before judging. The first poster seems to think the driver of the trash truck did nothing wrong and should not have been charged. Had the SUV driver been charged I am sure there would be those sitting here saying the trash truck driver should be charged for stopping. You can't have it both ways.
JIm

Richmond, VA

#7 Sep 28, 2010
Drivers have to many distraction these days. texting, talking on the phone. Lap tops in there face, What happened to driving be a privilidge ? People just don't take driving as a danger anymore. Hope the driver is okay. I pass people all the time that look as if they are dead behind the wheel of a car and I am thinking let me get past this person.
Janly Jaggard

Raleigh, NC

#8 Sep 28, 2010
I was at the scene of this wreck with a minute or so of it happening. i saw the trash bag in the road; i saw a huge chunk of the SUV under the rear of the garbage truck; I saw the SUV with it's side ripped off and facing north in the left lane and then i saw the body if the injured laying on the road with a very bloody face. No one was with the injured; no one was taking care of the injured it seemed to me. I saw one man who had pulled over trying to clear debris out of the road; I saw the man i assume was the trash truck driver walking towards his truck while talking on the phone. I could not understand why the person was lying there alone and unattended. I understand that more harm than good can be done by moving the injured but to lay there alone with no one to comfort you or to stay with them seemed impossible. I could only assume it was already obvious the injured was beyond comfort. I am so thankful to read there is some chance of live. The sight of that person laying in the road alone is haunting me. Having read the report I wonder if the trash bag that fell off the truck had flown into the windscreen of the SUV and caused the driver to lose control of the car.
Judy

Glen Allen, VA

#9 Sep 28, 2010
I'm going to have to hear more about this one to judge, but I can't tell you how many times I have seen people get rear ended and it the rear enders fault for following to closely.

If say a child had ran in front of the garbage truck and he had to stop suddenly would he still have been charged? Or would the driver of the SUV had been at fault?

And yes people are often preoccupied with other stuff when accidents like this happen. People need to remember you never know when the car ahead of you may stop suddenly, for any reason, stop following to closely.

“Sun worshiper”

Since: Jul 10

Midlothian

#10 Sep 28, 2010
Man in trash truck try to do right thing. No good deed goes unpunished you know. next time he should keep on truckin and leave the trash behind to cause accidents. What he care he gone by then.
JK from Short Pump VA

Richmond, VA

#11 Sep 28, 2010
I also drove past the accident shortly after it happened. I saw what you saw. I didn't realize there was a man in the road at first. Then as I past the truck, I saw him all alone and assumed he must be dead because no one was with him. I immediately called 911.
I was so shaken up by the time I got to the school where I teach that I couldn't stand up to get out of my own car. The thought of the man all alone... and I realized that I was running a minute or two late, so it could have been me!
I wonder if the other people on the scene thought he was dead, and that is why they were not attending to him. All I know is that I've spent the entire day praying for his family and the man from the garbage truck. I can't imagine how he must feel right now. It's just so awful.
I definitely appreciate each moment with my own family more today. Life is so fagile. It really doesn't impact you how fragile it really is until you see something like this.
Do something about it

Midlothian, VA

#12 Sep 28, 2010
Wow so far 2 people have written about how they saw this person laying in the street alone but they just kept on going...... I pray that if this ever happened to me or one of my family members or friends that someone would stop & help, not just keep on driving....
Paige

Richmond, VA

#13 Sep 28, 2010
Do something about it wrote:
Wow so far 2 people have written about how they saw this person laying in the street alone but they just kept on going...... I pray that if this ever happened to me or one of my family members or friends that someone would stop & help, not just keep on driving....
The accident occurred on the other side of the bridge, you can't stop.
JK from Short Pump VA

Richmond, VA

#14 Sep 29, 2010
Paige wrote:
<quoted text>
The accident occurred on the other side of the bridge, you can't stop.
Actually, when I drove by, it was on my side of bridge, so I was 10 feet away from the injured man. I didn't stop because 1.) He looked dead the way he was lying there in blood and 2.) There were four other people on the scene already.

So if I did stop, it would have created an even bigger traffic jam, causing potentially more problems. I am not an EMT nor do I have any medical training. So I could not offer any professional help to this man. As I drove away, the only thing going through my mind was that he must be dead and that was why no one was stopping to care for him.

I was totally shocked to get home later that day and find out on-line that he was still alive. Trust me, if I had known he was still alive and no one else was comforting him, I would have pulled over to aid him and pray with him.

I wonder if the others didn't know he was in the road at the moment I drove past. Maybe he was in the car after the crash, but semi-conscience. Maybe he tried to get out and walk, but collapsed and the others didn't realize it yet. I can only imagine.

I wish I knew who he was so I could go visit him in the hospital or comfort his family. I haven't found any updated reports yet.
JK from Short Pump VA

Richmond, VA

#15 Sep 29, 2010
I just found the name of the man injured on NBC12 website. I've cut and pasted the info below:

A 1999 Land Rover struck the trash truck in the rear. The driver, Gregory J. Briehl, 56, suffered serious life-threatening injuries in the crash and was flown by Virginia State Police Med-flight to Virginia Commonwealth University Medical Center. Briehl was wearing his safety belt.

Full Link: http://www.nbc12.com/Global/story.asp...

It says he was wearing his seat belt. I doubt anyone on the scene would have tried to remove him from the vehicle themselves, so maybe he did get out and try to walk before anyone knew he had done it.

And the news media has the time wrong. It was earlier than 9:30 AM. It would have been closer to 9:10 or 9:15 AM when this happened. I left my house at 9:08 and it takes me about 5 minutes to get to the spot where this happened.
CLM

Richmond, VA

#16 Sep 29, 2010
I agree, it was well before 9:30am because when I drove by around 9:40 there were already multiple emergency vehicles on the scene. As I drove northbound, the EMTs were raising the stretcher with the injured man strapped in. I watched the news reports at 10pm last night hoping for an update, and unless I happened to miss it, the news station did not even report on the accident, which surprised me. Instead of focusing so much on the national news, I would rather know if this local resident survived.
Woody

Chesterfield, VA

#17 Sep 29, 2010
What was he thinking?
BGI

Powhatan, VA

#18 Sep 29, 2010
I was not there but have heard the SUV did not even brake and witnesses say he was preoccupied with what appeared to be texting. Very unfortunate accident that is being blamed on the trash truck driver. Maybe my facts are wrong too but the news should do a better job of getting all the facts. Just as they originally said it was a 'waste management' truck and it was not.
chester

Chester, VA

#19 Oct 21, 2011
JK from Short Pump VA wrote:
<quoted text>
1.) He looked dead the way he was lying there in blood and 2.) There were four other people on the scene already.
.....As I drove away, the only thing going through my mind was that he must be dead and that was why no one was stopping to care for him. Trust me, if I had known he was still alive and no one else was comforting him...
In your previous post you said you called 911 Iím just wondering why you would call them. If you believed the man was dead what could EMT do?? It makes logical sense that you see the man and know he needs help but you tell yourself he must be dead so you didnít feel bad about driving past. People need to stop pointing fingers in this world if you couldnít or didnít fine thereís no need to post how others didnít either.
You could have been the one person to hold this manís hand while he was still warm (if he was dead) something his loved ones could never do and you would have had the honor of it. Meet his family as they arrive and uplift them. When a death occurs it hurts more than one you could have touched many lifeís that day if he was dead or not!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ISIS Already in U.S. 13 hr nonewhammers 3
Citizens of 7th Congressional District NOW HAVE... 13 hr hummertime 3
Yes There us Taxation without Representation 13 hr no hammer time 4
Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 13 hr AreYouSaying 3
Obama/Congress Made Wrong Move Dealing with ISIS 13 hr Stewart 3
cherise.... where are you when i need you? 13 hr Tumlin 2
A Factor Not Considered when Dealing with Ebola... 13 hr Boaty 8
Richmond Dating
Find my Match

Richmond Jobs