VA Senate Panel Again Kills Gun Show Loophole Bill

Full story: NBC29 Charlottesville

A Virginia Senate committee has again killed legislation to close the so-called "gun show loophole." The Courts of Justice Committee voted 11-3 to reject the measure Monday.
Comments
41 - 60 of 279 Comments Last updated Mar 15, 2013
sez you

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Boodreau wrote:
<quoted text>Alcohol drinkers how many children were physically and emotionally abused last nite by drunken parents or guardians. How many were molested or injured in alcohol related crashes. Are you prepared to call for prohibition to save children from irresponsible drinkers?
We can't fix everything but we can stop the mindless slaughter of children by guns, but I guess thats OK by you, keep buying those guns and bullets and you support the carnage that slaughters innocent children every day.

Since: Aug 10

Gladys, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
there ya go, 39.5
Yes, and remind me again how closing the "gun show loophole" (which doesn't exist, but let's assume it does for the sake of argument) and/or "enhanced" background checks would decrease that number?
huck

Charlottesville, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Eternity325 wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, and remind me again how closing the "gun show loophole" (which doesn't exist, but let's assume it does for the sake of argument) and/or "enhanced" background checks would decrease that number?
If we register all guns we can trace those used illegally and hopefully stop continuing proliferation from that source.
Voice of Reality

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
google found it in less than one second, how long did it take you to tpye your post
OK, no problem, you found it. The next question would have to be is why is this relevant to any conversation about the supposed gun show loophole bill in Virginia? The North Carolina incident was a factor where laws and rules were in place to stop situations like this and by either police being in derelection of their duty or other problems enforcing current laws the accident happened. The same was the case in the Ohio situation. In Indiana, the accident was a moot point as it did not actually happen at the show but after when the person was walking to his car.

This is proof of what I have always stated, there are plenty of gun controling laws on the books, the real problem is when these laws are not enforced. There also lies a bigger problem in the mental health care system as well as both adult and child welfare programs and this is with workers within not wishing or incapable of doing their jobs. Many of the shooters in these mass shootings such as Columbine and Virginia Tech. The shooters were fringe people who dispite showing anti social and aggressive behavior were allowed to either purchase and or have access to a gun.

Again, as I have always stated, a gun can NOT kill anything or anybody, it takes an evil or deranged person to kill another person using a gun as a tool.

Also, if we need to talk about the control of things that kill massive amounts of people, why are we not having a discussion about any car that can go over 55MPH?
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Areyoukiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
No, but can a felon by a weapon in a gun store? No, but he can at a gun show because there are no back ground checks required.
What background check and a range of red flags stopped Adam Lanza. I don't think he was even a felon to start with .

None of the LAWS stopped him .

Time to try something that at least slows him down .
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
Wrong as usual no-show. You never get the facts straight.
The owner of the shotgun didn't just open the case and the gun fired. The idiot took a LOADED gun into the show and when he removed it from the case, he handled it improperly (like Idiot Joe Morressy did) with his finger on the trigger and it discharged. It did not fire all by itself.
It was not intentional nor an accident, but a negligent discharge.
Sadly, idiots like you do own guns nothead. That incident is proof positive.
same damn thing.....the gun fired. thats how innocent ppl. get killed when you clowns don't know proper gun safety.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Guardian wrote:
How can you have a bill to get rid of something that doesn't exist. There is no loophole therefore there is no Bill,...... D.O.A.
Get used to it Liberal Gun Grabbers of Virginia, whatever name you want to go by, you know who you are, and guess what, so do we.
we'll take it a step further...the gun shows will get banned.... problem solved.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that you can provide documentation for your statement? I have only attended one NC show as I can not (as a Va. resident) purchase guns at a NC show, however, I can tell you that at all Va. shows if you bring a gun to a show a very profesional Va. police officer will look at the gun to make sure it is unloaded and then place a device on the gun that keep you from loading it. This happens whether the gun is out in the open or in a case.
I await your time, date and documented details of the NC shooting to prove your credibility. You know things that can be accessed for verification of your statements.
On a second thought, if this DID happen it must have been with a very old gun as all modern guns have a safety factor that even when dropped the gun can not discharge unless the trigger is pulled, thus releasing the secondary safety mechanism.
google it....it wasn't a made up FOX story. check the post above yours.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
I am sure that you can provide documentation for your statement? I have only attended one NC show as I can not (as a Va. resident) purchase guns at a NC show, however, I can tell you that at all Va. shows if you bring a gun to a show a very profesional Va. police officer will look at the gun to make sure it is unloaded and then place a device on the gun that keep you from loading it. This happens whether the gun is out in the open or in a case.
I await your time, date and documented details of the NC shooting to prove your credibility. You know things that can be accessed for verification of your statements.
On a second thought, if this DID happen it must have been with a very old gun as all modern guns have a safety factor that even when dropped the gun can not discharge unless the trigger is pulled, thus releasing the secondary safety mechanism.
post #23 will verify it.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Andrew wrote:
A quote from the latest VCDL alert:
Daniel Webster, director of the Johns Hopkins Center for Gun Policy and Research, will report data from a 2004 survey of inmates in state prisons in a chapter in a book titled "Reducing Gun Violence in America," to be published Jan. 28 by Johns Hopkins Press.
The offenders were incarcerated from crimes committed with handguns, and this is how they reported how they obtained the guns:
Licensed gun dealer: 11 percent
Friends or family: 39.5 percent
"The street:" 37.5 percent
Stolen gun: 9.9 percent
Gun show/Flea market: 1.7 percent
In other words, only a relatively small percentage was purchased from licensed dealers. Obama's proposal on universal background checks, however, allows for "limited, common-sense exceptions for cases like certain transfers between family members and temporary transfers for hunting and sporting purposes."
the street and family members are violating the law by purchasing guns for their criminal relatives. there is BIG business being conducted from trunk sales....since there is no record of private sales, who knows how many guns are being sold without proper background checks. note of interest from that survey: when does a researcher know if a criminal is telling the truth...hmmmmmm.
Silent Echo

Petersburg, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

new hammer time wrote:
<quoted text>
google it....it wasn't a made up FOX story. check the post above yours.
Actually that very point was brought up by huck and answered very eloquently by Voice Of Reality an hour ago. Come on, spook, keep up.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Boodreau wrote:
<quoted text>Alcohol drinkers how many children were physically and emotionally abused last nite by drunken parents or guardians. How many were molested or injured in alcohol related crashes. Are you prepared to call for prohibition to save children from irresponsible drinkers?
dumb comparison..........
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Boodreau wrote:
<quoted text>I have enjoyed target shooting for over 40 years. My firearms have never been recklessly handled or pointed at another person. My youngest child turns 18 next month and my firearms have always been secure and they have never had access to then without me present. Should i be punished because criminals ILLEGALLY use them? Refer to my above post. I know more children who have been harmed by irresponsible alcohol use than by irresponsible gun use. I do not drink but but I do not call for prohibition because of irresponsible drinkers
when do they become criminals?
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

va_tazdad wrote:
<quoted text>
Not quite true. If and that is a big IF he attempts to buy a gun at a show, odds are that he will have to have a check as 89% of the gun "dealers" there are FFLs and have to run the checks by law.
Yes, there are a few private sales, but most are not serviceable but collector pieces that no criminal would be stupid enough to buy.
And with all the cops at gun shows in VA, no criminal would be dumb enough to show their face.
criminals can visit the gun shows....and when they see a gun or guns they want, they simply get a legal beagle to purchase it for them. how bout the woman in NY that purchased guns for that crazed man that shot 3 fire fighters. if your money is right, you can buy anything.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Silent Echo wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually that very point was brought up by huck and answered very eloquently by Voice Of Reality an hour ago. Come on, spook, keep up.
why the hell did you question my post...simple azz kkkracka
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

randomthoughts wrote:
<quoted text>
What background check and a range of red flags stopped Adam Lanza. I don't think he was even a felon to start with .
None of the LAWS stopped him .
Time to try something that at least slows him down .
his mother owned the guns, they were not secured in her house.
he wasn't a criminal....but had a mental dis-ease.
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

Voice of Reality wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, no problem, you found it. The next question would have to be is why is this relevant to any conversation about the supposed gun show loophole bill in Virginia? The North Carolina incident was a factor where laws and rules were in place to stop situations like this and by either police being in derelection of their duty or other problems enforcing current laws the accident happened. The same was the case in the Ohio situation. In Indiana, the accident was a moot point as it did not actually happen at the show but after when the person was walking to his car.
This is proof of what I have always stated, there are plenty of gun controling laws on the books, the real problem is when these laws are not enforced. There also lies a bigger problem in the mental health care system as well as both adult and child welfare programs and this is with workers within not wishing or incapable of doing their jobs. Many of the shooters in these mass shootings such as Columbine and Virginia Tech. The shooters were fringe people who dispite showing anti social and aggressive behavior were allowed to either purchase and or have access to a gun.
Again, as I have always stated, a gun can NOT kill anything or anybody, it takes an evil or deranged person to kill another person using a gun as a tool.
Also, if we need to talk about the control of things that kill massive amounts of people, why are we not having a discussion about any car that can go over 55MPH?
95 is wide open....please drive your car 150 mph...please please
new hammer time

Richmond, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

eventually private sellers will be banned from selling their guns at gun shows.....when that happens, they'll find another avenue to set up shop.
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

huck wrote:
<quoted text>
Why do you think you are being 'punished'?
The goal of background checks is to find out how guns were obtained illegally.
Nobody is pointing their finger specifically at you.
Gun registration would go even further to help keep weapons out of the wrong hands.
I have had a background check done on every firearm i have purchased and have no problem with background checks as a safeguard to keeping firearms out of the hands of people who should not have them. I feel punished by those who will only accept taking firearms from law abiding citizens. mandatory minimums should be strictly enforced on criminals who obtain them illegally or use them in the commission of a crime
Boodreau

Waynesboro, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2013

Judged:

sez you wrote:
<quoted text>We can't fix everything but we can stop the mindless slaughter of children by guns, but I guess thats OK by you, keep buying those guns and bullets and you support the carnage that slaughters innocent children every day.
What about the poor children. You can save them with prohibition. Or do you just like to sit around drunk and say gun cowboy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 2 hr VN Vet 11,616
Taylor Wind Set (Jan '11) 12 hr ann ashby 282
Bill Rovi, unlicensed & uninsured contractor co... Wed question 7
Confederate flag stirs patriotic Va. retort (Sep '13) Aug 18 VN Vet 38
Gay Marriages May Begin In Virginia Next Week, ... Aug 15 Yankee 14
Ferguson Missouri Aug 15 ank 3
Plz provide keywords to find a good place to li... Aug 10 Dyun 1

Search the Richmond Forum:
•••
•••