VA Senate Panel Again Kills Gun Show Loophole Bill

A Virginia Senate committee has again killed legislation to close the so-called "gun show loophole." The Courts of Justice Committee voted 11-3 to reject the measure Monday. Full Story
First Prev
of 14
Next Last
Just Saying

United States

#1 Feb 4, 2013
Well to bad they're not happy no one is happy when someone gets killed! What is the big deal anyways for anyone selling a gun dealer or not should run background the check is there for a good reason!!!! gezzz
Andrew

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Feb 4, 2013
There is no loophole. It's a myth. There is no such thing as an 'unlicensed dealer'. A private sale is a private sale and must not be regulated by the government. It's a backdoor registration system. Also, the 'law' is a solution in search of a problem. Only about 2% of guns purchased at a gun show are used in the commission of a crime. When you look at the data from the FBI, knives are used more times in murders than rifles, so banning semi-automatic rifles will not solve much. We need to focus our efforts on what will give us the greatest benefit.
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#3 Feb 4, 2013
Too many crooks tied to this proposed mandate.
Too many crooks in politics. if A=B and B=C, then A=C. That's why there's still a loophole and will be for some time.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#4 Feb 4, 2013
Andrew wrote:
There is no loophole. It's a myth. There is no such thing as an 'unlicensed dealer'. A private sale is a private sale and must not be regulated by the government. It's a backdoor registration system. Also, the 'law' is a solution in search of a problem. Only about 2% of guns purchased at a gun show are used in the commission of a crime. When you look at the data from the FBI, knives are used more times in murders than rifles, so banning semi-automatic rifles will not solve much. We need to focus our efforts on what will give us the greatest benefit.
Private sales ARE regulated by the government. When you sell a car to another person, you have to have the proper forms filled out. You have to have a title or the sale is not legal. That's not even for a deadly weapon. Guns should be more regulated than cars. IF a buyer has no reason to fear a background check, then what's the deal? Why would a private seller NOT want to know if he is selling to a felon?
Bring me a beer woman

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Feb 4, 2013
The problem is this, it often takes the Virginia State Police hours to run the background check during a busy time. And gun shows pretty much create a "busy time" for them. If a gun show closes at 5:00 p.m., and somebody purchases a firearm at 3:00 p.m., the purchaser may not get to take it home that same day. And depending on where the seller lives, the buyer could end up driving hundreds of miles to get the gun he/she has already paid for once the background check is finished.
Areyoukiddingme

Waynesboro, VA

#6 Feb 4, 2013
Bring me a beer woman wrote:
The problem is this, it often takes the Virginia State Police hours to run the background check during a busy time. And gun shows pretty much create a "busy time" for them. If a gun show closes at 5:00 p.m., and somebody purchases a firearm at 3:00 p.m., the purchaser may not get to take it home that same day. And depending on where the seller lives, the buyer could end up driving hundreds of miles to get the gun he/she has already paid for once the background check is finished.
SO, UPS ships weapons everyday!
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#7 Feb 4, 2013
Wrapping laws around human behavior will never work .

Virginia is he Mother of all states . We need to resist in infringment calling for rights to be removed from citizens for what a few nut jobs do .

Its that simple. Make our schools as safe as we can, if we want to call a MILITARY STYLE pile of officers to a school with high powered rifles stuck on the outside and behind a mountain of protocall as an active shooter is on the inside with our children , we should not fear putting a couple well trained GOOD PEOPLE armed on the inside to at least try to slow some nutcase down .

One way in the schools , good security and someone inside armed that cares. Yes it cost money.... we always have money for war.... lets spend some at home using our heads and a well run program.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#8 Feb 4, 2013
Awwwww....poor baby, life is SO hard.
Eville

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Feb 4, 2013
How about this? I paid my 50 bucks and got me a concealed carry permit. I keep that in my wallet and renew every 5 years. Since I am a rocket scientist, I propose the following. How about a gun ownership permit? It can be a lil piece of paper that you keep in your wallet and would let you into gun shows and buy your fix till expiry and then you go renew it. I am breaking it down here because some peeps on here just won't get it unless I do.
County Resident

Raleigh, NC

#10 Feb 4, 2013
"Yes it cost money.... we always have money for war.... lets spend some at home using our heads and a well run program."

It will never happen. Money for war is always off budget. It is not paid for by taxing citizens and never has to be accounted for. These kinds of programs have to be locally funded. That means tax increases, which no one wants. Everyone has good ideas, but no one has any suggestions on how to pay for them. Do you?
Huh

Richmond, VA

#11 Feb 4, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
Private sales ARE regulated by the government. When you sell a car to another person, you have to have the proper forms filled out. You have to have a title or the sale is not legal. That's not even for a deadly weapon. Guns should be more regulated than cars. IF a buyer has no reason to fear a background check, then what's the deal? Why would a private seller NOT want to know if he is selling to a felon?
Technicaly that is just as deadly a weapon as a gun there chief!! Drunk drivers kill people with cars, just as criminals kill people with guns! Think again!
Funny

Charlottesville, VA

#12 Feb 4, 2013
County Resident wrote:
<quoted text>
This was funny to read. The vast majority of private sales ARE NOT regulated by the government, when was the last time you saw a yard sale/eBay/craigslist collect sales tax? Vehicles are regulated because they are taxed and the population is comfortable with the government knowing who owns them. Vehicles are not deadly weapons, since when? Vehicles are the number one killer of children in this country, more Americans will likely die from vehicles this month or next than the entire length of the Iraq/Afgan wars combined. I'm sure the next time you get pulled over for speeding you won't mind the officer strip searching you for drugs, you don't have anything to hide, right? Following that logic can get real scary, real quick. Most private sellers ask for a photo id and a voter's card or concealed weapons permit to determine if they are a felon or not.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#13 Feb 4, 2013
County Resident wrote:
"Yes it cost money.... we always have money for war.... lets spend some at home using our heads and a well run program."
It will never happen. Money for war is always off budget. It is not paid for by taxing citizens and never has to be accounted for. These kinds of programs have to be locally funded. That means tax increases, which no one wants. Everyone has good ideas, but no one has any suggestions on how to pay for them. Do you?
I am all for starting at HOME , in your own town . start a piolit project , move fast. but lets do something. Evrybody is talking ... nobody is listening . Lets shift mig military spending to a federal level of protection for schools ... I don't care . We can stop drone strikes and quit killing little brown kids tommorow, Obama can with a stroke of a pen .... spend that money at home on our school saftey and fix that liberal mess in Chicago. We ar a power house of a Miltarized nation , we need to go after some basterds...with bomb vest and wanting to hurt other people we have the resources to do it.. we dont need to destsroy children , families and cities to do it .... Then rebuild them ..... lets just stop being stupid and making the same stupid mistakes.... I have thousand ideas... But I dont like your and you dont like mine.... we got to meet in the middle. NOw .. not just keep talking...we need to MOVE IT
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#14 Feb 4, 2013
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
This was funny to read. The vast majority of private sales ARE NOT regulated by the government, when was the last time you saw a yard sale/eBay/craigslist collect sales tax? Vehicles are regulated because they are taxed and the population is comfortable with the government knowing who owns them. Vehicles are not deadly weapons, since when? Vehicles are the number one killer of children in this country, more Americans will likely die from vehicles this month or next than the entire length of the Iraq/Afgan wars combined. I'm sure the next time you get pulled over for speeding you won't mind the officer strip searching you for drugs, you don't have anything to hide, right? Following that logic can get real scary, real quick. Most private sellers ask for a photo id and a voter's card or concealed weapons permit to determine if they are a felon or not.
Ever heard of a mass shooting at a gun show ?

me either. Laws dont work , they just dont.
Deputy Dawg

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Feb 4, 2013
Areyoukiddingme wrote:
<quoted text>
SO, UPS ships weapons everyday!
They steal stuff too. I wouldn't want them handling a firearm sold in my name.

huck

Charlottesville, VA

#16 Feb 4, 2013
Boohoo, what a hardship!
I bet the sandy parents feel for ya.
Eville

Altavista, VA

#17 Feb 4, 2013
I am sure someone has told you this before. You are an idiot.
Huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Technicaly that is just as deadly a weapon as a gun there chief!! Drunk drivers kill people with cars, just as criminals kill people with guns! Think again!
Eville

Altavista, VA

#18 Feb 4, 2013
You too.
Funny wrote:
<quoted text>
Eville

Altavista, VA

#19 Feb 4, 2013
Ding it. Sorry about the name calling. But sometimes you gotta call it as you see it.
randomthoughts

Waynesboro, VA

#20 Feb 4, 2013
Deputy Dawg wrote:
<quoted text>
They steal stuff too. I wouldn't want them handling a firearm sold in my name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =M7SnPTZhJi0XX
The break it down and use USPS , read the laws , they are good people as a whole. soof them suck...but I know some who do a good job and love their work .

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Why They Hate Obama (Aug '13) 2 hr positronium 11,844
Unsung African American Hero Historical Society Sep 15 HSsjDourahthy 1
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sep 13 Tony 1,358
Review: Richard S. Vacca, D.D.S. Sep 10 Vaccamidlothianva 1
Citizens of 7th Congressional District NOW HAVE... Sep 9 WeThePeople 1
Ex-Virginia Gov. McDonnell, Wife Charged With C... (Jan '14) Sep 7 VN Vet 14
MCDONNELLS subject to trans JAIL probing Sep 6 Cold Justic Probe 1
•••
Richmond Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Richmond Jobs

•••
•••