How often do starting substitute teac...

How often do starting substitute teachers get called in Madison Co?

Posted in the Richmond Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sub

Richmond, KY

#1 May 3, 2011
I am wanting to substitute teach next semester & I was wondering how often I would get called soon as I am hired. I have a teaching degree.

Also, does anyone have any tips on how to get my name/number out there to teachers who need a sub?
kuriosity killed the kat

Lawrenceburg, KY

#2 May 4, 2011
While going to college a few years back I subbed in the Madison Co Schools. At first I signed up to do ALL (k-12). I worked pretty steady. Many times I had to turn down jobs because of scheduling. After awhile I chose to only work 7-12, plus Behavior Disorder Units, in my area (rising gas prices). I still worked 3+ days a week. After a VERY short time, teachers were calling me first, before calling the automated system for a sub. Getting your name out there is pretty easy, once you start subbing. My advise would be make up some cheap business cards ( vistaprint.com , free + shipping) and leave a card at the teacher's desk. They also appreciate a quick note of any problems/concerns and what was accomplished that day. Good luck!! >^^<
Odd isnt it

Richmond, KY

#3 May 4, 2011
I know my daughter has had a sub at least 8 times this school year. Makes me wonder why they only allow 3 absences for the kids that can be excused without a doctor. I highly doubt that teacher was ill with a doctor's note 8 times... Seems like they're really concerned with education, doesn't it? It's a given that though a sub is necessary and it's wonderful that we have them, they aren't as acquainted with the needs of every child in that class, thus the quality of education is lowered. Where are the policies for teacher absences?
Before you say it, I also know that there are teachers who never miss a class unless it is absolutely necessary. I'm only pointing at the ones who seem to disappear all the time.
Sub

Berea, KY

#4 May 4, 2011
Thank you Kuroisity, that is very helpful information. I am looking for a full time load, so I will go for K-12! I am so excited about next semester, at least I'll have some time to get those business cards printed!
Odd isnt it

Richmond, KY

#6 May 6, 2011
To history -
I don't need to know why they were off. You just said right there that they get 14 days off in a 9 month period. I work 8-10 hour days ALL YEAR. I've only missed 2 days this past year, and I don't hold any children's futures in my hand. When you're all grown up, you can't neglect your duties just because you "need a day". These people take on a lot of responsibility when they agree to be the source of education for our children. There's no other employer in the world who offers you 14 days off in 3/4 of a year, and this same system puts pressure on parents whose child misses 4-5 without a doctor okay. They should expect someone looking over their shoulder at their absences because they are paid with our tax money. If I'm only allowed 3 absences in 365 days, why should the people my taxes help pay get 14 off in 180? There's absolutely no reason for it.
8 plus hours a day is nothing to brag about, that's the typical work day that teenagers in a fast food restaurant work. I have deaths in the family, I have children who get sick, and I've never needed that many days off of my job to handle it in the 13 years I've been working. It's also been my experience that only a small percentage of teachers put in all that volunteer time, and myself as a parent, volunteer just as much. Does that mean I should tell my boss I deserve 2 weeks off? I can imagine what he would say to that.
Speculatively, I know there are many teachers out there who are amazing educators and are dedicated to our children. The ones who take full advantage of those "days off" are putting their personal interests ahead of their job, and from a professional stand point, that's not acceptable. I know the rules and restrictions, I'm familiar with unions and tenure, I just wonder why they're so lenient on the people who my child's future depends on. Have you ever missed that many days of work?
Janey

United States

#7 May 8, 2011
I agrre with "Odd".....so many of these teachers (especially the ones with tenure) "hit the road" every chance they get.
No

Ashland, KY

#8 May 8, 2011
I understand where you're coming from but you can't make generalizations about teachers and you don't know what's going on in the lives of these teachers. As with any profession, you're going to get a few bad apples, but I find nothing wrong with the sick days that teachers are given. Part of the reason is that teachers are exposed to so many illnesses being around children and it is the ethical choice to get well before spreading an illness to your classroom. Unless you are a teacher, you don't understand the pressure that a teacher is under. People get nasty when it comes to their children and there is always going to be a parent who thinks their child is not being educated properly when they have no clue about pedagogy and proper delivery of instruction.
You haven't missed many days of work? Good for you. However everyone deals with loss, illness, etc. differently and every situation is different. I know a teacher who missed 40 days of school because she had cancer. I know another who missed 25 days of school because he donated a kidney to his brother and experienced complications because of it. I know another who missed several months because she had a baby. Who are you to judge anyone and invalidate their reasons for missing work? Have a little compassion.
Teachers usually leave detailed instructions for their subs and is the duty of the sub to carry out those instructions. The problem is that a lot of subs will pop in a movie instead of teaching. If this happens, the regular teacher will not let that person sub for them again. Believe it or not, most teachers worry about what's going on when they aren't there.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you're wrong. Teaching is one of the most noble professions and if they feel it necessary to miss a day, who are you to judge? I hope you are treated with more empathy if you were to suffer a debilitating injury or illness or if a catastrophe occurs in your life.
crazy

Berea, KY

#10 May 11, 2011
alot of subjects teachers teach require them to do monthly training. I am a sub-teacher and at the begining of the school year alot of my regular teachers give me a list of days they need me. And some have training 2 days a month. If you are worried about your childs teacher missing so much you might ask them.
ignorant

Manhattan, IL

#11 Dec 8, 2011
If you're not a teacher you have no right to say what they should and shouldn't do. They have conferences, field trips, and many other obligations that sometimes fall during the school day. And teaching is not an 8 hr a day job... its all day every day.
pencils

Richmond, KY

#12 Dec 8, 2011
Odd isnt it wrote:
I know my daughter has had a sub at least 8 times this school year. Makes me wonder why they only allow 3 absences for the kids that can be excused without a doctor. I highly doubt that ....
When you work around hundreds of children- you WILL be sick. A lot!
richmondite

Richmond, KY

#13 Dec 8, 2011
history wrote:
<quoted text>You have no idea why this teacher was out, do you?
Maybe they were sick, death in family, child sick, or just needed a day. School employees have 2 emergency days, 2 personal days and 10 sick days. Seeing they work 8plus hours a day and volunteer for ball games, school functions, and everything else I think this is fair. Most take work home with them. No criticize someone until you know why they took off.
Well stated!
richmondite

Richmond, KY

#14 Dec 8, 2011
Odd isnt it wrote:
To history -
I don't need to know why they were off. You just said right there that they get 14 days off in a 9 month period. I work 8-10 hour days ALL YEAR. I've only missed 2 days this past year, and I don't hold any children's futures in my hand. When you're all grown up, you can't neglect your duties just because you "need a day". These people take on a lot of responsibility when they agree to be the source of education for our children. There's no other employer in the world who offers you 14 days off in 3/4 of a year, and this same system puts pressure on parents whose child misses 4-5 without a doctor okay. They should expect someone looking over their shoulder at their absences because they are paid with our tax money. If I'm only allowed 3 absences in 365 days, why should the people my taxes help pay get 14 off in 180? There's absolutely no reason for it.
8 plus hours a day is nothing to brag about, that's the typical work day that teenagers in a fast food restaurant work. I have deaths in the family, I have children who get sick, and I've never needed that many days off of my job to handle it in the 13 years I've been working. It's also been my experience that only a small percentage of teachers put in all that volunteer time, and myself as a parent, volunteer just as much. Does that mean I should tell my boss I deserve 2 weeks off? I can imagine what he would say to that.
Speculatively, I know there are many teachers out there who are amazing educators and are dedicated to our children. The ones who take full advantage of those "days off" are putting their personal interests ahead of their job, and from a professional stand point, that's not acceptable. I know the rules and restrictions, I'm familiar with unions and tenure, I just wonder why they're so lenient on the people who my child's future depends on. Have you ever missed that many days of work?
Quit frankly, it's none of your business why a teacher misses. The days they get are part of their contract and truancy laws dictate how many days kids can miss. Get over yourself. If you wanted a job with better benefits maybe you should have went to college and tries to educate yourself.
A teacher

Danville, KY

#15 Dec 2, 2012
Come and do the job before you judge. You can barely handle the kids you have much less EDUCATE 150 to 240 students a day. Remember the Bible says "Judge not, lest ye be judged"

You shouldn't speak about things you know nothing about.
defensive

Berea, KY

#16 Dec 2, 2012
Lol why are the teachers getting defensive? Could it be they don't like the truth. Most overated "profession" in the world. It would be different if half of them could even pass a GED test. Sad state when it takes students 10 plus years to learn that half the garbage they were taught in school wasn't correct. Example: my son came home last week told me his teacher said one day the moon will crash into the Earth because it is getting four inches closer every year. I will leave it to you to learn the truth on that one.
Seriously

Richmond, KY

#17 Jan 8, 2013
I think the question was about how often you might get called to work... Why are you people getting angry?
Old Nick

Richmond, KY

#18 Jan 8, 2013
Because they thing teachers have a 'sweet deal.' Never mind that none of them could stand a year in a teacher's shoes. Most teachers work as hard as a medical doctor for a pittance of the pay.

Yeah, sure, there's some bad eggs. There are in every profession. And I'll assure you, tenure is NOT proof against being dismissed. It just means that the district actually has to do some legwork before they can fire you, i.e. prove that you need to be fired. If they can't prove it, they can't fire you. As political as KY school systems are, it's a protection teachers NEED.
Troll

Pikeville, KY

#19 Jan 8, 2013
Have you ever had Lipo before?
less confused

Richmond, KY

#20 Jan 9, 2013
defensive wrote:
Lol why are the teachers getting defensive? Could it be they don't like the truth. Most overated "profession" in the world. It would be different if half of them could even pass a GED test. Sad state when it takes students 10 plus years to learn that half the garbage they were taught in school wasn't correct. Example: my son came home last week told me his teacher said one day the moon will crash into the Earth because it is getting four inches closer every year. I will leave it to you to learn the truth on that one.
Lol! That's effin hilarious!:D

...and at the same time....very sad.

That's part of the reason I despise the public school system - the idiots in front of the class puking up the same garbage they swallowed down, just because someone told them it was true.

It's none of my business, but I do hope you set the record straight with your boy?:)
teacher

Williamsburg, KY

#21 Jan 16, 2013
FYI - Teachers only work 3/4 of the year, but we also only get paid 3/4 of the year. It's not like we get paid during the summer/vacation months.
Unless you have taught, you will never understand the pressure of a teacher. I have only been at it 5 years and I am seriously considering a career change. As soon as you walk through the door you are constantly thinking about your students. Who was absent yesterday? Who is here today? Who is going to fight whom? Is little Sally or Johnny going to behave today? Are Sally or Johnny's parents going to call and complain about your teaching methods?
Teachers don't get 10 minutes away from their rooms to use the bathroom. They usually have to wait until planning or the end of the day! They can't leave students unattended.
We don't get an hour lunch to leave the building. A teacher can hardly relax for 5 minutes during the day...unlike many other professions.
So definitely yes. If I wake up and I'm sick, heck yeah I take the day off. Also, don't complain about your taxes. We pay taxes too!
Seriously, if you think that badly of the system, home school your child. I'm sure whatever education they are receiving is better than you think. So many things get blamed on the teacher. You would be floored at the things my students have claimed I said in class. Students don't listen. The problem is, parent's think their children don't lie. They rarely allow a teacher to defend themselves.
My advice, get over yourself.

Since: Jan 13

Location hidden

#22 Jan 17, 2013
"teacher",

Sounds like you're just pointing the finger back at the student or the parent...

If you work 3/4 of the year, but only get paid 3/4 of the year...good. You shouldn't get paid for not working - just like anyone else.

I'm sure being a teacher has it's pressures, but remember, you *chose* to become a teacher in the public system. I personally know an English teacher in the public system, and she constantly gripes about her job, the anxiety of it, and how it's not fair an "uneducated" person can work at the depot can make 3x as much as she does, and she has a degree. Again, she (and any teacher)*chose* that profession, and so chose that salary bracket.

If they're in it for the money, then maybe they should have been a little wiser in college and chose a better career path?

I know for certain a teacher can use the bathroom between classes just the like the students can; furthermore, with technology today, teachers can have their classes monitored over the intercom if they have a bathroom emergency.

As far as leaving the building for an hour lunch...there are MANY professions who don't allow something like that, and only give 30 minutes for lunch. I don't know how often a teacher gets a break throughout the day, but also keep in mind being a teacher is not as laborious as other professions - and again, being a teacher is a chosen profession, and stuff like this should be thought of before getting in to it.

I believe you when you say students don't listen, and not for a second would I jump to the side of a child's word over a teacher's word, or the other way around.

As far as them receiving a better education in the public system is better than the parent thinks...that's a very subjective argument. If you think brainwashing young minds someone else's religious beliefs, and calling it "science" is a better "education" than what they may receive at home, then I certainly challenge that idea.

Can you prove the universe is billion of years old?

Can you prove chemical evolution?

Can you prove stellar evolution?

Can you prove biological evolution?

Can you prove the claim of the "missing link"?

Of course not. These are beliefs. None of us knows how old the universe is...we *believe* we know, but that's exactly it; belief.

Some believe in macro-evolution, but that can't prove that man evolved from ape; so they choose to *believe* it.

This belief system is being taught in the public education system, and is tax supported. That's why I gripe about those taxes; they're being used to indoctrinate children with someone else's religious beliefs.

There are *GREAT* teachers in the public system; but those great teachers just sit by and let those kids continue to act like animals, because they're being taught that they are animals...and the teachers act like it's out of their hands.

When in fact, it's up to the teacher what curriculum is taught in class...evolution or creation. Check out the state and local laws on what a teacher is allowed to teach in their class.

Happy educating!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Add a Word, Drop a Word (Sep '11) 27 min Jennifer Renee 22,733
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 33 min Jennifer Renee 34,368
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 49 min Athenesword 143,144
Ed was arrested for stalking 1 hr EHieronomics 7
meineke 16 hr U R A girl 3
Who else is sick of all these "Ed threads"? 19 hr Sound Advice 52
this or that 23 hr Doobie Time 55
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages