Is Model Closing
23465

Ashland, KY

#147 Mar 20, 2013
Retard wrote:
<quoted text>Sorry stupid, but you are wrong. I attended UK and did not take any form of ACT test.

ALL that is required to attend any school is the cash. You have the cash, you don't have to bother with test.
That may have been true a very long time ago. Today- you are not going anywhere without taking the ACT or SAT! Hellllooo!
23465

Ashland, KY

#148 Mar 20, 2013
Every junior in the state of Kentucky NOW TAKES THE ACT.
Dana

Antioch, TN

#149 Mar 20, 2013
Possibly wrote:
Has anyone here considered that Model students must take the test to see if they can hack it in a real school.
I'd say most Model grads go to EKU. Easier to cover crap if it is all in the same pile.
Lasted in the Richmond Register every year are all students from Model at graduation and where they are going to college. I cannot remember any having EKU listed the last two years. Now the Model students do attend EKU during high school. There are kids that graudate with 12-24 semester hours of general education college hours.
nogo

Berea, KY

#150 Mar 20, 2013
Models has special needs and fmd kids. It shocked me at first but they give them scholarships to cover the cost, I assume for state requirements. So no one can claim models scores are higher since they don't have special needs kids because they do.
little fish

United States

#151 Mar 20, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Model has turned out some of the best and brightest minds in Madison County. Get a clue! Here are some Model graduates that would love to hear your opinion in person:
1. Judge Jennings;
2. Judge Logue;
3. Judge Neal;
4. Assistant Commonwealth's attorney Tom Smith;
5. Attorney Brooke Bowman;
6. Attorney Jim Baechtold;
7. Kentucky State Trooper Brian Bowman;
8. Gus Benson -- administrator EKU;
9. Karen Benson -- physical therapist;
10. Kentucky State Troopers Keith & Chad Pearcy;
11. Attorney Meena Mohanty;
12. Kevin Durham; co owner liquor mart;
Those are just a few of many. Model turns out more professionals per capita than any other school in the state. With graduating classes of 50 or less that is a pretty good result.
So hate on dumb rednecks, these folks are far more successful and respected than most people who badmouth Model. Wait? I guess that is all just an accident.
the reason they are still here is because they wanted to be big fish in a little pond....they would be little fish in a big pond anywhere else.
sorry Dad

United States

#152 Mar 20, 2013
Model Dad wrote:
My Child graduated from MHS in 2012. 100% of the graduates went on to college. At graduation the information was over $1.75 million dollars in scholorships for the 54 seniors. My child played sports at Model and is currently on the Dean's list in college, and as a distinguished college student on the national list.
I'm sure we made the right choice and from the other posts on this thread from the bullies, I am certain of it. They obviously didn't learn to spell and have correct grammer either.
Sorry, my child graduated in 2012. She and 3 others decided not to go to college this year, so your statistics are wrong. I never heard how much was given in scholarships(correct spelling). I am glad you know all....lol.
letseatgrandma

Berea, KY

#153 Mar 20, 2013
It's also spelled grammar, not grammer. If you are going to be condescending and ridicule others for grammar and spelling, perhaps you should proofread.
former student of MCS

Winchester, KY

#154 Mar 21, 2013
We had to take a poll you dumba$$. Ice also had lots of friends that went to model they also said models pregnancy rate was a lot higher.
peeps

Richmond, KY

#155 Mar 21, 2013
Model kids are just like kids, products of their parents.
23465

Ashland, KY

#156 Mar 21, 2013
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>Lasted in the Richmond Register every year are all students from Model at graduation and where they are going to college. I cannot remember any having EKU listed the last two years. Now the Model students do attend EKU during high school. There are kids that graudate with 12-24 semester hours of general education college hours.
So do students from MCHS.... There are teachers at MC that teach dual credit classes
23465

Ashland, KY

#157 Mar 21, 2013
nogo wrote:
Models has special needs and fmd kids. It shocked me at first but they give them scholarships to cover the cost, I assume for state requirements. So no one can claim models scores are higher since they don't have special needs kids because they do.
What percentage???
student

United States

#158 Mar 21, 2013
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>Lasted in the Richmond Register every year are all students from Model at graduation and where they are going to college. I cannot remember any having EKU listed the last two years. Now the Model students do attend EKU during high school. There are kids that graudate with 12-24 semester hours of general education college hours.
You can attend college courses at EKU from MCHS as well and start with the same amount of college credits.
student

United States

#159 Mar 21, 2013
nogo wrote:
Models has special needs and fmd kids. It shocked me at first but they give them scholarships to cover the cost, I assume for state requirements. So no one can claim models scores are higher since they don't have special needs kids because they do.
Not nearly as many as public schools have..
relative

Berea, KY

#160 Mar 21, 2013
student wrote:
<quoted text>
Not nearly as many as public schools have..
As well they shouldn't. MCHS has what five times the enrollment?
fyi

Louisville, KY

#161 Mar 25, 2013
Dana wrote:
<quoted text>
Lasted in the Richmond Register every year are all students from Model at graduation and where they are going to college. I cannot remember any having EKU listed the last two years. Now the Model students do attend EKU during high school. There are kids that graudate with 12-24 semester hours of general education college hours.
I teach at EKU and I have Model graduates in my class all of the time.
Nonsens

Richmond, KY

#162 Mar 25, 2013
I have never heard such a bunch of nonsense and rubbish concerning who has the best ACT/SAT scores, what percentage of grads go to college, how much scholarship money is given out. And are some of you nuts ? How many girls are pregnant and who beat up who. Ridiculous!
I can tell you that there are good kids and great students at both the county schools and Model. Kids who graduated from MCHS have been accepted (yes every year) at some of the most prestigous colleges in the US ( including Harvard, Columbia, Duke, MIT and many others). There are kids who graduated from MCHS who scored a perfect, yes perfect score of 36 on the ACT ( I would guess there are some Model students who achieved that also). Yes, Model's score average is higher than the state average. There is a reason for this: 1. Public schools have a higher number of kids from disadvantaged families ( this does not mean these kids can't do well, but in actuality many do not perform as well and for many reasons). 2. At one time, and this may still be the case, kids who have attendance problems, reoccurring behavior issues or who consistently do not perform to their potential, are asked to leave.
This arguing and name calling that my dog's bigger/ better than yours is juvenile and ignorant. The fact is both schools produce extremely successful people.
Now the question should Model close? If it is deemed necessary for EKU to close Model as well as eliminate programs at EKU, the good of the University comes first. EKU is first a university and that must be their priority. Keeping Model open because it has always been there and provides a semi " private" education for those thinking public school isn't good enough is a bad decision. There must be reason that Morehead, WKU and UK closed their lab schools years ago?
agree with most

Louisville, KY

#163 Mar 26, 2013
Nonsens wrote:
I have never heard such a bunch of nonsense and rubbish concerning who has the best ACT/SAT scores, what percentage of grads go to college, how much scholarship money is given out. And are some of you nuts ? How many girls are pregnant and who beat up who. Ridiculous!
I can tell you that there are good kids and great students at both the county schools and Model. Kids who graduated from MCHS have been accepted (yes every year) at some of the most prestigous colleges in the US ( including Harvard, Columbia, Duke, MIT and many others). There are kids who graduated from MCHS who scored a perfect, yes perfect score of 36 on the ACT ( I would guess there are some Model students who achieved that also). Yes, Model's score average is higher than the state average. There is a reason for this: 1. Public schools have a higher number of kids from disadvantaged families ( this does not mean these kids can't do well, but in actuality many do not perform as well and for many reasons). 2. At one time, and this may still be the case, kids who have attendance problems, reoccurring behavior issues or who consistently do not perform to their potential, are asked to leave.
This arguing and name calling that my dog's bigger/ better than yours is juvenile and ignorant. The fact is both schools produce extremely successful people.
Now the question should Model close? If it is deemed necessary for EKU to close Model as well as eliminate programs at EKU, the good of the University comes first. EKU is first a university and that must be their priority. Keeping Model open because it has always been there and provides a semi " private" education for those thinking public school isn't good enough is a bad decision. There must be reason that Morehead, WKU and UK closed their lab schools years ago?
I agree with 90% of your comments. There are great kids at both schools. I doubt your average elementary school child has much choice about where they attend school so they certainly shouldn't be bashed for the decisions of their parents. To me, these 20, 30 and yes 40 year old grudges are ridiculous. I had friends at both schools and the subject of where we went was rarely brought up.

Today, many of the kids mix through soccer,basketball, and other fall and winter leagues. Again, these kids seem to get along fine.

My only disagreement is your contention that Model is not part of the university. The teachers are EKU faculty and many also teach college classes at EKU. Model was threated to be closed since 1977. The decision to keep it open is because it does provide the opportunity to observe and teach for many EKU education majors. That made the school somewhat unique. The school is on campus, so the EKU students can log their observation time and never have to leave campus. Model is part of the College of Education and will fall under their budget. Live and let live is what I say. Central is already overcrowded and it will not be long before a another high school is built to service Northern Madison county.
TFHS

Berea, KY

#164 Mar 26, 2013
I have a friend that works at DW Wilburn. He says that Tommy Floyd High School is already in the works.
Tanya Stevens

Frankfort, KY

#165 Mar 27, 2013
Human Resources Manager wrote:
<quoted text>
Damn you are an ignorant person. Never opened a book huh.... Madison County schools have more accelerated students than Model has students.
I can tell you this. When reviewing resumes, the first mention of Model in the document and it goes in the trash. Yea I make 6 figures, and graduated from MCHS and I personally will never employee a person that graduated from Model. The other employees in the department feel the same.
That alone tells me what they are, and what they are about. And here in the job market we do not teach the test so there is no easy answers. We hire quality people from quality schools.
Then you are the SHITTIEST Human Resource manager ever. First, you openly admit discrimination. Second, your company is so busy you are on TOPIX
Tanya Stevens

Frankfort, KY

#166 Mar 27, 2013
Possibly wrote:
Has anyone here considered that Model students must take the test to see if they can hack it in a real school.
I'd say most Model grads go to EKU. Easier to cover crap if it is all in the same pile.
I have TWO degrees from EKU. There is nothing easy about EKU. It was just easier to be closer to home. I went to UK for my first year, talk about partying! Worse than EKU. Very unsafe campus and I am a UK fan. EKU, for the money, will give you an excellent education and you will gain a lot of friends as well. I graduated with a 3.5 for my bachelor's and 3.95 for Masters. Talk about what you will, but EKU is a great school, with great professors.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 12 min President Don J T... 163,365
I Don't Know What The Future Holds, but 49 min KillerPopTart 72
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 1 hr Jennifer Renee 41,201
Lake Reba Fish Dead 3 hr Benny 11
Yesterday's closing Saturday 4 hr Gotheart 1
Austin @ the blue moon 7 hr Edturd Cleanup 5
Kim. 8 hr David 4
Looking for a Job that Pays Considerably Better... (Mar '14) 9 hr Yawn 161

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages