Is Model Closing
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
Is Model Closing

Richmond, KY

#1 Mar 1, 2013
Rumor is Model will be closing. Any truth?
Elder

United States

#2 Mar 1, 2013
No model is not closing they are looking into the financial status of EKU and the counties part of supporting model. Model is the last Labratory School in the state. However is they can't make the numbers work then it could possible happen. However they have alot of other cuts to make before they close the doors of model.
here

Frankfort, KY

#3 Mar 2, 2013
Should have closed a long time ago!
55357

Richmond, KY

#6 Mar 3, 2013
I agree. Should have been closed years ago but they somehow got the Madison county school system to help pay to keep them open
Ashamed

San Diego, CA

#8 Mar 3, 2013
I am ashamed of the way the posters have spoken about Model and the students there. What would you have preferred allowing them access to the better schools where students were learning? Would you have been happier if they were allowed to go to Central?? I don't think so.

Those people with normal kids??? No....
Concerned Kentuckian

Richmond, KY

#9 Mar 5, 2013
Ah! All you Model haters must have hated not getting into our parties, or into college for that matter! But seriously, I know your barefoot and toothless Dixie Plaza girls aren't much to look at, that's what you get for life.

I pity the sad white trash of Madison County- it's not even that you're poor, it's that your taste is so foul, you must have been dreaming about the nurses in your methadone clinic....
its possible

Richmond, KY

#10 Mar 5, 2013
http://theprincipal.blogspot.com/2013/03/a-mo...

Definitely not revenue positive so it's possible, makes sense.
get a clue

Louisville, KY

#12 Mar 5, 2013
55357 wrote:
I agree. Should have been closed years ago but they somehow got the Madison county school system to help pay to keep them open
Model has turned out some of the best and brightest minds in Madison County. Get a clue! Here are some Model graduates that would love to hear your opinion in person:

1. Judge Jennings;

2. Judge Logue;

3. Judge Neal;

4. Assistant Commonwealth's attorney Tom Smith;

5. Attorney Brooke Bowman;

6. Attorney Jim Baechtold;

7. Kentucky State Trooper Brian Bowman;

8. Gus Benson -- administrator EKU;

9. Karen Benson -- physical therapist;

10. Kentucky State Troopers Keith & Chad Pearcy;

11. Attorney Meena Mohanty;

12. Kevin Durham; co owner liquor mart;

Those are just a few of many. Model turns out more professionals per capita than any other school in the state. With graduating classes of 50 or less that is a pretty good result.

So hate on dumb rednecks, these folks are far more successful and respected than most people who badmouth Model. Wait? I guess that is all just an accident.
ROFLMPoorAO

United States

#13 Mar 5, 2013
If it matters my MCHS diploma prepared me for an Ivy League degree. Oh by the way all bets on that my income and net worth is higher than yours and 99% of Model grads. If that matters. However, I have learned those who are so concerned about prestige and wealth sorely lack both.
Concerned Kentuckian wrote:
Ah! All you Model haters must have hated not getting into our parties, or into college for that matter! But seriously, I know your barefoot and toothless Dixie Plaza girls aren't much to look at, that's what you get for life.
I pity the sad white trash of Madison County- it's not even that you're poor, it's that your taste is so foul, you must have been dreaming about the nurses in your methadone clinic....
real problem

Winchester, KY

#14 Mar 5, 2013
Well much like most youth there is a major problem with the feeling of intitlement. Although most model students have a far worse case of it than "average" youth. Students of the other schools may not of been blessed with the opportunity, not because of intelligence or ability, but because their parnents cant afford or have the connections the models parents have. I have many friends that went to model and have stayed friends with them. So just like anything else im not saying all, but alot of them have reached the success you spoke of merely because their families connections. Not just because of model. I myself tested as high if not higher than most of the people I knew from model. With my "lower" educational school. With a graduating class of 50 each year it wouldnt take much to have a higher success rate than other schools who have triple or quadruple the amount of students graduating each year. Simple math, model could have half as many people goto college than other schools and have a higher percentage. Model could have 50 percent goto college and central have 10 percent goto college and central sent more children to recieve a higher education.
wow

Pikeville, KY

#15 Mar 5, 2013
real problem wrote:
Well much like most youth there is a major problem with the feeling of intitlement. Although most model students have a far worse case of it than "average" youth. Students of the other schools may not of been blessed with the opportunity, not because of intelligence or ability, but because their parnents cant afford or have the connections the models parents have. I have many friends that went to model and have stayed friends with them. So just like anything else im not saying all, but alot of them have reached the success you spoke of merely because their families connections. Not just because of model. I myself tested as high if not higher than most of the people I knew from model. With my "lower" educational school. With a graduating class of 50 each year it wouldnt take much to have a higher success rate than other schools who have triple or quadruple the amount of students graduating each year. Simple math, model could have half as many people goto college than other schools and have a higher percentage. Model could have 50 percent goto college and central have 10 percent goto college and central sent more children to recieve a higher education.
Entitlement is spelled with an "e" not an "i". Maybe you are not as smart as you think you are?
Skoolz

Nicholasville, KY

#16 Mar 5, 2013
Dem girls at Daniel Boone school are all kinda flat.
Fool

Corbin, KY

#17 Mar 6, 2013
Skoolz wrote:
Dem girls at Daniel Boone school are all kinda flat.
That's because the oldest student there is 9 years old. Pervert.
Finally

Corbin, KY

#18 Mar 6, 2013
The problem with Model is as it has always been. The students there think they are privileged and better than the rest of the county.
That my friends is bullshit. Sure I remember them stating all about the tuition there and how we did not have to pay tuition so they thought they were better. When in fact Madison High Royal Purples kept Model in money for years, then when it closed, Central had to pick up the slack so those kids could still go to school.

Where are the important jobs from there. As a MCHS and UK grad, I do alright in the aerospace industry. But the above list seems to be all involved in some aspect with criminals. Sure some are judges, but that is an elected position and there is not a test so how do you know if our are better or worse than others?

Want to solve the problem. Close the place once and for all. How much money is to be thrown at it to try to make it go. Has it not been 40 some years now and still the county has to pay the bill.

Either close it or give control to the county and be done with it.

Explain to these kids that think they are preppies. They are not, there daddy's may have some money, but they do not have it all. When we lived in Richmond, we considered Model for our children. Our decision had nothing to do with the cost.

We made our choice because my wife and I had time in the county, as well as some years in Model, and we know the difference.
Patriot

Berea, KY

#19 Mar 6, 2013
Model is great. All of the University resources. No thugs walking down the hallways stabbing other students. Security on site. The place is clean and well kept. If they would just limit the scholarships to academics and not other factors keeping the trash out. No way would I let my children go to Southern and Central.
I agree

Corbin, KY

#20 Mar 6, 2013
Patriot wrote:
Model is great. All of the University resources. No thugs walking down the hallways stabbing other students. Security on site. The place is clean and well kept. If they would just limit the scholarships to academics and not other factors keeping the trash out. No way would I let my children go to Southern and Central.

I agree with this poster in that his kids need to be in some special school like Model. Keep all the retards together I say.
twister

Richmond, KY

#21 Mar 6, 2013
I graduated from Model many years ago and still today when asked where I went to high school, it is still the same old response.......... Ohooooo. I never felt like I was better than anyone else and I was nice to everyone. Yes, my family had money and status but I wasn't brought up to think that I was superior. I never realized until I got older how jealous others were and it was their problem and not mine.
madco man

Richmond, KY

#22 Mar 6, 2013
get a clue wrote:
<quoted text>
Model has turned out some of the best and brightest minds in Madison County. Get a clue! Here are some Model graduates that would love to hear your opinion in person:
1. Judge Jennings;
2. Judge Logue;
3. Judge Neal;
4. Assistant Commonwealth's attorney Tom Smith;
5. Attorney Brooke Bowman;
6. Attorney Jim Baechtold;
7. Kentucky State Trooper Brian Bowman;
8. Gus Benson -- administrator EKU;
9. Karen Benson -- physical therapist;
10. Kentucky State Troopers Keith & Chad Pearcy;
11. Attorney Meena Mohanty;
12. Kevin Durham; co owner liquor mart;
Those are just a few of many. Model turns out more professionals per capita than any other school in the state. With graduating classes of 50 or less that is a pretty good result.
So hate on dumb rednecks, these folks are far more successful and respected than most people who badmouth Model. Wait? I guess that is all just an accident.
Don not forget number thirteen. Todd Hume, murderer.
wow

Louisville, KY

#23 Mar 6, 2013
madco man wrote:
<quoted text>Don not forget number thirteen. Todd Hume, murderer.
You have named one -- congrats. Practically the entire graduating classes from Madison High from 1980 until it closed have been convicted for felonies ranging from Murder (Kenneth Shearer) to trafficking drugs in our county (try more than a 150).
LHB

United States

#24 Mar 7, 2013
Everyone has failed to discuss the main purpose for Model. It is used as a great on-site tool for EKU students to expand their education. They observe, instruct, and do research within Model. There are also graduate students that coach sports which helps toward an internship.
I did not grow up in Madison County but did learn very quickly when asked where my children attend school, giving the answer of Model was and is never an easy thing. My family is not wealthy nor connected. Our priority is education! We feel given the choices within our district that Model is the best one. The children have always tested
well and we can see results.
Given other "private" schools in Kentucky, the tuition at Model is modest. We appreciate the low cost but would understand an increase as everything in society is getting more expensive.
With regards to budget cuts, my feelings are strong in that there are positions within Model that need to be terminated! The administrative staff is over staffed and with the student workers that must work on campus for their financial assistance or volunteer hours, they slack can be successfully handled. I disagree with how staff and parents have handled this situation with students, verbally telling them to sign a petition to "save Model from closing". It is not a child's job to save jobs or their school!
Model has their share of issues and it is sad when particular students can violate school policy without consequences because of who their parents are. I believe this is found everywhere, even with adults in the workplace. As one post said, "entitlement".
Closing Model will not happen. The benefits out-weigh the cost. EKU is trimming the budget overall in all departments to make it cleaner for the new incoming President.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
ford hall inc 23 min look out 1
James Robinson 27 min Sam 6
drug dealers (Jul '13) 42 min look out 48
GambLing in Richmond and MADISON COUNTY 47 min Powerball 3
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 3 hr eebie 170,048
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 5 hr --S-e-r-i-o-u-s-l... 8,380
Kayla Roe? (Sep '09) 5 hr Kayla 22

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages