Flipping Off Police Officers is Your ...

Flipping Off Police Officers is Your Right.

Posted in the Richmond Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Interesting

Richmond, KY

#1 Jan 4, 2013
In a landmark decision the Federal court supported the flipping off of a police officer as freedom of speech. Going so far as stating a police officer has no right to stop you, or question you about flipping his butt off.

I did not provide a link as just Google this, it is everywhere.

------
WASHINGTON -- A police officer can't pull you over and arrest you just because you gave him the finger, a federal court declared Thursday. Flipping off policemen is nothing but Free Speech, is Constitutionally
protected.

In a 14-page opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that the "ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."
Local

Richmond, KY

#2 Jan 4, 2013
The entire story is on Politix, the sister site of Topix.

I have heard of people being arrested for flipping off a cop. So now we find it is not illegal and the people that have been arrested for this are just more statistics of cops that did not know the law.
Not acceptable

Richmond, KY

#3 Jan 4, 2013
Our police officers should be treated with respect. It can sometimes be frustrating, but still.......
do it here

Richmond, KY

#4 Jan 4, 2013
Bet they still haul u off. Smh. Power or protect the law?
where

Lexington, KY

#5 Jan 5, 2013
Are you Kidding

Richmond, KY

#6 Jan 5, 2013
Interesting wrote:
In a landmark decision the Federal court supported the flipping off of a police officer as freedom of speech. Going so far as stating a police officer has no right to stop you, or question you about flipping his butt off.
I did not provide a link as just Google this, it is everywhere.
------
WASHINGTON -- A police officer can't pull you over and arrest you just because you gave him the finger, a federal court declared Thursday. Flipping off policemen is nothing but Free Speech, is Constitutionally
protected.
In a 14-page opinion, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit ruled that the "ancient gesture of insult is not the basis for a reasonable suspicion of a traffic violation or impending criminal activity."
That does not mean they cannot follow you and wait for you to do something illegal, and give you a ticket.
I did it in 1992

Mount Vernon, KY

#7 Jan 6, 2013
Didn't get arrested but he did take me up on it!
didn't walk right for 2 hours!!
your local cop

Lexington, KY

#9 Jan 7, 2013
sure, go ahead and flip me off. i can't arrest you for THAT.... but i'm sure i can find something else to arrest you for. and at the very least, issue a hand full of citations/tickets.

yes, "you" won the legal battle of flipping me off... LMAO, go right ahead.(btw, the city is short on cash right now, and asked us to give out as much as we can, please, i'm begging you, flip me off)
diagnosis

Richmond, KY

#10 Jan 7, 2013
Bottom Line wrote:
Yes flipping off a police officer may seem demeaning to the officer. But at least it allows he or she to understand that they are the vile miscreant's in this equation. That normal decent people do not wish to be around them, also that while the public is sometimes forced to interact with them, they, the people, no longer have to hide behind the fact that police are distasteful to be around, generally cannot be trusted, and should always be considered at least as dangerous to be around as any criminal going. So yes, give them the finger and tell them to get to work and earn those tax dollars you are receiving.
But remember, we are speaking of the police. The fact that it is the law, is not to be construed as they understand the laws. Or their ignorant asses just may not care that they are violating the law by arresting or beating you for this action.
Wanna do something positive? Move to dis-ban the imminent domain, and sovereign immunity crap that the lying judges use to cover these poor quality pieces of human shit, and force them to stand on their own decisions like the rest of us, or get their asses sued off.
Allow a couple to be sued until they and their families have nothing, not a damn cent left, and before you know it, the trash will be off the force and we will again have decent officers.
But our judges are afraid to back to people in what is right, so yes, express yourself. I am sure you will find that flipping off a officer is perfectly legal as the court has said. I'll bet that goes for anyone too. A mayor, the judge, whoever. Flip them off and if they don't like it, then tough shit. Sue their dumb asses.
You are delusional or on drugs or both! May God give you the help you need.
stupid people

Richmond, KY

#11 Jan 7, 2013
It is amazing that there are so many stupid people in the world. Wait til you are in a car wreck, a house fire or someone breaks in your house and you are begging for your life. Maybe then you will know. No, I am not a cop but I do respect them and think most of them care about people and do their best. Most people who don't like police officers are breaking the law or have been arrested. If you live a good, decent and clean life or had been taught to respect others and yourself, you would not have a problem.
Sonny

United States

#12 Jan 7, 2013
Get real. Cops are cops because that's their job. They do whatever they're told to do. Don't over complicate this.

The system is F'd. Ain't the cops fault, but that doesn't mean you have to act like they're awesome. They are money collectors for the most part.
KMS35

Tucker, GA

#14 Jan 7, 2013
I'm sure they can still make your life hell and at least hold you for being disorderly. I'm sure they wouldn't be bothering you in the first place if you didn't give them a reason to.
Attorney

San Diego, CA

#17 Jan 7, 2013
To the moderator. There was nothing wrong with the posting I posted and I will be in contact with Chris Tolles first thing in the morning, your time.

Lets see if he can inform you as to what is OK and what is not. Lets see if I can have Chris see to it you never Moderate anything again.
Tourist

Richmond, KY

#18 Jan 18, 2013
Laws of each state vary... even though in that state of Washington the courts say it is okay, does NT mean that it is okay in Kentucky or elsewhere... Wise up people... You piss off the person who is there to protect your sorry ass and they may take a wrong turn the next time you need them...
OTJ

Richmond, KY

#19 Jan 18, 2013
Tourist wrote:
Laws of each state vary... even though in that state of Washington the courts say it is okay, does NT mean that it is okay in Kentucky or elsewhere... Wise up people... You piss off the person who is there to protect your sorry ass and they may take a wrong turn the next time you need them...

What difference does it make how long it takes them to arrive and take a report? Why do you need the police? Seriously? They can take a report for insurance or evidence purposes, but really, can't just about anyone.

As for protecting us, from who may I ask? If a criminal is bothering, robbing or attacking you, the police cannot get to you in time to protect you. The Legislature saw this and created Castle Doctrine, and Concealed Carry so you have the ability to protect yourself.

Protecting people is not the Police's job. Their job is to take pictures after you have been raped, robbed, or killed. The responding officer cannot believe you thought they could get to you in time since when you called, the criminal was already here. He sort of chuckles to himself st your ignorance and files the report.
just saying

Richmond, KY

#20 Jan 18, 2013
OTJ wrote:
<quoted text>
What difference does it make how long it takes them to arrive and take a report? Why do you need the police? Seriously? They can take a report for insurance or evidence purposes, but really, can't just about anyone.
As for protecting us, from who may I ask? If a criminal is bothering, robbing or attacking you, the police cannot get to you in time to protect you. The Legislature saw this and created Castle Doctrine, and Concealed Carry so you have the ability to protect yourself.
Protecting people is not the Police's job. Their job is to take pictures after you have been raped, robbed, or killed. The responding officer cannot believe you thought they could get to you in time since when you called, the criminal was already here. He sort of chuckles to himself st your ignorance and files the report.
Obviously,you have never been in a house fire,a bad car accident or been robbed. You are the one who needs to wise up and get an attitude adjustment. You will need them one day or someone in your family will. First responders save many lives. Cops do more than take reports.
I would advise you and others to have some respect or maybe you are breaking the law and need some hand cuffs on?
Green

San Diego, CA

#21 Jan 18, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously,you have never been in a house fire,a bad car accident or been robbed.

I'd say you are wrong as this sounds like an officer to me even to the nickname OTJ as in obviously abbreviation for "On The Job". And they are right, our duties do not include protecting anyone other than ourselves. I mean if we can then fine, but there is no stressing out over it.

10-98 10-8 Signal 4
just saying

Richmond, KY

#22 Jan 18, 2013
Green wrote:
<quoted text>
I'd say you are wrong as this sounds like an officer to me even to the nickname OTJ as in obviously abbreviation for "On The Job". And they are right, our duties do not include protecting anyone other than ourselves. I mean if we can then fine, but there is no stressing out over it.
10-98 10-8 Signal 4
Obviously, you are NOT a police officer. Your oath, should you have taken it seriously or taken it at all was to "serve and protect".
Pigs

Kennesaw, GA

#23 May 12, 2013
These officers surrounding my grandmother's house for the last 2 years pull over ANYONE who comes to visit her, even if they're just walking or riding a bike. They have no viable reason for doing this and know my grandmother has a bad heart condition, which only worsens when she finds out her friends and family are being harrassed just for stopping by. It is the same police officer/officers everytime, it's nice to know he can't do shit when I flip him off, not like they can harrass us more than they already have. My point is, these cops in our town are crooked and have hurt my family and others way to much, if they want respect, they need to earn it instead of going after innocent people just for the money the department can make. I salute you officers out there actually fighting crime instead of wasting your time on nothing.
Red Neck

San Diego, CA

#24 May 12, 2013
just saying wrote:
<quoted text>
Obviously, you are NOT a police officer. Your oath, should you have taken it seriously or taken it at all was to "serve and protect".

There is no oath. Only on Mayberry RFD. The police have no obligation to protect anyone other then themselves. It's a good thing too since they are mostly so inept they barely can watch over themselves.

But why constantly pick on them? They do have a bad job, and do not make much money. Sure they could have done better in school and gotten a better education and a real job, where the get respect. But hindsight is always 20/20, and what do you want them to do now?

They are one step ahead of food stamps and welfare, but they are trying to do good. So how about you cut them some slack.

On another note, the post above me, mam if they are stopping everyone that comes from your Grandmothers, and she is sick, how about you stop selling dope out of there or whatever you or she is doing to garner the attention.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
A Trip To Stately Wayne Manor and Fisherman's W... 49 min Trollolol 3,399
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr J-A-R-V-I-S 171,814
Mayor Barnes 1 hr Concerned citizen 2
Enersys Favortism a BIG PROBLEM! 1 hr female 26
Missing teen girl in Berea (Jun '13) 1 hr Open your eyes 8,452
"FLATLINE'S" Last Word New Sentence 2 hr translation 50
melissa brandenburg (May '09) 3 hr Truthteler 5

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages