Madison County in the 60s and 70s
Andy

United States

#142 Apr 5, 2009
You stumped me. Howard's shop was next to Coonie's Liquors, wasn't it? Big plate glass windows I think. To the right was Harlow's and then another "beer joint"---name escapes me---then next was a clothing store---Bakers????---then Ritters Liquor store, then Army goods store, then Taylor's Poolroom, then Blaine Clark's poolroom and then Pennington and Rennix(later The Dollar Store). That is my recollection of 1st Street. Help me out here.
ben

Richmond, KY

#143 Apr 5, 2009
80s chick wrote:
<quoted text>
At one point I thought the old skating rink was an aerobic place, then maybe some sort of music place-not sure?? Have no idea what the space is used for now....
I remember the Universit Inn-in later years is that where the police recruits stayed?
yeah 80's chick..it was a motel until about 1981 then it became a dormitory of sorts for police recruits..we moved out in january of 1982
ben

Richmond, KY

#144 Apr 5, 2009
80s chick wrote:
<quoted text>
Btw-I had Mrs. Marshall for 1st grade and was good friends with her daugher Wendy-even beyond college-I remember Mrs. Roberts-but didn't have her for a teacher. I also know John Hicks. I worked with his mom after I graduated college-really super nice lady...she talked about John often but not sure what he's up to now...last I heard he lived in Lexington. His dad did pass away several years ago...
I'm thinking you and I must have gone to school together??
yes i knew wendy marshall..she came to one of my birthday parties when i was a kid..yeah we definitely went to kit carson at the same time..i started kindergarten in mrs. browns class in the fall of 1978..do you know michelle marcum or diana howard? aaron turner?
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#145 Apr 5, 2009
Andy wrote:
You stumped me. Howard's shop was next to Coonie's Liquors, wasn't it? Big plate glass windows I think. To the right was Harlow's and then another "beer joint"---name escapes me---then next was a clothing store---Bakers????---then Ritters Liquor store, then Army goods store, then Taylor's Poolroom, then Blaine Clark's poolroom and then Pennington and Rennix(later The Dollar Store). That is my recollection of 1st Street. Help me out here.
vernon howards shop was on first st under golden
rule cafe toward water st off main
thanks andy for name of golden rule cafe
i had forgot the rule part
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#146 Apr 5, 2009
andy woodrow mcbride had a bar on first st close
to coonie neffs i thank he called woodrows place
Andy

Clay City, KY

#147 Apr 6, 2009
cbk wrote:
CGK: You are starting to "tax" my old brain. I believe you are right on the location of Howard's barber shop. There was one next to Coonie's just as I described before. Now, whose shop was it? I remember seeing Earl Howard "loafing" in there, and that is why I was thinking it was Howard's. Some of these names and places are starting to "galm up" the brain cells. Who was the owner of the Golden Rule---I called Louie? Keep up the good work. Woodrow McBride, I remember the name, but I cannot get it together right now; but I will before the day is out---I hope. More later.
Andy

Clay City, KY

#148 Apr 6, 2009
cbk wrote:
CBK: I just got some "intel". You are right---it was Woodrow's and then became Sam's Place owned by Sam Billings and later Margaret. Harlow had the place next door and later Big Elmer had it and called it City Restaurant. Now here's another riddle: Harlan Eddington owned one of those places around there at one time---which one and where? I remember him and that he had one but I do not recall the details.
prather

Richmond, KY

#149 Apr 6, 2009
cbk wrote:
<quoted text>
prather did you know clyde prather hard working
man
i think my aunt katherine knew him well,she is passed away now though
remember when

Richmond, KY

#150 Apr 6, 2009
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
Now, Remember When, you better check your memory. You are tttoooo young to make this mistake. Mr. & Mrs. Robinson owned THE DAIRY BAR on Big Hill Avenue. His name was Ed and her name was Vessie.They lived on North St. Ed's brothers and sister were Dick, Ben, M.M."Doc", Jessie Robinson(sister), Susie Clouse and Delphia Walters(her husband, Jay, was the lockmaster at Boonesboro). Their father was Dr. M.M. Robinson, whose farm was subdivided to make Greenway Subdivision(generally Barnes Mill, Magnolia, Meadowlark & Bobolink and where the new First Baptist Church is now located). I am 110% certain---do not challenge that---and you can see why. Dairy Cheer was on Water St. where Pally's is now located. The Halsteads owned it. By the way, the owner of Pally's Liquors has some kinship to the Robinsons, and he lives on Summit Street.
You are so right I got the name wrong,how do you remember all these things about so many people?
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#151 Apr 6, 2009
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
CGK: You are starting to "tax" my old brain. I believe you are right on the location of Howard's barber shop. There was one next to Coonie's just as I described before. Now, whose shop was it? I remember seeing Earl Howard "loafing" in there, and that is why I was thinking it was Howard's. Some of these names and places are starting to "galm up" the brain cells. Who was the owner of the Golden Rule---I called Louie? Keep up the good work. Woodrow McBride, I remember the name, but I cannot get it together right now; but I will before the day is out---I hope. More later.
andy i dont remember the owner of the golden rule
at this time harlows bar could have been woodrow
old bar also their was a place on first right
their that was a market sold produce fish i belive
it was called bailys
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#152 Apr 6, 2009
prather wrote:
<quoted text>
i think my aunt katherine knew him well,she is passed away now though
prather me and my brother new clyde boys
one was billy joe cant remember others right now
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#153 Apr 6, 2009
Andy wrote:
<quoted text>
CBK: I just got some "intel". You are right---it was Woodrow's and then became Sam's Place owned by Sam Billings and later Margaret. Harlow had the place next door and later Big Elmer had it and called it City Restaurant. Now here's another riddle: Harlan Eddington owned one of those places around there at one time---which one and where? I remember him and that he had one but I do not recall the details.
andy harlan had one but i cant remember the one
harlans wife jewel was my second cousin sam
billings also had golden horseshoe on irvin
st i think the name is right his wife margaret
was margaret aberams last name may spelled wrong
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#154 Apr 6, 2009
remember when wrote:
<quoted text>
You are so right I got the name wrong,how do you remember all these things about so many people?
remember when andy knows all this stuff because
like me he has been arround a long time he knows
a lot of good people so do i
80s chick

United States

#155 Apr 6, 2009
ben wrote:
<quoted text> yes i knew wendy marshall..she came to one of my birthday parties when i was a kid..yeah we definitely went to kit carson at the same time..i started kindergarten in mrs. browns class in the fall of 1978..do you know michelle marcum or diana howard? aaron turner?
I had Mrs Brown too-i was in the morning class-I know and graduated in 91 with all of those you mentioned...I kept in touch with Diana all through school and for several years after college and we would get together from time to time...haven't seen her in a few years...she is married with 2 kids....everyone gets busy...you lose track...you know how it goes!
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#156 Apr 6, 2009
The good ole days wrote:
Burger Broil Resturant next to where Gateway is now.
Heel taps on your shoes.
My dad telling me to turn the antenna for the tv.
Frishes with carhops on the corner of Lancaster and bypass.
Kirksville school's squeaky wood floors.
kirksville had some pretty good basketball
players back in late 40s and 50s harold inabit
was one artie ross was another 4 th grade
teacher liluin warren
ben

Richmond, KY

#157 Apr 6, 2009
80s chick wrote:
<quoted text>
I had Mrs Brown too-i was in the morning class-I know and graduated in 91 with all of those you mentioned...I kept in touch with Diana all through school and for several years after college and we would get together from time to time...haven't seen her in a few years...she is married with 2 kids....everyone gets busy...you lose track...you know how it goes!
well if you graduated in 91 then we are the same age..i'm sure we had some classes together..especially since you had marshall and westerfield because i had both of those teachers..you've got me curious now..do you have a myspace?
I Remember

Lexington, KY

#158 Apr 6, 2009
Blazen37 wrote:
<quoted text>
My Granny and Paw ran the Silver Dollar,lol then my dad bought it and then he made it the Peppermint Lounge.
Charles Thomas opened it.My Grandfather made the two buildings into one.
cbk

Fort Thomas, KY

#159 Apr 6, 2009
I Remember wrote:
<quoted text>
Charles Thomas opened it.My Grandfather made the two buildings into one.
was the silver dollar on water st or irvine road
I Remember

Lexington, KY

#160 Apr 6, 2009
On Irvine St. across from LP Liquor
Andy

Clay City, KY

#161 Apr 6, 2009
remember when wrote:
<quoted text>
I have always gotten around even as a teenager; and I had a lot of people who have been good to me over the years---maybe better than I deserved. I have always tried to keep my word at all cost, and maybe that has made a difference. Besides, I guess that I am basically nosey, but I hate to admit it. Knowledge is good.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
James Robinson 7 min Elijah go Blue 8
Tonetta Hoevenaar (Mar '15) 1 hr Yassssssssss 321
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 1 hr Simmons 164,753
Kenneth Barger Senior 1 hr translation 5
Harley Kent Lee PADGETT 1 hr translation 2
Kevin Jenkins 2 hr translation 37
Shame on you! 3 hr Tyrone 6

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages