Madison County in the 60s and 70s
OLD TIMER

Louisville, KY

#1566 Sep 2, 2012
oold ickybob powell play the fiddle all over, clubs , radio, some tv, he was not to bad,
maybe

United States

#1567 Sep 2, 2012
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
Is Fred's nick-name worm? I remember a guy named worm from union city, but I do not remember his real name. In my posting before I made a few mistakes. I have an I-pad and my fingers accidentally slip sometimes.
I think his name is pat allen
DENNIS

Port Richey, FL

#1568 Dec 7, 2012
Anyone have pictures of Ernie's Cozy Corner?? will buy
Westover Rover

Mount Sterling, KY

#1569 Dec 7, 2012
HUMM wrote:
<quoted text>
remember me cooney,, i worked for you,, diddle ,,,
I remember placing horse race bets with Big Ed from Shep's after it closed down. He worked as a security guard at one of the old tobacco warehouses around 3rd street. Always liked talkin' and bettin' with Big Ed. He sure had a lot of stories. Made some money and lost some money with him. I'm pretty sure he was only a middle man tho and he probably got a cut either way. Miss him and those times.
Eddie

Winchester, KY

#1570 Dec 28, 2012
Ron Hounshell wrote:
<quoted text>is this the same Eddie who lived next door to Treda Gail?
Yup :)
Westover Rover

Winchester, KY

#1571 Dec 28, 2012
I Remember wrote:
Also State Bank on Big Hill Ave.
I was riding around in my old neighborhood(Westover) and saw where Tipton Court is being torn down. Used to have friends there, the Winklers come to mind. Played sports, mostly football on the field between Tipton and the Richmond Greenhouse-good times. Hard to see old neighborhoods come to an end, but that's probably just the start in the area I grew up in and loved. So sad, but change happens and if there wasn't change, we'd all be stuck in another era; probably not a bad idea sometimes. Still miss that old neighborhood, though!
old sod dog

Lebanon, KY

#1572 Dec 29, 2012
i lived at the end of tipton in that little house on the right 40 somethin yrs ago...celebrated my 16th birthday there with some boones farm wine the night mlk was shot...used to walk up to that store on the corner several times a day..
Clyde Macy IN

Rochester, IN

#1573 Feb 11, 2013
I am thinking Chelma Winkler, once married to Chenault Winkler ran the Golden Rule Restaurant. My dad gave me a half dollar to get a haircut at the Ballard Bros shop and when I went to pay he said 60 cents. I told him I only had 50 and graciously said that was fine. I remember one of the brothers owned a Kaiser or Fraser auto at the time. I went to school at Waco with Elmer Lutes and Harlow Webb. I knew Lutes had passed but it was not until today I learned Harlow too had died. I'm guessing any betting that took place involved Game roosters.
Hartford miller

Richmond, KY

#1574 Feb 11, 2013
Remember me I sat on the bench at Waco grocery.Charlie lutes rode a tractor everywhere.
Travelling Man

Richmond, KY

#1575 Feb 12, 2013
Hartford miller wrote:
Remember me I sat on the bench at Waco grocery.Charlie lutes rode a tractor everywhere.
I do remember getting big assed bolony sammiches from that store when I was a wee tot.
dennis

Port Richey, FL

#1576 Feb 13, 2013
thought "Rummy" ran golden rule. same people?? didn't know his wife.
westover

Richmond, KY

#1577 Feb 15, 2013
old sod dog wrote:
i lived at the end of tipton in that little house on the right 40 somethin yrs ago...celebrated my 16th birthday there with some boones farm wine the night mlk was shot...used to walk up to that store on the corner several times a day..
Remember Randy Hankins, Luttrell boys, Winklers, Doug Sallee, sister Linda, Whitaker boys on Ky. Ave.,Rawlings brothers, Finlay bros, Benton bros. Probably forgot a lot. Any more? Names, stories?
Clyde Macy IN

Rochester, IN

#1578 Mar 20, 2013
Chenault loved his brandy. I remember as a kid I was at the barn with him and he sent me to the house to get his brandy. I didn't know than what Brandy was. Chelma gave me the bottle to take to him. A few years earlier we rented Chenault's farm on Concord Road.
Berean

Richmond, KY

#1579 Mar 20, 2013
Musikologist wrote:
For the ppl on the south end of the county, Berea, does anybody remember a junk store called Egghead Harris's? Am I the only one who remembers that place? It was on US 25 South, across from where the old Truckstop was.
I sure do. Could find treasures init!
old friend

Chicago, IL

#1580 Mar 21, 2013
nicholasville wrote:
Thank you Poosey Girl. Ed Adams was a wonderful, fair, caring man whom many loved and respected. I agree with you about the need for discipline in schools.
I am sorry that Chester's brother in law was embarassed but for ANYONE to state they are glad someone is dead is totally cold and cruel. Apparently the paddling didn't take...
Ed Adams is my father and I appreciate your words, Poosey Girl.
if mr ed adams was your father you were a lucky person, i attended Kirksville from 1950-1959 mr adams became principle after mr mccay died.although we really respected him i cant say we were afraid of him. he was always fair but stern, this was in the day before cell phones and we knew that a note from him or a teacher was big trouble at home.we were a large poor family that got picked on and i can remember him trying to stop this.anyone remember a boy called big ed? i truly wish i could meet him today , he made our lives miserable on the bus and at school mr adams tried to help us with this.anyway just ranting, this site brings back many memories some good some bad. rip mr adams
here

Frankfort, KY

#1581 Jun 2, 2013
http://cpcfh.com/pages/current_obituaries.php...
Just wondering wrote:
<quoted text>
That is terrible! I left Richmond a long time ago. I was very good friends with him. I heard Kevin Caudill died also. What about Jed snow and Danny Morgan. Did they die too? I remember. Harvey t, will sharp, mike rice, the barber boys, Darrell Witt, Timmy, mike , Bo Caudill. Danny Agee, tommy Richardson, cousin Eddie and his gods little acre. The over hang. I think about these guys all the time and wonder how they are doing. Richmond in the late 70"s was the best place on earth. Bear hissom and his very funny looking two tone care. I will really miss him, he was a great friend! His mother was my health teacher, she was great .
hotdog

Frankfort, KY

#1582 Jun 2, 2013
Jimmy Lowery is deceased and Tony "Hotdog" Revel lives in Harrodsburg!
Big T wrote:
Jimmy lowery ,Tony Revel any one remember them ?
Richmond Guy

Winchester, KY

#1583 Jun 2, 2013
CB Outlaw wrote:
Does anyone remember the 50's style diner down on water street? I asked my mom and dad what the name of it was a while back and they could not remember. The building is still there but it's a liquor store now. It's on the same side as the old post office across the street from the old Paco's.
The first thing I remember at that location was a fast food restaurant, Dairy Cheer. It was brand new in the late 60's. Its colors were green and white.

After that there was a very good pizza place called Joe's Pizza. It opened up around '77. It was very, very good. They had great deep-dish pizza. They also had a buffet for lunch that at first included pizza, chicken and a soft drink. I think the college crowd overwhelmed them because they kept changing the deal on the buffet. It only lasted a couple of years.
Richmond Guy

Winchester, KY

#1584 Jun 2, 2013
Two words: Ma Kelly's!
sus

Chicago, IL

#1585 Jun 7, 2013
Dr Zoot wrote:
<quoted text>
Andy,
Maybe someone else questioned this, but just in case... I remember when Tarp Howard opened the "Bear and Bull" (and the Red Barn), but I don't remember it ever being called the "Bulls Horn", unless you're talking about a different joint or maybe that was after I departed Richmond in '79. Anyway, do you remember what the Bear and Bull was before Tarp? Before I left for the Air Force in '68 it was a carry out/bait shop/lunch counter with a few stools. Ate some great chili there, served up by a guy named Wiley... just can't remember the name of the place.
I remember the Bulks Horn from 77. Bobby Jan k owned it

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bible study rules for public schools proposed (Feb '10) 39 min CriminalForever 151,888
Too Good For The Old / Used Up Ugly Fat Women 1 hr Why So Serious 7
Woman In Black Dress and Glasses I Saw Leaving ... 4 hr Edtardation 183
Loud cars and mufflers (Mar '09) 4 hr That Guy 40
Milo Thompson Technolgies Free Web pages (Nov '12) 6 hr smileyface 4
Idiots 6 hr Anne 5
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 7 hr Doobie Time 38,712

Richmond Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages