Madison County in the 60s and 70s
Ron Hounshell

Tallahassee, FL

#1444 Apr 10, 2012
Don Griifith wrote:
Looking for more information about Black
Brothers Bus Lines and photos.
My father drove for them a couple years, during which he drove students to Washington DC for senior class trip.
Trying to find "Weezie" from Somerset,KY.
Contact at [email protected]
My father (Andrew) used to drive for Black Brother's Bus Lines back in the early to mid-60s. It was located down on second street below Madison Central.
shar

Carbondale, IL

#1445 Apr 10, 2012
well hello Mr. Hounshell, u use to live next door to me a life time ago on Janwell dr.
klb

Lewisville, TX

#1446 Apr 12, 2012
I just stumbled onto this and even though it is a few years old I thought I would let you know that the owners of the Golden Rule Restaurant were my grandparents Russell "Rummy" and Lillian Salter. They retired in the early 70s. Loved my summer visits to Richmond, KY.!
Richmondite

United States

#1447 Apr 12, 2012
klb wrote:
I just stumbled onto this and even though it is a few years old I thought I would let you know that the owners of the Golden Rule Restaurant were my grandparents Russell "Rummy" and Lillian Salter. They retired in the early 70s. Loved my summer visits to Richmond, KY.!
Don't remember Golden Rule Restaurant. Was it maybe Ideal Restaurant later on? That restaurant was I believe about in the same area where the current City Hall is now. I ate there YEARS ago and it was kind of like Opal's-home cooked food. Very good if I recall. Seems like the Burns family ran Ideal? Had a lot of good times up the street at the old Towne Cinema. They had cheap movies and also some of the best buttered popcorn I've ever eaten in my life. The manager, Mr. Carter was one of the nicest men I've ever met in my life. I rarely go to movies anymore, mostly because of the price, but Mr. Carter always made you feel welcome with a smile on his face and occasionally a pipe in his mouth. In those times, there was a ticket seller in a booth who punched out a ticket and then you'd go through a door where a guy/girl would tear your ticket, give you the stub and you'd usually go the concession stand to get your popcorn, candy, drink, go find a seat and watch ONE movie!! Sometimes there would be a double feature, for no extra charge! There wasn't more than one movie going on at the same time, while as it is today, you can hear the sound of the movie next door while you're trying to watch/listen to your movie. I guess some of the younger generation have no idea what I'm talkin' about, but I miss those times. Anyone else?
dennis

New Port Richey, FL

#1448 Apr 13, 2012
golden rule was next door to speck's bar. or family dog in later years. food was great homemade. rummy and his wife were extremely nice to us silly college kids. they had the best biscuits that needed no butter. wish i had the recipe.
never

Lexington, KY

#1449 Apr 20, 2012
never
Driver

United States

#1450 Apr 20, 2012
never wrote:
never
WHAT!!!!!
Driver

United States

#1451 Apr 20, 2012
Ron Hounshell wrote:
<quoted text>it was Ricky, not quite the athlete that Shelby and Dwight were, but he still would play with us and I dont know if it was fact or fiction, but it seemed Westover had the best athletes even though very few played once they got to High School. That vacant lot below the flower shop was our proving ground and for many of us our saving grace!
Went to an auction in that neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. Saw some old friends. Kinda' brought tears to my eyes just thinkin' about the good ole days when you didn't have to worry about going out at night, cruisin'/ walkin' through the neighborhood and not have to worry about getting shot. Just havin' a good time and talkin' to anyone that you ran into. God, I miss those times.
Music Man

Nicholasville, KY

#1452 Apr 20, 2012
Driver wrote:
<quoted text>Went to an auction in that neighborhood a couple of weeks ago. Saw some old friends. Kinda' brought tears to my eyes just thinkin' about the good ole days when you didn't have to worry about going out at night, cruisin'/ walkin' through the neighborhood and not have to worry about getting shot. Just havin' a good time and talkin' to anyone that you ran into. God, I miss those times.
me too Driver. I remember in the early 70's, we went to Florida for two weeks and didn't even lock our doors. I miss having great neighbors, and ppl looked out for one another. Good times.
Old Time Richmondite

Richmond, KY

#1453 Apr 21, 2012
I remember Richmond and Madison County in the 1970's.

A bunch of crooked politicians.

City and County were all from the same family tree because of the nepotism.

You could get out of almost any crime if you knew the right people and greased the right palms.

Some things never change. It's good to be from Richmond.
Westover Rover

United States

#1454 Apr 21, 2012
Old Time Richmondite wrote:
I remember Richmond and Madison County in the 1970's.
A bunch of crooked politicians.
City and County were all from the same family tree because of the nepotism.
You could get out of almost any crime if you knew the right people and greased the right palms.
Some things never change. It's good to be from Richmond.
You seem kind of bitter about those times? Remember anything good about those times? The good times that I remember far out weigh the bad times. Kind of laid back with few worries. Why do you want to bring politics into this good memory topic? Oh, I think I can guess. You were probably a blossoming criminal then since you're talking about getting out of almost "any crime". Are you responding from the MCDC? Happy detention!
klb

Lewisville, TX

#1455 Apr 21, 2012
dennis wrote:
golden rule was next door to speck's bar. or family dog in later years. food was great homemade. rummy and his wife were extremely nice to us silly college kids. they had the best biscuits that needed no butter. wish i had the recipe.
So cool to see this post from one of those "silly college kids" that knew my grandparents. They were so special to me. I was young, but I do remember how much the college kids used to come there and the TKE frat made my grandfather "Rummy" a honorary member. They really enjoyed the college students. Thanks for posting!
Confidential Informant

Richmond, KY

#1456 Apr 21, 2012
Westover Rover wrote:
<quoted text>You seem kind of bitter about those times? Remember anything good about those times? The good times that I remember far out weigh the bad times. Kind of laid back with few worries. Why do you want to bring politics into this good memory topic? Oh, I think I can guess. You were probably a blossoming criminal then since you're talking about getting out of almost "any crime". Are you responding from the MCDC? Happy detention!
No, never committed a crime. I have just seen a lot of crimes swept under the rug. Yes there were good times, but it's still basically the same families doing the same things that they have always done.
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1457 Apr 21, 2012
Good ole days wrote:
It's nice to see nice thoughts on here for awhile.
Old Mr. Moore at Central, making you write Good Nature and Good Sense hundreds of times.
If only we could go back to the good ole days!
Yea I remember mr Moore, good nature and good sense must ever join to err is human to forgive is devine. It is most unfortunate the principle of this school is not Devine, but perhaps I should not have erred.
I also remember yesterday's and time zone game rooms. I had a blast in those places.
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1458 Apr 21, 2012
Oh my my wrote:
What about the day that downtown was burning, you know, where city hall is now. Sheperds pool room was next door, then Dougs menswear.. Was it Mayberrys across the street on the next corner, where Curriors Music is now, they served one of the finest milkshakes in town, Kroger was downtown and it burned twice, and you could go over and watch the creek running next to where CVS and the dollar store are now,. The big biker meets out at Greenscrossing, and the dragstip that was open before they built that roundtrack that still runs today I guess. Time Zone was the first arcade, then Yesterdays, Lemmon 714's ludes that is, then Underworld where Hamms B P is, it was the coolest of the three. The shating rink behind ACE hardware was brand new, first rink in Richmond... You could drive all night every night, and never be bothered by the law.
I was one of the few girls that played fooseball. I played tournaments at phone3 at 14 years old. I had a blast. The field parties were the best. I miss those times and all my friends. I moved away but I think about Richmond often.
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1459 Apr 22, 2012
remember when wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah everyone that wanted to skip school went next door to the station before school and then they would walk away until they got smart and started watchin kids and then they would chase them down.Drive in was fun but didn't they also show a lot of x-rated movies?Oh yeah I almost got caught skipping beacause I walked away one morning,got chased but didn't get caught
I almost got caught a lot of times,lol. Mr Ross, he did finally figure out what was going on in that gas station.
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1460 Apr 22, 2012
The good ole days wrote:
<quoted text>
Bull's Horn was the bar before Monroe Brock remodled it and made it the Maverick.
My best friends mother worked there, Norma FIke
Driver

United States

#1461 Apr 22, 2012
Just me wrote:
<quoted text>
I almost got caught a lot of times,lol. Mr Ross, he did finally figure out what was going on in that gas station.
Seems like Mr. Ross had a lot of "THINGS" "figured" out! Good times back in the day. It was just a blast driving from Frisch's(spelling?) to Jerry's, stopping to talk with friends and not exchanging pills or shooting at one another. Just good times. Only problem was backed up traffic driving around these places. Not really a problem, tho', just a little more time to make a little eye contact with some of the honeys. WEKY AM radio was THE station to lisen to at the time, THEN came the eight track player! Most people under 20 probably have no idea what I'm talking about, but I sure miss those times!
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1462 Apr 22, 2012
The good ole days wrote:
From Madison Central:
Mrs. Whaley (english), she teaches at National college. Her husband Mr. Whaley was principle of Clark Moore and also was teacher at Kirksville before that.
Coach Ray
Mrs. Stocker
Kirksville principle Mr. Adams
Yea I remember mr whaley. You did not want him to call your name on the intercom first every morning.
Just me

Cookeville, TN

#1463 Apr 22, 2012
CHESTER wrote:
Yep. Mike, Tim and Mark.
We'd play, we'd fight, we'd play, we'd fight.
I'm one of the reasons he's so tough!
Are these guys still around?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Richmond Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Song Title Game (Aug '09) 42 min Jennifer Renee 37,634
Any Single Woman Out There Want To Go Out With ... 48 min Audacious Artifice 45
chad massingil 48 min hannahxoxo 3
Ryan's restraunt 1 hr Money Man 7
Looking for Shane Lamb for reconnect 1 hr cricketdawn 1
Meeting david 1 hr Duh 5
Tim price 1 hr Curious 3
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Richmond Mortgages